200gr .40 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 200gr .40

ChicagoZman
04-10-2012, 18:11
Mas,

I recently picked up several boxes of DoubleTap .40S&W loaded with 200gr XTP-HPs which are rated at 990fps/1050fps/1100fps out of 3.5"/4.0"/4.5" barrels, respectively. Got these cheap as part of a package deal on a Glock 22 upper.

These are definitely some stout loads but run fine in all of my Glocks. I know your reluctance to opine on rounds which don't have a street record but I welcome your thought on the wisdom of carrying such a load in winter for its penetration potential through heavy clothing.

PS: LFI-I and LFI-II grad with great appreciation for what you've taught me and many others through the years.

Mas Ayoob
04-10-2012, 19:43
Z, the problem with heavy clothing isn't that it retards penetration, at least with service caliber JHPs. Problem is that it tends to plug the bullets and keep them from expanding. Heavier weight will add to penetration, all other things being equal, but will probably give you more than you need. I already see an uncomfortable number of overpenetrations with 180 grain subsonic .40 JHPs.

Oddly enough, the faster bullets tend to expand BETTER when going through intermediate material such as clothing first. I certainly wouldn't go higher than 180 grains for a winter load myself, and personally favor 155-165 grain at full velocity in a .40, whatever the weather.

Realizing YMMV,
Mas

ChicagoZman
04-11-2012, 07:20
Thanks for the prompt reply. Probably use these up on the range and buy me some Golden Saber 165s.

Stay safe.