Question About LEO Academy Training [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Question About LEO Academy Training

KiloBravo
04-11-2012, 06:41
Hello Mr. Ayoob,

I finished the testing/hiring process for a large para-military state law enforcement agency a few months ago, and they have delayed the start of my training twice so far. However, now it appears as though it is set to start by possibly this June. This is my dream agency, so I will do everything I can to make it and graduate on time.

My question is this...With your experience and knowledge of the LE community, do you have any tips or tricks I should keep in mind whilst completing the firearms and defensive tactics training? I have talked to the many fine men and women in blue in Cop Talk, and have gotten a lot of sound advice there.

I have quite a bit of personal range time, but limited formal instruction. I feel that I am a rather good shot with any firearm that I pick up, but am always looking to get the most out of learning that I can.

I am sorry for the long winded question, and if this does not quite fit the standard types of questions you normally answer. I was hoping to hear from an expert such as yourself, and am very eagerly awaiting your response.

Respectfully,

KiloBravo

Mas Ayoob
04-11-2012, 08:50
Best advice is to follow your sig line, bro: ears & eyes open, mouth shut, and remember the eggshells. At entry level, do it the way they instruct, and don't debate your own preferred techniques or theories with the instructors.

Get through Academy with the highest marks you can, in every discipline. Get through probation. After that you'll have a whole career in which to debate new techniques, garner additional training on your own, and hopefully make firearms training one of your specialties on The Job.

Best of luck in your new career,
Mas

KiloBravo
04-11-2012, 09:05
Best advice is to follow your sig line, bro: ears & eyes open, mouth shut, and remember the eggshells. At entry level, do it the way they instruct, and don't debate your own preferred techniques or theories with the instructors.

Get through Academy with the highest marks you can, in every discipline. Get through probation. After that you'll have a whole career in which to debate new techniques, garner additional training on your own, and hopefully make firearms training one of your specialties on The Job.

Best of luck in your new career,
Mas

Thanks a lot Mas! I respect what you have to say an awful lot. Your statement about not debating the way they teach is admirable. I don't intend to do so, but I am sure "that guy" will be there to take the focus off of me of for that reason. :supergrin:

I also like the suggestion about making it as a firearms instructor or a FTO someday in my career. I love to teach, and it would combine two things I am sure I will enjoy doing. Thanks again!

Respectfully,

KiloBravo