155 swc loads with longshot [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 155 swc loads with longshot

ryangt
04-08-2012, 11:31
I'm about to load up some 155 swc loads. I use longshot with some of my other loads, so I figured I would try it with lead. But there is no info on it!

I read that you can use 10% less powder than plated rn bullets. Would that work to try and find a load? Or should I just find a different powder for shooting lead? Longshot is pretty clean running it hot.

I found a plated load of 12.4gr, which seemed hot. That would put me at 11.16gr. That sound right? Thats as high as my JHP load that showed no pressure signs, but was fairly hot.

_The_Shadow
04-08-2012, 16:03
I have used my cast with the same as Jacketed with Blue Dot, but driving any cast bullets too fast can leave streaks of lead, it boils down to bore fit ( too small and the lube gets blown out and the bullet doesn't grab rifling) and quality and amount of lube to provide positive protection. I have three types of cast bullets Lyman 175 gr TCBB and the 156gr Devastator HP's and RCBS 175 TC that has a slight SWC.

10mm velocities are hard on cast bullets, this is why you don't see much manufactures' data using podwers. I just looked over the Lyman data for cast bullets and no LongShot Data was printed.
http://forums.handloads.com/uploads/Ominivision1/2012-03-19_114806_Lyman_401638_10mm48th-Edition-Lyman.jpeg

I start to see some streaking with some of mine @ 1400 fps. Therefore I keep these down around 1150-1250 fps, plenty accurate and clean.

Good luck!

ryangt
04-08-2012, 16:23
Ok thanks man. Ill check the size of the bullet when I get home and judge it off that. So tighter it is in the bore the better? If its loose back off on velocities? I wanted something cheap to shoot with similar recoil as my carry load.

_The_Shadow
04-08-2012, 17:56
BY the way, I was shooting the 10.4 grain loads of Blue Dot since my first day in 1990 before that data was printed by any one and before I had a Chrony. Then the manuals started showing data for the 10mm and the load I was using was shown, Go Figure! :)

Any Cal.
04-08-2012, 21:56
Ok thanks man. Ill check the size of the bullet when I get home and judge it off that. So tighter it is in the bore the better? If its loose back off on velocities? I wanted something cheap to shoot with similar recoil as my carry load.

The bullets won't be loose in the bore unless something is way out of spec. Just load them up and shoot them and see what you get. If they lead, you can try pushing them faster or slower, and if nothing helps, finish off the box and then buy something else.

Sizing and lubes only matter if you have a way to change them, if you don't, just buy different bullets.