I am a little perplexed about my favorite local gun shop [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I am a little perplexed about my favorite local gun shop

KiloBravo
04-06-2012, 05:10
This was the shop I havr purchased a lot of accessories and guns at over the years, including my very first pistol a long time back.

He is still a wonderful business man and an all around good dude. But lately, his prices seem to have increased by quite a bit. He used to be the best, or within a few dollars of the best price.

A prime example was earlier this week when I was looking for the new Ruger SP101 with a 4 inch barrel. I want it as a woods backup gun. He told me he could order one, but his price seemed high. I called my second very local favorite shop. They had one in the case for $85 less! I hussled over there and made a payment immediately to stick it back on lawaway.

I have noticed thia the last few times I have wanted to buy a gun from the first guy. I even gave him the chance to compete by telling him I found it for less somewhere else. He simply said no discounts on handguns. I simply bought somewhere else. He was also $50 higher on the m&p 15-22 I bought two weeks ago.

Bren
04-06-2012, 05:15
They don't require an economics degree to run a gun shop or a pawn shop, so many of them have never learned that part about how raising your prices makes you less money instead of more. Many gun dealers have found out that running a store is a good business for people who know a lot about running stores, not for people who know a lot about guns.

Decguns
04-06-2012, 05:40
Just FYI from an FFL... Ruger won't sell guns to a wholesaler that sells S&W. S&W won't sell guns to a wholesaler that sells Ruger. If a dealer wants discount prices on Ruger or S&W firearms, they have to choose one. You can't be a stocking dealer for both.

Most dealers don't move enough guns to be a stocking dealer for either company, so they end up paying premium prices for Ruger & S&W from wholesalers... who also have to pay premium price because they want to stock both brands too. RSR and Davidson's being prime examples of wholesalers caught in the middle of this S&W and Ruger pissing match.

GSSF17
04-06-2012, 06:35
Just FYI from an FFL... Ruger won't sell guns to a wholesaler that sells S&W. ......... RSR and Davidson's being prime examples of wholesalers caught in the middle of this S&W and Ruger pissing match.

Nailed it. That, and I am hearing "election scare" blues again.....I simply do not understand. I mean- I do, but I don't. :dunno:

Bren
04-06-2012, 08:20
Just FYI from an FFL... Ruger won't sell guns to a wholesaler that sells S&W. S&W won't sell guns to a wholesaler that sells Ruger. If a dealer wants discount prices on Ruger or S&W firearms, they have to choose one. You can't be a stocking dealer for both.

Most dealers don't move enough guns to be a stocking dealer for either company, so they end up paying premium prices for Ruger & S&W from wholesalers... who also have to pay premium price because they want to stock both brands too. RSR and Davidson's being prime examples of wholesalers caught in the middle of this S&W and Ruger pissing match.

Bud's is a stocking dealer for both and, if Bud is still a wholesaler, like he used to be, a wholesale distributor for both.

KiloBravo
04-06-2012, 08:56
They don't require an economics degree to run a gun shop or a pawn shop, so many of them have never learned that part about how raising your prices makes you less money instead of more. Many gun dealers have found out that running a store is a good business for people who know a lot about running stores, not for people who know a lot about guns.

You nailed this Bren. My degree happens to be in Business Marketing & Management. However, I would never fool myself into thinking that I am capable of running a successful business. I imagine I probably could, but it is not something I want to do.

If I did, I would also run the lower prices and just sell more of something, than try to sell fewer items at a much higher price.

High Altitude
04-06-2012, 09:45
Selling everyday firearms is a volume business. I see it all the time at the local gunshow.

There are a few dealers who sell at bottom rate prices. They are literally selling a gun every 5-10 minutes. Everyone knows that if you want to buy, you go to these few dealers etc...

The next table over is a guy who has much higher prices and brings back his inventory show after show after show.

There is even a guy there selling SKSs for $700-900 each. I have seen him bring back these same SKSs for MONTHS.

He could of sold those rifles at the going rate a long time ago, reinvested that money in more firearms, resold, rebought, resold, rebought, resold etc............ Instead they just sit there making him no money.