An atheists take on Easter service [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : An atheists take on Easter service

ArtificialGrape
04-08-2012, 22:39
Today, at the request of some family members who are aware that I'm an atheist, I attended Easter services with them -- I'm somewhat of a Christmas and Easter atheist :cool:

The service was late morning and the 3rd service of the day at a non-denominational church. If I were to guess, and I am, it seats 500-600 people, and was only slightly over 1/2 full for this service.

The service started with a few loud, modern hymns -- 2 guitars, bass guitar, drummer, 2nd percussionist and vocalist, then a few words from the pastor and greeting one another. Then the pastor shared the story of a truck that he was once restoring, but got busy after his first child was born, so he gave up on it and got rid of the truck to a friend. A few years later he visited the truck and saw what a great job he had done on restoring it. The message was that God never gives up on trying to restore us.

Next was communion. The pastor welcomed anybody who believes in Jesus to partake of communion -- no exclusions for non-members, or those currently in sin as seen in some recent threads here. I elected not to partake even though I was a bit hungry. The wafers were tiny and it just would have seemed in poor form to munch on a whole handful of the Body of Christ <--- easy there... just a joke.

The sermon was based on Matthew 22:34-46
34 Hearing that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, the Pharisees got together. 35 One of them, an expert in the law, tested him with this question: 36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”

37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

41 While the Pharisees were gathered together, Jesus asked them, 42 “What do you think about the Messiah? Whose son is he?”

“The son of David,” they replied.

43 He said to them, “How is it then that David, speaking by the Spirit, calls him ‘Lord’? For he says,

44 “‘The Lord said to my Lord:
“Sit at my right hand
until I put your enemies
under your feet.”’

45 If then David calls him ‘Lord,’ how can he be his son?” 46 No one could say a word in reply, and from that day on no one dared to ask him any more questions.
Perhaps that "Love thy neighbor" piece has since been lifted, since we often see that one ignored here.

Anyway, the presentation and service was engaging enough, the most disturbing part of the entire service was the announcements. The pastor announced that in a few weeks a speaker from Answers in Genesis was going to be presenting a 2 day seminar with the following topics:
Creation vs. Evolution: Why It Matters
Dinosaurs: Have You Been Brainwashed?
Noah's Flood: Washing Away Millions of Years
Origin of Species: Was Darwin Right?
Ape-men: The Grand Illusion
So the question of why do I participate on a Religious Issues forum is right in my face -- the ridiculous AiG group is out in full force undermining science with their ridiculous agenda. I have a morbid sick interest in it, but I don't really think that I could sit through that.

-ArtificialGrape

Animal Mother
04-08-2012, 22:54
The next question is, are you going to be going to the seminar? I've been to a couple and they're almost surreal.

ArtificialGrape
04-08-2012, 23:13
The next question is, are you going to be going to the seminar? I've been to a couple and they're almost surreal.
I don't think I could bring myself to it, and my wife would think that I've lost my mind -- surprisingly she does not think that already. I can imagine it feeling like the Twilight Zone.

-ArtificialGrape

Lone Wolf8634
04-08-2012, 23:22
I don't think I could bring myself to it, and my wife would think that I've lost my mind -- surprisingly she does not think that already. I can imagine it feeling like the Twilight Zone.

-ArtificialGrape

But think of the entertainment value.:supergrin:

Of course, any one of those seminars may cause bleeding ulcers :whistling:

Animal Mother
04-09-2012, 01:37
But think of the entertainment value.:supergrin:It really isn't that entertaining. First, the breadth of the absurdity quickly exceeds anything a thinking person should be forced to endure. Watching blatantly false like, "There's no evidence for evolution" stated in a folksy, we're all pals manner makes it somehow even less believable than seeing it in print. Secondly, no discord or dissent was allowed. All questions had to be submitted in writing and any that didn't presume the conditions already set by the speaker mysteriously disappeared and were never addressed.

Rabbit994
04-09-2012, 07:59
I've talked to Answers in Genesis guys. AnimalMother is right, it's not entertaining in the least. Skip the presentation, your mind will thank you later.

cowboywannabe
04-09-2012, 08:02
there are times when religion is closer to science fiction than science.

Woofie
04-09-2012, 08:14
there are times when religion is closer to science fiction than science.

Nah. Science fiction is honest about being fiction.

Lone Wolf8634
04-09-2012, 08:26
It really isn't that entertaining. First, the breadth of the absurdity quickly exceeds anything a thinking person should be forced to endure. Watching blatantly false like, "There's no evidence for evolution" stated in a folksy, we're all pals manner makes it somehow even less believable than seeing it in print. Secondly, no discord or dissent was allowed. All questions had to be submitted in writing and any that didn't presume the conditions already set by the speaker mysteriously disappeared and were never addressed.

Ah well. I spose your right. I've never been to one so I dunno if I would get kicked out for uncontrollable laughter or hauled out on a gurney when I had a seizure.

Roering
04-09-2012, 10:38
AG,

I think you should go to one of those. If not for the comedy factor then for the salient points you would bring up.

ArtificialGrape
04-09-2012, 12:26
AG,

I think you should go to one of those. If not for the comedy factor then for the salient points you would bring up.

Based on Animal Mother's experience it sounds like they keep interaction to a minimum and only answer pre-screened questions submitted on paper, and do not allow the audience to pose questions directly which is not surprising.

-ArtificialGrape

Brucev
04-09-2012, 14:04
Re: OP. Reminiscent of a blind deaf man complaining that he go nothing out of a concert.

Gunhaver
04-15-2012, 10:22
I find the most comforting part was when the church was only half full on Easter services. Rock on! The dinosaurs are slowly dying out.

You should attend the seminar and demand equal time to present your alternative view. :rofl:

steveksux
04-15-2012, 10:44
Re: OP. Reminiscent of a blind deaf man complaining that he go nothing out of a concert.

There's enough evidence of a concert even a blind deaf man in attendance could prove it exists easily.

Blind deaf people wouldn't end up in a broom closet and believe there was actually a concert going on in there either.

Randy

Paul7
04-15-2012, 15:43

-ArtificialGrape

What difference does it make to you what someone else thinks about dinosaurs?

Paul7
04-15-2012, 15:48
I find the most comforting part was when the church was only half full on Easter services. Rock on! The dinosaurs are slowly dying out.

It was the third service of the day at that church, and the world is a whole lot bigger than the dying West. There has never been a time in history when more people are coming to faith in Christ than today. In South Korea, for instance, Christians are the largest religious group. China is one of the largest Christian nations in the world.

Gunhaver
04-15-2012, 17:06
It was the third service of the day at that church, and the world is a whole lot bigger than the dying West. There has never been a time in history when more people are coming to faith in Christ than today. In South Korea, for instance, Christians are the largest religious group. China is one of the largest Christian nations in the world.

As soon as Chinese and Koreans can vote in the U.S. that will become relevant. Maybe a dark age or two will help keep them at bay.

Animal Mother
04-15-2012, 18:10
What difference does it make to you what someone else thinks about dinosaurs?Hardly the point, and it's very important what people try to enforce on scientific investigation based on their baseless religious assertions.

Tilley
04-15-2012, 19:01
It really isn't that entertaining. First, the breadth of the absurdity quickly exceeds anything a thinking person should be forced to endure. Watching blatantly false like, "There's no evidence for evolution" stated in a folksy, we're all pals manner makes it somehow even less believable than seeing it in print. Secondly, no discord or dissent was allowed. All questions had to be submitted in writing and any that didn't presume the conditions already set by the speaker mysteriously disappeared and were never addressed.

Does it suck being the smartest guy in the room?

Gunhaver
04-15-2012, 19:28
Does it suck being the smartest guy in the room?

Not as much as it sucks to have to shut down all discord because you're just that wrong.

Do you feel like you do a sufficient job of countering all arguments made against you here or do you maybe think you've left some lose ends? We debate for a reason. A clear winner usually arises if you know how to spot him.

Animal Mother
04-15-2012, 21:31
Does it suck being the smartest guy in the room? It sucks to see intellect ignored in favor of blind adherence to dogma or misapplied to trying to prove something based on an erroneous presupposition.

Tilley
04-15-2012, 22:12
It sucks to see intellect ignored in favor of blind adherence to dogma or misapplied to trying to prove something based on an erroneous presupposition.

I can honestly tell you I have no adherence to any religion. If Man has a hand in it, then there is going to be problems. I follow no dogma.

Jesus is my Lord.

Simple.

Animal Mother
04-15-2012, 22:48
I can honestly tell you I have no adherence to any religion. It sure sounds like you do from your posts:You are not my brother...you are not a Christian. Maybe the problem is that you don't know what you believe.

Kingarthurhk
04-16-2012, 07:39
I would encourage AG to go. Perhaps something postive can be gained.

Geko45
04-16-2012, 07:50
I follow no dogma.

Jesus is my Lord.

Simple.

The biblical jesus is a construct of man.

Man creates religion and dogma.

Er go, you believe in religion and dogma.

Your attempt to not adhere to any particular denomination or sect does not obviate the fact that you are still adherring to a much older set of dogma. "jesus is my lord" it simply the most fundamental dogma in the religion of christianity.