Snubs for carry [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Snubs for carry

ectomorph
04-10-2012, 10:36
Mr Ayoob
Ive read the many opinions on the pros and cons of the snub for carry and I know you favor them. Ive decided that (for me at least) the snub is the way to go. I am familiar with the standard mantra S&W smoothest trigger Ruger built like a tank etc. etc.
Id really like to read your take on the best snubs for carry.

Mas Ayoob
04-10-2012, 19:57
I like them for backup more than for primary, but if all someone can carry is a small gun, there's a lot to be said for the compact revolver.

I own and use both J-frame in various weights, and SP101. As you've already figured out, with a weight in the mid 20-ounce range, the SP101 is indeed easier to shoot, particularly with .357 Magnum rounds. The S&W J-frame can be had in much lighter formats, but training with them enough to shoot well with what you carry can be excruciatingly painful with Magnum loads, and not much fun with .38 +P.

Are you carrying 24/7 in "soft clothes"? The lighter J-frames are ideal. Are you in an environment with greater risk, and perhaps only carrying for one shift? The SP101 is my usual backup when working for the police department, loaded with 125 grain Magnum. Tailor the tool to the clothing, the comfort level, and the "shootability" the given individual has determined that he or she needs.

Best of luck,
Mas