$7.98 vs. ~$450 (Guess Who Wins?) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : $7.98 vs. ~$450 (Guess Who Wins?)

USMCsilver
03-31-2012, 19:48
First time ever I'll say I'm nearly ashamed to admit that I have a few thousand dollars "invested" in Surefire flashlights.

I'll keep this short and to the point:

I bought this light:

http://www.meritline.com/focus-zoom-lens-cree-q3-flashlight-torch-light-lamp---p-66230.aspx

http://images.meritline.com/images/product/1/8/8/-/7/large/188-751.jpg

It showed up from China today. I put in some no-name SINGLE AA battery and I shined it on my hand and I was temprarily blinded. (Hmph -- that's why it had that little trianglular warning sticker!?!) I went outside, and this thing is, and I'm not kidding here, like a little Q-Beam spotlight in my hand.

The bezel slides in/out to adjust focus. Kinda weird when focused to a tight beam, as it is a perfect square. It'll hold it's square shape even when the light is thrown 200 yards. I CANNOT believe so much light can be emitted from such a cheap, small device.

If used beside my Surefire M3 with the M4 Turbo Head Conversion, the little Chinese POS wins, hands down!

It'll be interesting to see how this thing holds up. I'm glad I bought two, because it is AMAZING!

Dan_ntx
03-31-2012, 19:53
I use a Cree rechargeable led light similar to that every day at work... Best $18 I've spent.
Great quality light for the money, and when/if I destroy it I can easily replace it.

USMCsilver
03-31-2012, 19:57
I use a Cree rechargeable led light similar to that every day at work... Best $18 I've spent.
Great quality light for the money, and when/if I destroy it I can easily replace it.

I have the Surefire Executive which is the same size and while I'd always trust my life to it, it just doesn't even compare when it comes to brightness. Hell -- a car's headlights don't compare, either, for that matter.

As y'all can tell, I'm pretty blown away by this thing. :cheerleader::rollsmiley::bowdown::devildance::elephant:

Beretta92guy
03-31-2012, 20:02
just ordered one of these :)

michael e
03-31-2012, 20:03
They went up a buck , 8.98 if order 2 now.

Deanster
03-31-2012, 20:10
Thanks for the heads-up! Just ordered 4.

These could be a killer gift.

USMCsilver
03-31-2012, 20:13
Thanks for the heads-up! Just ordered 4.

These could be a killer gift.

No problem. Please PM me, or start a thread and PM me about it...or something...when yours arrives and share your general impressions.

Rogue
03-31-2012, 20:19
Okay, I'll bite. $9.50 apiece for two now. . .

Dennis in MA
03-31-2012, 20:33
Wait. You've paid $450 for a flashlight and you aren't an extra on CSI?

gjk5
03-31-2012, 20:42
ordered 4, will make great gifts.

wfochris
03-31-2012, 20:49
Lol I also have a surefire and just snagged one of these on fleabay for 7 bucks. I love gt :)

Sent by fire.

Javelin
03-31-2012, 21:23
So these are really that good?

:dunno:

USMCsilver
03-31-2012, 21:45
So these are really that good?

:dunno:

We'll see...

You know what opinions are like.

Maybe I'm just amazed by little things. But, again, I own ~12-15 Surefires, about a dozen Baycos, a couple Streamlights, and none of them are even remotely as bright as this thing.

It's a freakin' "AA" battery, too. I think that even makes me more surprised!!!

geofri
03-31-2012, 22:10
Up to a torch-er test?

Javelin
03-31-2012, 22:31
Up to a torch-er test?

This is what I am wondering. I know Surefire lights can take a lickin and keep on ... um... flashing.

I have never had any luck with cheapo stuff. It always goes down. Maybe if one were to just keep it in their underwear drawer they might work for it.

I trust my Surefires. I sort of trust my Streamlight flashlights to a point as well.

:wavey:

elsolo
03-31-2012, 22:47
I had to do it, ordered the two pack.
$20 gamble based on a tip, better than playing the ponies

Folsom_Prison
03-31-2012, 22:49
I've become a flashlight junkie! I might give one a try and compare it to my streamlights and my fenix.

Javelin
03-31-2012, 22:58
I had to do it, ordered the two pack.
$20 gamble based on a tip, better than playing the ponies

Good analogy. :tongueout:

larry_minn
03-31-2012, 23:04
I would wonder on battery life, bulb life, ability to take (even) minor jolts when hot.
I have had some good, cheap lights that a month later were dang near worthless. I use a $12 LED 95% of time now. (just every day stuff) The $$$ light is only for last resort. (and NEVER let normal folks see super bright light.) They will want to borrow it, shine it all over place, waste battery, drop it, etc. Of course they really get ticked when you won't let them have it.
I went on conoe trip 6 day. First night a gal asked to borrow my flashlight to go to "outhouse" Of course I got it back next DAY with battery dead. They used it as a night light. Had to pack out dead batteries. (it was C cell so I did have spare, and a bulb) It was a cheap lesson.
When she asked next night "sorry the batteries are dead" and when she saw I had light. "this one is mine"

Javelin
03-31-2012, 23:13
I would wonder on battery life, bulb life, ability to take (even) minor jolts when hot.
I have had some good, cheap lights that a month later were dang near worthless. I use a $12 LED 95% of time now. (just every day stuff) The $$$ light is only for last resort. (and NEVER let normal folks see super bright light.) They will want to borrow it, shine it all over place, waste battery, drop it, etc. Of course they really get ticked when you won't let them have it.
I went on conoe trip 6 day. First night a gal asked to borrow my flashlight to go to "outhouse" Of course I got it back next DAY with battery dead. They used it as a night light. Had to pack out dead batteries. (it was C cell so I did have spare, and a bulb) It was a cheap lesson.
When she asked next night "sorry the batteries are dead" and when she saw I had light. "this one is mine"

Why not bring a few extra batteries and be the cool guy with a cool flashlight?

Maybe make some friends or something.

:tongueout:

Gunhaver
03-31-2012, 23:17
Of all the things that people complain that Glock won't do (carbine, shotgun, single stack this or that) it'd be nice if they'd get off their asses and put an LED in the Glock light. When you get hit with 300+ lumens in the dark it's over. You can't see anything but a big glowing orb for several min.

But they just stick with that incandescent joke like nobody will notice. It might as well be an oil lamp as far as I'm concerned.

tsmo1066
03-31-2012, 23:20
Just ordered two of them. For $19.00, what's there to lose?

larry_minn
03-31-2012, 23:28
Why not bring a few extra batteries and be the cool guy with a cool flashlight?

Maybe make some friends or something.

As I said I did. (had spare batteries) Chicks who are too DUMB to bring a flashlight for week long trip, borrow light for few minutes and bring it back next day dead.... Are not worth my time.
I often have spare junk flashlight. Someone wants to borrow I give them it. Because I know I will seldom get it back (at least in working order)

Javelin
03-31-2012, 23:29
Of all the things that people complain that Glock won't do (carbine, shotgun, single stack this or that) it'd be nice if they'd get off their asses and put an LED in the Glock light. When you get hit with 300+ lumens in the dark it's over. You can't see anything but a big glowing orb for several min.

But they just stick with that incandescent joke like nobody will notice. It might as well be an oil lamp as far as I'm concerned.

:agree:

I have several Surefire lights. I got a G3 and put a 440 lumen CREE drop in and it is a lot of light.

But you will have ZERO nightsight after engaging the unit and forget about using inside. Should there be a lighter colored wall or ANY mirrors in the room, glass from lamps, reflection from stove you are blind.

Not sure if it is tactical or craptical. But I own the damn thing and I just bought a 300 lumen single CREE drop in to replace the 440 single mode CREE>

Javelin
03-31-2012, 23:31
As I said I did. (had spare batteries) Chicks who are too DUMB to bring a flashlight for week long trip, borrow light for few minutes and bring it back next day dead.... Are not worth my time.
I often have spare junk flashlight. Someone wants to borrow I give them it. Because I know I will seldom get it back (at least in working order)

You just need to make sure she comes back to your tent and you get your flashlight back and a little flash in the tent.

Then it's a win-win IMO.

KING-PIN
04-01-2012, 06:13
I ordered the black version.

260 lumens (even brighter than the one in the OP) and $9.99 a piece.

We will see how it goes.

USMCsilver
04-01-2012, 08:19
I ordered the black version.

260 lumens (even brighter than the one in the OP) and $9.99 a piece.

We will see how it goes.

Didn't see that one when I was ordering. Damn it, man! (Not...going...to...order...another...!)

Haldor
04-01-2012, 08:36
Just bought 2 of the 260 lumen black flashlights at $10 each.

http://images.meritline.com/images/product/1/8/8/-/9/large/188-912.jpg

http://www.meritline.com/focus-zoom-lens-flashlight-light---p-44806.aspx

The reviews on this one were better than for the silver one.

I plan on disassembling them and greasing the LED module with heat sink grease once they get here.

3000fps
04-01-2012, 08:52
First time ever I'll say I'm nearly ashamed to admit that I have a few thousand dollars "invested" in Surefire flashlights.

I'll keep this short and to the point:

I bought this light:

http://www.meritline.com/focus-zoom-lens-cree-q3-flashlight-torch-light-lamp---p-66230.aspx

http://images.meritline.com/images/product/1/8/8/-/7/large/188-751.jpg

It showed up from China today. I put in some no-name SINGLE AA battery and I shined it on my hand and I was temprarily blinded. (Hmph -- that's why it had that little trianglular warning sticker!?!) I went outside, and this thing is, and I'm not kidding here, like a little Q-Beam spotlight in my hand.

The bezel slides in/out to adjust focus. Kinda weird when focused to a tight beam, as it is a perfect square. It'll hold it's square shape even when the light is thrown 200 yards. I CANNOT believe so much light can be emitted from such a cheap, small device.

If used beside my Surefire M3 with the M4 Turbo Head Conversion, the little Chinese POS wins, hands down!

It'll be interesting to see how this thing holds up. I'm glad I bought two, because it is AMAZING!

If you think that's impressive, pick up an Olight M21-X warrior.

I have banged it into the side of a table over 4,000 times and it still runs perfectly.

You can pick them up for around $100 +/- and they're 600 lumens. They will give you REALLY bad flash if you shine them in someone's face in a dark environment. It's like a camera flash but 100x worse where it burns in your eyes.

Atlas
04-01-2012, 08:56

I know a young woman who recently went with another woman on a 4-day hike across Belize.
She told me of this trip the night before her departure and I asked her what type flashlight she was taking...
She just looked at me a moment and replied "I don't have one".
Then she picked up her smartphone and touched it to activate the screen illumination, saying "I'll just use this".

This girl is an educated medical professional.
When I asked she told me she had no water filter either, saying "we'll be passing through several small towns, we can just pick up bottled water there".

:faint:

aircarver
04-01-2012, 09:30
Thanks for the heads up.

I ordered one on ebay $8

I use a lot of bright LED flashlights... The family keeps 'walking them off' .... :supergrin:

This one, I'll keep in my pocket !

sappy13
04-01-2012, 09:35
im bout to buy 2, one for me and one for gf's dad. he loves flashlights

magic
04-01-2012, 09:41
I love my Quark, but I might get a few of these to stash and give away. Anyone think you might be able to use a 14500 in that black one?

:popcorn:

Javelin
04-01-2012, 11:39
I know a young woman who recently went with another woman on a 4-day hike across Belize.
She told me of this trip the night before her departure and I asked her what type flashlight she was taking...
She just looked at me a moment and replied "I don't have one".
Then she picked up her smartphone and touched it to activate the screen illumination, saying "I'll just use this".

This girl is an educated medical professional.
When I asked she told me she had no water filter either, saying "we'll be passing through several small towns, we can just pick up bottled water there".

:faint:

Don't discount it. She might be a member of an urban warrior tribe.

Sam Spade
04-01-2012, 11:44
Just bought 2 of the 260 lumen black flashlights at $10 each.

http://images.meritline.com/images/product/1/8/8/-/9/large/188-912.jpg

Wow! :wow: At $9.99 each or $26.99 for a pack of two, how can you possibly go wrong?

(Did I really just read that?)

garyo
04-01-2012, 12:01
Cool store, thanks for posting it. I just got a couple to try out.

Hyksos
04-01-2012, 12:11
Just ordered 1 silver one and 1 black one. Rather than trying to figure out which one is better I figured I'd buy both. Also paid the 1.99 for expedited shipping. Only two bucks? Awesome.

Javelin
04-01-2012, 12:15
Wow! :wow: At $9.99 each or $26.99 for a pack of two, how can you possibly go wrong?

Yes that two pack is very pricey. ;)

Cinic
04-01-2012, 12:16
These were $10/set back in January:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202850306/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=199696&storeId=10051#BVRRWidgetID

The headlamps are kinda cheezy, but the lights outshine my Surefire G2Z with the LED lamp. I can't believe how far this LED tech has moved in the last several years.

Rinspeed
04-01-2012, 12:34
Dealextreme carries what appears to be the same light and they rate it at 120 lumens. I'm sure they would be a lot brighter if you ran a 14500 rechargeable battery. My Zebralight puts out an honest 200 lumens from a single AA Eneloop, of course it was quite a bit more than the Sipik. I might order a couple just for the hell of it.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/sipik-sk68-cree-q3-wc-120-lumen-convex-lens-led-flashlight-black-1-aa-1-14500-39585

http://www.sipik.com/html_products/-56.html

Javelin
04-01-2012, 12:39
Dealextreme carries what appears to be the same light and they rate it at 120 lumens. I'm sure they would be a lot brighter if you ran a 14500 rechargeable battery. My Zebralight puts out an honest 200 lumens from a single AA Eneloop, of course it was quite a bit more than the Sipik. I might order a couple just for the hell of it.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/sipik-sk68-cree-q3-wc-120-lumen-convex-lens-led-flashlight-black-1-aa-1-14500-39585

http://www.sipik.com/html_products/-56.html

Do not doubt the Chinaman lumen ratings Sir!

See it says it right here 200 lumen:

漢字/ 汉字 象形

tantrix
04-01-2012, 13:05
Awesome.

After I got tired of buying CR123's for my last Surefire, I looked for an alternative. I found these at Academy for $39. Runs off 3 AAA batteries and has tons of modes to select from. I bought one, then ended up buying 4 more for Christmas presents, and 3 more for myself. Outstanding flashlight for a fraction of what I paid for my Surefire that doesn't do near as much.

Maglite XL100

http://www.caslerhardware.com/sites/398/ecom/items/maglite_led_xl100.jpg

The Hawk
04-01-2012, 13:20
Just ordered the black one. Thanks for the info. I am a flashlight aholic for sure. It's about time I bought myself another one. Now for the wait.

Green_Manelishi
04-01-2012, 14:25
I wonder whose technology was stolen?

USMCsilver
04-01-2012, 14:35
I wonder whose technology was stolen?

Whose ever it was, I've yet to see it in action anywhere...

Green_Manelishi
04-01-2012, 15:20

It's the new math.

Javelin
04-01-2012, 15:26
It's the new math.

Totally makes sense.

漢 = $9.99
漢文 = $26.99

You need to learn math round-eye!

KING-PIN
04-01-2012, 15:31
Didn't see that one when I was ordering. Damn it, man! (Not...going...to...order...another...!)

Who you trying to convince, man? Me, or you?

:supergrin:

Javelin
04-01-2012, 15:36
I highly doubt that the black one puts off more light than the silver.

But I will report on it once I get mine ... like by the end of the month.

:rofl:

Green_Manelishi
04-01-2012, 15:56
Totally makes sense.

漢 = $9.99
漢文 = $26.99

You need to learn math round-eye!

As do all the folk saving money on the two pack.

USMCsilver
04-01-2012, 16:23
But I will report on it once I get mine ... like by the end of the month.

I ordered mine on the 21st of March. I received it on the 31st of March. I got "standard shipping" or whatever the cheapest was.

10 days from China ain't too bad! :)

Javelin
04-01-2012, 17:00
I ordered mine on the 21st of March. I received it on the 31st of March. I got "standard shipping" or whatever the cheapest was.

10 days from China ain't too bad! :)

Glad to hear.

Guandong must have some fresh new donkeys to carry the mail.

brausso
04-01-2012, 22:38
I just ordered 4 of the black ones and a couple of the 5 pack LED keychain flashlights. Based on the reviews it sounds like a damn good deal.

Marc1956
04-02-2012, 13:33
Thanks a pantload for bringing this to my attention. I just dropped $50 for some flashlights, batteries and a charger! For some things that I didn't even need! But, boy do I want them! Working diligently to spend my children's inheritance...:supergrin:

Nalapombu
04-02-2012, 22:39
Which one is the best, the black or silver? I would like to try one.

Nalajr

ubimow
04-03-2012, 00:19
Thanks for the info. Just bought one after reading this, got it for $7.99 and free shipping on ebay. Geez, you should get a sales commission for all the business you're giving them!

USMCsilver
04-03-2012, 14:39
Thanks for the info. Just bought one after reading this, got it for $7.99 and free shipping on ebay. Geez, you should get a sales commission for all the business you're giving them!

LOL, I'm very interested to get everyone else's insight on this thing!

geofri
04-03-2012, 16:03
Well call me a sucker.. I caved and bought one to try too!

DreamWeaver88
04-03-2012, 16:31
Don't order the 2 pack of lights.

I ordered a couple of the 2 packs of the black ones. I didn't pay attention to the totals at the time. I checked the status the next day and noticed that for 4 lights, the total was like 55 bucks. I checked the website and sure enough, the lights are 8.99 each, but the 2 pack is 26.99.

I cancelled the order and got 4 single lights for like 38 shipped. Luckily their CS is pretty darn quick. The money was back in my PayPal account instantly.

DW

vtducrider
04-04-2012, 13:28
Ordered the 2-pack. Didn't pay the extra $2 for expedited shipping. Let's hope they will show up in 2-3 weeks.

saddlebum
04-04-2012, 14:27
i had a couple of these and after 2 months the switches went bad on both within 2 weeks of each other

OrangeJoe
04-04-2012, 15:50
i had a couple of these and after 2 months the switches went bad on both within 2 weeks of each other

For all flashaholics out there, how hard a repair would this be?

geofri
04-04-2012, 17:46

Darn it where were you a two days ago! Oh well.. ill see how mine lasts soon enough.

matt_lowry123
04-05-2012, 07:21
That's super cool!!! I'm going to buy one too

Javelin
04-05-2012, 11:12

Seriously!

:steamed:

Javelin
04-05-2012, 11:12
For all flashaholics out there, how hard a repair would this be?

More expensive than buying a new one.

:whistling:

Marc1956
04-05-2012, 12:03

Wonderful to know now that I have ordered mine! :embarassed: Can you tell me how often you were using them? Mine will be sporadic but won't be often. That brings up the question of warranty, but I imagine I know the answer to that. Maybe there will be some company info that will help you get in touch and ask about repair or parts? Ordering a couple of switches would probably cost as much as the whole light.

Javelin
04-05-2012, 12:04
I've said this and posted this time & time again.

I have never once in my life *****ed and moaned because I bought quality - can't say the opposite.

Javelin
04-05-2012, 12:08
I need to stay away from these damn cheapo stuff. Bought a 2-pack LED taclight from Costco b/c lots of folks said they were great.

They died. One does nothing but flashes the clicky switch. Lost the box & the receipt so that was $30 I could have had more enjoyment throwing into the street (figure 10 hours of minimum wage).

Stupid crap. I have sworn off everything and am going to stick with Surefire from now until I die.

November
04-06-2012, 07:21
Got my 2-pack yesterday. Very bright for a AA flashlight!

USMCsilver
04-06-2012, 09:12
I've said this and posted this time & time again.

I have never once in my life *****ed and moaned because I bought quality - can't say the opposite.

Agreeed.

I believe in my initial post, I stated I'd trust my life to a Surefire, but that these things were stupid bright for the money. :wavey:

EDIT: okay -- so I didn't say it in this thread. It musta been on another "cheap flashlight" thread. I've actually said it several times. :)

saddlebum
04-06-2012, 10:21
Wonderful to know now that I have ordered mine! :embarassed: Can you tell me how often you were using them? Mine will be sporadic but won't be often. That brings up the question of warranty, but I imagine I know the answer to that. Maybe there will be some company info that will help you get in touch and ask about repair or parts? Ordering a couple of switches would probably cost as much as the whole light.
i used 2-3 times a day working on hvac equipment,never on more than 10-15 minutes

Javelin
04-06-2012, 10:30
Agreeed.

I believe in my initial post, I stated I'd trust my life to a Surefire, but that these things were stupid bright for the money. :wavey:

EDIT: okay -- so I didn't say it in this thread. It musta been on another "cheap flashlight" thread. I've actually said it several times. :)

Is yours still holding up? I am just going to throw one in the Truck, Car, and maybe in my tackle box.

larson1122
04-06-2012, 22:21
Thanks for the heads up, just bought the black one on Ebay. Hopefully this thing holds up.

USMCsilver
04-06-2012, 22:41
Is yours still holding up? I am just going to throw one in the Truck, Car, and maybe in my tackle box.

I've had it about a week. I've only used it a few times. So...I dunno...

Javelin
04-06-2012, 23:01
I've had it about a week. I've only used it a few times. So...I dunno...

Abuse it and report back!

I am addicted to that site now. My home office will be filled with cheap Chinese stuff if I don't get the heck off of there.

Hyksos
04-09-2012, 17:07
Update:

I received my two models in the mail. One was the silver model, and the other is red (i ordered black). They seem to have the same effectiveness. For $10, this thing is awesome. It's bright as hell off a simple AA battery. No complaints here.

Javelin
04-09-2012, 17:08
Update:

I received my two models in the mail. One was the silver model, and the other is red (i ordered black). They seem to have the same effectiveness. For $10, this thing is awesome. It's bright as hell off a simple AA battery. No complaints here.

No kidding?

Waiting on mine. ..... :supergrin:

USMCsilver
04-09-2012, 20:33
Update:

In all honesty, have you ever seen a brigher flashlight, minus a bonafide spotlight? :dunno:

Told ya these things were the cat's ass (in terms of value).

Hyksos
04-09-2012, 20:38
In all honesty, have you ever seen a brigher flashlight, minus a bonafide spotlight? :dunno:

Told ya these things were the cat's ass (in terms of value).

I'm not a flashlight guru. To be honest i didn't even own a flashlight for my apartment here in Miami. But now, this thing is staying in my nightstand right next to my gun. It's ridiculous. You could probably blind somebody with this thing. I don't mean temporarily blind, I mean completely destroy their vision.

It was well worth it. I shall be buying more in the future.

Osborne
04-09-2012, 21:11
Tagged

RedHaze
04-09-2012, 21:50
Hello birthday present!

Javelin
04-09-2012, 23:07
Hello birthday present!

D-E-F-E-N-S-E!
04-09-2012, 23:56
What is with the strange building looking design when you focus the beam?

The light is nowhere near the brightness of a sure fire/Streamlight/Fenix, but it seems well worth the money.

USMCsilver
04-10-2012, 09:23
What is with the strange building looking design when you focus the beam?

The light is nowhere near the brightness of a sure fire/Streamlight/Fenix, but it seems well worth the money.

Not sure, but I did mention the "square shape" a while back.

As far as "nowhere near the brightness..." comment, I would like to know what Surefire/Streamlight/Fenix you're using.

I stated in my initial post I had several Surefires. I have various other lights, too.

Which Surefire rivals this light? I'd surely like to know. Have you had a chance to use this light at a distance over 150 yards yet in a very dark environment? :dunno:

D-E-F-E-N-S-E!
04-10-2012, 10:49
Not sure, but I did mention the "square shape" a while back.

As far as "nowhere near the brightness..." comment, I would like to know what Surefire/Streamlight/Fenix you're using.

In the similar size range, I have this little streamlight that blows it away. It is a little bigger, but throws light further and is brighter.

Amazon.com: Streamlight 74301 Strion LED Flashlight with AC/12-Volt DC and 1-Holder, Black: Home Improvement@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/418yOMYesXL.@@AMEPARAM@@418yOMYesXL

Are you using the 14500 Li-Ion battery, as recommended for maximum output? I have not tried that yet, but might have to experiment.

USMCsilver
04-10-2012, 20:58
In the similar size range, I have this little streamlight that blows it away. It is a little bigger, but throws light further and is brighter.

Amazon.com: Streamlight 74301 Strion LED Flashlight with AC/12-Volt DC and 1-Holder, Black: Home Improvement (http://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-74301-Flashlight-12-Volt-1-Holder/dp/B001T7F3KA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334076132&sr=8-1)

Are you using the 14500 Li-Ion battery, as recommended for maximum output? I have not tried that yet, but might have to experiment.

Nope, not tried one of those batteries yet.

The Streamlight is larger and costs a lot more. Again, pound-for-pound, the cheap Chinese light is a winner. Not to mention, if I take mine camping and kill the battery, I can drop in another single "AA" battery. :)

As stated before, yes, it's probably cheap Chinese junk and will only last a while, but, for what it costs, I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it!

sup
04-11-2012, 17:42
They raised the price. http://www.meritline.com/focus-zoom-lens-cree-q3-flashlight-torch-light-lamp---p-66230.aspx

DreamWeaver88
04-11-2012, 18:11
They raised the price. http://www.meritline.com/focus-zoom-lens-cree-q3-flashlight-torch-light-lamp---p-66230.aspx

The black one is cheaper. $9.99 today.

true believer
04-11-2012, 19:22
just ordered a few...let you know..
:whistling::wavey:

RedHaze
04-11-2012, 19:45

Ordered me a black one. We'll see if it's here in time for my birthday... :whistling:

Tackle
04-11-2012, 19:57
I'm not flashlight connoisseur, but I have used your average everyday run of the mill $20 flash lights quite a bit.

I got the black one of these, by FAR the brightest compact light I've ever used. I compared all 4 flashlights I have in the apartment and there was no competition.

USMCsilver
04-11-2012, 20:35
I'm not flashlight connoisseur, but I have used your average everyday run of the mill $20 flash lights quite a bit.

I got the black one of these, by FAR the brightest compact light I've ever used. I compared all 4 flashlights I have in the apartment and there was no competition.

Glad to hear that you're impressed with it! :)

Nords
04-11-2012, 21:41
Since I have Amazon Prime, I'll spend 13.25 to have it in a day or 2 from their site.

Oh, and Amazons return policy will be worth it just in case.

USMCsilver
04-13-2012, 20:25
Since I have Amazon Prime, I'll spend 13.25 to have it in a day or 2 from their site.

Oh, and Amazons return policy will be worth it just in case.

Let us know on Mon/Tues what you think! :)

Javelin
04-13-2012, 20:52
I'm still waiting for delivery.....

:impatient:

OrangeJoe
04-14-2012, 12:54
Short version:
Get the Gray (Edit: Get whichever is cheaper. They have a Blue, Green, Red 3 pack now for $23.99!)

Long version:
Got the Gray two pack and the Black (200+lumen?) one. The three have exactly the same performance as far as I can eyeball on my Ikea AA alkalines. They should, as they are the same model (see silkscreen under the SiPik logo). Item number on the boxes was different thou. :dunno:

My current night stand light was a 2AA LED from Victorinox (I know) which is plenty bright. I ran the SiPik for 1:15 and while the hotspot for the Victorinox caught up with SiPik, the $7.98 light was still putting out much more light. Cool to the touch on the tail end of out put, got to "noticeably warm" at about 40 min into constant on.

At about one hour thirty of run time, I just exchanged batteries and compared back to the two others, still performing as bright. With fresh batteries on both the 2AA Victorinox and on the SiPik, there is no contest, the 2AA light looks like a toy.

Not a nightsun, but the small SiPik is best output light I have now (my old school G2 Surefire is about 2100 miles away, would love to see a comparo).

Surface finish is about what you would expect, the final coating looks decent, will see how it handles knocks. Clip screw threading goes right into the inside of the body, weakening any water tightness the o-ring may provide. One of the clip screws went in at an angle.

I would appreciate a walk through post if anyone attempts dis assembly to add heatsink grease or any other tweaks.

BTW, from what I read on candle power forums, this seems to be the Hi-Point of flashlights. Gets the job done, but nobody likes to talk too much about, 'only serious lights are interesting'.

Nords
04-14-2012, 12:58
Let us know on Mon/Tues what you think! :)

Well I got a dud.

There is only 1 sweet spot where it will work when turning the endcap.

Fully screwed in, it won't work, back it out half to 1 turn and sometimes it has just enough contact to work.

When it does, its not bad. I gotta compare it to my TLR-2 sometime, but I gotta send this version back. They clearly don't do any QC with using actual batteries and screwing it together.

Bring_it!
04-14-2012, 17:48
For $30 + shipping, I just picked up a Greg McGee Engineering M-2. It has a focusable lens, 3 lumen (30, 80, & 170) settings, strobe, and SOS. It's pretty cool.
Yep, made in china.
gregmcgeeengineering.com

berto62
04-14-2012, 18:00

Amazon.com: Streamlight 74301 Strion LED Flashlight with AC/12-Volt DC and 1-Holder, Black: Home Improvement (http://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-74301-Flashlight-12-Volt-1-Holder/dp/B001T7F3KA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334076132&sr=8-1)

For 10 times the price it better:rofl:

Javelin
04-14-2012, 18:05
For 10 times the price it better:rofl:

This.

brausso
04-15-2012, 11:25
I'm going to have to go against the grain here. I ordered two of the black ones. Worth the $10 yes, brighter than my other flashlights, no.

It's puts off a yellowish color vs a bright white color you see on a typical LED light.

OrangeJoe
04-15-2012, 22:09
Pardon my enthusiasm (and thread bump) but I just tried this outside on spot beam :shocked:

Brausso, I got three and all are as white as the other two LED lights I have. No noticeable tint on a white wall. I guess you lost the bin lotto.

Javelin
04-16-2012, 22:01
Just saw a 7W 300 lumen light for $7.95..... looks better than the 3W 200 lumen that we all got on this thread.

Damn.

http://slickguns.com/product/7w-300-lumens-mini-cree-led-flashlight-torch-adjustable-focus-zoom-light-lamp-662-free-ship-0

geofri
04-16-2012, 22:26
Just saw a 7W 300 lumen light for $7.95..... looks better than the 3W 200 lumen that we all got on this thread.

Damn.

http://slickguns.com/product/7w-300-lumens-mini-cree-led-flashlight-torch-adjustable-focus-zoom-light-lamp-662-free-ship-0

Start another and we'll all do it again! I'm still waiting on my light..

Javelin
04-16-2012, 22:30
Start another and we'll all do it again! I'm still waiting on my light..

Me too. I am not buying any more of these Chinylights until I get to play with the ones I ordered.

Though these others ones advertise 7W and w/ 14500 Li-Ion battery would be kind of neat.

:sigh:

larson1122
04-16-2012, 22:31

Damn.

Great now I just bought one of those too. Found them on ebay for under $7 with free shipping and it should be here on thursday. Still waiting on that first one, it's somewhere in China :dunno:

Nords
04-16-2012, 22:54
Thats why I bought mine from Amazon. Had it 2 days later, and their return department rocks should you need it.

Javelin
04-16-2012, 22:55
Thats why I bought mine from Amazon. Had it 2 days later, and their return department rocks should you need it.

Why?

You don't think Miao Chiapetflungadung won't take care of his customers should they have an issue with their child labor lights?

I so edited this.. you love me Mrs.Kitty!

USMCsilver
04-17-2012, 09:14
Worth the $10 yes, brighter than my other flashlights, no.

It's puts off a yellowish color vs a bright white color you see on a typical LED light.

Mine are quite white.

Outta curiosity, what are your "other flashlights"?

I'm still baffled weeks later. :)

KING-PIN
04-17-2012, 09:39
I got the black ones and they are working great so far. Very bright, compact, and feel solid.

I put one in the truck and the fiancÚ keeps the other one in her car.

brausso
04-17-2012, 10:55
Mine are quite white.

Outta curiosity, what are your "other flashlights"?

I'm still baffled weeks later. :)

I don't know the model numbers off hand, but I have a fenix and a jetbeam. I even compared it to one of those one's I got at costco in the 3 pack. I'm just using a regular AA battery, so maybe I need to upgrade my battery. I'm not complaining, it's worth the $10

USMCsilver
04-17-2012, 10:57
I'm not complaining, it's worth the $10

Cool. I was just wondering what you were stacking it up against. :wavey:

aircarver
04-17-2012, 11:17
Got mine, very impressed.... Went on ebay (search) ordered a 160 and a 300 lumen light. Waiting for them to evaluate....

Tackle
04-17-2012, 11:43
Got mine, very impressed.... Went on ebay (search) ordered a 160 and a 300 lumen light. Waiting for them to evaluate....

As I said on pg4, it's a great little light for 10 bucks. I ordered my Dad one has he couldn't believe how well it performed, puts all his flashlights to shame and will cost a lot less to use than the 2 D batteries he buys for his garage flashlights (though the D's may last longer)

JRS
04-18-2012, 10:12
Glad I saw this. I'm looking into the 1600 or 1800 lumen ones now. Might have to stray from my usual "r123 only" policy.

Nords
04-18-2012, 17:46
No pics, but I compared this light to my TLR-2's led, and found my gunlight to be much brighter, especially when I matched the zoom so both had equal spread.

Its not bad for a AA adjustable light, but nothing amazing.

USMCsilver
04-18-2012, 18:39
No pics, but I compared this light to my TLR-2's led, and found my gunlight to be much brighter, especially when I matched the zoom so both had equal spread.

Its not bad for a AA adjustable light, but nothing amazing.

Does your Streamlight hold a tight pattern at 150 yards? :dunno:

true believer
04-18-2012, 19:18
still waiting for my lights...
:whistling:

geofri
04-19-2012, 08:05
:cool:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/andygeofri/IMG_2057.jpg

:wow:
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/andygeofri/IMG_2058.jpg

Still kicks it out for one AA battery scrounged from the bottom of my junk drawer.

Off to the cheaper light thread!:supergrin:

Breadman03
04-19-2012, 11:04

Your C-cell batteries were dead, but were they used in the flashlight....

Longtooths
04-19-2012, 11:58
Bought three black ones from here:

http://www.tomtop.com/7w-300lm-mini-cree-led-flashlight-torch-adjustable-focus-zoom-light-lamp.html
Got all three with free shipping and total cost was

$20.03

Be sure to use the discount code "TT10APR30"

Black Dog Coffee
04-25-2012, 23:53
Bought three black ones from here:

http://www.tomtop.com/7w-300lm-mini-cree-led-flashlight-torch-adjustable-focus-zoom-light-lamp.html
Got all three with free shipping and total cost was

$20.03

Be sure to use the discount code "TT10APR30"
Thanks for the link and discount code! I bought three myself, same price.
I got two of the ones, which seem to be the same, from the Meritline link and have been extremely impressed by them. Brighter than my Streamlight Scorpion. I've been using the heck out of them and battery life has been good. After quite a bit of use I'm still on the first batteries with no noticeable decrease in brightness.

Javelin
04-25-2012, 23:57
I'm still waiting on my lights to arrive from China.

:impatient:

Mister_Beefy
04-26-2012, 00:58
well because of this thread I bought some of these lights.

pretty bright, and for super cheap.

we'll see how long they last before they crap out.

jtmac
04-26-2012, 01:30
I have mine, and I'm very impressed with the light it puts out. It is not built like a Surefire, but at this price I'm not complaining.

fork14
04-26-2012, 17:26
Just got two from Tomtop. I'll put them up against my E2E with the KX2 LED head.

true believer
04-26-2012, 21:06
sterling, got my 3 lights today...nice, your right...nice and bright!!
2:thumbsup::thumbsup:

true believer
04-26-2012, 21:07
I have mine, and I'm very impressed with the light it puts out. It is not built like a Surefire, but at this price I'm not complaining.

ditto that!!

USMCsilver
04-29-2012, 16:31
sterling, got my 3 lights today...nice, your right...nice and bright!!
2:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Bob -- awesome!

Mine are still working just fine. :)

larson1122
04-29-2012, 16:35
I finally got mine and have been using them a little over a week now. Very bright little lights. Definitely going to be ordering more.

AR-G23
04-30-2012, 11:57
Mine finally showed up. This light is CRAZY bright. Went to the web site to order a few more and the price is now $15.99

http://www.meritline.com/showproduct.aspx?ProductID=44806&SEName=focus-zoom-lens-flashlight-light

Did this thread drum up enough demand that it caused them to raise the price? Folks, quit buying these lights so the price will go back down, I need about 4 more.

USMCsilver
04-30-2012, 14:53
Mine finally showed up. This light is CRAZY bright. Went to the web site to order a few more and the price is now $15.99

http://www.meritline.com/showproduct.aspx?ProductID=44806&SEName=focus-zoom-lens-flashlight-light

Did this thread drum up enough demand that it caused them to raise the price? Folks, quit buying these lights so the price will go back down, I need about 4 more.

Hmm. Interesting.

It fluctuated slightly during the "frenzy" but never went anywhere near the double your listing.

Odd.

Cooper
04-30-2012, 20:40
Got mine today. Did a comparison with my Fenix E21. The eBay light is not as well finished, but it seems sturdy. it is certainly brighter.

I am a photographer by trade. I set up my camera on a tripod and photograph the lights at a distance of ten feet or so from my garage door. The exposure and processing is the same for all photos but the last.

The eBay light, zoomed all the way out:

http://darktopography.com/images/blog2012/05may/flashlight2.jpg

The Fenix:

http://darktopography.com/images/blog2012/05may/flashlight3.jpg

Both, with the eBay light zoomed about halfway:

http://darktopography.com/images/blog2012/05may/flashlight1.jpg

The square shape of the eBay light at full zoom:

http://darktopography.com/images/blog2012/05may/flashlight4.jpg

After I did this comparison, I dropped the eBay light on my garage floor five times from shoulder height. Still works great, and that's more abuse than I expect to give the light. I'm not a flashlight junkie, so I don't know what makes them fail. But I bought this one to test, so if anybody can think of something to try, short of completely destroying it, let me know.

USMCsilver
04-30-2012, 21:03
Cooper -- nice job.

Glad it survived the "drop test". Gives me a little more faith.

Caution, don't shine it on your hand and look at your hand if your eyes aren't already semi-adjusted to daylight.

Lampshade
04-30-2012, 22:18
-
After I did this comparison, I dropped the eBay light on my garage floor five times from shoulder height. Still works great, and that's more abuse than I expect to give the light. I'm not a flashlight junkie, so I don't know what makes them fail. But I bought this one to test, so if anybody can think of something to try, short of completely destroying it, let me know.

Dunk test.

Nalapombu
05-01-2012, 00:37
So who has these lights now at the original price? I missed the initial frenzy and would like to get one now.
Who has 'em at $8?

Thanks

Nalajr

Deanster
05-01-2012, 02:38
Forgot to post when these arrived... they're pretty impressive little units, and for $8, they're ridonkulous.

I don't think I'd want to use them in a role where my life depended on them, but they're a great addition to the flashlight drawer.

In the modern era of really great flashlights, I try to keep a mix of a few high/mid-range flashlights like Surefire, Pelican, and nicer Fenix lights (and Petzl headlamps) for when I really need to be confident about their performance.

I also keep a bunch of those cheap Costco 'tactical' lights, and now these $8 China-lights as general-use lights. I'm noting that in many cases the cheapie lights are out-performing the high-end ones in terms of output... but they haven't won my confidence, and I'm not going to toss them in the hot tub overnight, like I do for lights I really want to KNOW will perform when I need them to.

larson1122
05-01-2012, 05:44

So who has these lights now at the original price? I missed the initial frenzy and would like to get one now.
Who has 'em at $8?

Thanks

Nalajr

They still have them for under $7 with free shipping on Ebay. Both ship from NJ so you don't have to wait 3 weeks to get them from China again.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CREE-Q3-LED-Adjustable-Zoom-Focus-Flashlight-Torch-Light-/170732197728?pt=US_Flashlights&hash=item27c06e9760

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-CREE-LED-Flashlight-7W-300LM-Torch-Adjustable-Focus-Zoom-Light-Lamp-/320881068203?pt=US_Flashlights&hash=item4ab60088ab

SubCaliber
05-01-2012, 08:54
Darn and I just ordered three from TomTop. Oh well for $20 for three if they get here and work I will be more than happy. I'll even be amazed if they live up to the hype. For under $7 each it's worth the gamble.

SGT HATRED
05-01-2012, 19:27
I do enjoy both!

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q37/Merlin-X/2012-05-01162234.jpg

Cooper
10-19-2012, 07:39
An updated after six months with this flashlight:

Still working well, but the interior cone reflector thing is loose. This could have happened when I dropped it as mentioned above. The only real problem this causes is that sometimes the light won't zoom all the way to the end of its range because the reflector gets in the way. Not ideal, but not a deal breaker.

I have used this light as my primary "outdoors" light (with a backup, of course) and been generally pleased with it. For the price, I'm actually VERY pleased, and I ordered three more when I found them on Amazon for $5 each. The Fenix will stay in the gun cabinet, but I can't think of a better value for $15 spent toward light.

poles19
10-19-2012, 08:40
I ordered mine and never received it. After about a month I sent an email to the company and told them I never received the light. They said I can either get a light or a refund, i opted to get the light still. I received the light fairly quickly and the light has been great. The light stays in the center console of my car and clips onto the bin that is in the console, it works out great there. When me and my fiancee went camping over Labor Day weekend, this was the only light we used and it was real nice being able to zoom in when we were walking to the bathroom at 1 a.m. so we didn't shine the light in anyone's tent.

aircarver
10-19-2012, 09:05
I found a downside of the Cree flashlights...

I was working on a computer board in a dark corner and shined the Cree on the board ... almost blinded myself ! It's too bright for close work ! Had to grab an older multi diode flashlight to get an appropriate (lower) level of light ! ... :supergrin:

USMCsilver
10-19-2012, 09:15
Glad y'all are still enjoying your lights! :)

jtmac
10-19-2012, 09:28
I'm glad this thread was bumped back up. I couldn't find it or my invoice from the store I purchased it from.

Time to buy some more cheap lights!

janice6
10-19-2012, 09:53
I bought a bunch of these for the kids for $8 each. Work great. I have had them for over 6 months now and like them very much. Very long life with AA lithium cells.

I also bought a 3600 Lm flash light that is excellent too. Takes 2 or 3 (with included extension) 18650 batteries and charger, for $36. Very bright. However, at a distance the 3600 Lm one spreads the light out because you can't focus it into a tight beam as the smaller ones.

I found a 1600 Lm light that is slightly larger than the little one talked about in the OP, and it is the best compromise yet. The 1600Lm one has the adjustable focus and runs off a 18650 rechargeable Lithium battery, or 3 AAA.

The ability to focus makes the 1600 Lm flashlight produce a higher intensity focus spot at 100 yards, than the 3600 Lm one.

I found 5 Ampere Hour batteries for cheap also on Ebay, and they are working extremely well, very happy. I bought the 1600 Lm light for $16 and bought the charger and 5 AMP Hr 18650 Batteries separately from the light (cheaper). I liked it's performance so well, I bought another for a spare.

wjv
10-19-2012, 10:20
Better flashlights provide
- reliability
- warranty
- better run times

Nothing wrong with a $10 light. . But 5 years from now your surefire will still be running and the $10 light will be in the trash.

The counter argument is that for what one surefire costs, you can buy a lot of replacements for your $10 light. .

srhoades
11-10-2012, 15:36
Bought one from Meritline. Crazy impressed by how bright it was. Bought 3 more to have in vehicles and around the house.

Lampshade
11-10-2012, 15:54
So I used one for a few months since this thread was last bumped.

One a real low battery, sometimes the light will just fail to turn on. Try again, it goes on.

I also had at least a couple of instances where it failed to immediately activate when I don't believe the battery was that low.

I replaced it with a Klarus for EDC and nightstand use, and the Klarus (XT1C) throws out WAY more light. The klarus is my first "real" light and I was amazed at how much it blew away these cheapo lights in terms of brightness, and I previously was VERY impressed with the brightness of the cheapo.

Adjuster
11-10-2012, 17:22
Just placed an order for 1.

/

Adjuster
11-10-2012, 17:28
Great I saw the link to Ebay for $2.00 less. Couldn't pass up the deal so now I have 2 lights on the way. The black and silver.

/

true believer
11-10-2012, 17:36
thats all i use now...:wavey:

mac66
11-10-2012, 18:00
Been watching this thread for awhile. Just ordered four off of ebay for $5.68 ea with free shipping.

m2hmghb
11-10-2012, 18:20
Just wanted to say thanks again Sterling. They came in handy during the outage from Sandy and this last snowy nor easter. 10 days without power out of 14 days sucked. Using one AA battery is a great thing.

cosmose
11-11-2012, 08:08
How long does the batteries last? seems like one AA at 200 lumens wouldn't last long?

itstime
11-11-2012, 08:24
I bought 4 of those. Great to beat on. Still working.

yellolab
11-11-2012, 08:34
How long does the batteries last? seems like one AA at 200 lumens wouldn't last long?

When the power went out here I used one as a reading lamp- battery stars to dim after 40 mins, out within 60.

Kevin

Schrag4
11-11-2012, 08:51
When this thread was born I went out and bought 4 of them. I gave one to my father-in-law, he loves it. The other three are stashed around the house, I use them pretty much daily. No complaints so far. I understand the whole "buy once, cry once" thing, but I just don't see myself buying a light for several hundred dollars when I can have literally dozens of these for the same price, and they work pretty darn well. If you need a light and you're not a light snob, I'd recommend these. Buy a few, they're cheap.