SHTF, one incident at a time [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : SHTF, one incident at a time

Kayaker
04-02-2012, 22:28
No, not the big collapse we have been talking about, but:

Last year lightning hit the side of my house, burned the cable, fried the computer and printer, and the land line phone, hence no outside communication for almost a week.

Last month a truck tore down the electric lines near us, and no power for a day and a half, then another pole came down, for most of a day. No electricity, used flashlights and solar driveway markers inside, and wind up light to read.

Yesterday we got an email that one of the county well pumps was down (repairs maybe 7 months!), and the salt content of the standby pumps is not safe for drinking or cooking (especially for those with high blood pressure, diabetes, etc.) I put to use the two 5 gallon water containers from my survival stash, and can refill them for 25 cents a gallon.

If these had happened on the same day, we would have been SOL. Any suggestions for a good water filter? I have small ones, but doubt they will clear salt.

Kayaker
04-03-2012, 12:32
Hi, it looks like the Katadyn Survivor 06 will fill the anti-salt requirement. Small but sounds great. Got the info from the thread here on filters.

jason10mm
04-03-2012, 12:35
Even with all that you are in Hawaii.

No sympathy from me :P Go sleep on the sand, chase some hulu girls, make fun of some haoles, and drink from coconuts.

Catshooter
04-03-2012, 14:00
My Berkey has been very trouble free for the last year. There is no potable water in Florida even with the SHTF not happening. Even if I could stand the taste I couldn't get past the smell.

Cat