Out of State Police Stops [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Out of State Police Stops

philipk
04-01-2012, 21:08
What information do police get when running an out of state license plate.

I live in Ohio and when in state a police officer runs my plates they see I have a CCW permit.

When I am out of state what information do the local police have when they run my license plate?

In the summer of 2010, I was stopped for speeding in New York State and was given a verbal warning by a sheriff's deputy.

The first question he asked me was did I have firearms in the car. Truthfully, I said no.

When he ran a check on my license plate, did it show that I had a CCW?

PghJim
04-02-2012, 04:24
I follow the laws of the state I am in. First, I would never carry a gun into NY State. I am from PA and my CCW permit does not require me to disclose I have a weapon while I am in PA. As to whether it shows on the information he looks up, I would say, probably, but I have never been asked or told. I have been stopped many times in the past 20 years. Now if he asks me, I have to tell him that I am carrying and show him my permit. In a state that recognizes a PA permit like WV and KY, I follow the state laws pertaining to concealed carry. If the state requires disclosure whenever I am confronted by an office, I disclose. I do not think a state patrol in WV or KY has information that tells them I have a CCW permit, but it might. I would always assume they know.

In PA, I do not disclosed when pulled over, but some people have told me they have had good experiences when they have told the officer they were carrying.

Bren
04-02-2012, 04:39
You should put this in Cop Talk - when I was a cop, we got the same info, whether out of state or in state, but that was before the wave of shall-issue CCW laws in the late 90's. Hasn't crossed my maind to ask, since, because I don't really care. The government issues the permit, so I don't think they are conspiring to find out if I have one.

Paul53
04-02-2012, 13:42
Texas CCW permits have the same number as your license, so check one check all. I assume when out of state a license check will show the CCW data.

mrsurfboard
04-02-2012, 15:44
It's different with each state. Each state decides what info to send to NLETS.