PDA

View Full Version : Contribute your example of Government Stupid

G29Reload
04-09-2012, 12:43
Here's mine in the attached.

Really? REALLY?

I had NO effin idea!

No fooling?

When I got it, I thought I was just supposed to randomly throw it at people.

Make paper airplanes out of it.

Trash it directly…

Use it to light the fireplace….

Wrap fish.

They want me to READ IT? Thank God they have a PICTURE to show me how to do that.

I'm confused about the next part.

Respond to it? How? I don't have any instructions and I'm pretty stupid, so could you make me another poster? What should I say?

Recycle it, like give it back to them so they can send it to other people?

I don't get it. But I am pretty dumb since I need a poster to instruct me. :upeyes:

:rofl:

How much did these clowns lose last year?

What else do they squander money on?

They had to pay the model in the pic…
Print the poster, probably two or three for every PO…
Someone had authorize it
Budget it
Print it….

Really?

Angry Fist
04-09-2012, 12:56
The fact that I gotta pay taxes on the dope I sell, the things I steal, and the bribes I took. :faint:

http://money.msn.com/taxes/bribes-thefts-and-other-taxable-gains.aspx

G29Reload
04-09-2012, 13:30
Yep, the thing is, since the Nixon administration they've had a partition between the IRS and LE to facilitate reporting.

Capone did not go to prison for murder, but tax evasion.

There actually is a facility in the forms for you reporting illegal income and they cannot inform the FBI.

If you get caught for crime XYZ and it made you money, you can expect to be charged for both. For example, you're busted for illegal gun running:

-crime via the ATF for weapons trafficking
-crime from the IRS if the income isn't reported
-crime under RICO statutes, etc

BUT

If you paid the taxes and reported it, they can't call atf. You just pay taxes on the gain. The gain would be calculated on your basis in the cost of good sold, so if the guns were stolen your basis is zero. You would be allowed to deduct the cost of the bolt cutters to get thru the fence if that was necessary to obtain the ill-gotten gain. I am not making this up.

And congratulations, you are now only charged with 2 crimes instead of three.

Mrs. Tink
04-09-2012, 14:34
I find it amazing that government-wide, there is incentive to spend everything instead of conserving money.

Example: your department gets an annual budget of $120K for supplies. That is $10K per month. The government never gets its act together for the fiscal year, so you are restricted until they pass a budget and/or get off of the "continuing resolution" mess after October 1. That usually takes 2-5 months. In the meantime you can only spend what you spent last year, so that slows you down and you can't get to the $10K mark. This is a vicious cycle since every year the story is the same.

So you finally have the freedom to spend money, but you are behind. The people controlling your department, higher up in the agency, hound you. Why haven't you spend this money yet? If you don't need it, we will take it back. Someone ELSE needs it. If you don't spend it ALL, you get less next year. Your targets will be decreased to whatever actual spending is. It is July and while you should be at $90K, you've only gotten to $75K.

You can't keep up because you're behind, so they take $15K away. You now have $30K left. You hurry to spend what you have left, providing aggressive targets to your managers. The day before they shut off the purchase cards at the end of the fiscal year, you spend $15K and max out the purchase card just so you don't have to give any more money back. You've bought anything and everything permissible, just to ensure that all the money is spent.

If departments were INCENTIVIZED to save money and roll over, and not be penalized for not spending all of the mnoey every year, the spending picture across government agencies would look very different. But there is this use-or-lose culture in place now that benefits someone--but not the taxpayer.

Chesafreak
04-09-2012, 14:42
GSA Fleet repairs. If you take a Govie car to a shop to be serviced, it doesn't matter what the garage charges. GSA has a standard charge for each item or service. If the garage charges less, GSA doesn't care and only pays the standard charge even if its more than whats on the bill.

Angry Fist
04-09-2012, 17:44
Yep, the thing is, since the Nixon administration they've had a partition between the IRS and LE to facilitate reporting.

There actually is a facility in the forms for you reporting illegal income and they cannot inform the FBI.

If you get caught for crime XYZ and it made you money, you can expect to be charged for both. For example, you're busted for illegal gun running:

BUT

If you paid the taxes and reported it, they can't call atf. You just pay taxes on the gain. The gain would be calculated on your basis in the cost of good sold, so if the guns were stolen your basis is zero. You would be allowed to deduct the cost of the bolt cutters to get thru the fence if that was necessary to obtain the ill-gotten gain. I am not making this up.

Cool. I read that article this morning, and it blew my mind. Will you provide a link concerning the LE reporting connection? Thanks. Very interesting.

G29Reload
04-09-2012, 18:25
Cool. I read that article this morning, and it blew my mind. Will you provide a link concerning the LE reporting connection? Thanks. Very interesting.

That was per my Federal Tax instructor in college, ca. 1993 or so.

MoneyMaker
04-09-2012, 19:02
$500 million dollars invested to start a health care that may not ever exist

rgregoryb
04-09-2012, 19:57
the POTUS ?

The Fist Of Goodness
04-09-2012, 20:06

BUT

It has been a while since I heard this, but I am pretty sure you can even deduct the cost of your cocaine on a tax return as Cost of Goods Sold. There was a recent (within the last ten years) lower court case that tried to expand this theory to computations in money laundering cases, but it was overturned by a higher appeals court (I don't remember whether it made it to SCOTUS).

KentuckyPatriot
04-09-2012, 20:13
Making pennies that cost more than their face value....Why have the darn things if it costs us more than they are worth? :wow:

The Fist Of Goodness
04-09-2012, 21:04

The reporting rules are true. IRS cannot, except under limited circumstances, disclose any tax information to another agency. You could staple a confession to a murder to the front of your return, and IRS could not send a copy to the police.

Even in a criminal tax evasion case, the IRS Criminal Investigators cannot take that information to the Homicide investigators (they can, once the case has been referred to the US Attorney for prosecution, share tax information with the federal prosecutors, but they are bound by the same rules.)

Unauthorized disclosures are a felony, and a few IRS employees are prosecuted for it every year. It could be as simple (and stupid) as looking up a celebrity's address.

There is a way around these rules, but it requires a court order, and is generally used in non-tax related financial investigations (money laundering, bank fraud, mortgage fraud, etc,) where prosecutors can show an evidentiary need to access the returns.

RyanSBHF
04-09-2012, 21:24
I find it amazing that government-wide, there is incentive to spend everything instead of conserving money.

Example: your department gets an annual budget of $120K for supplies. That is $10K per month. The government never gets its act together for the fiscal year, so you are restricted until they pass a budget and/or get off of the "continuing resolution" mess after October 1. That usually takes 2-5 months. In the meantime you can only spend what you spent last year, so that slows you down and you can't get to the $10K mark. This is a vicious cycle since every year the story is the same.

So you finally have the freedom to spend money, but you are behind. The people controlling your department, higher up in the agency, hound you. Why haven't you spend this money yet? If you don't need it, we will take it back. Someone ELSE needs it. If you don't spend it ALL, you get less next year. Your targets will be decreased to whatever actual spending is. It is July and while you should be at $90K, you've only gotten to $75K.

You can't keep up because you're behind, so they take $15K away. You now have $30K left. You hurry to spend what you have left, providing aggressive targets to your managers. The day before they shut off the purchase cards at the end of the fiscal year, you spend $15K and max out the purchase card just so you don't have to give any more money back. You've bought anything and everything permissible, just to ensure that all the money is spent.

If departments were INCENTIVIZED to save money and roll over, and not be penalized for not spending all of the mnoey every year, the spending picture across government agencies would look very different. But there is this use-or-lose culture in place now that benefits someone--but not the taxpayer.

That's crazy. :wow:

G17Jake
04-09-2012, 21:36
the POTUS ?

I'm tired, and that made me :rofl:

JFrame
04-10-2012, 07:24
That's crazy. :wow:

That's the FedGov for you...And "progressives" want to give them MORE power? :headscratch:

evlbruce
04-10-2012, 07:27
From India:
http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/7858/hntbz.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/801/hntbz.jpg/)

FL Airedale
04-10-2012, 08:15
My dad was called by the local sheriff's department to turn himself in for a crime they wouldn't reveal over the telephone. He's a retired attorney and would have if the warrant was actually for him.

The name matched but the address, social and date of birth were all wrong. He told them he wasn't coming in but he was at home and would not resist arrest.

The sheriff's department wasn't truly stupid because they never came to get him.

Stupid is that he's now been declared dead. Now I can't say that my dad has never stretched the truth, but he keeps telling me he's alive and I believe him.

His namesake in this county, the one with the criminal record, is dead. This time another county agency made the mistake.

There are over 300 million people in the USA. There are a lot of duplicate names. You'd think government could handle it.

Stubudd
04-10-2012, 17:35
not a personal example but a generic one from an email- pretty typical, that's how you get to 4 trillion or whatever we're at now

Once upon a time the government had a vast scrap yard in the middle of a desert.

Congress said, "Someone may steal from it at night."

So they created a night watchman position and hired a person for the job.
Then Congress said, "How does the watchman do his job without instruction?"

So they created a planning department and hired two people, one person to write the instructions, and one person to do time studies.

Then Congress said, "How will we know the night watchman is doing the tasks correctly?"

So they created a Quality Control department and hired two people. One was to do the studies and one was to write the reports.

Then Congress said, "How are these people going to get paid?"

So they created two positions: a time keeper and a payroll officer then hired two people.

Then Congress said, "Who will be accountable for all of these people?"

So they created an administrative section and hired three people, an Administrative Officer, Assistant Administrative Officer, and a Legal Secretary.

Then Congress said, "We have had this command in operation for one year and we are $918,000 over budget, we must cut back."

So they laid-off the night watchman.

NOW slowly, let it sink in.

Quietly, we go like sheep to slaughter. Does anybody remember the reason given for the establishment of the DEPARTMENT OF ENERGY during the Carter administration?

Anybody?

Anything?

No?

Didn't think so!

Bottom line is, we've spent several hundred billion dollars in support of an agency, the reason for which not one person who reads this can remember!

Ready??

It was very simple... and at the time, everybody thought it very appropriate.

The Department of Energy was instituted on 8/04/1977, TO LESSEN OUR DEPENDENCE ON FOREIGN OIL.

Hey, pretty efficient, huh???

AND NOW IT'S 2012 -- 35 YEARS LATER -- AND THE BUDGET FOR THIS "NECESSARY" DEPARTMENT IS AT $24.2 BILLION A YEAR. IT HAS 16,000 FEDERAL EMPLOYEES AND APPROXIMATELY 100,000 CONTRACT EMPLOYEES; AND LOOK AT THE JOB IT HAS DONE!

(THIS IS WHERE YOU SLAP YOUR FOREHEAD AND SAY, "WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?")
34 years ago 30% of our oil consumption was foreign imports. Today 70% of our oil consumption is foreign imports.

Ah, yes -- good old Federal bureaucracy.

NOW, WE HAVE TURNED OVER THE BANKING SYSTEM, HEALTH CARE, AND THE AUTO INDUSTRY TO THE SAME GOVERNMENT?

Hello!! Anybody Home?

Signed....The Night Watchman

Angry Fist
04-10-2012, 19:08
not a personal example but a generic one from an email- pretty typical, that's how you get to 4 trillion or whatever we're at now

Once upon a time the government had a vast scrap yard in the middle of a desert.

So they created a planning department and hired two people, one person to write the instructions, and one person to do time studies.

Then Congress said, "How will we know the night watchman is doing the tasks correctly?"

So they created a Quality Control department and hired two people. One was to do the studies and one was to write the reports.

So they created two positions: a time keeper and a payroll officer then hired two people.

So they created an administrative section and hired three people, an Administrative Officer, Assistant Administrative Officer, and a Legal Secretary.

Then Congress said, "We have had this command in operation for one year and we are $918,000 over budget, we must cut back."

Quietly, we go like sheep to slaughter. Does anybody remember the reason given for the establishment of the DEPARTMENT OF ENERGY during the Carter administration?

Anybody?

Anything?

No?

Didn't think so!

Bottom line is, we've spent several hundred billion dollars in support of an agency, the reason for which not one person who reads this can remember!

Ready??

The Department of Energy was instituted on 8/04/1977, TO LESSEN OUR DEPENDENCE ON FOREIGN OIL.

AND NOW IT'S 2012 -- 35 YEARS LATER -- AND THE BUDGET FOR THIS "NECESSARY" DEPARTMENT IS AT $24.2 BILLION A YEAR. IT HAS 16,000 FEDERAL EMPLOYEES AND APPROXIMATELY 100,000 CONTRACT EMPLOYEES; AND LOOK AT THE JOB IT HAS DONE!

34 years ago 30% of our oil consumption was foreign imports. Today 70% of our oil consumption is foreign imports.

NOW, WE HAVE TURNED OVER THE BANKING SYSTEM, HEALTH CARE, AND THE AUTO INDUSTRY TO THE SAME GOVERNMENT?

Hello!! Anybody Home?

Right click, save as... Thank you, sir. :cool:

svtpwnz
04-10-2012, 21:26
South Carolina has some retarded laws on the books still. Some of these fine pieces of legislation are.....

It is legal to beat your wife on the courthouse steps on Sunday.

It is illegal to play games involving dice or cards. I kid you not. There was a local group of guys playing in a private residence who were raided by SLED a couple years back and are still fighting this.

Every adult male must bring a rifle to church on sunday to ward off indian attacks.

It is illegal to give or receive oral sex in South Carolina.

When approaching a four way or blind intersection in a non-horse driven vehicle, you must stop 100 feet from the intersection and discharge a firearm into the air to warn horse driven traffic. :rofl:

Angry Fist
04-10-2012, 21:32
I heard Illinois once turned prisoners loose, and gave them $10, a horse, and a rifle. Supposedly, it's still on the books.

G29Reload
04-10-2012, 22:48

Anybody?

Anything?

No?

Didn't think so!

Ready??

Hello!! Anybody Home?

Actually, they are in charge of a scrap yard. A pretty important one. The one that stores all the decom'd nuclear weapons.

Though thats about the size of that, the task should be given to the Navy and have the weapons stored on a secure base we already have, or in an arsenal somewhere.

I think Energy is also in charge of regulating all the nations nuke reactors.

But it is a bloated agency.