Doc44

stsai465
04-10-2012, 12:23
Confirmation tweets are coming in:

http://hotair.com/archives/2012/04/10/breaking-santorum-to-suspend-campaign/

G29Reload
04-10-2012, 12:28
yep, he's gone.

He put up a great fight and worked his butt off. Have new respect for him. Never waffled, no weasel words, went house to house in Iowa. Never had to apologize for anything he said. Never took it for granted, just applied some honest labor.

Even if you don't like him on certain views, he was an honest and decent guy. Hope his kid gets better soon. Though it should not have been the reason he got out, I mean what if one of his kids got sick while he was President and there was a crisis demanding his attention? Not good.

Best of luck to him.

snerd
04-10-2012, 12:31
Before the PA primary even? The numbers must have looked pretty bad!

windplex
04-10-2012, 12:43
about time.

i like santorum but he had no statistical chance to win. and was draining romney's funds that should have been going to fight obama.

hamster
04-10-2012, 12:52
How exciting. Now we can sit back and watch the political battle between the guys who:

*Obama who to implement a half-assed forced social medicine mandate and is rumored to be anti-second amendement.

and
*Romney who successfully implemented socialized medicine and is confirmed (through multiple votes) to be anti second amendment.

Seems like the choice boils down to which of the two statists you want in power, the more experienced successful one or the current president.

snerd
04-10-2012, 12:56
Obama/Romney - it's a win-win for the powers behind the scenes.

HarleyGuy
04-10-2012, 12:57
How exciting. Now we can sit back and watch the political battle between the guys who:

*Obama who to implement a half-assed forced social medicine mandate and is rumored to be anti-second amendement.

and
*Romney who successfully implemented socialized medicine and is confirmed (through multiple votes) to be anti second amendment.

Seems like the choice boils down to which of the two statists you want in power, the more experienced successful one or the current president.

For me, it's like the late William Buckley Jr. said.
You always vote for the most conservative candidate.

Romney was not my choice but he's definitely more conservative than Obama.

oldman11
04-10-2012, 13:03

and

Yeah, you're right Hamster. If the Dems can't get Obama in, there next choice is Romney. He's already said that he would pass the AWB (so there goes your semi-auto shotguns and rifles). And he said he didn't feel it necessary for people to CC. I think we are in for a bad 4 years, no matter who is elected.

Glock30Eric
04-10-2012, 13:06
Whooooo!! It's time for Ron Paul to rise.

JK-linux
04-10-2012, 13:07

JohnnyReb
04-10-2012, 13:09
Yes he is. And he will most likely pull the anti Romney vote.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Glock30Eric
04-10-2012, 13:10
Is Ron Paul still in?

Yes and still rocking strong!!

PawDog
04-10-2012, 13:30

:rofl: Pure comedy! :rofl:

ken grant
04-10-2012, 13:42
If Romney is the man,watch out!
4 more years of Obama.
Our only hope is to still control the house and take control of the Senate

G19G20
04-10-2012, 14:25
Yes and still rocking strong!!

This is a VERY interesting development for the huge amount of district and state delegate conventions still left. Will the Santorum delegates turn out even with him out of the race? Im not so sure. But the Paul and Romney delegates will definitely still show up so it'll be a fight between the two for the living breathing delegates.

Im genuinely surprised Santorum dropped out. He has now used his daughter as an excuse twice to back out of losing contests though (FL and now PA I assume) so that doesnt surprise me. Can Ron Paul win Texas now? This is such an interesting development!

DOC44
04-10-2012, 14:28
campaignus interuptus

Doc44

Walt_NC
04-10-2012, 14:34
I love the irony of his campaign ending at Gettysburg.

JBnTX
04-10-2012, 14:43

The only way for Ron Paul to move from 4th to 3rd place
was for Santorum to drop out.

Oh yea, look out, Ron Paul's making his move!:rofl:

Get out of the way, Ron Paul's coming through!:rofl:

G29Reload
04-10-2012, 14:49
Is Ron Paul still in?

Whodat? NEver heard of him.

G29Reload
04-10-2012, 14:53
Can Ron Paul win Texas now? This is such an interesting development!

Only if you're delusional.

Lets see, Santo to drop out of the race due to overwhelming numbers combined with family health issues.

So, a guy no ones ever heard of with 1/10 of santo's numbers is now poised to win. Just walk right in there and take it.

Sure. :upeyes:

Hey, maybe ROMNEY will drop out because of the threat! Then RP will just win by default!

And when OBAMA sees that happening, you just KNOW he'll drop out in absolute fright. What RP really needs to do is just sworn in right NOW! Its obvious, anyone can see that!

Clear path to VICTORY! whooohooo…………..

G19G20
04-10-2012, 14:59
^^^^^^^
Everybody in Texas knows who Ron Paul is since he's been a Congressman there for about 30 years. And he's cranking up the awesome attack ad machine again and has a large moneybomb set for the 15th to fund it. I don't see Texans going to the polls in droves to vote for the Massachusetts liberal Mormon.

Here's the new ad set to air.

Vote Texas - New Ron Paul 2012 Ad - YouTube

Goaltender66
04-10-2012, 15:34
This is such an interesting development!

Only if you haven't been paying attention. PA was a must win for Santorum. Recent polling had the race very close, and anything less than an overwhelming win would have put the kibosh on Santorum's electoral case. With Romney becoming competitive in PA, Santorum lost the last chance he had for a claim to relevance.

G19G20
04-10-2012, 15:57
Only if you haven't been paying attention. PA was a must win for Santorum. Recent polling had the race very close, and anything less than an overwhelming win would have put the kibosh on Santorum's electoral case. With Romney becoming competitive in PA, Santorum lost the last chance he had for a claim to relevance.

I was talking about interesting for Paul and his supporters. The dropping of Santo will give the media that chance to crown Romney but there's still a lot going on in the background at the conventions and the primaries still left. Santo has been picking up much of the "anti-Romney" vote and nearly all of the evangelical vote.

G-19
04-10-2012, 16:18
Well, I guess I will have to vote for Romney now. :(

Goaltender66
04-10-2012, 16:30
I was talking about interesting for Paul and his supporters. The dropping of Santo will give the media that chance to crown Romney but there's still a lot going on in the background at the conventions and the primaries still left. Santo has been picking up much of the "anti-Romney" vote and nearly all of the evangelical vote.

Keep plucking that chicken. :upeyes:

How much of the Evangelical vote went Paul's way in 2008 when Huckabee dropped out?

G19G20
04-10-2012, 16:40
Keep plucking that chicken. :upeyes:

How much of the Evangelical vote went Paul's way in 2008 when Huckabee dropped out?

I'll keep plucking along. Your comparison is nonsense though since that campaign and this one are entirely different. McCain wasn't nearly as repulsive to evangelicals as Romney is.

Have you booked your ticket to Tampa yet? I have. :supergrin:

Goaltender66
04-10-2012, 16:49
I'll keep plucking along. Your comparison is nonsense though since that campaign and this one are entirely different. McCain wasn't nearly as repulsive to evangelicals as Romney is.

Have you booked your ticket to Tampa yet? I have. :supergrin:

I asked you which state delegation you are with and I said I'd look you up. You never responded.

And I can't help but notice that you avoided the question I asked. If anything evangelicals will lean toward Gingrich. They sure didn't break toward Paul in 2008.

So really, the only "nonsense" is the strategery the Ronulans are floating to try and backdoor a deeply unpopular candidate into contention. The math just doesn't work, and then there's Rule 40.

G19G20
04-10-2012, 17:05
I asked you which state delegation you are with and I said I'd look you up. You never responded.

I dont remember you asking me that but it wouldn't matter since I'm remaining "incognito". The GOP is actively looking to weed out Paul delegates so no sense in outing myself until the first ballot is cast :supergrin:

And I can't help but notice that you avoided the question I asked. If anything evangelicals will lean toward Gingrich. They sure didn't break toward Paul in 2008.

Nothing to avoid. There's no comparison between 2008 and 2012 so there's no point in justifying it with a reply.

So really, the only "nonsense" is the strategery the Ronulans are floating to try and backdoor a deeply unpopular candidate into contention. The math just doesn't work, and then there's Rule 40.

Rule 40b is still in play since we're working on a plurality of delegates in many states. Three things about Rule 40b. First, it doesnt apply to a brokered convention where anybody can be nominated on the second or subsequent ballot upon motion. Second, rules can be changed on the convention floor. Nothing is written in stone. Third, the rule isn't regarding beauty contest primaries but rather the election of delegates from each state. The oft cited AP "delegate count tracker" is misinfo and doesn't accurately project delegate totals for any particular candidate, only those bound on the first ballot at the RNC. There's lots of at-large and unbound and the delegates won by candidates that have dropped out (like Santo) become unbound once their campaign is formally ended prior to or at the convention.

Goaltender66
04-10-2012, 17:23
I dont remember you asking me that but it wouldn't matter since I'm remaining "incognito". The GOP is actively looking to weed out Paul delegates so no sense in outing myself until the first ballot is cast :supergrin:

Ah, so you're one of those random voices on the Internet, the credibility of which you find unsatisfying. Got it.

Nothing to avoid. There's no comparison between 2008 and 2012 so there's no point in justifying it with a reply.
Translation: I have no good answer for that so I'm going to pretend it's irrelevant.

You're the guy who brought up the evangelical vote. Odd that you'd be so dismissive of making the case so easily.

Rule 40b is still in play since we're working on a plurality of delegates in many states. Three things about Rule 40b. First, it doesnt apply to a brokered convention where anybody can be nominated on the second or subsequent ballot upon motion. Second, rules can be changed on the convention floor. Nothing is written in stone. Third, the rule isn't regarding beauty contest primaries but rather the election of delegates from each state. The oft cited AP "delegate count tracker" is misinfo and doesn't accurately project delegate totals for any particular candidate, only those bound on the first ballot at the RNC. There's lots of at-large and unbound and the delegates won by candidates that have dropped out (like Santo) become unbound once their campaign is formally ended prior to or at the convention.
Your naïveté is charming.

G19G20
04-10-2012, 18:25
Ah, so you're one of those random voices on the Internet, the credibility of which you find unsatisfying. Got it.

You go ahead and think that.

Translation: I have no good answer for that so I'm going to pretend it's irrelevant.

Paul's vote totals are over twice what they were in 2008. The party has shifted more toward his platform overall. Romney is much more repulsive to evangelicals than McCain was. I figured this was all pretty obvious and not worthy of a reply but I guess not.

You're the guy who brought up the evangelical vote. Odd that you'd be so dismissive of making the case so easily.

Evangelicals gotta vote for someone or just stay home. If they stay home that helps Paul get a higher percentage. If they switch to Paul then that helps Paul. Only Gingrich could possibly get an evangelical bump but polls so far show he has no appeal with that group due to his interesting personal history.

Your naïveté is charming.

Mind if I quote you? "Translation: I have no good answer for that so I'm going to pretend it's irrelevant"

My understanding of Rule 40b is correct.

jdavionic
04-10-2012, 18:30
Well, I guess I will have to vote for Romney now. :(

Yea, that was pretty much my reaction.

Kingarthurhk
04-10-2012, 18:34
Ray Charles - Hit The Road Jack - YouTube

Ruble Noon
04-10-2012, 19:17
Now we need to get Romney and Newt to drop out.

maxsnafu
04-10-2012, 19:53
For me, it's like the late William Buckley Jr. said.
You always vote for the most conservative candidate.

Romney was not my choice but he's definitely more conservative than Obama.

...and the nation continues its drift to the Left.

RCP
04-10-2012, 20:15
The quote below was taken from another thread here in GTPI. Looks like Ron Paul has now picked up more delegates.

I was amazed.

I attended the Republican Caucus in Texas County, Missouri back in March.

We Voted for whom to support and Santorum won with Paul coming in a strong second; (like 75 to 56).

I further ran as a member of the slate of delegates to the state convention and lost like 53 to 49.

The Texas County delegation to the Congressional district Republican Convention has been instructed to vote for Santorum. If, for some reason, Santorum is no longer a viable candidate, the delegation is instructed to vote for Ron Paul.

Many counties in Missouri have been won over to Ron Paul, like for instance Jackson County, the largest area of Kansas City.

There is a chance that Missouri will send its delegates to Tampa voting (on the first round) for Ron Paul.

Yo'uns that listen to the managed media should spread out your perusals.

Goaltender66
04-11-2012, 06:03
You go ahead and think that.
If half the Internet Commandos who claimed to be Ron Paul delegates were actually delegates, he would have been at 1,144 in January. :upeyes:

Paul's vote totals are over twice what they were in 2008.
Twice nothing is still nothing. Paul is at 10% of the popular vote as of the last primary. Santorum dropped out with almost 30%. And you are misleading in that, for instance, Virginia inflated Paul's vote totals because of the absence of Santorum/Gingrich on the primary ballot.
The party has shifted more toward his platform overall.
More assertion without evidence. If anything, the party has shifted to Tea Party-preferred platforms, not Ron Paul's brand of "conservatism." I know you have troubles reading polls, but it's all there in the crosstabs. He isn't the Tea Party candidate, and never has been.

Romney is much more repulsive to evangelicals than McCain was. I figured this was all pretty obvious and not worthy of a reply but I guess not.
Actually, evangelicals didn't shift to Romney because by March 2008 it was clear McCain was going to carry the day, and the party coalesced around him.

Evangelicals gotta vote for someone or just stay home. If they stay home that helps Paul get a higher percentage. If they switch to Paul then that helps Paul. Only Gingrich could possibly get an evangelical bump but polls so far show he has no appeal with that group due to his interesting personal history.
Your demonstrated grasp of Poli-Sci/mathematical concepts is at the Romper Room level. If they stay home Romney and Gingrich get a "higher percentage" too and it cancels out...but raw votes remain substantially the same. If your thesis is that evangelicals will go to Paul because of Santorum dropping out, then it isn't supported by what happened in 2008.

Mind if I quote you? "Translation: I have no good answer for that so I'm going to pretend it's irrelevant"

My understanding of Rule 40b is correct.
You simply have no good understanding of the delegate math. Paul can't demonstrate a plurality of support in five states now, and it's not going to get better with Santorum out of the race. Paul not on the ballot, Santorum gone, and Gingrich a non-factor...sorry, but game over.

But look at it this way...it's all for the best. It spares Ron Paul an embarassing loss in the General and helps you keep your talking points (and your dignity) alive for another day.

windplex
04-11-2012, 10:36
its all over but the crying.

its mitt.