good day of break-in [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : good day of break-in

mike56
04-09-2012, 08:11
Just picked up a new kimber stainless target, and got it out today with my reloads. 155gr lasercast round nose, over 7gr of unique and 170swc lasercast over 7.9 of aa5.
Both were very accurate at 25yds. No issues with the gun or mags. A little fine tuning of the sight was all.
The 170's were pitching brass pretty far behind me. Is a change of recoil spring in order? Just have the stock 18.5 in it now.

Just under 250 rounds total. Really impressed and will load up some more throughout the week.

_The_Shadow
04-09-2012, 08:49
Mike56, sounds like the Kimber is running good. It doesn't hurt to obtain a few recoil springs to see how they work out, some have run 24 lb springs with the higher impulse ammo. The 1911 styles work a little differently than than the S&W's or Glocks and I'm using 22 lb spring in the S&W and 21 lb in the Glock. I have stronger power springs but the 24 lb for the S&W and the 23 lb for the Glock are too strong for defensive purposes although they work for taming the high impulse ammo.

Just understand the extra power springs make it harder to rack the slide, not sure about the 1911 styles if you would need to cut the springs for different models so you'll have to do some research. Check out the Wolff Gun Springs website to avalibility and uses.

Best regards!

Jitterbug
04-10-2012, 07:43
One issue you can have by increasing the recoil spring weight on a 1911 is the slide will outrun the magazine, causing jams, it's called a bolt over base jam IIRC.

Wolff is your friend, you can order springs for about $8.00, try several, when I found one me and the gun likes I keep a few extra on hand and replace them about every 750 rounds. The Government spring might go longer then the Commander.

I'm running a 4.25" Commander in 10mm, (different spring weights) but for me I've found the 22 pound to be a good one. If I go to 24 pound I experience jams with the slide outrunning the magazine, especially the last round and especially if the mag springs are getting weak, Wolff has mag springs too.

If it where me I'd order 3 springs, one at the factory recommended rate and then one just below and one just above and try them all out. If I know for sure I'm going to be running light loads only I'll go with a lighter spring for that shooting session, although the 22 pound seems fine with all my loads, mild or hot.

I've never fired one but I've read Kimber builds a nice 10mm. I stay within book load parameters, probably 75% of my shooting is mild cast loads and mine has been running well for the past 5 years. Although it has run more then a few of the older Double Tap loads and some warmish handload's of mine with no issues, actually shoots them very well.

I haven't tried Unique or AA5 yet, but AA7 and AA9 are great powders for 10mm too, those two powders will cover just about all the bases for my 10mm usage. AA5 might shine over AA7 in the mild load department, I've just been real happy with my light AA7 loads and haven't seen a need to change them yet.

I have an 800x, 200 grain Hard cast load but I'm planning some work ups with AA9 here shortly and might use it instead of 800x in the future.

Some guy's are putting in square bottom firing pin stops...(Google this) EGW makes one that seems to be popular.

I'm having excellent results with a Tripps 9 round Cobra magazine. (need to order a couple more)

If I was going to push the gun/caliber for last available fps I'd run a G20 or the S&W platform over the 1911.

I've owned several 10mm pistols over the years and the 1911 is a nice platform for the caliber.

Welcome to the 10 Ring

mike56
04-10-2012, 17:43
I'm just using up the lead bullets I have left over from my .40sw loading.
Once those are gone, I'm going to go to jacketed like Montana or power bonds. Then leading won't be an issue.