Will mankind ever solve their economic problems? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Will mankind ever solve their economic problems?

Vic Hays
04-13-2012, 18:50
A modern day prophet has predicted that the supposedly fireproof buildings in New York are not so has told us also of what will become of economic woes.

From Testimonies volume 9 pages 11-13 by Ellen White

"On one occasion, when in New York City, I was in the night season called upon to behold buildings rising story after story toward heaven. These buildings were warranted to be fireproof, and they were erected to glorify their owners and builders. Higher and still higher these buildings rose, and in them the most costly material was used. Those to whom these buildings belonged were not asking themselves: “How can we best glorify God?” The Lord was not in their thoughts.
I thought: “Oh, that those who are thus investing their means could see their course as God sees it! They are piling up magnificent buildings, but how foolish in the sight of the Ruler of the universe is their planning and devising. They are not studying with all the powers of heart and mind how they may glorify God. They have lost sight of this, the first duty of man.”
As these lofty buildings went up, the owners rejoiced with ambitious pride that they had money to use in gratifying self and provoking the envy of their neighbors. Much of the money that they thus invested had been obtained through exaction, through grinding down the poor. They forgot that in heaven an account of every business transaction is kept; every unjust deal, every fraudulent act, is there recorded. The time is coming when in their fraud and insolence men will reach a point that the Lord will not permit them to pass, and they will learn that there is a limit to the forbearance of Jehovah.
The scene that next passed before me was an alarm of fire. Men looked at the lofty and supposedly fire-proof buildings and said: “They are perfectly safe.” But these buildings were consumed as if made of pitch. The fire engines could do nothing to stay the destruction. The firemen were unable to operate the engines.
I am instructed that when the Lord’s time comes, should no change have taken place in the hearts of proud, ambitious human beings, men will find that the hand that had been strong to save will be strong to destroy. No earthly power can stay the hand of God. No material can be used in the erection of buildings that will preserve them from destruction when God’s appointed time comes to send retribution on men for their disregard of His law and for their selfish ambition.
There are not many, even among educators and statesmen, who comprehend the causes that underlie the present state of society. Those who hold the reins of government are not able to solve the problem of moral corruption, poverty, pauperism, and increasing crime. They are struggling in vain to place business operations on a more secure basis. If men would give more heed to the teaching of God’s word, they would find a solution of the problems that perplex them."

hogfish
04-13-2012, 19:53
Oh, man! Sorry, but I have to give you my 1st reaction: The 9/11 highjackers could have been reciting something along these lines.

Vic Hays
04-13-2012, 20:05
It is eerily like 9-11. In fact the quote is from Testimonies 9 page 11.

The buildings were not fireproof even though they were supposed to be.

Ellen White died in 1915 so I doubt any collaboration with any hijackers.

Kingarthurhk
04-13-2012, 20:50
I read between the lines. It cut me to the quick. I may not be a wealthy robber baron, but God looks at the heart. And He cares about my motives as a simple man, as he cares about those of the grandly wealthy men. What have I done in my life that was self-agrandizing? Did I need to get the biggest and baddest truck around? No. Did I need to amass several firearms and ammo? No. All these pleased me and let me have bragging rights with the boys. How am I any different than those men who built monuments to themselves, other than theirs is for all to see, and mine are lesser, but of the same spirit?

jeager
04-13-2012, 21:14
According to that other religious franchise, Marxism:
"Crime is a Capitalist Disease"

Kingarthurhk
04-13-2012, 21:19

I am by no means a Marxist, but I diagree that "Greed is good."

Vic Hays
04-14-2012, 09:02

The disease is sin. It exists under any form of human government.

More repressive forms of government still have crime.

Is there any form of government that does not have a ruling class?

A religious government headed by a mere man is just as prone maybe even more so to crime.

The answer is what God intended for mankind from the beginning, His character reflected in ours. The image of God. So far there has only been one who has perfectly reflected the image of God and that is:

Hebrews 1:3 Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high:

The only way for us to reflect that image is by looking to Jesus and letting the Holy Spirit work within us.

II Corinthians 3:18 But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord.

IndianaMatt
04-20-2012, 10:54
A modern day prophet has predicted that the supposedly fireproof buildings in New York are not so has told us also of what will become of economic woes. ...

What exactly is "a modern day prophet"? Like this guy?

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/waco/graphics/koresh.gif

Glock30Eric
04-20-2012, 12:30
A sinner is always a sinner till he die in faith.

Vic Hays
04-20-2012, 13:07
What exactly is "a modern day prophet"? Like this guy?

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/waco/graphics/koresh.gif

The spiritual gift of prophecy is to be in the Church till the second coming of Jesus.

God always gives a warning. I guess it would not be in line with His mercy and justice if He didn't. There is no coercion used. A person can choose to heed or disregard the warning. Most people in the past have chosen to disregard and scoff.

Your picture of Koresh is an example of a false prophet. It was a real tip off when he claimed to be Jesus.
We are warned of false prophets and we are told to test the prophets by the Bible.

Revelation 19:10 And I fell at his feet to worship him. And he said unto me, See thou do it not: I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren that have the testimony of Jesus: worship God: for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.

Revelation 12:17 And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

Acts 2:18 And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy:

vikingsoftpaw
04-20-2012, 21:50
No, because someone will always go better than another and accumulate more toys than another. This disparity causes the lesser hardworking/thrifty/fortunate to become all butt-hurt. They will find council in those who would 'liberate' the excess of those who are better off. The cycle goes on and on...

Vic Hays
04-21-2012, 09:40
No, because someone will always go better than another and accumulate more toys than another. This disparity causes the lesser hardworking/thrifty/fortunate to become all butt-hurt. They will find council in those who would 'liberate' the excess of those who are better off. The cycle goes on and on...

God is at work solving our problems.

Daniel 2:44 And in the days of these kings shall the God of heaven set up a kingdom, which shall never be destroyed: and the kingdom shall not be left to other people, but it shall break in pieces and consume all these kingdoms, and it shall stand for ever.
2:45 For as much as you saw that the stone was cut out of the mountain without hands, and that it broke in pieces the iron, the brass, the clay, the silver, and the gold; the great God has made known to the king what shall come to pass hereafter: and the dream is certain, and the interpretation thereof sure.