Slime, is it suitable for slow leaks? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Slime, is it suitable for slow leaks?

Ronaldo
04-07-2012, 08:48
I have a couple of tires on my truck that lose air slowly. I have to air them up every two or three weeks. The air isn't coming out of the schrader valve and the stems appear tight. No visible punctures in either tire.

My suspicions are that the rim may be leaking but I don't know of a way to prove this. It will cost a few pesos to apply a dose of slime to the tires but I am tempted to do this before 'tubing' the tires.

Any suggestions or further ideas? Don't have the moolah to replace two tires that are in otherwise excellent condition.

Ronaldo

cyrsequipment
04-07-2012, 08:59
If it is the rim, slime won't help much, but if it is the tire, it just might.

ozark-tracker
04-07-2012, 09:01
to check for leaks around the rim, take it off the truck, lay it down and put soapy water around the rim, it'll bubble if it's leaking, as for the slime, I've slimed 4 wheelers for years, really slow leaks from thorns are a problem here, it'll stop the leak, a slow leak may take a little longer, not much air going out and the slime has to go into the hole to plug it. but it will stop it if you keep after it. If you can find where it's leaking it might help, take the wheel off and roll it and lean it on it's side so the slime inside can get to the leaking spot. sometimes it takes a long time to get to the leak just driving it.