Bug-Out-DVD. Say What? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Bug-Out-DVD. Say What?

Bolster
04-04-2012, 15:01
Someone, can't remember who, suggested making a Bug Out CD or DVD to put with your kit if you have to leave in a hurry. One of those things you smack yourself and say, "Why didn't I think of that?" So making mine now.

Mountain10 pointed out, in his excellent bug-out-due-to-fire thread, that just because you have to bug out doesn't mean the world gives you vacation days. You still need to work, to connect, to make money, to organize your life, make phone calls & send emails...bugging out is not a camping trip. It is normal life under much more difficult conditions. Everything you do daily now, you'll have to do with difficulty, then. So why omit the computer preparations?

Items included:

Address book
Email addresses
Chapters I've written
Prescriptions
Favorite family photos
Genealogy files/photos
Ham license
Home inventory
Documents I've written for my daughter (for later in her life)
Daughter's baby book (photographed)
Classwork from when a student
Preparedness folder (getting thick!)
Travel documents
Wallet contents (photos)
Vitae & Bio
A few important work files.

All sensitive items stuffed and password protected.

What else?

quake
04-04-2012, 15:22
Scans of documents & paperwork such as birth certificates, Blue Cross Cards, etc.

Under 'home inventory', a video walk-thru of the house maybe?

NecoDude
04-04-2012, 16:17
Under 'home inventory', a video walk-thru of the house maybe?

Good idea, but I'd include the whole property if possible, including garage, storage sheds, etc...

arclight610
04-04-2012, 16:19
SD Card or thumb drive.

Akita
04-04-2012, 18:41
I keep all of mine on thumb drives and backups of all my data on portable hard drives at home and with family over 100 miles away. All papers, certificates, certifications, etc are included. You can take pics of them if you dont have a scanner. Remember to do both sides.

Bushflyr
04-04-2012, 21:21
Definitely USB or MicroSD. CDs and DVD's are rapidly going the way of the:

http://autoblogger.co.cc/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/yconst/images/5.25-inch_floppy_disk.jpg

argy1182
04-05-2012, 00:49
I'll just grab my laptop or tablet. They've got everything on there.

jason10mm
04-05-2012, 08:22
Make a CD as well. If the military moves in and you need to use their stuff to access your electronic database, well, we ain't using USB. We are chilling like it's 1995! But yeah, for interfacing with the rest of the planet a USB with a boot drive would be ideal.

This really should be an adjunct to digitizing and cloud storing your important documents. HARD COPY is king in a SHTF scenario. I keep all my important stuff in one of thost little sentry fire-proof boxes. It is the ONE THING we grab. It has the marriage license, my medical paperwork, birth certificates, passports, and a bunch of cash. Adding a photo DVD would be nice though, now that I think of it. Could just put in a portable hard drive so I wouldn't even lose my music :)

My understanding is that officials may require you to "prove" you live in a house or in the area before letting you in. So aside from a drivers license (if you keep it up to date) a copy of the mortgage or rental contract will be useful.

DrSticky
04-05-2012, 16:25
At an old job, my company would bug me out in certain emergencies. They would also bug out my family, so that myself and my team could rebuild the company's infrastructure without worry, if need be. Each member had to create lists of what would be needed to work away from home. Some folks on the team needed ways to make copies and print to do their jobs, so we have to come up with a way for them to do that. After we filter out what job tasks are critical, they are then prioritized for setup, the more critical the sooner. These needs and the subsequent operation procedures formed what are called Business Continuity Plans and Disaster Recovery Plans. It is a similar process to what is discussed here, but the person we are trying to save is a company. In some ways it is harder, because Shelter, Water, Food is a well known prioritization hierarchy.

For our team, we performed as such. Start with the things that were around your desk and work area, and then work on the things you accessed the most on the company network(It may be partially down too). Also assume that you may have to try and work from a computer that is not yours. Depending on your situation, you have to make some assumptions, for instance we require power and internet access.

My job is different now, but here are some of the things I keep ready to help me do my job on the move:
-Rocketfish Universal Laptop charger(It has adapters for different laptops and can plug into 110V or 12VDC)
-USB charging cables for all my devices
-12VDC and 110VAC USB chargers
-Wireless Mouse
-headphones
-hands free device (It helps with strain and allows the phone to be used without having to unplug it)
-Kindle (with tons of PDFs on it- but nothing that should be secured)
-Paper and Pen
-Documentation (How to do things, some print some on kindle)
-Connection information (IPs, servernames, etc.)
-Phone Numbers (People on your team and people you interact with)
-Hard Drive with the following items
(Some info is encrypted and made to look like other files, in case lost)
=Software apps you may need to install (including patches)
=Family Pics
=Scanned Docs
=Another copy of docs
=Configuration information

Hopefully that helps.

DrSticky
04-05-2012, 16:33
Oh yeah. I also compartmentalize all of the work-only related gear, so that it can be dumped (in a safe place of course) if I decide working isn't a good idea.