Would you shoot rioters if they were neighbors? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Would you shoot rioters if they were neighbors?

JuneyBooney
04-15-2012, 10:49
This is purely a hypothetical question but would you shoot rioters near your home if they were burning the homes and cars and beating the residents down? Here is another addition..what if the rioters were kids from your own neighborhood? Would you shoot them down without compunction to save yourself and other and your property?

In my opinion I think it would be justified if anarchy breaks out.

Glockdude1
04-15-2012, 10:50
This is purely a hypothetical question but would you shoot rioters near your home if they were burning the homes and cars and beating the residents down? Here is another addition..what if the rioters were kids from your own neighborhood? Would you shoot them down without compunction to save yourself and other and your property?

Yes, if I HAD too........

:cool:

Hour13
04-15-2012, 11:00

In that situation, that ^^^ would be the only basis of my decision making process.

Everything else is just details.

Ruggles
04-15-2012, 11:11
To save lives certainly yes, to protect property not so sure. Depends on what exactly was going on and how old these kids were.

JuneyBooney
04-15-2012, 11:56
To save lives certainly yes, to protect property not so sure. Depends on what exactly was going on and how old these kids were.

Let's say around 17 and they are burning homes and cars. Beating people with tire irons too. Like a typical riot.

F350
04-15-2012, 12:08
I don't have a number AK style rifles with loaded 100 and 75 round drums for nothing.....

Like I told my boss when he found out I carried my shorty AR and 10, 30 round mags to a housing project the day after the Rodney King riots to do some phone work, he asked "You wouldn't have really hurt anyone would you?"

I said "(John); if the SOBs had come after me, the cops would have been stacking bodies like cord wood"!

Age be damned, if they are old enough to burn, loot and beat people, they're old enough to die!

JuneyBooney
04-15-2012, 13:08
I don't have a number AK style rifles with loaded 100 and 75 round drums for nothing.....

Like I told my boss when he found out I carried my shorty AR and 10, 30 round mags to a housing project the day after the Rodney King riots to do some phone work, he asked "You wouldn't have really hurt anyone would you?"

I said "(John); if the SOBs had come after me, the cops would have been stacking bodies like cord wood"!

Age be damned, if they are old enough to burn, loot and beat people, they're old enough to die!

Now that is how I think. :supergrin:

michael e
04-15-2012, 13:13
Would you shoot them down without compunction to save yourself and other and your property?
YES, I will do what it takes to save my family. If they looted the corner store that is not my problem, if they try to harm my family that is.

CitizenOfDreams
04-15-2012, 14:04
What are my options again? a) Shoot them, or b) let them burn my home and beat me with tire irons? Is that a trick question?:dunno:

Ruggles
04-15-2012, 14:42
Let's say around 17 and they are burning homes and cars. Beating people with tire irons too. Like a typical riot.

In that case , oh hell yeah :supergrin:

JuneyBooney
04-15-2012, 20:39
In that case , oh hell yeah :supergrin:

Well, we should always be prepared for the worst. :faint:

Osborne
04-15-2012, 20:40
If I or my family is in danger I wouldn't hesitate.

JuneyBooney
04-15-2012, 20:41
What are my options again? a) Shoot them, or b) let them burn my home and beat me with tire irons? Is that a trick question?:dunno:

It was a typical riot situation like 1992 and the Dc riots in Adams Morgan some years back, :faint:Be prepared and have your riot/zombie guns always ready. :whistling:

JuneyBooney
04-15-2012, 20:42
If I or my family is in danger I wouldn't hesitate.

You have the proper mindset to do what is necessary. Modern America seems to be coming apart so the mindset has to be adjusted accordingly. :whistling:

Texas357
04-15-2012, 22:55
Beating people with tire irons? Buckshot, apply as necessary.

Bilbo Bagins
04-16-2012, 13:50
The neighborly thing to do would be to mortally wound the neighborhood kids, not kill them. :whistling:

JuneyBooney
04-17-2012, 23:02
The neighborly thing to do would be to mortally wound the neighborhood kids, not kill them. :whistling:

I guess that would be "neighborly". :supergrin:

JuneyBooney
04-17-2012, 23:02
Beating people with tire irons? Buckshot, apply as necessary.

Cojone shots would work nicely. :whistling:

hammerkill
04-27-2012, 08:16
Would you shoot rioters if they were neighbors?

With pleasure!:rollsmiley:

dpadams6
04-27-2012, 09:29

Ha. F350. Well said

RDW
04-28-2012, 17:06
Of course I would!

kenpoprofessor
04-28-2012, 17:21
According to many here, you should just be a good witness and let the cops handle it. You're not qualified to clear your own home, much less a riot of this nature. :faint:

My answer, as was said above, if they're old enough to hurt other people, they're old enough to get hurt right back :wow:.

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde

hagar
04-28-2012, 17:58
I ALREADY know which kids in the neighborhood I'm going to shoot first in case of TSHTF. Although there are 2 less recently since momma did not pay the mortgage and they got evicted.:supergrin:

countrygun
05-01-2012, 11:56
Why would you let a neighbor do something that you would shoot a stranger for? Seems like it would take away the justification for shooting anyone at all in the circumstances:dunno:

dango
06-09-2012, 08:58
To get respect you got to give respect , yes , I will shoot anyone trying to harm what is mine , even my brother !

dcc12
06-25-2012, 09:51
After watching a show on the 20th anniversary of the Rodney King riots, where the media interviewed people involved at the time. Rioters, LAPD, Korean merchants, citizens. The thoughts of the rioters today was truly scary. Yes if that time comes and you cannot evacuate to safe ground lots of ammo and shoot to wound I don't want dead bodies stinking up the neighborhood, and I do want fellow rioters to feel the need to carry their buddies to help.

AZL
07-16-2012, 14:04
After watching a show on the 20th anniversary of the Rodney King riots, where the media interviewed people involved at the time. Rioters, LAPD, Korean merchants, citizens. The thoughts of the rioters today was truly scary. Yes if that time comes and you cannot evacuate to safe ground lots of ammo and shoot to wound I don't want dead bodies stinking up the neighborhood, and I do want fellow rioters to feel the need to carry their buddies to help.

I am NOT flaming you here...please don't take it that way...

I don't think people engaged in violent and riotous behavior are going to stop to carry anyone anywhere in the extreme majority of cases, by their very actions, they have abandoned any and all humane behavior, and they may not BE with friends or people they know...merely part of a general mob.

Shooting to wound is NEVER good juju. You must think "Shoot to stop, and do so by the fastest most effective means possible" Remember if a shot is JUSTIFIED it is by definition necessary to STOP an act capable of inflicting "immediate and otherwise unavoidable death or grave bodily harm"

Some places DO allow one to use lethal force in protection of property...but you had better know the pertinent case law where YOU live. Many jurisdictions allow the use of lethal force to stop the arson of an OCCUPIED structure, or one a reasonable person would BELIEVE to be occupied. But you have to be able to articulate this....possibly an elderly neighbor or a house with children...

Then again a house in close proximity to yours could REASONABLY be believed to cause your home to burn also, especially when FIRE/EMS would be stretched so thin as to not be able to respond...so, you have to be able to articulate that.

There are a LOT of variables that could be discussed and argued about for hours and hours and pages and pages...the salient point is: Be careful, sadly doing what is MORALLY right isn't always what is LEGALLY right.

Yet another reason why I love living out in the middle of nowhere. My neighbors are ranchers, dairy farmers, cotton farmers, and other folks who likewise HATE living in the city. None of us are given to riotous behavior.

I think however it is very wise to plan for something SOON. The Trayvon case could bring in a verdict of not guilty, and that very well could spark a riot (ease up mods...I am NOT starting a Trayvon thread...just citing a likely example relevent to the present day).

So....if you are FORCED TO FIRE TO STOP AN IMMEDIATE AND OTHERWISE UNAVOIDABLE THREAT OF DEATH OR GRAVE BODILY HARM...be able to articulate WHY you were FORCED to act in the manner in which you did to STOP the threat. (notice FORCED was used a lot? That is a particularly good word if you are FORCED to fire in self defense or in defense of others whom you have the legal right to protect)

All I am sayinig is think it all the way through!

crazycathed
08-14-2012, 03:41
a couple shots from one of my 50's loaded with HP rounds would stop that real quick

Bren
08-14-2012, 05:21

Of course I would. Who are you thinking you might have to shoot, if not your neighbors? How often do you see a riot where people meet across town to get it started? If you are in the middle of a riot, at your home, your neighbors are the rioters.

Bluestreakfl
08-14-2012, 05:35
If it meant the survival of myself and my loved ones, I wouldn't hesitate. The neighbors on one side are an older couple, I'd make sure they were safe or have them hunker down with us. The other neighbor, well I've never actually met him. He's got a bit larger property, surrounded by fence and trees, motion sensor lights everywhere, and cameras. I just have a feeling anyone trying to enter his property would leave in pieces. We live down a little dirt road off a main state road. It used to be I could sit out back and just listen to the frogs and crickets, but now more often, I hear the sound of someone's rap rumbling everything in a 1/2 mile radius, and the riff raff seems to be slowly encroaching. Hope I never have to worry about it, but I'm prepared if it were to happen. One poster on a similar thread said something that made perfect sense and kinda brought an evil grin to my face. Something to the effect of the first shot goes to the leader, right to the gut or groin. The screaming cries of pain are demoralizing to the rest of the mob. Next shot goes to anyone who runs to aid him.

Sent from my phone booth

Yrdawg
08-14-2012, 17:20
As said...better know the law. Sometimes when the smoke clears the good guys become bad guys under the " law " . When and if my situation becomes the protecting of safety and even life ...all bets are off. The ID of the offender matters not.

We live at the dead end of a dirt road, very hard to surprise me and even harder to over run me.

My encouragement to every one is to get out of towns ASAP.

AZL
09-10-2012, 22:03
Someone brought up a good point..."neighbor" does NOT necessarily equal "friend".

After having lived for some years in a so-called "neighborhood" in a city before moving to our current digs out in the desert...I couldn't count a single "neighbor" a "friend". True...some were folks we'd wave to, or wave to us. Some looked upon my wife and I as "the cops down the street" and thus...either hated us for our jobs, or avoided us for whatever other reason. My next-door neighbors were in their 60's and were as close to friends as we got there.

The dynamic has changed I suppose in the Home Owner's Association developments many find themselves in. When I was a wee lad...we still had "friends and neighbors" you could count on.

It is just one of the many things that suck nowadays.

ZO6Vettever
09-17-2012, 09:58

Yes, that is self preservation if not self defense.

PaulMason
09-17-2012, 10:02

You should move to a better neighborhood.

HoldHard
09-17-2012, 11:07
Detroit. July 23, 1967. 43 dead. 1,189 injured.

My next door neighbor handed out his gun collection to selected neighbors he trusted, making sure they were armed.

I clearly remember my father getting a side-by-side 410 shotgun and a handful of shells.

Some things have changed in 45 years. Some have not.

HH

http://www.blackpast.org/files/blackpast_images/detroit_race_riot_1967.jpg

http://www.hal.state.mi.us/mhc/museum/explore/museums/hismus/1900-75/sixties/images/sixriot.jpg

http://atdetroit.net/forum/messages/6790/85871.jpg

janice6
09-17-2012, 11:14
when my life or my families is threatened, I will use deadly force to protect myself and my family.

Why is "who is threatening my life" a consideration?

I was on a jury where two jurors worried that convicting a pedophile would "hurt his reputation". Who doesn't matter, lives do.

rohanreginald
09-17-2012, 11:20
I know that I have one neighbor who would join me in afire fight if rioting were to envelope our neighborhood.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Dragoon44
09-17-2012, 16:35
Yes especially if it was my neighbor who is a damn yankee yard nazi.

:rofl:

LASTRESORT20
09-17-2012, 16:43
~ "Would you shoot rioters if they were neighbors?" ~

My "Neighbors" are not like that.....If they turned into ignorant Zombies and started doing the things "ignorant" zombies do.... well of course...its do or die.

jtull7
09-17-2012, 18:12
You guys live in the wrong neighborhoods.

I would never live in a neighborhood where I thought my neighbors would riot, no matter what the provocation.

I have great respect for my neighbors, and they have great respect for me. They are honorable and non-violent people. We take care of each other.

tantrix
10-16-2012, 16:02
I don't have any neighbors, but if the people nearest to me were rioting...I guess that would have to be their problem. Being home protecting my wife and kids is going to be priority #1.

Woofie
10-16-2012, 16:14
Sometimes I want to shoot my neighbors just because.:tbo:

CanMan
10-17-2012, 22:37
Of course I would. Who are you thinking you might have to shoot, if not your neighbors? How often do you see a riot where people meet across town to get it started? If you are in the middle of a riot, at your home, your neighbors are the rioters.

I think Bren pretty much nailed it. Unless it was a Flash Mob, neighbors would be the ones up to bat.... It'd be a riot.

domin8ss
10-17-2012, 22:51
Although it is very unlikely to happen in my neighborhood because I live in off-base military housing, yes. If I reasonably felt mine or my families lives were in jeopardy, absolutely. However, with that said, my neighborhood is loaded with people that have their own firearms. We'd probably get together and form defensive perimeters in order to 1) evict rioters, and 2) keep them away.

JLB768
10-20-2012, 03:34
My neighborhood is mostly empty (new subdivision). I suppose I would put a limit on them...anyone close enough to throw a molotov cocktail at my home, would be set up for a meeting with their God.

JLM63
10-20-2012, 04:02
I probably would not, because we all know they are really good kids who are just about to "get their life back together", right? Any day now, gonna get their life back together. That's how the family always quotes it to the news... (sarcasm)

dpadams6
10-20-2012, 05:42
I probably would not, because we all know they are really good kids who are just about to "get their life back together", right? Any day now, gonna get their life back together. That's how the family always quotes it to the news... (sarcasm)

"Not my baby" "he was a good boy" "he always did things for others" "he was misunderstood" "he would never do such a thing" "he was gonna get his life back together and go to school" YEAH, OK...

tnpatriot
10-20-2012, 16:58
Hey , do you live in my neighborhood? What have you heard? Are them crazy yankees up to no good again ? Well I'm ready for em. I got to go. I see one of em walking real funny, right in front of my house.:steamed:

NorthCarolinaLiberty
11-14-2012, 21:33
Does the neighborhood have an HOA?

WilliamDahl
11-22-2012, 06:12
As far as I am concerned, anyone who even steps foot on my property is betting their life that I'm in a good mood that day and that is without any rioting to make me even more of a curmudgeon.

Glock20 10mm
12-03-2012, 19:09
They start coming towards my place, without compunction. But other wise, probably not.

mikegun
01-25-2013, 15:26
I was in both Los Angeles riots, and ive seen 1st hand and know how fast things can go downhill, and what "normal people" are capable of, so if the situation warranted it i would shoot people.

ZO6Vettever
02-27-2013, 12:10
Absolutly yes.

WilliamDahl
03-03-2013, 05:04
Some of my neighbors, I would be glad to have an excuse to shoot, even if they were not rioting. Especially the HOA Nazis.

FloorPoor
03-03-2013, 22:30
Only in the defense of life. Someone beating someone else with a tire iron or setting fire to an occupied home is gonna catch lead. Someone destroying mine or my neighbors property will be warned...

badge315
05-18-2013, 19:53
Do they have to be rioting? :whistling: :supergrin:

countrygun
05-19-2013, 01:09
Do they have to be rioting? :whistling: :supergrin:

"Riot" is such a vague term. So hard to pin down its meaning.

If you have neighbors like I used to have I am sure it could be considered "Proactive and preemptive"

I swear I tried to find a legal definition for "retroactive abortion".

Fred Hansen
05-19-2013, 01:48
Beating people with tire irons? Buckshot, apply as necessary.I am inclined, in this instance, to suggest that it be *gasp* applied liberally.

:faint:

Texas357
05-28-2013, 00:36
(A) to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime; or

From Texas Penal Code.

djdavis75
07-16-2013, 22:07
I already want to shoot my neighbors, if they start rioting, that's just the excuse I've been waiting on. :supergrin:

Fred Hansen
07-16-2013, 23:12
You guys live in the wrong neighborhoods.

I would never live in a neighborhood where I thought my neighbors would riot, no matter what the provocation.

I have great respect for my neighbors, and they have great respect for me. They are honorable and non-violent people. We take care of each other.^^^This.^^^

My smartass answer was going to be:

[Looks out window, no riot in sight.]

A) My neighbors must already know my answer. :whistling:

kirgi08
07-16-2013, 23:18
You better get usta those tri-focals then.'08. :couch:

Fred Hansen
07-17-2013, 00:17
:fred:

kirgi08
07-17-2013, 02:32
Flintstone I reckon.'08. :whistling:

Kichigai
07-17-2013, 05:21

:wow:staying out of this guys neighborhood. If they were harming others i would def try to help. If they tried harming me and my family it wouldnt go well for them.

crazycathed
10-19-2013, 10:11
a couple shots from one of my 50's loaded with HP rounds would stop that real quick
don't get me wrong. when the riots happened here. I loaded up with bean bag and rubber bullet rounds. I have a 1216 and one mag would be loaded with bean bag, rock salt etc. if it didn't deter them the other mags would be loaded with select nasties.

Angry Fist
10-19-2013, 10:13
I don't want to shoot anyone, but when the chips are down....

JimIsland
10-19-2013, 10:43
I wouldn't start shooting to protect my car, boat...whatever else is in the front/back yard. However, if you damage my home to the extent that it has become compromised..ie break a window, smash a door, etc. my AR 15 is going to get hot very quickly. G20 is going to get a good workout as well.

gunowner1
10-19-2013, 11:29
I wouldn't start shooting to protect my car, boat...whatever else is in the front/back yard. However, if you damage my home to the extent that it has become compromised..ie break a window, smash a door, etc. my AR 15 is going to get hot very quickly. G20 is going to get a good workout as well.

That's the exact combo I would use!

Diesel McBadass
10-19-2013, 11:33
If you have to shoot, you have to shoot. Simple as that.

Sent from my SCH-R830 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

pipedreams
10-19-2013, 11:40

This......................

cajun_chooter
01-29-2014, 10:58
keeping my answer simple.. DAMM STRAIGHT..

THEPOPE
01-29-2014, 19:48
Anyone trying to injure my family or our refuge will pay dearly with a few 'peace pills'...

Push and I may resist...push too hard and I will resist with extreme prejudice...

fer now, I'm out....:cool:

maxmanta
02-05-2014, 14:37
Don't even know what they look like.

OMCHamlin
03-09-2014, 11:59
Yes, if I HAD too........

:cool:

Yes, if I COULD...

wrenrj1
03-09-2014, 12:45
Not at first, I'd prefer to use the art of persuasion and then my Ninja skills.

cajun_chooter
03-09-2014, 13:39
Dam Straight.. in a heartbeat I would

Revvv
03-09-2014, 14:25

No thinking involved, I would shut them down to protect others and myself.

Sent by Morse code using rocks and cup phones.

hunter 111
03-09-2014, 15:14
I would fall to my knees and pray for them......

Krav Maglock
03-09-2014, 22:04
Now that is how I think. :supergrin:

Well said.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Ohub Campfire mobile app

John Rambo
03-10-2014, 19:41

Sure. I'd just have to put down my Kerosene and baseball bat first.

Jack Ryan
03-10-2014, 19:57
If you shoot all the young healthy and spry ones then who will pedal your generators?

kostnerave
03-10-2014, 21:55
+1:rofl:

BobbyS
08-09-2014, 03:34
Cojone shots would work nicely. :whistling:

Yeah! Remember when Dirty Harry nails the guy in the sack with his 44 mag when he tries to get away up the stairs?

:rofl:

azbuckeye
08-09-2014, 07:06
Yes...if they're a real threat to my family.