NYT: Chevy Volt Pays For Itself... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : NYT: Chevy Volt Pays For Itself...

evlbruce
04-06-2012, 08:06
...in 27 years!Story ('http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/05/business/energy-environment/for-hybrid-and-electric-cars-to-pay-off-owners-must-wait.html?_r=1')

Looking at the chart it's not much better for most hybrids either.

What is interesting is that there aren't more of the new super diesels on the list (the only one being the Jetta TDI, which pays for itself in a little over a year).

robertoh
04-06-2012, 08:14
Yeh.and we'll be paying for Obama for generations.

JFrame
04-06-2012, 08:18
Gas would have to approach $8 a gallon before many of the cars could be expected to pay off in the six years an average person owns a car.

Interestingly, that's the same amount as Energy secretary Chu said he would like to see the price of U.S. gas achieve...

There's a strange synchronicity to this whole hybrid car thing, vis-a-vis the politics of "green" technology... :whistling:

evlbruce
04-06-2012, 08:43
Interestingly, that's the same amount as Energy secretary Chu said he would like to see the price of U.S. gas achieve...

There's a strange synchronicity to this whole hybrid car thing, vis-a-vis the politics of "green" technology... :whistling:

Coincidence? Probably not.

The funny thing is that the free market has delivered 50+ mpg petrol cars that still make more sense economically than the favored green technology of the moment.

JFrame
04-06-2012, 08:54
Coincidence? Probably not.

The funny thing is that the free market has delivered 50+ mpg petrol cars that still make more sense economically than the favored green technology of the moment.

Yup -- market forces, and the companies responding to them, have come up with perfectly workable solutions, while statists flounder and resort to throwing more of our dollars at the problem.

stsai465
04-06-2012, 09:47
Don't forget; any money you save from gas, you'll lose when it's time to replace those batteries, that will inevitably wear out like all batteries do (assuming they don't catch fire and burn out early).

JFrame
04-06-2012, 10:58
Don't forget; any money you save from gas, you'll lose when it's time to replace those batteries, that will inevitably wear out like all batteries do (assuming they don't catch fire and burn out early).

Yep -- and the "non-green" environmental burden of removing those batteries from circulation....

Eco-nuts are sort of like this era's version of alchemists, trying to find ways of turning base metal into gold...

Wake_jumper
04-06-2012, 11:25
I wish my car would pay for itself.

JBnTX
04-06-2012, 11:38
I wouldn't be caught dead in one of those tin cans.

They can have my SUV (Tahoe) when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

:steamed:

Lethaltxn
04-06-2012, 12:01
One of the many reasons I'll never own a hybrid.

Ruble Noon
04-06-2012, 15:35

Chevy’s Volt battery costs about $8,000 now, down from $12,000 or more a few years ago

http://www.bendbulletin.com/article/20110410/NEWS0107/104100318/

Kingarthurhk
04-06-2012, 17:28
Ah, yes, the thing that Democrat Congress voted billions of tax payer money into that Obama posed with. The car that had to be recalled because thay pretty much unilaterally ignite on fire. That's okay. Paul Ryan with have federal workers make up for the shortfall.

Cavalry Doc
04-06-2012, 20:30
Hmmmmm. 44 +27 = 71.

nnnnnnnnope. Like the concept. The technology needs to mature a little. I'm willing to let the tree huggers and hippies absorb the early adoption costs.

HarleyGuy
04-06-2012, 21:30
It's quite possible that truly electric/battery vehicles may become practical. However, for now they have to be sold to folks who drive short distances, mostly in urban areas and to those who aren't really concerned about the operating cost of the vehicle as much as they are about making a statement about protecting and preserving or enviornment.

The main problem with this scenario?
Currently, the electricity that is used to "recharge" the batteries in these cars, is coal produced, and then gasoline of course comes from.....oil.

Lethaltxn
04-06-2012, 21:33
It's quite possible that truly electric/battery vehicles may become practical. However, for now they have to be sold to folks who drive short distances, mostly in urban areas and to those who aren't really concerned about the operating cost of the vehicle as much as they are about making a statement about protecting and preserving or enviornment.

The main problem with this scenario?
Currently, the electricity that is used to "recharge" the batteries in these cars, is coal produced, and then gasoline of course comes from.....oil.

Shhh... Don't spoil the surprise!

Blaster
04-06-2012, 21:34

Exactly! I was going to make the same point.

HarleyGuy
04-06-2012, 21:52
Shhh... Don't spoil the surprise!

Just between you and me, wait until the poiticians figure out that they have vehicles driving on their roads and NOT paying road taxes (from the sale of gasoline).:wow:

I can see it now, taxes collected electronically from the cars GPS system!

kirgi08
04-06-2012, 22:51
We use toyotas at work,they are generating $1k a week in revenue.'08.

JBnTX
04-06-2012, 23:29
Somebody explain to me how a car, any car, pays for itself.

I've owned a lot of automobiles and I've never had one save me enough money that it offset the cost of it.

snerd
04-06-2012, 23:36
...... I'm willing to let the tree huggers and hippies absorb the early adoption costs.
Went to get my oil changed at the Nissan shop. I told the shop manager to go with some premium 15k mile oil, Mobile 1 or similar. He said very few come in for that. I said I was surprised, that the greenies should be all over that as it saves oil and the environment. He said the greenies and tree huggers don't want to spend the extra $20-$30 bucks for it! So I don't know who the hell is buying those things.

kirgi08
04-06-2012, 23:56

I've owned a lot of automobiles and I've never had one save me enough money that it offset the cost of it.

We do it everyday.'08. :cool:

Skyhook
04-07-2012, 05:21

Yup, and replacement time can be much shorter than anticipated. http://www.claimsjournal.com/news/national/2012/03/28/203777.htm

But, not to worry, folks, Obama is bailing this company out also, is he not??:upeyes:

aircarver
04-07-2012, 06:21
..... Like the concept. The technology needs to mature a little....

Lessee...

Since the Baker Electric, they've had over a hundred years... I'd call progress 'slow' ....

Bassman1985
04-07-2012, 08:15
...in 27 years!Story ('http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/05/business/energy-environment/for-hybrid-and-electric-cars-to-pay-off-owners-must-wait.html?_r=1')

Looking at the chart it's not much better for most hybrids either.

What is interesting is that there aren't more of the new super diesels on the list (the only one being the Jetta TDI, which pays for itself in a little over a year).

Another reason I love my Jetta. It's one of the best-kept secrets in the auto industry. And the basic engine concept has been around for over 100 years.

Everybody is running around screaming about hybrids and battery-electrics, when my diesel is not only MUCH cheaper to buy and run, it'll also run rings around their little Priuses and Volts. Also, mine is built like a tank and doesn't have any issues with catching fire or exploding after it's crashed, unlike the Electric Edsel. It's the economy car for those who "get it." I've averaged about 41 mpg overall since I bought it last year. And I certainly don't drive around like grandpa in this thing. On road trips I get 47-50 mpg on the highway the speed limit. I think the real reason most people buy a Prius instead is because they want a car that looks so distinctive that people notice that they're being "green" with their car choice. With the VW, the only thing that says "green car" is the tiny little TDI badge on the trunk, and most don't know what it means.

Bassman1985
04-07-2012, 08:31

I think they are referring to the added sticker price of a certain kind of car with a hybrid/electric/diesel powertrain vs. a similar-sized car with the same trim level with a conventional gas powertrain. Like a Camry vs. a Camry Hybrid, for example. The rise in sticker price and service costs, vs. the gains in fuel mileage. As in, you would have to drive a Volt for 27 years in order for the money you save on gas to offset the extra 20 grand or so you paid for it vs. a Cruze with the same trim level, for example. They have been doing studies like this for a while now, ever since the Prius became popular.

It's kinda the same concept as a cost/benefit analysis on a reloading press.

stevelyn
04-07-2012, 14:18
It only pays off when it catches fire and you collect the insurance.