Judges Order DOJ to "Clarify" After Obama Health Care Remark [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Judges Order DOJ to "Clarify" After Obama Health Care Remark

Mrs. Tink
04-03-2012, 16:25
Hmmmm. The judiciary doesn't like being poked, it seems.

A three-judge panel for the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals on Tuesday ordered the Justice Department to explain by Thursday whether the administration believes judges have the power to strike down a federal law.

Source (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/04/03/judges-order-justice-department-to-clarify-following-obama-remarks-on-health/#ixzz1r1EPWqtI)

G17Jake
04-03-2012, 16:31
Is there a power struggle going on between the federal branches?

snerd
04-03-2012, 16:33
This ought to be good. Why not ask the agitator directly? Protocol, I guess.

aircarver
04-03-2012, 16:35

Always......

It's not smart to poke judges ........:upeyes:

Mrs. Tink
04-03-2012, 16:38
This ought to be good. Why not ask the agitator directly? Protocol, I guess.

They sort of are. "You guys are in charge of legal matters for Obama. So, it falls on you to tell us what he meant. Hop to it." Or, alternatively, "Get a handle on your boss. He's off the rails and we are not amused."

G17Jake
04-03-2012, 16:47
Obama is all for activist judges, regardless of how high the court. What Obama doesn't like is adherence to the COTUS.

wjv
04-03-2012, 17:21
The last thing you want to tell a judge is that he doesn't have any authority to do something. . .

These guys could start issuing all sorts of Subpoenas. . Like:

- Let's see that birth certificate again
- Let's see everything you got on Fast and Furious
- Let's see all the documents regarding Solyndra
- let's see everything in the Black Panther voting intimidation case
- Let's see every WH e-mail that was sent in the past 3 years

{BLEEP} with judges, and they can {BLEEP} you back 5X harder. . .

I'd bet that even some of the liberal judges on the Court resented his remarks.

Looks like Barry is getting a lesson in US Constitutional law. . .

Restless28
04-03-2012, 17:22
Loving the smack down!

aircarver
04-03-2012, 17:25
The last thing you want to tell a judge is that he doesn't have any authority to do something. . .

...Looks like Barry is getting a lesson in US Constitutional law. . .
:supergrin::supergrin::supergrin::supergrin::supergrin:

LASTRESORT20
04-03-2012, 17:42

{BLEEP} with judges, and they can {BLEEP} you back 5X harder. . .

I'd bet that even some of the liberal judges on the Court resented his remarks.

Looks like Barry is getting a lesson in US Constitutional law. . .

+2 :supergrin::supergrin:

fortyofforty
04-03-2012, 17:46
We see how successful subpoenas issued by Congress are, don't we? I mean, the White House just ignores them or gives half-assed compliance, deciding what it wants to turn over rather than following the demands of the subpoena. I figure the White House would ignore subpoenas no matter from whence they came.

wjv
04-03-2012, 17:50
We see how successful subpoenas issued by Congress are, don't we? I mean, the White House just ignores them or gives half-assed compliance, deciding what it wants to turn over rather than following the demands of the subpoena. I figure the White House would ignore subpoenas no matter from whence they came.

The Federal Circuit is not a court you want to ignore. .

G29Reload
04-03-2012, 17:53

No, just an imbecile running one of them.

Apparently a former Harvard Law student who never heard of Marbury v. Madison.

Who has a big surprise or two coming, one in June, and another in November.

G17Jake
04-03-2012, 17:58

I don't want him nominating any more candidates for the other.

cheapshot
04-03-2012, 18:01

I sure as hell hope so. If not, this country is done. Period.

fortyofforty
04-03-2012, 18:08

Maybe not, but they don't have a police force that can match the DOJ, I'll wager. Holder's Praetorian Guard would never let him get served directly anyway.

Just1More
04-03-2012, 18:22
Paybacks are hell. :wavey:

http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim//2010/01/27/12710_obamaspeech_clip5_480x360.jpg

Naelbis
04-03-2012, 18:35
Last I heard Congress can't issue a subpoena directing ANY LEO to take someone into custody and deliver their person before them...courts can. Courts can also issue Contempt warrants and have pretty much anyone thrown in jail until they comply with court orders. And trust me, when push comes to shove your average LEO will side with the court. Heck, Sheriffs and Constables are technically officers of the court as is the USMS.

Kfall
04-04-2012, 00:49
I particularly liked the part where the justice department is ordered to provide a 3 page single spaced response by Thursday! Talk about slap down!

KentuckyPatriot
04-04-2012, 01:33
I particularly liked the part where the justice department is ordered to provide a 3 page single spaced response by Thursday! Talk about slap down!

Annotated no less...and ordered the attorney to actually include Obama's own words and basically defend or reject them...this is gonna be good!

Popcorn anyone?? :popcorn:

cowboywannabe
04-04-2012, 03:30
this is just fluff and window dressing. the courts will side against the constitution and with obama so theyre trying only now to act like theyre in control.

Bren
04-04-2012, 04:00
Last I heard Congress can't issue a subpoena directing ANY LEO to take someone into custody and deliver their person before them...courts can. Courts can also issue Contempt warrants and have pretty much anyone thrown in jail until they comply with court orders. And trust me, when push comes to shove your average LEO will side with the court. Heck, Sheriffs and Constables are technically officers of the court as is the USMS.

I don't know about the service part by "any LEO", but Congress can definitely issue a subpoena and hold you in contempt and have you thrown in jail. I think Richard Nixon and Bill Clinton could tell you plenty about the subpoena powers of Congress.

Fred Hansen
04-04-2012, 05:05
Marcus Tullius Cicero comes to mind.

fortyofforty
04-04-2012, 07:46
I don't know about the service part by "any LEO", but Congress can definitely issue a subpoena and hold you in contempt and have you thrown in jail. I think Richard Nixon and Bill Clinton could tell you plenty about the subpoena powers of Congress.

Does Congress have a police force that can go and arrest someone? Does the court? In a conflict between the Department of Justice and the court, does anyone believe that DOJ Agents will turn around and arrest their bosses for contempt? Has anyone been thrown in jail for contempt of Congress? I honestly don't know. :dunno:

Brucev
04-04-2012, 09:50
The Federal Circuit is not a court you want to ignore. . The squatter merits nothing but contempt... the same as the federal judiciary.

I particularly liked the part where the justice department is ordered to provide a 3 page single spaced response by Thursday! Talk about slap down! It's about akin to two idiot children slap boxing on the playground. It's entertaining. That's about it.

Annotated no less...and ordered the attorney to actually include Obama's own words and basically defend or reject them...this is gonna be good!

Popcorn anyone?? :popcorn: Just predictable political kabuki by poor actors.

Bren
04-04-2012, 09:51
Does Congress have a police force that can go and arrest someone? Does the court? In a conflict between the Department of Justice and the court, does anyone believe that DOJ Agents will turn around and arrest their bosses for contempt? Has anyone been thrown in jail for contempt of Congress? I honestly don't know. :dunno:

"Yes" to all of your questions, unless I missed one.

The first person arrested for contempt of Congress, as far as I can tell from a quick search, was William P. MacCracken, former Assistant Secretary of Commerce, who was arrrested by Senate Sergeant-at-Arms Chesley E. Jurney in 1934.

W420Hunter
04-04-2012, 09:51
okay someone tell me if I'm wrong but, the under line argument by obama is a lie. the administration did in fact not have a majority. but instead by a series of legal maneuvers, pass the bill with 50 votes not 51.

marchboom
04-04-2012, 09:59

Yep. They have this little thing called contempt of court. They could hold attorneys in those little cells for quite a while. And "most" attorneys know this.

marchboom
04-04-2012, 10:03

Sounds like when a teacher would tell a student to write "I will not be a screw up anymore" 500 times. :supergrin:

Captain Caveman
04-04-2012, 10:12

The first person arrested for contempt of Congress, as far as I can tell from a quick search, was William P. MacCracken, former Assistant Secretary of Commerce, who was arrrested by Senate Sergeant-at-Arms Chesley E. Jurney in 1934.

And the Judiciary has the USMS. How would you like to be the Marshal to serve THAT warrant. Mr. Holder Sir. I have a warrant for your arrest. Please come with me...

cowboy1964
04-04-2012, 10:54
I hope this "homework paper" the judge ordered them to do is made public. Should make for some good laughs.

walt cowan
04-04-2012, 11:17
proof that barry didn't spend a day in law school.

snerd
04-04-2012, 13:33
And the Judiciary has the USMS. How would you like to be the Marshal to serve THAT warrant. Mr. Holder Sir. I have a warrant for your arrest. Please come with me...
I want this guy to serve him. Have a seat over there.............

http://cache.ohinternet.com/images/8/8f/Chris-hansen.gif

janice6
04-04-2012, 13:38

No. Their is a power struggle between Obama and the People.

wjv
04-04-2012, 17:48
AG Holder just announced that the courts DO have the power and authority to overturn laws that they rule as not being Constitutional. .

Looks like the administration really got {BLEEPED} Slapped. . . .

John Rambo
04-04-2012, 19:13
Hmmmm. The judiciary doesn't like being poked, it seems.

Source (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/04/03/judges-order-justice-department-to-clarify-following-obama-remarks-on-health/#ixzz1r1EPWqtI)

"Poked?" He and his pals just tested their luck with overthrowing the authority of the courts. It was nothing less than them getting a feel for how America would react to the Executive branch effectively nullifying the Judicial branch. Luckily, the courts seem to be onto his crap and are making sure he knows that they won't stand for it.

This was a very, very, very serious event. And it could've gone very badly for this country.

Anyone but Obama, 2012. I'll even vote for Romney now. This guy and all of his cronies have got to go.

svtpwnz
04-04-2012, 20:16
"Poked?" He and his pals just tested their luck with overthrowing the authority of the courts. It was nothing less than them getting a feel for how America would react to the Executive branch effectively nullifying the Judicial branch. Luckily, the courts seem to be onto his crap and are making sure he knows that they won't stand for it.

This was a very, very, very serious event. And it could've gone very badly for this country.

Anyone but Obama, 2012. I'll even vote for Romney now. This guy and all of his cronies have got to go.

+1 I swore I would stay home if Romney was the nominee. Now it looks as though I will be sick to my stomach and eating my words in the voting booth this November. This bunch of asshats need to be thrown out on their asses! :steamed:

G17Jake
04-04-2012, 20:24
+1 I swore I would stay home if Romney was the nominee. Now it looks as though I will be sick to my stomach and eating my words in the voting booth this November. This bunch of asshats need to be thrown out on their asses! :steamed:

:agree:

QNman
04-04-2012, 21:19
Obama reiterated his stance on Tuesday, saying the court has traditionally shown "deference" to Congress and that "the burden is on those who would overturn a law like this."

The Narcissist-in-Chief strikes again, it would seem. Does this man's ego know no bounds? Will America wake up in time to avoid seeing a lame duck Obama, when he is "more flexible"?

Fred Hansen
04-04-2012, 22:08
Barack Hussein Obama... a man who consistently proves to be a person who would be out of his depth in even the tiniest puddle of tears.

juggy4711
04-04-2012, 22:33

So if the SCotUS ruled tomorrow that Obamacare was unconstitutional and the President "said" screw you I will implement it anyway, what LEA would back that ruling up? Are you telling me we could expect Terrance Gainer to "arrest" Obama or anyone in his administration?

Sorry but the reality is that Obama would have some speech loaded on the teleprompter to inform us that such an action would be unconstitutional and according to the media any argument to the contrary would be based on racism, which would be accepted by enough folks to make it reality.

Mrs. Tink
04-04-2012, 22:40

Even if so, he did it in a way that was especially condescending and insulting toward the courts. He could have been far more Clintonesque in how he did it and not been so inflammatory. That's what I meant by "poking"--he acted his usual narcissist self and didn't maximize his opportunity. To his cost--and to the benefit of the rest of the country. He can't seem to help himself.

juggy4711
04-04-2012, 22:59
...He could have been far more Clintonesque in how he did it...

Bill Clinton has more political savy in his right pinky nail clippings than Obama does in his entire body; and I am no fan of Bill Clinton.

Ian Moone
04-04-2012, 23:00
LOL ...It seems the great one is backing the wrong government branch. Our duly ELECTED congress has a dismal approval rating by the general public.

I wonder which of the Supremes prodded the 5th Circuit to throw down the gaunlet ...since the SCOTUS is too dignified to get into a public scrap with the POTUS.

Political drama or not ...I think the smack down is priceless.

JFrame
04-05-2012, 05:25
Even if so, he did it in a way that was especially condescending and insulting toward the courts. He could have been far more Clintonesque in how he did it and not been so inflammatory. That's what I meant by "poking"--he acted his usual narcissist self and didn't maximize his opportunity. To his cost--and to the benefit of the rest of the country. He can't seem to help himself.

"Condescending and insulting"? Obama?!

You folks that "cling to your guns and religion" don't know what you're talking about!

;)

snerd
04-05-2012, 12:33
This has to rank near the top in embarrassing moments for our country. It's an embarrassment that we have as president a man so childish that he taunts the highest court in the land. Are we so reduced to comparison to a two-bit, third-world country like Honduras, where the high court had to run off the president that wanted to run a third time, in direct violation of the Constitution of that country?! What an embarrassing, shameful period in our country's great history.

JFrame
04-05-2012, 20:14
AG Holder just announced that the courts DO have the power and authority to overturn laws that they rule as not being Constitutional. .

Looks like the administration really got {BLEEPED} Slapped. . . .

This whole episode really raises, to even greater relevance, the call being made by some to see the writings and transcripts of the "Constitutional scholar" residing in the White House.

What the he11 was Obama studying at Harvard law school???

There is the distinct odor of a con game pervading every aspect of the occupier of the Oval Office...

MoneyMaker
04-06-2012, 05:16
Nothing will come of this,The Country and White House already know about the Birth Certificate and other stuff that has been brought up,,,Its already been examined and nobody cares!!!

fortyofforty
04-06-2012, 08:00
Cs and Ds, with a few Incompletes and Fs thrown in for good measure. You can bet if Odumbo's grades were worthy of bragging, they'd already have been released as proof of his intelligence. Passed through due to affirmative action, most likely. Let the Natsos prove otherwise.

Gundude
04-06-2012, 10:02
So if the SCotUS ruled tomorrow that Obamacare was unconstitutional and the President "said" screw you I will implement it anyway, what LEA would back that ruling up? Are you telling me we could expect Terrance Gainer to "arrest" Obama or anyone in his administration?Obamacare involves all Americans buying insurance or paying a penalty. Obama can't "implement" it by himself , even with the entire force of his administration behind him, because he simply has no way to force the American people to comply with the mandate without the courts being on board.