2 hours of shooting, learned a lot! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 2 hours of shooting, learned a lot!

gofastman
03-31-2012, 18:11
shot off a few hundred rounds today had a bunch of fun and learned a lot!
A few rambling thoughts:
First, in reguards to this post (http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=18776391&postcount=33) about W296 in a 10mm, I need fix or replace my chrony. All the rounds worked fine, PHLAT primers at 18grs, but it actually seemed to stay the same or lessen as I went up.
the 21.5gr load was...
http://gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=2632747&t=o (http://gifsoup.com/view/2632747/warm2.html)
WARM!
Pending future chrony testing, I will discontinue using W296 in 10mm
it doesnt feed the comp perticularly well, to my disappointment. I'll try to post some pics of the brass later.

My Storm Lake barrel is awesome! The stock barrel sits on the shelf now.

Wolff 24lb springs are heavier than ISMI 24lb springs.

The LWD comp works great with the right powder!
AutoComp is best (go figure) then Longshot, then Bluedot
I still think ill give AA#9 a try.
they also are LOUD, noise is in the same order.
The comp kills a lot of the flash, it makes the 12grs of BD barely noticeable, without the comp you get darn near a 3 foot fireball!

Im liking WAC more and more, its loud as hell, but has almost no flash and it appears to be very accurate.

Im not gonna use BD anymore in my .44, too much pressure, I think it makes more pressure than 25grs of 296, and I'm sure its a hell of a lot less velocity.

10grs of BD may be too much in a .40 with a 165 fmj, had a few pierced primers.
I cant be certain it was my gun because the guy next to me was shooting a .40 too, but the evidence says it was loads:
compressed charge of a relativity spikey powder, Federal 100 primers, and a blue (7lb :wow:) Glock striker spring. Again, Ill try to put up pics later.

I had a gunsmith pollish the chamber in my AA .22 conversion kit along with a little fluff and buff of my own on a few other components.
now it shoots almost everything! CCI standard velocity 40gr LRN, Mini-Mags, and Stingers without a hickup

gofastman
03-31-2012, 21:11
Oh I learned this after shooting:
Zilla Lizard litter (crushed walnut) > corn cob in my brass tumbler, by a long shot actually.

preventec47
04-08-2012, 00:32
I really think it would be best in this particular forum that
you NOT mention other calibers and cartridges unless
it is directly relevant to loading 10mm. This is just
to minimize confusion etc. I am a bit slow in my old
age but was there something you learned about 10mm
that you wished to share with us ?

What is the point of the underwear animation ? ?

gofastman
04-08-2012, 08:57
I learned that 21 grs of w296 stuffed in a 10mm case makes a big boom

Perhaps you are not familiar with the movie "Ace Ventura When Nature Calls"

_The_Shadow
04-08-2012, 09:30
I wish you had chrono data to support this powder use...I'm also with preventec47 about sticking to the facts of the 10mm testing. About the "LOUD" part of that is the comp, they tend to direct the noise back toward the shooter...

Don't take this wrong, gofastman,
BTW, maybe your expecting too much from the caliber of choice with any particular powder. It sounds like your trying to make the 10mm into an artillery piece. If you want more from the 10mm, try the 800X and LongShot, these will yield more velocity.

Now on a side note...
44Mag with 240 grain bullets, I use 16.2 grains of Blue Dot from my S&W Mod. 29 8 3/8" barrel, I still need to clock these, but the accuracy I got has be great!

40S&W, I use 8.4 grains of Blue Dot to drive my cast Lyman TCBB 175 gr and Lyman Devastator HP's 156 gr., I'm not trying to turn those into 10mm's...but accuracy is also great!

Best regards!

WeeWilly
04-08-2012, 09:58
Thanks for posting.

2 hours of shooting beats two hours of working every time.

Definitely get that chrony fixed, I would love to know how the WAC delivered velocity wise.

Any Cal.
04-08-2012, 10:33
I was hoping to see what the H110 clocked... Yeah, Longshot is loud and then some, makes sense AutoComp would be as well.

gofastman
04-08-2012, 18:02
BTW, maybe your expecting too much from the caliber of choice with any particular powder. It sounds like your trying to make the 10mm into an artillery piece.

Oh I don't know about that, but I see how you could come to that conclusion.

I'm a quasi-scientist, I need to do things for myself and come to my own conclusion before I am satisfied.

the main conclusions I drew here were W296 isnt the greatest powder for 10mm.
WAC and LongShot are just awesome!
I'd rate BlueDot as simply "good", it certainly puts on a good show however!
(all results pending real velocity readings of course)

Perhaps this belongs in The Ten Ring rather than the reloading section... :embarassed:

preventec47
04-08-2012, 18:28
I'm a quasi-scientist,
the main conclusions I drew were W296 isnt the greatest powder for 10mm. WAC and LongShot are just awesome!
I'd rate BlueDot as simply "good"

Based on what "quasi" logic ?

What does it take for a powder to be good for 10mm ?

gofastman
04-08-2012, 23:09
Based on what "quasi" logic ?

What does it take for a powder to be good for 10mm ?

Whats with the inquisition?

preventec47
04-08-2012, 23:30
You say you are a scientist and have reached some conclusions. I only want to know how or why you reached
those conclusions. So far you have given us zero detail
about your activities leading up to your conclusions.