Questions on food storage [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Questions on food storage

glockeglock
04-12-2012, 20:57

FatBoy
04-12-2012, 21:18
Greetings. I have a few very specific questions on food storage. I'm not looking for food storage philosophy 101 or other well meaning responses that don't answer the questions. Just looking for specific answers to specific questions.

1) I see people putting food into Mylar bags and then putting the loaded bags into food grade buckets.
My assumption is the bucket's purpose is to protect the mylar bag from puncture and the food from being crushed. I assume they provide no other benefit.
Question: What is the purpose of the bucket? You hit the nail on the head

2) These canisters from Dollar Tree are marked as BPA free and food grade. They are thin, though. They are available in 2, 3 and 4 quart sizes.
http://www.dollartree.com/Large-Plastic-Canisters-with-Twist-On-Lids-2-Qt-/p316305/index.pro
Questions: What do you think about these canisters for long term food storage? What types of food would you store in it?
I wouldn't. I doubt they are air tight over time.
3) I have been using the above canisters to store rice. I first line the interior with clear plastic garbage liner bags. I assume these are not "food grade."
Questions: What is the downside to using these bags? Would I be better off without the bags at all? Can you suggest a better bag?
Downside is whatever chemicals the manufacture uses to manufacture the bags leaching into your food. Some bags are made from recycled plastic. Who knows what those original containers held. Some trash/garbage bags have insect replants. Not what I want in my food. Mylar/ O2 absorbers are the way to go..
Thank you.
GeG

There u go.

FB

Bolster
04-12-2012, 21:23
GlockE: Not direct answers to your question, but not general philosophy either.

You can assemble a nice setup by going to home depot and buying (1) the 5 gal food safe white bucket and (2) the gamma lids with screw top and o-ring seal. Each bucket/lid combo would cost you 12 dollars. I would imagine the bag would be optional with that setup, unless you wanted belt-and-suspenders solution.

Most answers to your trash-bag question will be conjecture, you'd need a chemist with a specialty to answer that. Easy enough to stick to food grade materials, however. If not a large mylar with oxy absorbers, then 1-gal ziplocks would give you a less lasting but still very usable solution for long shelf items like rice, sugar, beans, given the bucket would (should?) be sealed with the o-ring. Combine that with stock rotation and you won't need mylar and O2 absorbers.

I put a pack of desiccant in my food buckets to keep them real dry.

Protus
04-13-2012, 05:29
Greetings. I have a few very specific questions on food storage. I'm not looking for food storage philosophy 101 or other well meaning responses that don't answer the questions. Just looking for specific answers to specific questions.

1) I see people putting food into Mylar bags and then putting the loaded bags into food grade buckets.
My assumption is the bucket's purpose is to protect the mylar bag from puncture and the food from being crushed. I assume they provide no other benefit.
Question: What is the purpose of the bucket?

2) These canisters from Dollar Tree are marked as BPA free and food grade. They are thin, though. They are available in 2, 3 and 4 quart sizes.
http://www.dollartree.com/Large-Plastic-Canisters-with-Twist-On-Lids-2-Qt-/p316305/index.pro
Questions: What do you think about these canisters for long term food storage? What types of food would you store in it?

3) I have been using the above canisters to store rice. I first line the interior with clear plastic garbage liner bags. I assume these are not "food grade."
Questions: What is the downside to using these bags? Would I be better off without the bags at all? Can you suggest a better bag?

Thank you.
GeG

i will make it KISS for you.

#1- Yes you are 100% correct. The bucket does nothing but be a secondary\ hard barrier to help protect the mylar- which protects your food.

#2-The down fall is size and that they are clear/opaque. Which will allow light to pass through. This can shorten the life span of your food. For LTS i would stick with a better/stronger container - 2 or 5 gallon bucket or tote.
UNLESS your using the larger one that you line with a 1 gallon sized mylar bag. But try carrying 8 ,4 qt containers vs 1 small bucket when in a hurry.Something to think of.

#3-The bags are not food grade. They have chemicals(fragrances and pesticides ) that will leach into your food. Your are using a BPA,"food grade" container already Why contradict that by using something that is not , but that is in direct contact with your food.
Better bag- see #2. They sell mylar in one gallon bags.
If you chose not to use either or any ...well you'll figure it out when you try to rotate it out down the road.

Hope that was specific enough for you this time.FWIW all that your asking was in what i linked to you...hit the easy button next time...it'll be faster.

quake
04-13-2012, 06:25
...1) Question: What is the purpose of the bucket?
As said above, mostly to protect from physical harm; structural integrity basically.
...2) These canisters from Dollar Tree are marked as BPA free and food grade. They are thin, though. They are available in 2, 3 and 4 quart sizes.
Short answer, for long-term storage, not a good choice imo. Long answer: there are the traditional "Five enemies of food storage": light, heat, moisture, air (oxygen mostly), and pests. There is a sixth - time - but not anything we can do about that one. Those containers don't protect at all against light, and protect imperfectly against moisture and air; these last two will penetrate the plastic body of the container gradually, even if the lid is screwed on perfectly tight. Just the nature of plastics in general.

...3) Questions: What is the downside to using these bags?
Primary downside is that they're clear plastic, same as the container; so they don't block light at all, and only partially protect atainst air & moisture.

...Would I be better off without the bags at all?
Don't know if you'd be better off without them. Most any additional barrier is inherently better than no additional barrier, unless it's toxic. And those garbage bags may or may not be (to some degree) toxic. As others have said, some garbage bags are treated with bug repellent (which is poison to one degree or another), or deodorants (which can also be poison to one degree or another).

...Can you suggest a better bag?
Not to play the same one-note song as everyone else, but mylar bags really are the best answer as far as "bags". They block all light, air, and moisture with their metallized lining/layer. Putting them in a bucket protects them from pests and protects them structurally. Other than temperature, that covers all the dangers.

Lowdown3
04-13-2012, 06:49
Your food is an investment. It will be worth more a couple years from now than it is now. Rice I put up in the 80's at $14. per hundred lbs. now costs about $17. per FIFTY lbs.

Protect your investment.

Throw out all the half arse notions that none of the large long term food storage packing houses use, those include:
*Mylar party balloons
*Dry ice
*DE
*handwarmers as oxygen absorbers
*Soda pop bottles
*"Sheetrock dust" or "lime"

http://www.survivalandpreparednessforum.com/showthread.php?1149-DIY-food-storage-basics-ask-questions-get-answers-etc.

Here is a fairly definitive thread on the subject.

Ditch the trash bag liners. I will never forget the bumpkin from Louseyanna that was at a Preparedness Expo in Dallas in early 99 that was home packing grains for sale- had fresh from the field corn (too moist) in TRASH BAGS inside buckets and was stupid enough to have one displayed in the open at his booth. I told him "man, these are TRASH BAGS!" Festus replied that "no they ain't, dem are mylar bags." Hell you could see they were Glad trash can liners.....

glockeglock
04-13-2012, 12:40