What do you think Tornado shelter? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What do you think Tornado shelter?

dcc12
04-07-2012, 21:52
With the recent events in Dallas, I have been thinking about a Tornado shelter. Live out of town have been looking at a prefab shelter for about $7,000; but found a used bulk propane tank (30,000 gal) for $1,200 that has been condemned. It has a very small amt of damage to one side, so it will not hold gas but, looks great for a shelter. Thinking about getting it and taking on a welding project.

Javelin
04-07-2012, 21:53
Depends if you like riding in propane tanks during a tornado I guess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTjR91JC850

:dunno:

PaleRider505
04-07-2012, 22:00
I recently recieved a FEMA grant to have a shelter installed. Wish I would have worked towards getting one long ago. The threat of a tornado wears me out. :nailbiting:

Paul53
04-07-2012, 22:37
On the news in the last week they've shown tornados on Mars and on the surface of the Sun. Heck, I didn't even know they had trailer parks there!

G22Dude
04-07-2012, 22:39
I recently recieved a FEMA grant to have a shelter installed. Wish I would have worked towards getting one long ago. The threat of a tornado wears me out. :nailbiting:

My inlaws have a nice shelter dug into their garage, it holds 8 and looks like the place you want to be during an event. I wish i owned the place we currently live in because I would install the same setup

cyrsequipment
04-08-2012, 07:59
I would go with the prefab, if it was a choice between the two. Just to be sure there wasn't additional damage that would compromise the tank (assuming you were going to bury it, if you are not going to bury it then it won't do much good no matter how strong it is).
Either way, good luck. There have been tornados in my state but they are VERY few and far between. I'll take blizzards any day.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

T-Rod45
04-08-2012, 08:07
I saw a guy somewhere who took a 40' steel shipping container and had it anchored to a concrete slab... Think he might have buried it on 4 sides too... Fully furnished inside, Sheetrock etc. Didn't look like it was goin anywhere.

Ruble Noon
04-08-2012, 08:56
With the recent events in Dallas, I have been thinking about a Tornado shelter. Live out of town have been looking at a prefab shelter for about $7,000; but found a used bulk propane tank (30,000 gal) for $1,200 that has been condemned. It has a very small amt of damage to one side, so it will not hold gas but, looks great for a shelter. Thinking about getting it and taking on a welding project.

Sounds explosive.

bdcochran
04-08-2012, 09:45
You can consider adding fins and a periscope and you will have a submarine.

On a serious note - and this applies to building anything, using surplus cargo containers and saving a buck:

1. know your building codes;
2. know your building materials;
3. have the experience;
4. value your time;
5. don't start a project when you have a pile of undone projects.

The guy next door reroofed his house himself. Took him only one full year. Saved absolutely nothing. Did not replace the termite infested headers or the split spreaders. His effort was worthless. He has a van with 1985 tags and a car with 1992 tags in the driveway. Rusted. No electrical. Someday he will restore them.

Ok. Want to go "cheap" and not be in violation of local building codes, have the specs? Simply get the US Government bombshelter plans and hire a licensed contractor who will get the local building permit.:wavey:

Javelin
04-08-2012, 13:18
Here you go OP.

$3K 2 person interior storm shelter. $3,800 for 3-person. Appears to handle F5 rating and can fit in a large closet or bolt it in your garage.

http://www.texasshelters.com/mite.html

I'm not really sure of what your requirements are but there are many of these companies out there. Basically you need steel framed, 1/4" steel plating with reinforced steel beams no more than 4-6" apart? Appears they have drill taps every 5" to the floor to hold it down with reinforced welded hinges.

Looks like that's what they did with their design anyway. I'm not an expert or anything but I guess you could build yourself but I would just as soon buy one complete.

:wavey:

dcc12
04-08-2012, 17:26
I am planning on adding on an access hatch and putting it about 10ft underground. I like it because it is much larger than the prefab.

G29Reload
04-08-2012, 17:34
Depends if you like riding in propane tanks during a tornado I guess.

I'm sure he's gonna bury it.:upeyes:

dcc12
04-08-2012, 19:19
It's 36ft long and 11ft tall. Have an acquaintance with large excavator planning on burying it 10ft.

TangoFoxtrot
04-10-2012, 04:56
Javelin that shelter looks like a wide steel coffin! :rofl: