Training Question for CCW [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Training Question for CCW

Panthera_G27
04-04-2012, 00:32
Hey all, still kinda new to this forum business but I thought I may as well start asking questions relevant to my needs.

I have recently taken my CCW classes and am receiving my permit next Tuesday. I am kind of excited to join the world of CCW and incorporate my gun into my daily life as if it were a part of me. I have been shooting a lot lately but I still feel like I need to be training a particular way to help better my shooting capabilities as well as prepare me for whatever may come my way. I feel like I am pretty well trained in the safety components of my new G27 (i.e. finger placement, holstering correctly ect..) and I can hit any target placed in front of me. Maybe speed and target acquisition?

So I was wondering when you guys/gals go out to the range, what do you practice? And being fairly new to the world of CCW what should I be practicing?

Cheers,
RT

Mas Ayoob
04-04-2012, 07:10
We practice what you practice, plus:

Reaction targets (falling plates, spinners, Texas Star); moving targets; distances from muzzle contact to long range; multiple targets; shooting (and gun manipulation) from awkward cover positions; shooting from downed "wounded defender" positions, etc.

Pick one or two "known quantity" courses, like a qualification used by your local police or CCW instructors (I like the 90-shot IDPA Classifier) and shoot it every now and then. It gives you a benchmark of past performance to help monitor your progress.

Also, shoot some competition. Gives you your daily adrenaline requirement :cool: and accustoms you to running a gun under pressure.

best,
Mas