Rule Number One [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Rule Number One

Chesafreak
04-02-2012, 13:08
I know many preppers say you should work on getting credit debt paid off first, or stock this or that first.

How many of you have taken an honest assessment of your phycical condition? If the SHTF, are you in good enough shape to survive and protect yourself and your family? If not, will your family members survive without you? Regardless of whether your SHTF event is as simple as getting attacked by a single BG, or as bad as TEOTWAWKI, are you fit enough to fight and survive?

I was on vacation last week at an indoor waterpark. I noticed that only about 4 people out of the crowd seemed to be in good shape. The rest were pretty fluffy. At least I know where I will get my food if things get desperate enough. :whistling:

Remember rule number 1: Cardio

Without the ability to physically overcome any survival scenarios, does any other preps even matter? I am speaking to those who are not disabled.

Bolster
04-02-2012, 14:06
I totally agree. Cardio above all else.

quake
04-02-2012, 14:31
Greatly under-stressed imo. Might be that I'm overly conscious of it, being closer to 60 than 40 and having to work at things more than I used to. But look at the "prepper" videos on youtube with 400-lb guys packing up a 60lb BOB; with 30 lbs of that pack weight being weapons. Problems is, fitness just isn't as fun a topic as 'which gun', 'which vehicle', or "at what point do you eat your neighbor's kids?". :supergrin:

I did some work at the church this saturday, breaking up & removing some asphalt & concrete to re-do some drainage areas; using a shovel, pick and jackhammer. It was the first time in near 20 years I used a jackhammer, and I paid for it some on sunday. I'm fairly strong, but the jackhammer did remind me of my own limitations.

I don't know if I'd say cardio 'above all else' because the few tussles I've been in it was invariably brute strength that made the difference in my personal case; but I absolutely agree that cardio is probably the most negelected aspect for most people, myself included if I don't actively stay on myself about it. (Lifting weights is fun, cardio is more like work. But like the man said, "You don't have to like it, you just have to do it"... :sad: )

Glock30Eric
04-02-2012, 14:38
Paleo or Primal diet is the solution that they need.

The cardio does help it little but if they keep up with their nasty diet then the cardio effort means nothing. 90% of people don’t know how to live without a sugar, bread, flour, HCFS, and soda.

Diet is number 1. It has the direct impact on your health’s wellness. If you have fixed your diet, then the cardio and weight-lifting will get you the result you have desired for. You'll be far better than 90% of the population.

Chesafreak
04-02-2012, 14:49
Right. I simply said rule number one is cardio because its something that anyone who has seen Zombieland can identify with.

Regardless of your workouts, if you aren't eating right then you are wasting your time working out. I read somewhere that diet is 80 percent of getting or staying in shape. Diet is the foundation of fitness just like I'm trying to get the point across that fitness (if able-bodied) should be the foundation of prepping.

cowboywannabe
04-02-2012, 15:04
why worry about your credit card balances if shtf?

i mean if you have to retreat or bunker down in a hide out, do you think the ups man will just drive up to your door with an order of ammo for you?

Chesafreak
04-02-2012, 15:10

i mean if you have to retreat or bunker down in a hide out, do you think the ups man will just drive up to your door with an order of ammo for you?

That's not what this thread is about. You are nitpicking an irrelevant point.

cowboywannabe
04-02-2012, 15:12
I know many preppers say you should work on getting credit debt paid off first, or stock this or that first.
How many of you have taken an honest assessment of your phycical condition? If the SHTF, are you in good enough shape to survive and protect yourself and your family? If not, will your family members survive without you? Regardless of whether your SHTF event is as simple as getting attacked by a single BG, or as bad as TEOTWAWKI, are you fit enough to fight and survive?

I was on vacation last week at an indoor waterpark. I noticed that only about 4 people out of the crowd seemed to be in good shape. The rest were pretty fluffy. At least I know where I will get my food if things get desperate enough. :whistling:

Without the ability to physically overcome any survival scenarios, does any other preps even matter? I am speaking to those who are not disabled.

it was the first thing you brought up.

cowboywannabe
04-02-2012, 15:12
That's not what this thread is about. You are nitpicking an irrelevant point.

sorry, just commenting on your post.

RWBlue
04-02-2012, 15:42
Sorry guys, I should have written this down earlier.
#1. Live in reality.
#2. Don't talk about your preps to those who are not in the inner circle of trust.

Somewhere down the line is personal health.

Until recently I was letting my health slide, but I have reached the age where I will have to spend more time working on keeping healthy. You will be seeing less of me over the next couple months and that is a good thing.

Bolster
04-02-2012, 15:47
Maybe the way you guys live is different, but I use cardio every day. So for me cardio is #1, and personal health is not 'somewhere down the line.' Strength is desirable, but for me it comes after cardio. Generally I can figure out a way to get around brute strength (and sometimes not!), but when you need cardio, you gotta have it, and nothing else will do.

kimo
04-02-2012, 16:13
When it comes to a tussel, RunFu works best

quake
04-02-2012, 16:49
When it comes to a tussel, RunFu works best

:supergrin: True, as long as possible.

Problem is that RunFu skills gradually weaken, and the options turn toward the choice of "StompFu" vs "StompedFu" (and I've also been working on my "Diplomacy Kwan Do" as well, truth be told). Push comes to shove, I guess the final option is GlockRyu. :cool:

Last year, was messing around with one of the neighbor kids and after him asking why I worked so much on arm & wrist strength (I got him down repeatedly & he never got me even though he's a college football player), I explained the simple truth. I'm just too old & slow to outrun trouble anymore, so I need to be able to both squush it, as well as willing & able to absorb punishment in the process. I'd rather have the option of RunFu in addition to as many others as possible; but that one's gradually and irrevocably abandoning me.

Avoidance is the best policy, agree 100%; whether it's a brushfire, a gunfight, or rising floodwaters. Thing is, I can't outrun some of the things that I used to be able to so I have to fall back to a plan 'B' so to speak.

Can't remember the old saying... Something along the lines of "don't mess with an old guy. He's too stubborn to take a butt-whooping anymore, so he's liable to just shoot you."

Another one that cracked me up was a number of years ago Granny (my wife's grandmother, 90 or 91 at the time) was bad angry about some arkansas politician in the news, and popped off with something along the lines of, "Oughta just shoot 'im. A life sentence now don't mean the same as it used to." :rofl:

cowboy1964
04-02-2012, 17:00

Because unless you're talking end-of-the-world SHTF, your financial situation matters.

Continual credit card balances are about the dumbest financial mistake people make.

Bolster
04-02-2012, 18:05
:supergrin: Another one that cracked me up was a number of years ago Granny (my wife's grandmother, 90 or 91 at the time) was bad angry about some arkansas politician in the news, and popped off with something along the lines of, "Oughta just shoot 'im. A life sentence now don't mean the same as it used to." :rofl:

What a liberating notion! Make a list and get to it when you're 90.

Remember the geezer hitman in Sopranos? Gets the job done then kills himself reaching for his inhalator while driving.

DoctaGlockta
04-02-2012, 18:09
I run 4-5 miles 6 days a week. Sometimes longer if time permits. Cycle couple of times a week also. Have done for years. I'm not in the greatest shape in the world but if push comes to shove I could run quite a distance if I had to.

Akita
04-02-2012, 21:23
Well I thought rule #1 was keep your mouth shut.

Somebody's gonna have to make up their minds on this, cause you all are confusing me.

wildcat455
04-02-2012, 22:28
LOL! I am fat, outta shape (Unless ROUND is not a shape!) but last I checked, there wasn't TOO many situations I planned on getting in that involved a "Voluntary" or an "Involuntary" marathon. Besides, I can't out run a bullet...even if I am in better shape than my first sentence alluded to...Or even as good a shape as some who post here... Either way, I suspect I'll still have enough cardio in me to put a few downrange... Apologies if you are downrange...

You can die tired, I'll die with my twinkie...

So... What were we talking about again?

This was my attempt at HUMOR...

TangoFoxtrot
04-03-2012, 04:08
Quote: "I noticed that only about 4 people out of the crowd seemed to be in good shape. The rest were pretty fluffy. At least I know where I will get my food if things get desperate enough." :whistling:

My rule number one is to take out the people who make comments like this.

Chesafreak
04-03-2012, 04:14
Quote: "I noticed that only about 4 people out of the crowd seemed to be in good shape. The rest were pretty fluffy. At least I know where I will get my food if things get desperate enough." :whistling:

My rule number one is to take out the peoople who make comments like this.

Ok, if you insist on taking me out, do I get to choose the restaurant or bar?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

cowboywannabe
04-03-2012, 04:25
Because unless you're talking end-of-the-world SHTF, your financial situation matters.

Continual credit card balances are about the dumbest financial mistake people make.

tis true. but what kind of shtf scenario is being considered? hurricane katrina, tornado, earth quake? shtf and staying put yes, things will get fixed and so on. bugging out and worried about some zombie crap, no.

ive read so much stuff on here that is way out there that i take most of it as the end of the world stuff the way some folks talk.

if you mean surviving a week until "fema" or national guard comes in with the red cross then yes, keep your credit good.

if you mean governmental collaps then no.

jason10mm
04-03-2012, 09:45
Fat is just pre-deployed survival rations :P

One thing I think we will see return in a big way in a SHTF scenario is the "threat display". I think modern man is far to eager to engage in physical conflict because they know there is a extensive medical intrastructure backing them up. Take that away though and punching someone in the face can kill you from an infection contracted from scrapping against the teeth. So rather than actually fight, folks will emulate the animals and have a puffed up threat display. Just look at gang members, they have retained these customs.

Anyway, this is a long winded way of saying run-fu is paramount, superceeded only by "looking tough-fu" :)

As for the credit thing, having your finances in order is because getting your stuff repoed WILL happen, it is not a hypothetical. I can guarantee being broke makes life hard. SHFT may never happen, but troubles from being in debt ALWAYS happen.

Dexters
04-03-2012, 09:46
I did this recently - 11 hrs rt, 8 miles rt, 4,400 vertical feet gain over 4 miles, snowshoeing required below the tree line - age high 50s

I wonder how many people that talk about bugging out with their bug out bag could do it?

Chesafreak
04-03-2012, 09:55
I did this recently - 11 hrs rt, 8 miles rt, 4,400 vertical feet gain over 4 miles, snowshoeing required below the tree line - age high 50s

I wonder how many people that talk about bugging out with their bug out bag could do it?

That's awesome!

quake
04-03-2012, 10:05
Three weeks ago, to the top, and my wife & two nieces went all the way up as well:
http://images.topix.com/gallery/up-70FS8H1ADMN55T3K.jpg

Don't know details on altitude & such, it's just something to do. Too snaky & ticky for my tastes once the weather gets warmer, so it's a spring thing.

Dexters
04-03-2012, 10:12
Too snaky & ticky for my tastes once the weather gets warmer, so it's a spring thing.

Congrats - please read up on Lyme Disease - it isn't too wide spread in the Southeast but people do get it. It scares me.

Bolster
04-03-2012, 10:23
Fat is just pre-deployed survival rations :P

Now THAT is funny!

According to the health experts, you can be both overweight and in good cardio shape. It's possible. Good cardio does not have to mean rail thin.

medicguy94
04-03-2012, 10:58
I have a lot of arthritis in both my knees as well as my vertebral column, and was advised by the orthopaedic surgeon that I deal with not to run. I get my cardio done on an eliptical trainer. I am up to 35 minutes on it twice a week. I need to spend more time on this piece of equipment.

Another thing I need to do is get on my mountain bike start riding it again.

Kieller
04-03-2012, 11:12
Greatly under-stressed imo. Might be that I'm overly conscious of it, being closer to 60 than 40 and having to work at things more than I used to. But look at the "prepper" videos on youtube with 400-lb guys packing up a 60lb BOB; with 30 lbs of that pack weight being weapons. Problems is, fitness just isn't as fun a topic as 'which gun', 'which vehicle', or "at what point do you eat your neighbor's kids?". :supergrin:

My thoughts exactly. I always laugh when folks talk about hauling 60# BOBs on their back for 20 miles when the only exercise they get involves walking to their car every day.

I stay active and typically exercise 6 days a week. With a desk job its even more important to stay active when not at work. Your health should be your #1 concern because it has a very high, if not the highest, probability of impacting your immediate and long term future.

SHTF can = heart attack, stroke, diabetes, etc. etc...

DrSticky
04-03-2012, 11:23
I CrossFit 4-5 times a week and try and sneak in some swims and runs. Although this week I have missed a bunch. General Physical Preparedness is a key component of CrossFit and my workout routine.

I think the majority of the crisis I will run into in my life can be solved by physical fitness. I have told many a soldier that the Army pays them first to be in shape and second to be able to shoot.

I do agree with RWBlue about Rule #1 - Don't talk about the prepping club.

quake
04-03-2012, 15:20
Congrats - please read up on Lyme Disease - it isn't too wide spread in the Southeast but people do get it. It scares me.

Familiar with it. I cheat & wear dog flea & tick collars on my boots, with the cut off portions stuck in my pockets for whatever added benefit they may offer. Grosses my wife out & she won't do it, but that just means I get to check her for ticks later.

glockguerilla
04-03-2012, 18:30
Can't go wrong with good physical condition period. I also think other aspects of goodhealth...I'm having all dental needs met of this month. And also have good preps in the meds dept....stocked up on antibiotics and other related health/1st aid supplies. I try to look at big picture in maintaining overall good health now and in SHTF scenario (I mostly consider natural disasters, flu pandemics, terrorist event, & economic collapse in my SHTF scenarios).

Aceman
04-03-2012, 19:31
Financial fitness is very important - but physical fitness is MORE important.

My wife and i, when putting together a little scorecard for the family, had some big discussions about this. Ultimately we arrived at this:

#1 Health is the most important thing. Without it, none of the rest matters.
- If you are unhealthy, you won't enjoy life even if there is no Zombie Apocalypse. If one does happen, you'll enjoy it for a much shorter period of time, if all.

#2 Relationships come next. Hard to be in a relationship if you are dead (see #1). But even if you are perdectly fit and all alone, not much point in living.
- I realize others may feel differently, but I suspect they are few. And few, if any, preppers will actually be able to go it alone.

#3 Show me the money...

and if I had my life to live over - I'd have taken WAY better care of my teeth!

The Machinist
04-03-2012, 19:45
I began working out last year at the age of 32, having never done it in my life. It kicked my butt, and still does, but you cannot put a price on having a body that responds to your brain's commands!

It's not just great for SHTF, but in everyday life as well. :supergrin:

Warp
04-03-2012, 19:57

I strength train pretty damn seriously. I can move some pretty good weight.

My cardio could use a little bit of work though.

Don't go overboard judging physical fitness by appearance though. There are some fluffy looking people in pretty good shape, and quite a few fluffy looking people who are pretty damn strong.

UneasyRider
04-03-2012, 20:34
Maybe the way you guys live is different, but I use cardio every day. So for me cardio is #1, and personal health is not 'somewhere down the line.' Strength is desirable, but for me it comes after cardio. Generally I can figure out a way to get around brute strength (and sometimes not!), but when you need cardio, you gotta have it, and nothing else will do.

I do 30 minutes of my favorite stretches, kicks, punches and blocks to loosen up and then hit the Nordic Track Eliptical for 30 minutes every morning. My wife has been taking me walking with her (she really moves) and she takes me to Planet Fitness where I play with the weight machines for an hour a couple of times a week.

That all sounds good but I am down to 245 pounds and would like to be 195 pounds (I'm 6'3" tall) and I have issues with my lower back that will screw me up if I am not careful, I could probably use surgery but who trusts their back to that? And like another poster I could have taken better care of my teeth so now I pay the dentist a grand a year to keep me going, I would pull them all but I have condidence in the teeth in a day peoples price coming down to my price range... I had them at 20 gold eagles when they were going for $1500 per. As a side note they would not discount a penny but when I said gold, they dropped $5,000 off of the price in a no paper trail transaction, I love capitalism!

Akita
04-04-2012, 18:43

My rule number one is to take out the people who make comments like this.

If youll include the nerdy little snots that love to point out that they use firefox and never have any security issues, I'll cover your back all the way to Hell.

lawman800
04-05-2012, 01:44
OpSec first and foremost. You can be in the best shape and prepared and stocked and all that and what not, but if there is no secret about who you are and what you got, you got to fight off quite a bit of problems to live peacefully and ride it out.

pugman
04-11-2012, 08:21
Been training for the tough mudder coming up in September since last October.

At 42 and 5'7 there is no way I'm running 6-7 minute miles over a 12 mile obstacle course...I just don't have the stride; but I'm up to running 6 miles at a nice ten minute pace. I do several slower long term burns as I call them building up my endurance targeting 1500 calories. The mudder isn't a race nor is it timed and with a 30% drop/injury rate finishing it is an accomplishment. At least on a treadmill I know I can put on a 35# pack and cover ten miles in about 2.5 hours. Outdoor training probably starts today.

Strength train every other day on 8-10 machines specifically targeting core muscle groups (chest, tris, biceps, thighs, hamstrings, etc) Am I benching 250# nope...but I'm up to 210. I also do a handful of things like push up, situps (up to 200 in 4 reps)...I really hate pullups

My big weakness which I will address over the next 5 months ramping up to the event is stretching - even working my lower back and legs I'm still tight enough where I fear an injury on one of the obstacles. I might start taking Yoga.

I know I'm in the best shape of my life as I type this. My weakness is the other half who despite my most sincere efforts can't get to join me in the gym.

jason10mm
04-11-2012, 09:25
I'm training for a spartan beast run in October. Definitely challenges you to find more time to exercise! I'm planning in adding kettle bells and doing the p90x pylometrics and back/legs routines to my runs and weight lifting.

RWBlue
04-11-2012, 10:11
Been training for the tough mudder coming up in September since last October.

If I remember correctly they had fire that you had to jump through last year, so don't wear polyester.

pugman
04-11-2012, 11:09
If I remember correctly they had fire that you had to jump through last year, so don't wear polyester.

mmm most participants say don't wear cotton as it will be soaked and take forever to dry..

RW says don't wear polysester...

Maybe I run it naked :supergrin::supergrin:

Seriously, anyone with wardrobe choices pass them long. Lots of people tell me Mad Grip gloves work well....and cut the fingertips to get even greater feel for some of the obstacles.

I've been told goggles are pretty much a waste

RWBlue
04-11-2012, 11:59
mmm most participants say don't wear cotton as it will be soaked and take forever to dry..

RW says don't wear polysester...

Maybe I run it naked :supergrin::supergrin:

Seriously, anyone with wardrobe choices pass them long. Lots of people tell me Mad Grip gloves work well....and cut the fingertips to get even greater feel for some of the obstacles.

I've been told goggles are pretty much a waste

I guy I worked with (half my age), did it. Here is what I am thinking.

Cotton is not really an issue for this because you can shower and change cloths at the end.

If I were doing it, I would probably go with BDU pants, setup with suspenders. (Yes, they look funny, but they don't fall down.) and a t-shirt.

I am not familiar with MAD Gloves. I like bicycle gloves. No fingers, rubbery padded grip. The ones I am currently using on the bicycle are fairly tight.

The other thing to know is, the hardest part for the young hard bodies is they have thinking exercises/obstacles. The hard part for us old people is just running the course.

pugman
04-11-2012, 15:44
I guy I worked with (half my age), did it. Here is what I am thinking.

Cotton is not really an issue for this because you can shower and change cloths at the end.

If I were doing it, I would probably go with BDU pants, setup with suspenders. (Yes, they look funny, but they don't fall down.) and a t-shirt.

I am not familiar with MAD Gloves. I like bicycle gloves. No fingers, rubbery padded grip. The ones I am currently using on the bicycle are fairly tight.

The other thing to know is, the hardest part for the young hard bodies is they have thinking exercises/obstacles. The hard part for us old people is just running the course.

Cotton is bad from what I've been told. It will never dry and the last thing I need to be doing it hauling around an extra couple of pounds of water. The other problem - put on a cotton t-shirt and soak it...thing will be hanging around you knees.

The other problem is anything with pockets can have water and mud build up in it....

And long pants...I'm running in September....I could be cooked by the 2nd mile...

Shoes: well some of the video have people walking through waste deep mud...if you lose a shoe its pretty much gone.

RWBlue
04-11-2012, 20:03
Cotton is bad from what I've been told. It will never dry and the last thing I need to be doing it hauling around an extra couple of pounds of water. The other problem - put on a cotton t-shirt and soak it...thing will be hanging around you knees.

The other problem is anything with pockets can have water and mud build up in it....

And long pants...I'm running in September....I could be cooked by the 2nd mile...

Shoes: well some of the video have people walking through waste deep mud...if you lose a shoe its pretty much gone.

I would not suggest cotton if you were going to wear it for a long time. Yes it takes forever to dry. Then again, will you wear your polyester long enough for it to dry out?

Pockets can be removed/opened up.

Check the temp for the last run. I think you will find it was cold.

Yes, some people end up shoeless.

PlasticGuy
04-11-2012, 20:19
A lot of guys here are horrible at risk analysis. What's more likely to ruin your life, a heart attack, financial problems, or a super-volcano?

Eat right and exercise, and pay off your credit cards. Then prepare for other stuff. Maxing out your credit card to buy MRE's is like selling your house to buy lottery tickets.

Warp
04-11-2012, 20:26
Strength train every other day on 8-10 machines specifically targeting core muscle groups (chest, tris, biceps, thighs, hamstrings, etc) Am I benching 250# nope...but I'm up to 210. I also do a handful of things like push up, situps (up to 200 in 4 reps)...I really hate pullups

Do you know what's great for training your core muscle groups?

The main freeweight barbell lifts. Squats, deadlifts, standing overhead press...and the olypmic lifts. Power cleans/full cleans and snatch/power snatch.

Chin-ups and Pull-ups are a PITA but they are excellent as well.

Glock30Eric
04-11-2012, 20:40
Do you know what's great for training your core muscle groups?

The main freeweight barbell lifts. Squats, deadlifts, standing overhead press...and the olypmic lifts. Power cleans/full cleans and snatch/power snatch.

Chin-ups and Pull-ups are a PITA but they are excellent as well.

Right

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

RWBlue
04-11-2012, 21:13
A lot of guys here are horrible at risk analysis.

I am pretty good at risk analysis. In fact I have a certification in it.

There are things I can do something about and things I can not.

I am 99% sure a heart attack will end my life.. I can delay it, but it will still be my end.

Financial concerns have happened and will happen again.

Things like Thermal Nuclear War do not concern me.

As far as guns, camping, hunting, fishing....most of us understand that these are hobbies and we are justifying our hobbies to ourselves.

Chesafreak
04-12-2012, 16:09
That all sounds good but I am down to 245 pounds and would like to be 195 pounds (I'm 6'3" tall) and I have issues with my lower back that will screw me up if I am not careful, I could probably use surgery but who trusts their back to that?

I also had issues with my lower back and daily back pain. After losing 30 pounds and strengthening my core, my back pain is pretty much gone. In addition to losing weight, yoga (P90X video series) did wonders for my back problems. I thought I had damaged my back from squats and deadlifts with poor form. I most likely just needed to lose the spare tire, strengthen my core, and regain flexibility.

Warp
04-12-2012, 16:30
I also had issues with my lower back and daily back pain. After losing 30 pounds and strengthening my core, my back pain is pretty much gone. In addition to losing weight, yoga (P90X video series) did wonders for my back problems. I thought I had damaged my back from squats and deadlifts with poor form. I most likely just needed to lose the spare tire, strengthen my core, and regain flexibility.

I did damage my back. A couple years ago I finally had an MRI, which showed a herniated L5-S1.

But I can still squat with good form, to depth, with a lot of weight. It just took time, stretching, being a form-nazi and starting light.

I firmly believe that heavy, deep, freeweight back squats were the best thing for my back. It rarely gives me any trouble now.

Lowdown3
04-14-2012, 07:20
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wznj0B9V4lc&feature=plcp&context=C47c8acdVDvjVQa1PpcFMy8-43nzJZOtfN4BHd_MuAWA9G63_RMBY%3D

FerFAL
04-14-2012, 22:30

I was writing about this the other day. You know what kills a lot of people during robberies? Heart attacks! They just cant handle the strees. Ive lost count of people suffering heart attacks during robberies, some dying because of them. Fat cab driver in Barcelona that got carjacked? When the punk poked him a couple times in the neck so as to intimidate him he suffered a heart attack as well (he survived though)
FerFAL