Retention #.......? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Retention #.......?

xXxplosive
04-03-2012, 14:26
Was told there was an LE term used for when an officer draws his weapon and retains it along side his leg pointing towards the ground in a concealed fashion.....?

Also would this be a viable retention method IYO for someone perceiving an approaching threat after they've been told to "Stand Down" while closing the distance ?

Mas Ayoob
04-03-2012, 16:02
The only term I could think of for that technique would be, "What the (expletive deleted) are you THINKING?!?"

In days of old, that technique was taught in some academies and even made it into at least one textbook. It didn't take long to discover that since the gun was kinda behind your leg to hide it from the guy in front of you -- whom you were naturally keeping your eye on -- your gun was literally out of your view. If the bad guy's accomplice came in from your blind side, he'd have control of your drawn gun before you could react. In addition, with the gun all the way down and the arm straight, your hyperextended gun arm had little range of movement and you'd have relatively little arm strength with which to initially resist the gun grab.

Hand on holstered weapon is a much stronger, faster, safer position in every way for the situation you describe, IMHO.

best,
Mas

xXxplosive
04-04-2012, 16:07
Thank you for your knowledgable opinion.....and I agree.....But.....can't tell you how many times I seen this retention position used in the 20+ yrs. I worked in Newark, NJ.
It was very commonly used by LEO's then.....thought there was a technical term.