S & W pistol recall question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : S & W pistol recall question

NevadaBob
04-09-2012, 19:55
I bought a lightly used S & W model 669 9mm semi (1980's) and found out that there was a recall issued because of a defective safety. It exhibits the problem described in the recall.
I called S & W and they are sending me a return slip. I'm not sure if I want to go through the "wait" associated with a return to the manufacturer. Do you think this problem could be fixed by a local gunsmith? Thanks for any help!

rvrctyrngr
04-09-2012, 20:26
Send it to Smith. It won't take long....and they won't charge you...a local gunsmith, assuming he can do the work, will.

NevadaBob
04-09-2012, 20:31
I am prepared to pay a few bucks to have it fixed locally. I'm just not sure if I want to go through a long wait. Several weeks, that's OK. But I've heard the horror stories with some manufacturers because they're "busy busy". Thanks for your insight.

rvrctyrngr
04-09-2012, 22:28
Smith will take care of you, especially for recall work. Would be surprised if it was two weeks. Best CS in the industry, IMO.

I had a Smith 1911 with which I had an issue. Was pretty sure it was a mag problem. I sent it to them to check it out and be sure. Couldn't find anything wrong, but they replaced all the springs and polished the feed ramp and did a couple of other small touch ups and returned the pistol to me with 4 new mags in about 10 days.

NevadaBob
04-10-2012, 05:15
That is excellent customer service!

ggarciatx
04-10-2012, 09:09
It will be done by Smith & Wesson. There will be no question when it comes to the warranty if you ever need it. Don't know if they would void a warranty if someone else works on it for you. I had to send them a 5906 once and it was filthy. It came back to me spotless and with all new springs. They are top-notch. Let them handle it.

Bruce M
04-10-2012, 09:32
I had sent to Smith and Wesson an M&P. It was back in a bit more than a week and the trigger was appreciably smoother than when it went. Depending on how busy your local gunsmith is, it might actually be faster to send to to Smith and Wesson.

TN.Frank
04-10-2012, 09:35
Yep, send it back to S&W, they know what the "problem" is and how to fix it and they've got the parts on hand. A local Gun Smith would have to figure it out, order parts and then install them and he'd charge you for the work and parts. Much cheaper to let S&W do their thing and fix the gun for you. JMHO, YMMV.

NevadaBob
04-10-2012, 20:23
You guys rock, that's what I'll do. I'll dig this thread up when it comes back and report in.