She is getting there [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : She is getting there

man.cave
03-31-2012, 20:15
I posted here a few weeks ago about my wife and her new g26 gen 4. She shot it again today and did really well with it. the only issue she had was after the gun fired and the rd would eject and chamber the next, but would lack a "tad" from sliding all the way forward thus wouldn't contact the primer with full force. I didn't have any problem, I think that she is still not holding it firm enough. She shot my G19 without issue. Over all it was a much better experience than last time.

NEOH212
03-31-2012, 22:40
Tell her to hang in there and keep practicing often. She will get it in no time! I would recommend that she work on her grip and it wouldn't hurt to get some professional instruction for her either.

man.cave
04-08-2012, 21:42
Well I think I need to look else where for a side arm for her. We shot more today and she just can't seem to make the gun cycle reliable enough to trust it. I hate that. I have shot 300 rds through it myself with no problems, and she has shot my 19 and 22 and 23 with no problems, I guess the shorter barrel creates the issues. She did shoot a friends Sig P238 today and liked it.

Just don't know where to go from here

SARDG
04-10-2012, 09:06
Well I think I need to look else where for a side arm for her. We shot more today and she just can't seem to make the gun cycle reliable enough to trust it. I hate that. I have shot 300 rds through it myself with no problems, and she has shot my 19 and 22 and 23 with no problems...

Just don't know where to go from here
Although a smaller gun may be more difficult to hang on to, if she's shot the 22 and 23, she should be fine with the 26. And it seems that you have put several hundred rounds through it to break it in. (Though Glocks normally need no real break-in and historically operate right out the box.)

I have to ask... is she using the proper grip? I'm a (female) NRA Instructor and see many (men and women) come to our classes exhibiting the wrong grip - in particular the 'tea cup' where a shooter simply (and incorrectly) grips the gun with their strong hand, and then lays their weak hand out flat for a rest for their strong hand and the gun. Check this popular video where Todd Jarrett runs through grip (and stance):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysa50-plo48

Notice the high-in-the-backstrap initial grip and the fingers of both hands up tight against the trigger guard. Also, the heel of the support hand should be tight against the grip. About 2/3 of the grip strength comes from the weak hand. This grip was pioneered by Brian Enos and Rob Leatham many years ago and is the grip currently used by ALL successful competitive professional shooters today. Understandably, it is also the grip taught by NRA - very effective! I shoot competitively and use and teach this grip exclusively (for semi-autos).

She may also want to try the +2 mag extensions for a little extra place for the pinky.

ithaca_deerslayer
04-10-2012, 09:18
I doubt it is anything specific to the G26 as a model. Probably more just this specific gun needs more break in.

If you can shoot it, but she can't, have you thought about maybe finding an instructor for her. Maybe the way she holds it can improve the issue.

For example, I'd wonder if she is using strong push out with web of shooting hand, and pull back with the support fingers. The shooting arm may want to have elbow locked, and shoulder locked. The support arm elbow may want to be bent, pulling the gun firmly into the web of her shooting hand (web between the thumb and index finger).

This ideally would provide stronger brace for the gun to recoil against, thus helping it to cycle reliably.

Also, suggest using American Eagle 124gr or Lawman 124gr, for practise, and something like Gold Dot 124gr for carry. Those rounds, especially the Gold Dots, with help the slide to cycle. You might already be using equally stout ammo, but if not, it is worth a switch.

With the grip I suggested above, she may also want to put her support side foot (left foot, if right handed) forward. This may help her to have more mass leaning into the gun a bit. I don't mean for her to be out of balance, but don't want her going backwards from the recoil. Her posture should be a bit forward. Thus helping to give the gun something firm to cycle against.

You, maybe because you are larger or stronger, or maybe more experienced shooting, might not have to think about these things, and might not have problems getting that G26 to cycle ok. But if anything about her shooting allows that gun frame to come back at the same time as the slide is trying to come back, then the possibility it doesn't cycle the slide at the speed (relative to the frame) that it needs to.

Again, I don't think it is a general statement of the 26. While the 26 is smaller than the 19, it is still generally regarded as a reliable format. But the G4, even the larger guns like the 17 and 19 have been having some issues. She could probably fire my 2 decade old Glock 26 just fine. But her newer one might need more breaking in until it becomes more forgiving of a variety of grips and stances. In the meantime, she could try a few things to see if that helps her.

Just some ideas. Also can think about giving her the 19 that does work for her right now.

Good luck :)

ithaca_deerslayer
04-10-2012, 09:26
I'm a (female) NRA Instructor and see many (men and women) come to our classes exhibiting the wrong grip

Check this popular video where Todd Jarrett runs through grip (and stance):

Understandably, it is also the grip taught by NRA - very effective! I shoot competitively and use and teach this grip exclusively (for semi-autos).

Good advice. Good video.

The NRA actually teaches two grips and stances (both described in their basic pistol manual). So SARDG and Todd Jarret are showing you the one way (more modern), and I described the other way (more old school).

Use either one of those that helps :) I shoot them both.

SARDG
04-10-2012, 10:13
I doubt it is anything specific to the G26 as a model...

If you can shoot it, but she can't, have you thought about maybe finding an instructor for her. Maybe the way she holds it can improve the issue...
Deerslayer, once again we are on the same track... :)

man.cave
04-13-2012, 12:48
Thanks for the advice, I have worked alot with her on grips. Not saying that I am instructor level teacher, but feel good with pistols altogether. I am leanning slightly more towards it being a gen 4, although the gen 3 had a 2 spring recoil design, it isn't the same spring design. my 19,23,22 are all gen 3. She hasn't shot my 21 which is a gen 4. The problem is, she knows how to shoot and shoot well, (stance, grip, and sighting), but has lost trust in the purchased gen 4 g26. She calls it "my G26" now. In other words if in a SHTF situation, she doesn't want to have to think about if this thing going to cycle or not, did I have my position correct or not. Don't get me wrong, I love
Glocks and carry Glocks, and it pains me to think my wife may be caring something else, but I want her to find what will work best.

man.cave
04-15-2012, 22:12
Well the strugle is over, she bought a Walther pk380 and loves it, she shot close to 200 rds through it and asking when we can go and shot it again. She purchased a cc purse and started carrying it.