Possible move to TN [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Possible move to TN

survive1999
04-04-2012, 13:53
I'm originally from MI and considering a move to TN. What special survival related issues would I need to know moving to that either Knoxville or Nashville areas?

Flora/Fauna/Climate

Man made issues? Race Relations?

and I hate to ask but How are people from up north received?

ancient_serpent
04-04-2012, 14:10
Well if you come on down, welcome to Tennessee!
I live in the Nashville area and love it.
As far as survivial related issues, I actually think we're pretty well set. We're not such a big city as to have the crazy crime rates that Memphis, New Orleans or any place like that have.
We have plentiful groundwater, the climate is pretty nice, notas humid in the summer as Mississippi or Louisianna, doesn't get as cold as it does further north.
Nuclear power plants are over 100 miles away from us there. As far as race relations, I've never had a problem. There are poor sections of town, but it's far more of a economic problem than anything to do with race.
Folks from up north are welcome, long as ya'll like shooting and fishing.
Welcome!

quake
04-04-2012, 15:35
Can't speak for Tennessee specifically, but my assumption would be that it's similar to Arkansas. So based on that assumption...

Ticks; at least if TN is like AR in that regard. They suck, both literally & figuratively. Other small nasties like spiders, snakes, etc; seem more prevalent down here than I remember them being up there.

The 'northener stigma' isn't as bad as it used to be; I left Michigan over 30 years ago and it was ludicrous to the point of funny back then.

Tips: Armadillos sometimes carry leprosy; only animal I know of that does.

Goatees are gay, even if you're not.

Do NOT laugh when second cousins marry. (I've gotten in trouble with that one.)

It's not "pop", it's "a coke". Even if it's a Dr. Pepper, it's "a coke".

IE: "You want a coke?"
"Sure."
"What kind?"
"Dr. Pepper" (or mountain dew or whatever).

Another tip: Mountain Dew is like crack for hillbillies. Just accept it.

All That said, second cousins can be as hot as any other female...

:cool:

cowboy1964
04-04-2012, 15:55
TN is on my short list for relocation if I ever do, at least until I retire. hickok45's and tnoutdoors9's videos are great testaments to owning large plots of TN land!

Akita
04-04-2012, 18:36
My wife is from central MI and I am a native east Tennessean. I'd be glad to offer any specific advice via PM if youd like.

BTW, Knoxville is considered the Allergy Capitol of the US if thats an issue for you.

eta: Yankee is more of a state of mind to folks around here. if you act like a liberal ahat, youll get what youd expect as a reception. if you are a decent sort/good neighbor/always there for friends etc/friendly type, youre be welcomed like family.

GoBigOrange
04-04-2012, 19:19
Tennessee is a great place to live. I would definitely choose East TN though. I lived in the Knoxville area for 20 years and hope to move back someday.

I do admit people might be a little uneasy about you being a yankee at first(especially if you move to a very rural town) but unless you're a pompous ass you won't have any trouble making friends. It really is true what they say about southern hospitality.

Don't be surprised when people hold the door for you, let you merge into traffic, and welcome you to the neighborhood. I never noticed how friendly Tennesseans were until I moved to Florida.

If you have any specific questions about the Knoxville area feel free to send me a message.

M1A Shooter
04-04-2012, 21:39
i too live outside nashville a bit. i like middle tn more and more the longer i'm here.

for those of you in the nashville area, if you havent seen it yet, there is a new startup forum called www.middletennesseepreppers.com (http://www.middletennesseepreppers.com) its an offshoot from a Yahoo Group and has several members but is a small local forum and is seperated even further down to counties.

DaneA
04-04-2012, 21:55
I moved from outside of Cincinnati to Chattanooga 2 years ago. The first thing I learned is SLOW DOWN. Up north it is all about getting things done quickly. Here it seems that quickly is defined by hours or days, but everyone is really nice about it. Also manners go a long way.
BTW don't overlook the Chattanooga area as well. It is a growing area with many new companies moving in (Amazon, VW, etc). We really like it here. There isn't anywhere in this town I would be afraid to walk with my family. Of course some of that is relative to the fact I have been in some really bad areas in other parts of the country.

kirgi08
04-05-2012, 00:52
WNC is cool also,we go ta Tenn once a week J-town Erwin ect.Beautiful land.'08.

TangoFoxtrot
04-05-2012, 04:42
Tennessee!!!! Tell Elvis I said hello. :wavey:

frankmako
04-05-2012, 04:54
come on down. we don't have any state taxes. check the area good before you buy your house or rent.

jason10mm
04-05-2012, 08:11
I can second the Nashville area. Some other new england refugees just moved into my neighborhood (from Massachusetts) and they fit in fine (they like to drink :)

There is a BIG army base just north of Nashville and there is the New Madrid fault line a bit farther west so from a S&P/SHTF perspective the area is mildly pink. If that fault goes you will get a front door seat to catastrophe and there is a 100% certainty that Clarkesville will catch a nuke if we ever go big with another superpower. But aside from that the area is nice, the weather seems moderate so far, and it is on a network of highways to get you around.

DRJ1911
04-05-2012, 21:42
You will love E. Tenn. Just be kind and don't expect things to move as fast as they do in MI. and you will learn to love it. We are a gun friendly state and I think you would be welcomed here.
I am in Knoxville so if you need more info pm me.

Doyle

g30sfjeepguy
04-06-2012, 07:17
I'm from southern middle Tennessee and I love it. As far as prepping as stated the fault and fort Campbell are all to really think of as already mentioned.

flw
04-06-2012, 12:25
What are the carry concealed requirements in Tn ?

Also anyone know the same for Kentucky?

Lastly when you get snow down there does most of it mostly melt in a day? (except this current winter, what a odd winter we have had up north. No snow melt for Missippi River, downstream area's.)

flw

dissthis
04-07-2012, 18:28
I have family in Nashville...been visiting there my whole life...its a great town...

Chattanooga is a superb town...just recently visited...I wouldn't mind living just out side Chattanooga on the side of a Mt somewhere....

DaneA
04-07-2012, 20:43
What are the carry concealed requirements in Tn ?

Also anyone know the same for Kentucky?

Lastly when you get snow down there does most of it mostly melt in a day? (except this current winter, what a odd winter we have had up north. No snow melt for Missippi River, downstream area's.)

flw

Tn has a handgun carry permit(HCP). Basically you take a class, pay $125 to the state along with a set of prints and you can carry any way you want.

Snow? Maybe lasts till noon.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

FireForged
04-08-2012, 18:02
TN = pro gun laws, old fashioned values and morals, good cooking, rolling hills and lots of whiskey. LOL on the snow... not a problem

DRJ1911
04-08-2012, 19:31
TN = pro gun laws, old fashioned values and morals, good cooking, rolling hills and lots of whiskey. LOL on the snow... not a problem

What he said. The only coat I used this winter was a lined flannel shirt.:wavey: Come on down you will love it.

P.S. Start practicing saying y'all now:rofl:

Doyle

ca survivor
04-09-2012, 06:56
Tennessee is a great place to live. I would definitely choose East TN though. I lived in the Knoxville area for 20 years and hope to move back someday.

I do admit people might be a little uneasy about you being a yankee at first(especially if you move to a very rural town) but unless you're a pompous ass you won't have any trouble making friends. It really is true what they say about southern hospitality.

Don't be surprised when people hold the door for you, let you merge into traffic, and welcome you to the neighborhood. I never noticed how friendly Tennesseans were until I moved to Florida.

If you have any specific questions about the Knoxville area feel free to send me a message.
the opposite happen to me, never noticed how rude South Florida was till I visited Tennessee, :rofl:we love Tennessee.

eracer
04-09-2012, 07:03
E v e r y t h i n g m o v e s r e a l s l o w.

survive1999
04-09-2012, 23:37
Thanks for the input guys. We'll know more as the interviews develop.

survive1999
04-09-2012, 23:40
T

Snow? Maybe lasts till noon.

As a northerner you come to think of snow as an ally. Think of Napoleon and you'll get the idea that scavengers don't make it to far in the cold.

DustyJacket
04-10-2012, 08:22
What special survival related issues would I need to know moving to that either Knoxville or Nashville areas?

Learn to love grits.

kirgi08
04-10-2012, 09:10
With Maple syrup or honey.'08. :eat:

A6Gator
04-11-2012, 07:39
No state income tax in Tennessee.

If you want to be reminded that the Civil War (War Against Northern Aggression) ended just yesterday, you'll like Memphis...

HexHead
04-11-2012, 07:54
Nashville, largely thanks to Vandy, has far too many damn liberals for my taste. Property taxes are about to go up because our idiot Mayor will give tax breaks to companies left and right and the homeowners will have to make up the difference. He also only wants to spend money downtown to support the honky tonk bars there. While we have a Republican controlled State government, the Governor, Speaker and Lt. Governor are all RINOs. All three are currently trying to block employees being able to leave guns in cars while at work. Just a "gun buster" symbol is considered proper posting and carrying past one is a criminal offense. Don't move to East Nashville unless you want to live in da hood or amongst hipsters. Other than all that, TN is a pretty nice place to live.

HexHead
04-11-2012, 07:59
No state income tax in Tennessee.

Not entirely true. There is the Hall tax on investment income from out of state investments. There is also a professional privilege tax levied on certain lines of work. But for the average working guy, no state income tax.

DustyJacket
04-11-2012, 09:28
That is why my FIL lives there.

G29Reload
04-11-2012, 12:08

And, KRYSTAL!

http://krystal.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/DoubleCheese11.jpg