BREAKING: NO GRAND JURY in Trayvon Martin case [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : BREAKING: NO GRAND JURY in Trayvon Martin case

snerd
04-09-2012, 10:15
Very strange turn of events. So does the prosecutor think he has enough evidence to continue without one?

http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/no-grand-jury-in-trayvon-martin-case-20120409-APX

snerd
04-09-2012, 10:18
More........

"The decision should not be considered a factor in the final determination of the case," Corey's office said in a statement.

The grand jury, set to convene on Tuesday, was previously scheduled by the former prosecutor.

Corey previously said she has not used grand jury's in cases like this and added that from the time she was appointed she said she may not need a grand jury.

The decision about whether or not to charge George Zimmerman in the case now rests with prosecutors.

"At this time, the investigation continues and there will be no further comment from this office," in the statement.
The decision means that the timetable for any possible charges remains up in the air.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/04/09/special-prosecutor-will-not-use-grand-jury-in-trayvon-martin-investigation/?hpt=hp_t1

RCP
04-09-2012, 10:18
Love how the story reports that he was "gunned down" by George Zimmerman.:upeyes:

Glockdude1
04-09-2012, 10:19
With the "edited 911 tape" being previously released, and all the controversy it caused, I say the whole case will be dropped.

:cool:

snerd
04-09-2012, 10:24
Love how the story reports that he was "gunned down" by George Zimmerman.:upeyes:
I didn't link to many sources that still ran with the "innocent skittles lad" angle. Yellow journalism, it's what's for supper.

callihan_44
04-09-2012, 10:36
Very strange turn of events. So does the prosecutor think he has enough evidence to continue without one?

http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/no-grand-jury-in-trayvon-martin-case-20120409-APX

hmm, interesting how this will play out. If not guilty of any crimes get ready for riots.....or zimmerman will be thrown under the bus for the good of the country.

Bren
04-09-2012, 10:43

Never mind (see below)

snerd
04-09-2012, 10:51
The prosecutor cannot proceed without an indictment - not presenting it to the grand jury usually means there isn't enough evidence to warrant a grand jury and the prosecutor is dropping the charges.

She can choose to drop the charges or present it to a later grand jury, but she can't choose to go ahead with a felony charge without the grand jury.

EDIT: Actually, there may be a way around it in Florida, alhtough I don't think they could charge murder. Still looking at this.Thanks, good info. Perusing the DU this morning, it looks like they have just the opposite opinion...... a guaranteed conviction! :supergrin:

Bren
04-09-2012, 10:56
Thanks, good info. Perusing the DU this morning, it looks like they have just the opposite opinion...... a guaranteed conviction! :supergrin:

Sadly, they may be right and I may have jumped to a conlcusion that would be true in KY, but not Florida.

It looks like, in a Florida state prosecution, you only have an absolute right to a grand jury for a capital crime, so something like a manslaughter charge would not require it.

marchboom
04-09-2012, 10:56
hmm, interesting how this will play out. If not guilty of any crimes get ready for riots.....or zimmerman will be thrown under the bus for the good of the country.

They MUST bring Zimmerman to trial. If not, there will be riots.

They MUST start the trial quickly or there will be riots.

If it goes to a trial, there MUST be a conviction or there will be riots.

If there is a conviction, there MUST be a long prison sentence or there will be riots.

And with all the crap by the MSM it will be difficult to find a jury that will be fair.

Apr 29...the 20 yr anniversary of the '92 Rodney King riots in L.A. A riot brought about by blacks who didn't like the findings of the jury.

walt cowan
04-09-2012, 10:59
darwin invented the 7.62. true story.

CAcop
04-09-2012, 11:06
I think they are going to charge him directly. The grand jury would be used as a fig leaf for not charging him.

My prediction is a second degree murder charge and then the jury will convict him of manslaughter.

aircarver
04-09-2012, 11:07
What this whole thing is about, is to send America a message: "Don't fight back against rioters or 'the legal system' will hamstring you".

Like all 'products' of the left, it was badly done and coming a cropper .....

czsmithGT
04-09-2012, 11:10
I think they are going to charge him directly. The grand jury would be used as a fig leaf for not charging him.

My prediction is a second degree murder charge and then the jury will convict him of manslaughter.

I agree. I don't think the prosecutor in Fla needs a grand jury to indict unless it will be a capital case, but I could be wrong.

oldman11
04-09-2012, 11:21
Let me start off by saying that no one wants a riot or riots. On the other hand we will not be intimidated by the threats of a riot (or should not be). From what I am hearing, the elected officials are actually thinking about attempting to convict an innocent person because they are AFRAID not to. A lot of politicians are AFRAID of the consequences. Since when did we Americans give in to fear?

Bren
04-09-2012, 11:26
Prior to the amendment to Section 10 of the Declaration of Rights of the Constitution of the State of Florida, F.S.A., persons charged with a felony were tried on indictment by a grand jury. By amendment adopted in 1934, except for a capital crime, a person may be tried for other felonies upon information filed by the prosecuting attorney of the court. Thus, in 1934 a prosecuting attorney of the court became, in effect, a one-man grand jury.
Widener v. Croft, 184 So.2d 444, 445 (Fla.App. 1966)

marchboom
04-09-2012, 11:29
Let me start off by saying that no one wants a riot or riots. On the other hand we will not be intimidated by the threats of a riot (or should not be). From what I am hearing, the elected officials are actually thinking about attempting to convict an innocent person because they are AFRAID not to. A lot of politicians are AFRAID of the consequences. Since when did we Americans give in to fear?

The only thing politicians are afraid of is not getting reelected. They couldn't care less about this case.

jeager
04-09-2012, 11:40
The AUDACITY of that volunteered for, appointed-not-elected Grand Jury!

barbedwiresmile
04-09-2012, 12:38
Since when did we Americans give in to fear?

Probably around the time we started frisking our grandmothers and teenage daughters in airports.

You say "we Americans" as if this phrase has any meaning in 2012, as if we are more than a tax farm managed by sociopaths.

The notion is quaint, and certainly appealing, but does not match up with even a casual observation of our actual surroundings.

MoneyMaker
04-09-2012, 13:04
Hope he walks,,,, i dont see any large scale riot,justa few idiots in florida that will aget a beat down and it will be over

wjv
04-09-2012, 13:28
Why should there be a "National Debate" regarding Florida's "stand your ground" law.

It's a STATE LAW. .

Let the people in the other 56 States worry about their own State laws. .

Snowman92D
04-09-2012, 13:37
We're gonna have riots anyway...no matter what. We'll have to have riots somewhere over something to justify the big power grab by Obama's handlers and supporters. The machinery is being set in place already.

DonGlock26
04-09-2012, 16:13

This.

Also, the Trayvon (tm) lynch mob shut down a police station today. When the mob can close the police stations down and cause an innocent person to be imprisoned, we have lost our republic.

_

czsmithGT
04-09-2012, 16:28
From what I am hearing, the elected officials are actually thinking about attempting to convict an innocent person because they are AFRAID not to. A lot of politicians are AFRAID of the consequences. Since when did we Americans give in to fear?

I don't know them and don't live there, so I have no real idea about what the elected officials are thinking. I am guessing they are thinking "Jeeze I wish I hadn't had this crap dropped in my lap".

Deployment Solu
04-09-2012, 16:34
What this whole thing is about, is to send America a message: "Don't fight back against rioters or 'the legal system' will hamstring you".

Like all 'products' of the left, it was badly done and coming a cropper .....

I'd still rather be tried by twelve , than carried by six.....

TBO
04-09-2012, 16:51
Just watched the news. They (mainstream media) are presenting this decision as = "an arrest is imminent". More obvious bias and attempt to push the story a certain direction.
George Stephanopoulos was the newscaster I saw.

MoneyMaker
04-09-2012, 17:03
sure the y will arrest him,its a ploy in the making to keep whitey down

Bruce H
04-09-2012, 17:37
We have another grandstanding Mike Nifong style prosecutor. I'll do it on my own reguardless of the evidence.

G17Jake
04-09-2012, 19:14
Probably around the time we started frisking our grandmothers and teenage daughters in airports.

You say "we Americans" as if this phrase has any meaning in 2012, as if we are more than a tax farm managed by sociopaths.

The notion is quaint, and certainly appealing, but does not match up with even a casual observation of our actual surroundings.

Your description of our situation would be hilarious if it weren't so close to the truth.

certifiedfunds
04-09-2012, 19:21
darwin invented the 7.62. true story.
:rofl:

czsmithGT
04-10-2012, 12:57
We have another grandstanding Mike Nifong style prosecutor. I'll do it on my own reguardless of the evidence.

What does she need a grand jury for?

Seems to me the only thing we know for sure that she has decided is that there is not enough evidence to charge first degree murder.

Gunnut 45/454
04-10-2012, 14:59
Like I've said before- if a prosecutor want to get you charged they will find the law somewhere anywhere that they can use to do it! Now if she relies on the evidence I predict no charges. Now like I said she can find some stupid law that really doesn't apply and charge it! Thats what they do! This is why I'm for a total review of all laws on the books- apply the COTUS/STATE COTUS if it doesn't cut the constitutional mustard -get rid of them!:steamed: And Self defense does cut the Constituional mustard.:supergrin:

Also doesn't FL have it on the books they the state has to prove it wasn't selfdefense before they can charge you? I think in the end Mr. Zimmerman might be due a very big settlement for false charges!:whistling:

MoneyMaker
04-10-2012, 15:29
Can you say witness protection????Zimmerman has so many death threats and even the Black Panthers put out a $10,000 bounty Wanted Dead or Alive,You think they would have been arrested for that,but what do i know as i thought only FBI put out wanted posters.i DONT THINK THAT THE STATE OF fLORIDA WANTS A LAW SUIT ON WRONGFULL DEATH on there hands,As if they convict him its a automatic death sentence for him the day he sets foot in any jail!!!!!!!!!!!!Zimmerman has fled the country and will start a new life elsewhere with a new idenity

czsmithGT
04-10-2012, 15:43
Also doesn't FL have it on the books they the state has to prove it wasn't selfdefense before they can charge you? I think in the end Mr. Zimmerman might be due a very big settlement for false charges!:whistling:

I don't know but don't you have to have a trial before you can "prove something" in the legal sense? So how could the state "prove something" before charging someone with a crime?