Where would you go to disappear/blend in? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Where would you go to disappear/blend in?

emt1581
03-31-2012, 14:07
Let's say you had a personal SHTF. Might sound odd but...the first few days after you hit the lotto. Maybe you have someone after you. Maybe a stalker/ex just won't take the hint. Could be something else. Whatever it is... where would you go to disappear?

If you are not comfy sharing your specific destination, tell us about it. In the middle of nowhere or a huge city with lots of people? Why is that the place you would go to? If you have one, how would your family fit into the equation?

Plus, how would you realistically make it happen? I mean, not all of us are sitting on six or seven figures and able to just up and leave. That's another thing that sounds odd, but a BOB, unless it's stuffed with cash, won't help you a great deal in this case IMO.

Thanks

-Emt1581

Protus
03-31-2012, 14:35
Let's say you had a personal SHTF. Might sound odd but...the first few days after you hit the lotto. Maybe you have someone after you. Maybe a stalker/ex just won't take the hint. Could be something else. Whatever it is... where would you go to disappear?

If you are not comfy sharing your specific destination, tell us about it. In the middle of nowhere or a huge city with lots of people? Why is that the place you would go to? If you have one, how would your family fit into the equation?

Plus, how would you realistically make it happen? I mean, not all of us are sitting on six or seven figures and able to just up and leave. That's another thing that sounds odd, but a BOB, unless it's stuffed with cash, won't help you a great deal in this case IMO.

Thanks

-Emt1581

well if i won the lotto...i'd just go backpacking for a long time.
lotta trails out there.....

same thing if i had no money...walking is cheap..

Glockdude1
03-31-2012, 14:47
Any big city in the USA.

:cool:

Creatism
03-31-2012, 14:51
If I won the lotto, I'd buy a sail boat and disappear for a few yrs.
Otherwise the backpacking idea sounds good too!

Typed from my iPhone.

emt1581
03-31-2012, 14:57
Any big city in the USA.

:cool:

Why a city vs. the woods/middle of nowhere?

Thanks

-Emt1581

Dexters
03-31-2012, 15:07
Maybe a stalker/ex just won't take the hint. Could be something else. Whatever it is... where would you go to disappear?

EMT - if you still have to work at your current job you have a problem because all the BG has to do is wait there and follow you home.

If you don't have to work - buy a small RV and travel or go to a RV park wherever you like.

Rumbler_G20
03-31-2012, 15:17
If your job is more important than your need to disappear then you do not need to disappear.

Simple stuff.:dunno:

Warp
03-31-2012, 15:24
In this hypothetical:

Does the risk outweigh my need to keep working at my job?

Does the risk outweigh my need to keep attending classes?

What kind of financial resources do I have?

What/who is after me? What is their position vs my immediate family?

R_W
03-31-2012, 15:25

Thanks

-Emt1581

There is a LOT of anonymity in a crowd. And no new guy stigma like in a small town. That is where I would go for the lotto example.

I have several circles of friends that aren't connected to each other; I could choose the one least connected to the issue. A couple of them are pretty much under the radar, not complete ghosts but close.

I have a few horror stories about this topic from friends. It is HARD to disappear unless YOU CUT ALL TIES. No friends or family, cell phone, social media, email, bank, credit cards, car. You have to COMPLETELY walk away from EVERYTHING. That part from the movies is true.

Women go to a shelter to get away from an abusive husband/boyfriend and keep the phone with the FAMILY LOCATOR function on it. Or keep posting pictures on FB with GEOTAGS. :faint:

Glockdude1
03-31-2012, 15:32
There is a LOT of anonymity in a crowd. And no new guy stigma like in a small town. That is where I would go for the lotto example.

:agree:

Bren
03-31-2012, 15:34
Alaska or Texas or, as others have said, a big city like Miami, Houston, etc.

Breadman03
03-31-2012, 16:21
I would hit the interstate system with a full tank of gas and be somewhere within a few thousand square miles within hours. With a couple of choice guns, of course.

emt1581
03-31-2012, 16:28
In this hypothetical:

Does the risk outweigh my need to keep working at my job?

Does the risk outweigh my need to keep attending classes?

What kind of financial resources do I have?

What/who is after me? What is their position vs my immediate family?

The need to keep a job is an issue.

For me, I can take a few weeks off of work without any risk. But if it is a life/death situation I could care less about anything other than keeping myself/family safe.

Finances are going to be different for all of us. That's why this is an individual thing that I can't shed light on.

I gave a few examples of "threats". But I'd like to have the ability to do this alone as well as with family. But that raises another issue. If immediate family is not in danger and can be stashed at a friend/family member's home....what's to say the "threat" does not switch gears and go after them?

Personally, the only way I can see leaving without my family is if LE/Gov is the "threat". Such a discussion probably would have little place here.

-Emt1581

Warp
03-31-2012, 16:37
The need to keep a job is an issue.

Can you extrapolate?

For me, I can take a few weeks off of work without any risk. But if it is a life/death situation I could care less about anything other than keeping myself/family safe.

Then I'll answer assuming I can take a few weeks off...unless it's a life/death situation. Is it?

I gave a few examples of "threats".

A stalker who won't take the hint and winning the lottery are pretty damn different 'threats'

How about narrowing it down?

Your question is about as useful as a carry issues thread that asks "If you were threatened, would you shoot?"

emt1581
03-31-2012, 17:36
Can you extrapolate?

Then I'll answer assuming I can take a few weeks off...unless it's a life/death situation. Is it?

A stalker who won't take the hint and winning the lottery are pretty damn different 'threats'

How about narrowing it down?

Your question is about as useful as a carry issues thread that asks "If you were threatened, would you shoot?"

I wasn't thinking of any threat in particular...just one that meant I had to get out of dodge...but I was the only one that had to do so.

Feel free to name your own threats.

I'm just curious if people would pick lots of people/city or middle of no where. If it would depend on the threat, as I'm gathering from your follow-ups, fill in the blanks for both.

-Emt1581

Warp
03-31-2012, 17:42
I wasn't thinking of any threat in particular...just one that meant I had to get out of dodge...but I was the only one that had to do so.

Get in the car. Drive. Don't be followed. Go far away. Nowhere predictable for any reason. Stay there.

What kind of destination? Big enough that people won't recognize me as new/an outsider. Big enough people won't get asking personal questions or they won't think anything of it/be offended if I avoid such questions.

However, I find it hard to envision a scenario where I feel threatened enough to pick up and go far far away while leaving my wife here. But hey, our car can take both of us...and the dogs...with room to spare.

emt1581
03-31-2012, 17:47
Get in the car. Drive. Don't be followed. Go far away. Nowhere predictable for any reason. Stay there.

What kind of destination? Big enough that people won't recognize me as new/an outsider. Big enough people won't get asking personal questions or they won't think anything of it/be offended if I avoid such questions.

However, I find it hard to envision a scenario where I feel threatened enough to pick up and go far far away while leaving my wife here. But hey, our car can take both of us...and the dogs...with room to spare.

Nowhere predictable goes both ways right? This is interesting...means you probably can't have any previous attachment to or experience there either...no?

From your "kind of destination" description is sounds like you are describing a large city. Just my thoughts mind you.

The more I think about this question the more I wonder why I would be running away instead of addressing the problem??

Only ones that come to mind is if I win the lotto or have a gang after me for some reason...

-Emt1581

R_W
03-31-2012, 17:54
However, I find it hard to envision a scenario where I feel threatened enough to pick up and go far far away while leaving my wife here.

+1. All my plans include family. I may play decoy--send my family offgrid while I leave a trail.

I am not sure what would take me to that point, though, as I'm to the point I won't run (from home) for any foreseeable reason.

Warp
03-31-2012, 17:55
Nowhere predictable goes both ways right? This is interesting...means you probably can't have any previous attachment to or experience there either...no?

From your "kind of destination" description is sounds like you are describing a large city. Just my thoughts mind you.

The more I think about this question the more I wonder why I would be running away instead of addressing the problem??

Only ones that come to mind is if I win the lotto or have a gang after me for some reason...

-Emt1581

It would be somewhere I have never been before.

It doesn't have to be a large city. A place doesn't have to be very big to meet that description. It just can't be somewhere so small/out in the country that everybody knows everybody. As long as it is big enough that you can show up and walk down the street without anybody knowing you are 'new', that will work.

Gang? I'm not leaving by myself.

emt1581
03-31-2012, 17:56
+1. All my plans include family. I may play decoy--send my family offgrid while I leave a trail.

I am not sure what would take me to that point, though, as I'm to the point I won't run (from home) for any foreseeable reason.

I've thought similarly but instead of a trail...just stay put. Either that or go somewhere secluded so you can control/monitor the environment somewhat.

-Emt1581

emt1581
03-31-2012, 17:57
Gang? I'm not leaving by myself.

No no, I didn't mean it like that. I mean why run in the first place....not alone.

-Emt1581

Warp
03-31-2012, 17:59

That is a potential scenario but even then I have a hard time believing I would ever voluntarily separate when under duress.

Warp
03-31-2012, 18:01
No no, I didn't mean it like that. I mean why run in the first place....not alone.

-Emt1581

Why run?

Because I am only one person.

Because I am not going to go vigilante and take the law into my own hands (IE seriously violating the law).

Because you don't lose the fight that you avoid.

EMT, you never cease to amaze me. If you want to stand your ground at your home/take the fight to the gang, go for it. I would wish you all the luck I could. Then I would wonder how long until I was at your funeral...or not at your funeral because that would possibly put me at risk/identify me as a potential target.

bdcochran
03-31-2012, 18:16
I knew a guy who wanted to disappear:
1. move and never communicate with friends;
2. move and never communicate with relatives;
3. change your name
4. do not provide a forwarding address
5. give up your credit cards
6. get rid of your real property
7. change your accounts from your last tax return
8. change your occupation'
9. terminate your professional memberships and do not practice an occupation in which you have a license currently
10. terminate subscriptions

The guy did this and became a deputy sheriff in a different state. Whitey Bulger did it, Bolster, and lived in Santa Monica for years. He was turned in by his girlfriend's friend.:wavey:

coastal4974
03-31-2012, 18:30
:wavey:

http://i456.photobucket.com/albums/qq286/whylookhere/beachcabin.jpg

gh0st614
03-31-2012, 20:04

Thanks

-Emt1581

I think the safest thing would be to goto a city you have never been before. People stand out in the country especially if they are not local. Its alot easier to blend in and be a ghost in a big city.

But it really depends who is loooking for you, if its a stalker or a exgf or something I take alot less precautions. If it was something more organized you would have to be very disciplined.

inzone
03-31-2012, 21:33
any mid to large size city with good public transportation, bus,subway, elevated train etc. also, preferably one with a lot of transient folks, tourists, etc. where you can pay in cash and not attract attention. I guess i learned somethin from readin those Ludlum novels!

lawman800
04-01-2012, 05:26
If I win the lotto, I am moving overseas. I have good spot already picked out.

kirgi08
04-01-2012, 06:34
Costa Rica ?

The term is "Ghost". Could "one" vanish,yep both of us could.Plans are just that,it's just that simple.'08.

lawman800
04-01-2012, 12:13
Yes, it doesn't have to be that complicated. Just pick a spot that works and go.

NecoDude
04-01-2012, 13:34
A country boy can survive... but I would have to be in the country I think. I'm not street wise in any way, shape or form so I think I'd stick out like a nun in (insert wherever nuns don't belong)....

Unless there's an app for fitting into a big city...

Dexters
04-01-2012, 15:39
A country boy can survive... but I would have to be in the country I think. I'm not street wise in any way, shape or form so I think I'd stick out like a nun in (insert wherever nuns don't belong)....

Unless there's an app for fitting into a big city...

Country people would notice a new face. If the BG knows your general area, his asking around might find you.

If you are going to 'The Big City', they can be expensive and if you are looking for an apartment you will need to provide references - previous rentals, previous jobs, current job, bank info etc. When that info is being checked out the apt manager is telling people where you are. If, you living on the streets, in your car or a hotel in The Big City then you are OK.

Other options - hike the Appalachian Trail, bike, walk, motorcycle around the USA.

Warp
04-01-2012, 16:43
Country people would notice a new face. If the BG knows your general area, his asking around might find you.

If you are going to 'The Big City', they can be expensive and if you are looking for an apartment you will need to provide references - previous rentals, previous jobs, current job, bank info etc. When that info is being checked out the apt manager is telling people where you are. If, you living on the streets, in your car or a hotel in The Big City then you are OK.

Other options - hike the Appalachian Trail, bike, walk, motorcycle around the USA.

Depends what kind of apartment you get, and how you pay.

Dexters
04-01-2012, 16:56
Depends what kind of apartment you get, and how you pay.

Right, I forgot about a weekly 'cuatro paredes'.

Warp
04-01-2012, 16:57
Which brings its own problems and potential issues, of course.

9jeeps
04-01-2012, 17:08
Wouldn't change a thing. But one would have to win at a lottery. To do that one would have to buy a ticket or so. I don't so all remains the same.

gunowner1
04-01-2012, 17:43
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenneth_%22Speedy%22_Raulerson
This guy disappeared for a long time.

emt1581
04-01-2012, 17:54

Good points all around. Looks like, unless you are willing to live out of your car...and even the parking will cost you a LOT in a major city... you will have to live in a roach infested hotel where the chance of getting bit, infected, or shot is probably pretty high.

The trail is an idea. I could do that in a heart beat any time of year for a LOOONGGGG time with the added bonus of being able to control my environment/perimeter. My wife and infant son... no chance.

-Emt1581

RedHaze
04-01-2012, 18:50
Head on out to some wild country that I know well.

The wife and kids can make do. There are enough old mines, miners shacks, cowpunch cabins, etc to provide more than enough shelter in all but the most extreme phases of weather. And as an added bonus, a lot of the old timer's homes have old orchards nearby, as well as springs.

http://www.traditionalmountaineering.org/images/SteensPack-in_W043.jpg
http://mappery.com/maps/Steens-Mountain-Topo-Map.jpg

Dexters
04-01-2012, 19:44
The trail is an idea. I could do that in a heart beat any time of year for a LOOONGGGG time with the added bonus of being able to control my environment/perimeter. My wife and infant son... no chance.

-Emt1581

Don't forget about that RV idea. It could double with bugging out.

Get a lot of cash to pay for gas, RV parks etc and you would be difficult to find.

Warp
04-01-2012, 19:48
RV came immediately to my mind as well. Lots of RV parks, state parks, forests, national parks, forests, KOAs, etc etc. If you can afford to buy one upfront and you really need to disappear for awhile, and are either going by yourself or you get one big enough that whoever/whatever can fit with you...pretty sweet.

emt1581
04-01-2012, 19:54
Don't forget about that RV idea. It could double with bugging out.

Get a lot of cash to pay for gas, RV parks etc and you would be difficult to find.

That's a damn good idea!

Only concern I would have is somehow tracking the vehicle (i.e. On-Star, Lo-Jack, etc.). Someone with some sort of connection could easily track it.

But otherwise, I think this makes a lot of sense. Plus you don't have to travel anywhere odd or uncomfortable. Just find a wal-mart parking lot outside of your AO and hunker down...move to a different one every night or every other night...

Again, my only concern would be a vehicle locator of some kind.

The one I like the most, I forget it's name, but it looks like a large van. Inside, it has room to sleep 3-4 people, bathroom, kitchen, etc... PERFECT!

...how do you eliminate tracking though?

Thanks

-Emt1581

Dexters
04-01-2012, 20:02
That's a damn good idea!

Only concern I would have is somehow tracking the vehicle (i.e. On-Star, Lo-Jack, etc.). Someone with some sort of connection could easily track it.

But otherwise, I think this makes a lot of sense. Plus you don't have to travel anywhere odd or uncomfortable. Just find a wal-mart parking lot outside of your AO and hunker down...move to a different one every night or every other night...

Again, my only concern would be a vehicle locator of some kind.

The one I like the most, I forget it's name, but it looks like a large van. Inside, it has room to sleep 3-4 people, bathroom, kitchen, etc... PERFECT!

...how do you eliminate tracking though?

Thanks

-Emt1581

I don't know about the tracking.

The all in one vans tend to be expensive. Plus you have to unhook electric and sewer whenever you want to leave the RV park to go to the store.

Look more at a travel trailer that you pull with a pick up. A 21 footer would be more than enough. With the price of gas going up the cost of a used one will be going down.

Go to www.woodalls.com to find RV parks and the cost - monthly rates are very reasonable - except for Fla in the winter - but you have to pay for electric.

EMT, you would like the idea of going off the grid with one of these. Look up "Slab City" in Arizona or New Mexico.

emt1581
04-01-2012, 20:08

The all in one vans tend to be expensive. Plus you have to unhook electric and sewer whenever you want to leave the RV park to go to the store.

Look more at a travel trailer that you pull with a pick up. A 21 footer would be more than enough. With the price of gas going up the cost of a used one will be going down.

Roadtrek is what I was thinking of.

As far as I can tell, no need to give up any "luxuries" in life (toilet, shower, bed, heat/ac, etc). They are about as expensive as any BMW, Mercedes, etc...

I don't like the fact that they have to be registered. Other than that, I imagine any tracking devices can be disabled, plus I can store the thing in my garage.

Just park it between two larger RV's at wally-world or some radom/off-road place.... like a small home on wheels...with enough gas money it'd work quite well as far as I see it.

-Emt1581

emt1581
04-01-2012, 20:12

Go to www.woodalls.com to find RV parks and the cost - monthly rates are very reasonable - except for Fla in the summer - but you have to pay for electric.

EMT, you would like the idea of going off the grid with one of these. Look up "Slab City" in Arizona or New Mexico.

Giving the BG's the most generous amount of credit possible here....I wouldn't buy an RV and then take it to an RV park. Again, with any connection, they would learn I had an RV and then check RV parks. One of the global/nationwide gangs could put out an APB of sorts and search them easily.

Wal-mart parking lots or middle of no where would work for sleeping...while awake I could take care of whatever business needed.

-Emt1581

Dexters
04-01-2012, 20:17
http://blog.vagabonders-supreme.net/

emt1581
04-01-2012, 20:22
http://blog.vagabonders-supreme.net/

I'll take a more in depth look tomorrow. Only thing I would add to this vehicle would be a place/way to store a motorcycle. One hell of a capability for daily business to have another vehicle in the space of a large van...

Hell, even a small bike I do not currently own would work there. Enduros seem to be the lightest and most compact. Could probably be stored on board between the seats...

...any ideas on that one?

Thanks

-Emt1581

Warp
04-01-2012, 20:22
Giving the BG's the most generous amount of credit possible here....I wouldn't buy an RV and then take it to an RV park. Again, with any connection, they would learn I had an RV and then check RV parks. One of the global/nationwide gangs could put out an APB of sorts and search them easily.

Wal-mart parking lots or middle of no where would work for sleeping...while awake I could take care of whatever business needed.

-Emt1581

Do you realize how many RV parks there are in this country? RV parks, state and national parks, KOAs, smaller privately owned one-off parks (have family with one of those), etc.

I think saying that you are seriously over estimating their ability is an exaggeration.

GLOCK17DB9
04-01-2012, 20:23
A lot of really good ideas. I was just thinking Walmart!:rofl:

emt1581
04-01-2012, 20:24
Do you realize how many RV parks there are in this country? RV parks, state and national parks, KOAs, smaller privately owned one-off parks (have family with one of those), etc.

I think saying that you are seriously over estimating their ability is an exaggeration.

I just don't want to give the enemy a chance. That's another statement that can be interpreted more ways than one.

-Emt1581

Warp
04-01-2012, 20:26
I just don't want to give the enemy a chance. That's another statement that can be interpreted more ways than one.

-Emt1581

Then what would you do?

Do you really think you are giving them a chance by picking an RV park, but not by going to Walmart?

So they put this APB out on you, nationwide...what's more visible, the Walmart parking lot or a RV park/national park/state park/KOA/etc?

Where is an RV going to stand out more?

emt1581
04-01-2012, 20:28
Then what would you do?

This thread is about disappearing if need be. Sounds like the Roadtrek would be perfect so long as I can disable/remove any tracking devices...and hopefully fit a motorcycle on board somehow.

-Emt1581

emt1581
04-01-2012, 20:29
Then what would you do?

Do you really think you are giving them a chance by picking an RV park, but not by going to Walmart?

So they put this APB out on you, nationwide...what's more visible, the Walmart parking lot or a RV park/national park/state park/KOA/etc?

Where is an RV going to stand out more?

You edited on me...

Yeah I see what you are saying... I guess that just leaves a random spot somewhere .... random and probably off road.

-Emt1581

Warp
04-01-2012, 20:29
This thread is about disappearing if need be. Sounds like the Roadtrek would be perfect so long as I can disable/remove any tracking devices...and hopefully fit a motorcycle on board somehow.

-Emt1581

Where would you go?

emt1581
04-01-2012, 20:30
Where would you go?

With the van or bike?

-Emt1581

Warp
04-01-2012, 20:30
You edited on me...

Yeah I see what you are saying... I guess that just leaves a random spot somewhere .... random and probably off road.

-Emt1581

Would you not stick out there, being the only one?

GLOCK17DB9
04-01-2012, 20:31
All great ideas. I was thinking Walmart!:supergrin:

emt1581
04-01-2012, 20:34
Would you not stick out there, being the only one?

I'd estimate that for every RV park there are 100+ places I could go that would be undetectable to a run-of-the-mill drive-by (read: thugs driving around and looking for a specific vehicle).

Fields, industrial parks, abandoned warehouses/garages, etc. Plenty to choose from IMO.

-Emt1581

Warp
04-01-2012, 20:42
I'd estimate that for every RV park there are 100+ places I could go that would be undetectable to a run-of-the-mill drive-by (read: thugs driving around and looking for a specific vehicle).

Fields, industrial parks, abandoned warehouses/garages, etc. Plenty to choose from IMO.

-Emt1581

I think setting up in an abandoned warehouse would introduce a whole new level of problems with thugs. You going to go to sleep in a van inside of some random supposedly abandoned warehouse in some strange city you just got to?

What about your comment about not giving up on water, electric, shower, etc. How would that work in an abandoned warehouse?

emt1581
04-01-2012, 20:52
I think setting up in an abandoned warehouse would introduce a whole new level of problems with thugs. You going to go to sleep in a van inside of some random supposedly abandoned warehouse in some strange city you just got to?

What about your comment about not giving up on water, electric, shower, etc. How would that work in an abandoned warehouse?

RV's can go for at least a day or two without hooking up to an energy/water source no?

I only talked about sleeping...the rest of the time I can focus on cleaning out grey/waste water and re-charging would take place just by driving around in some cases wouldn't it?

I've got much to learn here...just throwing things out for discussion.

Thanks

-Emt1581

Warp
04-01-2012, 20:53
RV's can go for at least a day or two without hooking up to an energy/water source no?

I only talked about sleeping...the rest of the time I can focus on cleaning out grey/waste water and re-charging would take place just by driving around in some cases wouldn't it?

I've got much to learn here...just throwing things out for discussion.

Thanks

-Emt1581

Where do you go to clean out grey/waste water, and to get more clean water?

emt1581
04-01-2012, 21:12
Where do you go to clean out grey/waste water, and to get more clean water?

This may fall under the "I have much to learn about RV's" category but...couldn't I get water anywhere that water is (spigot, faucet, store-bought water, lake, stream, river, etc.)? As for disposal, not pleasant or in line with codes but any dumpster/field/etc. should do right?

-Emt1581

Warp
04-01-2012, 21:14
This may fall under the "I have much to learn about RV's" category but...couldn't I get water anywhere that water is (spigot, faucet, store-bought water, lake, stream, river, etc.)? As for disposal, not pleasant or in line with codes but any dumpster/field/etc. should do right?

-Emt1581

So when your name shows up in the local crime beat, or what have you, for illegally dumping waste/sewage in a dumpster...?

Seems that a place with the proper hookups for this might be a wiser idea.

emt1581
04-01-2012, 21:16
So when your name shows up in the local crime beat, or what have you, for illegally dumping waste/sewage in a dumpster...?

Seems that a place with the proper hookups for this might be a wiser idea.

Illegal would imply we have to stop talking at this point...

So sure...a proper hookup is what I'd look for.

...anyone else thinking of Cousin Eddie right about now??

-Emt1581

AK_Stick
04-01-2012, 21:36
My house.

AK_Stick
04-01-2012, 21:43
EMT I think your paranoia is reaching new, and astounding levels.

emt1581
04-01-2012, 21:46
EMT I think your paranoia is reaching new, and astounding levels.

Paranoia?? Really?!?! :rofl:

This is me just bored and drunk on a school night...

Doesn't mean we haven't thrown around some decent ideas given the SHTF du jour.

EDIT: I must say, if disposing of water is the worst that can be thrown at the conclusion thus far I'd say we have a good thing going here...just not cheap.

-Emt1581

marlinfan
04-01-2012, 22:16
I'd go to the golden corral. I'm fat and like nascar, so there's a good chance there would be many fat nascar fan types around me. I could use the fried food for cover scent, and if need be hide behind the ice cream machine for concealment.

RWBlue
04-02-2012, 18:33
Been there, done that.

First thing is change my last name from Cooper.
Second item is to jump out of an airplane with the federal money at night into the wilderness.
After hanging out in the woods for a while, I hike out with the money and started a new life.
The hard part is never talking about it.

RWBlue
04-02-2012, 18:41
On a serious note, it is easy to disappear for a few weeks. It is nearly impossible to start a new life without help from the Fed. Try getting a new job without a SSN, birth certificate..... The laws were designed to stop illegals, but it also stops people from starting over.

To disappear in the big city, be sure to use cash for everything. Just tell people that you are a tourist. You have travelers checks that you cash as needed, but in reality you have cash. When that runs out you are screwed.

To disappear in the wilderness, what you pack in is what you have. I could disappear in the BWCA easily for a summer assuming the fishing was good.

lawman800
04-02-2012, 21:33
Try getting a new job without a SSN, birth certificate..... The laws were designed to stop illegals, but it also stops people from starting over.

You can be elected President and make $400k a year.:whistling:

RWBlue
04-02-2012, 22:12
You can be elected President and make $400k a year.:whistling:

As I said, someone in the Gov. helped him out.

G29Reload
04-02-2012, 23:26
I fix this problem in advance as a matter of general security.

I live by these rules:

1. Don't be your own worst enemy. Keep your mouth shut about your personal business, lottery winnings, whatever. You'd be surprised how little people know about things in general unless they're spoon fed by loose lips. Most things DON'T make the paper. Zip it.

2. Almost nothing comes to my address. I have a PO Box. In the next town. I use it for anything. My address is circulated as little as possible. I do not accept registered mail, certified mail, etc unless I'm expecting it for something I WANT. Anything unwelcome or unknown is refused. If someone were trying to serve me something, or give legal notice, or God only knows what, they better contact me thru less ominous channels for me to ponder and react accordingly or they don't get thru to me. Whatever they're trying to accomplish otherwise… fails. If anything arrives in my mail for a prior occupant, or mis-delivered, its marked return to sender, not at this address. Don't want hassles for me, nor hassles intended if someone comes looking for someone else, either.

3. I live in the country, with my house a good distance from the road. My driveway is distinct. If you turn on to it, it is NOT by accident. You know you either belong there, or you do not. I own guns and if you're here for criminal intent, the police will be called and I will defend automatically if they're slow to respond. I don't answer the door to strangers and don't open it to see who's coming without a pistol behind my back. No, you can't use the phone…there's a country store about 3/4 of a mile down the road, depart the way you came in. Slightest doubt, tags numbers taken, charges filed. The driveway is marked with No Trespassing signs. Stay out…period.

4. Stay armed and carry at all times you can legally do so. This includes out on the property, cutting the grass, etc.

5. Always have your cell phone on you. Also while outside. UNLESS...you’re doing something you don’t EVER want anyone to know about. In which case, leave the little personal transponder home. Oh, and pay in cash.

6. Have always had either an unlisted number or caller ID. When in doubt, don't answer. That's what answering machines and voice mail are for. I don't recognize you, the phone isn't answered…you want to talk, leave your evidence on the machine. Timestamps and caller ID do the rest. You're on record. And if your record is "bad", I react accordingly.

7. Go thru your mail and shred everything with your name, address or sensitive info on it. Then, dispose of the shred and all other paper material at a remote recycling center. Never leave trash of any kind at the curb, ever, for any reason. Haul it away so no one knows its yours.

These are the policies in place for the unknown. Friends get different…hugs, gourmet dinners, the bar is open, a guest bedroom, fire up the grill or the fireplace, the big game is on the big tv in hi-def.

But if you're an intruder, or Al Sharpton or anyone else with evil intent…I'm your worst nightmare. If you're here, be good, be known, or be gone. Or else.

TangoFoxtrot
04-03-2012, 04:34
Tagged

emt1581
04-03-2012, 05:11

I live by these rules:

1. Don't be your own worst enemy. Keep your mouth shut about your personal business, lottery winnings, whatever. You'd be surprised how little people know about things in general unless they're spoon fed by loose lips. Most things DON'T make the paper. Zip it.

2. Almost nothing comes to my address. I have a PO Box. In the next town. I use it for anything. My address is circulated as little as possible. I do not accept registered mail, certified mail, etc unless I'm expecting it for something I WANT. Anything unwelcome or unknown is refused. If someone were trying to serve me something, or give legal notice, or God only knows what, they better contact me thru less ominous channels for me to ponder and react accordingly or they don't get thru to me. Whatever they're trying to accomplish otherwise… fails. If anything arrives in my mail for a prior occupant, or mis-delivered, its marked return to sender, not at this address. Don't want hassles for me, nor hassles intended if someone comes looking for someone else, either.

3. I live in the country, with my house a good distance from the road. My driveway is distinct. If you turn on to it, it is NOT by accident. You know you either belong there, or you do not. I own guns and if you're here for criminal intent, the police will be called and I will defend automatically if they're slow to respond. I don't answer the door to strangers and don't open it to see who's coming without a pistol behind my back. No, you can't use the phone…there's a country store about 3/4 of a mile down the road, depart the way you came in. Slightest doubt, tags numbers taken, charges filed. The driveway is marked with No Trespassing signs. Stay out…period.

4. Stay armed and carry at all times you can legally do so. This includes out on the property, cutting the grass, etc.

5. Always have your cell phone on you. Also while outside. UNLESS...you’re doing something you don’t EVER want anyone to know about. In which case, leave the little personal transponder home. Oh, and pay in cash.

6. Have always had either an unlisted number or caller ID. When in doubt, don't answer. That's what answering machines and voice mail are for. I don't recognize you, the phone isn't answered…you want to talk, leave your evidence on the machine. Timestamps and caller ID do the rest. You're on record. And if your record is "bad", I react accordingly.

7. Go thru your mail and shred everything with your name, address or sensitive info on it. Then, dispose of the shred and all other paper material at a remote recycling center. Never leave trash of any kind at the curb, ever, for any reason. Haul it away so no one knows its yours.

These are the policies in place for the unknown. Friends get different…hugs, gourmet dinners, the bar is open, a guest bedroom, fire up the grill or the fireplace, the big game is on the big tv in hi-def.

But if you're an intruder, or Al Sharpton or anyone else with evil intent…I'm your worst nightmare. If you're here, be good, be known, or be gone. Or else.

Awesome reply!

I don't have the same geographics/demographics as you but I'll take time to re-read that one later!

As far as people being here that shouldn't, I'd put a "no solicitor"/"GET LOST" sign out front but I buy cookies from pretty much every girl scout that asks...I freeze them...the cookies that is. Plus I don't want to be a jerk to other people's kids in my neighborhood because I know my kid will probably be selling something some day.

-Emt1581

Dexters
04-03-2012, 08:00
Very good points - some ideas

People that travel a lot have mail services that you can see you mail on line. There are all types - they will scan in just the front and then you can view it. Then you can decide if you want it sent to you or if you want them to scan it in so you can view it on line.

For mail you don't want - even junk mail - write 'delete from all mailing lists' on the info inside and return with their envelope. It will get you deleted from all mailing lists. They don't like paying for the return postage.

Add you phone # to the Do not call List. There is also a similar one for your home address. It is hard to find.

Arc Angel
04-03-2012, 08:15
WOW! I REALLY LIKE THIS GUY! :thumbsup:

I live by these rules:

COMMENT: If I ever win big with the lottery I swear, if they force me to appear in public with one of those giant checks, or something, I'll wear a paper bag over my head.

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/7067/theunknowncomic.jpg

COMMENT: That is sooo ....... wise! If you don't have UPS or FedEx packages sent to your home then you won't end up with your name and address published on an (admittedly) outstanding search engine like ZabraSearch.

Years ago I was, 'between houses' and rented a very nice secluded place in the country. I thought the outside world would leave me alone; but I was wrong. I wasn't there a week when a UPS truck pulled into the driveway and the driver got out with a large box and an odd look on his face.

I wasn't expecting anything; so I asked him, 'What ya got?' He sort 'a leered at me and replied, 'A box of bullwhips!' I stammered back, 'I didn't order any bullwhips.' He checked the box and replied, 'Well, this is the address; and I've delivered things like this here before.' I told him in not too friendly terms to take the box back.

Turned out that my new landlord, 'forgot' to tell me his former tenants owned an adult gift and novelty shop; and, apparently, they had less pilferage taking deliveries at home.

COMMENT: Yes, yes, and yes! We live in the country, too; but, unfortunately, the surrounding community is very mixed: Nice house, here, and not-so-nice house, there, and so forth. Over the past two decades the neighborhood hasn't been getting better. Shootings, personal attacks, one (former) meth lab that I know of, and lots and lots of petty criminals and drug users among the under 30 population.

The latest thing is shooting out car windows at night. My neighbor got hit pretty hard the other night. We've recently had, what I will call, 'gypsies' come to the door during the day. They'll knock, wait for a response; and, sure enough, before I can get there my wife will inevitably forget my repeated warnings NOT to answer the door, and open it up to see who's there. :steamed:

The gypsy women will ask some sort of sill question about finding something in the neighborhood and then leave - Satisfied that our home (with the Pit Bulldog and the, 'crazy looking' guy) is not an easy target

Last week one of the neighbors - the one who had her SUV shot up - responded to my condolences about her vehicle's windows being smashed with the remark, 'What happened at your place, last month?' I told her, 'Nothing that I know of.' She, then, told me that one night during the previous month she arrived home from work to see the fields and woods around our home, 'alive' with police officers!

I said, 'No!' She said, 'Yes!' and went on to tell me that a state police helicopter had arrived and, to her amazement, turned on a spotlight that lit up the woodlot behind our home like, 'the Second Coming of Christ'! She said she'd never seen anything so bright in her entire life! If she's telling the truth, and I really have no reason to disbelieve her, this will be the third time in 15 years that a large contingent of police officers has swarmed our road - Twice, now, on this farm too.

So far, my biggest weak point seems to be forgetting to take license plate numbers. (I've screwed up like this more than once; and I keep reminding myself that I need to do better at this.)

COMMENT: Yeah! If I hadn't been doing exactly this back in the Spring of 2007, at the very least, I would have taken one of the worst physical beatings of my life; and, at my present age, the BG would have probably killed me. The guy was armed; but, I don't think he intended to use his gun. He was trying to be quiet, had a lot of refuse to unload, and a gunshot would have alerted others living nearby to his presence and prevented him from offloading the rest of his crap.

COMMENT: Man, you are sharp! Very few people realize that a cell phone is, also, a personal transponder - One that has the full electronic capability to keep an ongoing record of ALL your particular movements.

COMMENT: This is how we do it, too. (It takes some self-control not to answer that phone, though.)

COMMENT: This is a weak point around here. Think I'm going to finally listen to my wife and get one of those $50 dollar shredders from Amazon or Costco. We've already made up our minds about something else, though. After discussing it for the past two weeks, today, we're signing up for the LifeLock service.

GREAT POST! :cool:

lawman800
04-03-2012, 08:34
For mail you don't want - even junk mail - write 'delete from all mailing lists' on the info inside and return with their envelope. It will get you deleted from all mailing lists. They don't like paying for the return postage.

Can you explain this one a bit?

Dexters
04-03-2012, 08:47
Can you explain this one a bit?

Most people's name and address are one mailing lists that anyone can buy. So, if you get junk mail they usually have a postage paid return envelope. Take anything with your name and address - included letter or the envelope and write 'delete from all mailing lists' on it and put it in the return envelope and send it back. To be safe, rip off any offers - just send the name & address info.

Even if there isn't a return envelope - write the 'delete from all mailing lists' on the front and 'return to sender' also and drop it in the mail.

For really stubborn companies - call their 800 number and tell them to delete you. They will do it but it takes time.

I don't get any junk mail now.

http://www.privacyrights.org/fs/fs4-junk.htm

https://www.dmachoice.org/dma/member/regist.action

lawman800
04-03-2012, 08:48
Most people's name and address are one mailing lists that anyone can buy. So, if you get junk mail they usually have a postage paid return envelope. Take anything with your name and address - included letter or the envelope and write 'delete from all mailing lists' on it and put it in the return envelope and send it back.

Even if there isn't a return envelope - write the 'delete from all mailing lists' on the front and 'return to sender' also and drop it in the mail.

I don't get any junk mail now.

Got it. I knew the first part, but didn't know the second part also worked. Thanks.

quake
04-03-2012, 09:39
Been there, done that.

First thing is change my last name from Cooper.
Second item is to jump out of an airplane with the federal money at night into the wilderness.
After hanging out in the woods for a while, I hike out with the money and started a new life.
The hard part is never talking about it.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-NikpYcr_3OA/Tjv6BBhYB2I/AAAAAAAAHSU/_acj4z2wlNY/s1600/dbcooper.gif

NecoDude
04-03-2012, 10:31
I hadn't thought about the RV angle. There a places out there where you can find parks/sites developed and undeveloped. I have a popup which would be easy to conceal if needed.

I know a little off topic but what are thoughts on towing this in a bugout?

domin8ss
04-03-2012, 10:34
Some of the replies in this thread are funny. Everybody seems to fail to recognize that having a vehicle means you're on the grid. License plates can be read by cameras and police cars have photographic scanners.

Imo, if you want to disappear, dig an underground bunker in a hill top so that you can have a 360° view of your surroundings. It's also the best defensible position should shtf. Live off the land and learn about ancient plumbing for running water. If/when you go to town to acquire supplies pay only with cash. For electricity, figure out a way with wind or hydro-electric power (utilizing your running water). If you were to own a car park in a cave, or dig a bunker to park it, and dig a tunnel to your home. Living off the grids means disappearing. If you can't do that you will fail.

My grandfather was a prison guard at San Quinton after 20+ years in the Marines. The Black Panthers put a hit on him. The prison found out and told him to disappear with the family. He moved to a remote town in Oregon. When he died we found plans and equipment for when shtf. The family agreed that my mom could have it all. I have since studied it. He even thought of stuff like what type of vehicle to stash (the answer to that is one with lots of available parts common in other vehicles for many years -- Chevy truck with a V8 and 4 speed auto trans since the engines and transmissions were pretty much unchanged for over 20 years and used in various models during that time). Understanding ancient technology and applying it with new tech (such as gortex) will allow you to survive in various extremes.

The main goal is to be self-sufficient.

Dexters
04-03-2012, 11:02
Some of the replies in this thread are funny. Everybody seems to fail to recognize that having a vehicle means you're on the grid. License plates can be read by cameras and police cars have photographic scanners.

I find your post funny. You wrote a lot without first understanding that people aren't talking about the police.

I find your post funny because you try to be dismissive and disrespectful of some of the posters by writing "Some of the replies in this thread are funny."

I find your post funny.

G29Reload
04-03-2012, 11:08
RE: winning the Lottery:

1. Before stepping forward to claim the winnings, set up a quick residence, rent an apt or whatever, in a tax favorable state.

FL and WY come to mind.

2. Form a corporation or trust and have that entity claim it. Hire a good lawyer specializing in this stuff.

3. Give signature rights to NO ONE. No discretionary account or fiduciaries. Have an accountant do all the humdrum paper work, leg work or whatever, but NO ONE but you takes the final step of signing checks for anything. If they even suggest that you sign that over to them, fire them and find someone else.

4. Hire security. Even if its just an ex mil, secret service or spec ops guy, who can park his late model black Suburban at the end of the driveway. No one in or out without your permission. No radios either, he calls up to the house on a digital cellphone. Use a recognized, bonded agency.

5. Install cameras if you don't have them already.

Whether or not you win the lotto, keep a fully charged digicam handy to get tag numbers and descriptions.

Form a trust or corporation to re-title your house. Land records are usually public. Your name shouldn't be public-facing. Your house is in the corp name, you own the corp. Make em work for it, people.

Dexters
04-03-2012, 11:25
RE: winning the Lottery:

1. Before stepping forward to claim the winnings, set up a quick residence, rent an apt or whatever, in a tax favorable state.

FL and WY come to mind.

Good points.

You might also consider giving up you USA citizenship to save on taxes. There are places that do not tax investment income or have a flat tax. Then you can visit the USA and not be taxed if you spend less then 180 days a year in it. If you have enough lotto money, it can be done.

G29Reload
04-03-2012, 11:37
Good points.

You might also consider giving up you USA citizenship

No, that's not happening. Never a traitor. Some things are worth more than money.

jkm
04-03-2012, 15:47
Some points about RVs (motorhomes):
Class 'C' RVs have water tanks of about 30-35 gallons. With short showers and using the bathroom, my wife and I can 'stand alone' for 2 full days. On the 3rd day we pull into a full service campground or any other place where we can dump our tanks and take on fresh water.
Most state parks have a place to do this. National Forest campgrounds do not. Some states provide these along their Interstate systems.
Class 'A' RVs usually have tanks of about 50 gallons, so could stay out longer.
There are many solar chargers on the market to keep the batteries charged, and anytime the rig is driven, it charges the batteries.
Motorcycles can be hauled on a rack on the rear of a motorhome. Other vehicles can be towed behind a motorhome.
Motorhomes that are 10 years old lose value quickly, but many can be found with low miles.
I'm unfamiliar with 'travel trailer' type RVs.

UneasyRider
04-03-2012, 20:56
Good time to hike the Appalachian trail from GA to ME and back. I like to hike and sleep outside anyway. You couldn't find anybody doing that if you were looking for them.

emt1581
04-03-2012, 21:27
my wife and I can 'stand alone' for 2 full days. On the 3rd day we pull into a full

I'm thinking that instead of hanging out for 2 days, limit the shower to 5 minutes. And if you really want to conserve shower together instead of standing alone...

-Emt1581

Warp
04-03-2012, 21:34
I'm thinking that instead of hanging out for 2 days, limit the shower to 5 minutes. And if you really want to conserve shower together instead of standing alone...

-Emt1581

I think you might be over estimating the room available in one of those 'showers'.

And even 5 minutes would be too long to continuously run water in a scenario like that. Turn on, wet, turn off...lather...turn on, rinse, finished.

emt1581
04-03-2012, 21:36
I think you might be over estimating the room available in one of those 'showers'.

And even 5 minutes would be too long to continuously run water in a scenario like that. Turn on, wet, turn off...later...turn on, rinse, finished.

...I was talking about the external shower.

-Emt1581

Warp
04-03-2012, 21:38

-Emt1581

But not in an abandoned warehouse, I assume...?

emt1581
04-03-2012, 21:40
But not in an abandoned warehouse, I assume...?

Nosir, I was advised that a crowded public RV park was the best place to blend in...

-Emt1581

Warp
04-03-2012, 21:49
Nosir, I was advised that a crowded public RV park was the best place to blend in...

-Emt1581

The above quoted post appears to be the only place in this thread where the word crowded was used. ;)

domin8ss
04-03-2012, 21:54
I find your post funny. You wrote a lot without first understanding that people aren't talking about the police.

I find your post funny because you try to be dismissive and disrespectful of some of the posters by writing "Some of the replies in this thread are funny."

I find your post funny.

touché

That's the best part of opinions. I didn't think I was being disrespectful. Additionally, people were talking about living off the grid.

All I did was share my opinion. If I offended anybody, sorry. It wasn't my intention. Unfortunately, it's also one of those things that's going to happen. We're never going to agree 100% of the time.

AK_Stick
04-03-2012, 22:04

-Emt1581

-Emt1581

Pretty sure showering outdoors would be indecent exposure in most places....

And 5 mins it way too long for a "combat shower" or whatever other term you want to use for limited water shower.

Get wet, scrub, rinse, dry.

Arc Angel
04-04-2012, 05:31
Good time to hike the Appalachian trail from GA to ME and back. I like to hike and sleep outside anyway. You couldn't find anybody doing that if you were looking for them.

Really? That didn't work for Eric Rudolph!

kirgi08
04-04-2012, 06:53
It did for years.'08.

Dexters
04-04-2012, 08:44
touché

That's the best part of opinions. I didn't think I was being disrespectful. Additionally, people were talking about living off the grid.

All I did was share my opinion. If I offended anybody, sorry. It wasn't my intention. Unfortunately, it's also one of those things that's going to happen. We're never going to agree 100% of the time.

Accepted - Thank you

lawman800
04-04-2012, 08:59
Good points.

You might also consider giving up you USA citizenship to save on taxes. There are places that do not tax investment income or have a flat tax. Then you can visit the USA and not be taxed if you spend less then 180 days a year in it. If you have enough lotto money, it can be done.

You don't have to give up US citizenship to escape taxes here. Just live outside the US for a long time... I think it's 11 months out of the year and you're exempt on a set amount or something.

Anyone know the specifics? I know our military contractors get that. DynaCorp advertised it on their job bulletins.

Dexters
04-04-2012, 09:35
You don't have to give up US citizenship to escape taxes here. Just live outside the US for a long time... I think it's 11 months out of the year and you're exempt on a set amount or something.

Anyone know the specifics? I know our military contractors get that. DynaCorp advertised it on their job bulletins.

You're not exempt from all USA taxes - there is a high exclusion before you start paying taxes. Something like 70K.

lawman800
04-04-2012, 09:40
You're not exempt from all USA taxes - there is a high exclusion before you start paying taxes. Something like 70K.

No, you're not exempt from all... but your income is not taxed for the first $75k or something?

In any event, if you win the lottery, you already got taxed on the winnings so if you invest off shore and keep it all off shore, how are you going to get taxed for anything? It's not income.

If you invest domestically, then you have to pay the costs of long term or short term capital gains, that's just part of the costs of doing business.

Dexters
04-04-2012, 09:50
No, you're not exempt from all... but your income is not taxed for the first $75k or something?

In any event, if you win the lottery, you already got taxed on the winnings so if you invest off shore and keep it all off shore, how are you going to get taxed for anything? It's not income.

If you invest domestically, then you have to pay the costs of long term or short term capital gains, that's just part of the costs of doing business.

I hope you aren't doing that.

The USA taxes all global income types.

lawman800
04-04-2012, 10:01
I hope you aren't doing that.

The USA taxes all global income types.

I agree with you, if you have foreign investment income which comes to you domestically as realized income, you gotta pay taxes on it.

If you have investments which are not realized income, you don't get taxed on it no matter where it is. So don't sell your appreciating assets and you don't pay capital gains tax.

Your lottery winnings are already taxed. Do with it what you want. You can't get taxed again on it unless you use it to generate more income. If you put it in domestic investments, live off the post tax revenues.

I personally would probably invest it offshore, let it grow, sit on it, spend the domestic money while leaving the other stuff untouched. No taxes except what I get on the 1199DIV from the bank for any interest accrued in the US accounts.

RWBlue
04-04-2012, 10:32
Really? That didn't work for Eric Rudolph!

It work fine for him for years. IMHO, he wanted to get caught.

UneasyRider
04-04-2012, 11:59
It did for years.'08.

And he hung around in one area not staying on the move. I have hiked portions of the trail and my uncle hiked it all in one shot, I think that you are lost if you hike it.

bdcochran
04-04-2012, 12:21
Here is my evaluation. Rudolph survived for quite a while because the police lacked tracking skills. Forget the bloodhound and skirmish line approach to policing. I mean man tracking as taught by the former head of the Rhodesian Army Scouts (the guy is still around). He was caught because he had to forage.

Another guy (subject of a movie - Albert Johnson) moved 85 miles in 3 days in the snowy Yukon and would have otherwise gotten away because he imitated the local animal movement of moose and had them obliterate his tracks. He was spotted by one of the first civilian airplanes used in a pursuit. He had a dead squirrel and a bird on his body. He wasn't wearing body armor, carrying an assault rifle and a haunch of deer.

If people are determined to get you (rural or urban), you have a real problem. You push yourself up on the food chain/possibility of survival by learning know basic skills like tracking, concealment, caching, cover, trapping, and stealthy movement. Study the homeless and the drifters.

strive2walk
04-04-2012, 14:33
I'd go to my favorite hunting spot and text whoever is after me with the coordinates. If they want to find me in there more power to them. (Unless of course "they" have air support, in which case I'm screwed.)

emt1581
04-07-2012, 22:44
Somewhere in this thread I think someone asked about towing a trailer behind a vehicle.

My thoughts on it are that I'd keep whatever equipment I was using covered up for the most part prior to using it. Kinda like one massive prep hidden in a garage. Just like a gun....sure there is paperwork involved to get it but once I have it I can pretty much do what I want with it. Maybe take it out at night and drive it a bit to keep it fresh. But that way someone doing a casual drive-by would have no clue of my capabilities or what is hidden.

But with a trailer, I'd have to hide the trailer AND the vehicle I tow it with. So I'd need maybe two dedicated garages instead of one.

There are certainly benefits to this setup as well. Instead of only having a motorcycle to zip around on I'd have a vehicle capable of doing much more.

Again, pros and cons each way. I guess, as with all things S&P, you just have to figure out what works for you.

-Emt1581

Warp
04-07-2012, 22:53
Somewhere in this thread I think someone asked about towing a trailer behind a vehicle.

My thoughts on it are that I'd keep whatever equipment I was using covered up for the most part prior to using it. Kinda like one massive prep hidden in a garage. Just like a gun....sure there is paperwork involved to get it but once I have it I can pretty much do what I want with it. Maybe take it out at night and drive it a bit to keep it fresh. But that way someone doing a casual drive-by would have no clue of my capabilities or what is hidden.

But with a trailer, I'd have to hide the trailer AND the vehicle I tow it with. So I'd need maybe two dedicated garages instead of one.

There are certainly benefits to this setup as well. Instead of only having a motorcycle to zip around on I'd have a vehicle capable of doing much more.

Again, pros and cons each way. I guess, as with all things S&P, you just have to figure out what works for you.

-Emt1581

I'm confused. Are you talking about buying, equipping, and storing a trailer and a two vehicle in two dedicated garages whose sole purpose is to stand by in case you ever need to get out of town and disappear?

emt1581
04-07-2012, 23:10
I'm confused. Are you talking about buying, equipping, and storing a trailer and a two vehicle in two dedicated garages whose sole purpose is to stand by in case you ever need to get out of town and disappear?

No. Not two garages. But technically, yes.

The difference is I would probably go the "motorcycle within/attached to an over-sized van/rv" route. That'd only take one garage.

-Emt1581

efman
04-08-2012, 03:38
how about i leave the states and sail around central and south america on a mid sized sail boat? all enemies foreign and domestic style.

Glockdude1
04-08-2012, 05:06
http://www.moillusions.com/wp-content/uploads/2.bp.blogspot.com/_cxmptAPYR-s/Ri5oc7aat-I/AAAAAAAAAtk/_VLydEBs3Co/s400/camojncouch.jpg

You could "disappear" in your own living room.........

:supergrin:

RWBlue
04-08-2012, 09:40
how about i leave the states and sail around central and south america on a mid sized sail boat? all enemies foreign and domestic style.

You are suppose to go through customs at ever port of call. You could get away with it for a while, but then again you could be arrested and tossed into a central/south american jail.

The good news is that you could only stay in one spot for a limited amount of time and then go on to the next port of call making it hard to be tracked down.

Additionally, it depends on who is chasing you. If it is the US gov. they will work with the locals and then sit off shore to engage you with war ships. If it is a drug gang I would tell you going to EU and sailing around the Med may be a better idea.

Warp
04-08-2012, 11:51
No. Not two garages. But technically, yes.

The difference is I would probably go the "motorcycle within/attached to an over-sized van/rv" route. That'd only take one garage.

-Emt1581

That is what you would do to prepare for this possibility?

Or that is what you have done?

Have you done anything??

http://www.moillusions.com/wp-content/uploads/2.bp.blogspot.com/_cxmptAPYR-s/Ri5oc7aat-I/AAAAAAAAAtk/_VLydEBs3Co/s400/camojncouch.jpg

I like it

kirgi08
04-08-2012, 12:23

When did Mark pay you a visit.'08. :dunno:

emt1581
04-08-2012, 13:05
Warp- No haven't done anything. I do plan to buy one of those vans when I have the funds though. Mostly to go places on weekends with my family but it'd double as a very nice BOV.

-Emt1581

lawman800
04-09-2012, 00:02
I want that ACU couch cover... but actually, it would work better being desert tan around here.

rauldduke1979
04-09-2012, 17:20
I would probably assume the identity of some guy I met in the service and then move to New York to become an advertising executive :whistling:

I have peeps in South America. I can be gone with 30 minutes notice :mallninja:

Not that I've thought about it....