Stress Fire Reload. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Stress Fire Reload.

NEOH212
04-15-2012, 17:38
Mas, I got into thinking about something concerning the Stress Fire Reload for revolvers. I have practiced this technique to the point of darn near perfection. It works very well for me.

I was wondering how this technique works with a revolver with a bobbed hammer converted to DAO? It would seem to me that the shooters right hand would slip off the gun up over the rear sight and cause him/her to possibly loose their grip on the gun.

Is this a legitimate concern? If so, is there any way to mitigate the problem?

(By the way, what you said in the Stress Fire video about using the old reloading technique and burning you fingers on the forcing cone is a very real problem! Many years ago when I was learning to shoot a revolver and before I saw your videos, I dropped the 586 .357 Mag that I was shooting after severely burning my fingers!)

After that, I was glad to learn how to do it the right way!

Also, Concerning carrying speed loaders and tactical reloads, I have 3 questions.

1. I use HKS speed loaders. Is there any advantage to the other speed loaders on the market? I'm speaking from the standpoint of a armed citizen and from the aspect of concealed carry.

2. I'm right handed. I carry my speed loaders on my left side.

In your stress fire videos, you are carrying your speed loaders on your strong side. Is there any disadvantage of carrying on the weak side and should I be carrying my speed loaders on my strong side?

3. Do you have any advice for one handed reloads with a revolver? (Right hand shooter.)

I have been taught several techniques over the years but I was wondering what technique you use and if one has a major advantage over the other.

I know I have just hit you with a lot of questions here. I don't expect a lengthy answer so don't worry about being brief in response. If you have any videos/books on the subject(s), I would really like to know about them so I can go find them!

As always, thanks for the advice and making yourself available to all of us here!

Take care.

Deanna. :wavey:

Mas Ayoob
04-15-2012, 18:31
Deanna, bobbed or shrouded hammer is no problem. Just hold the gun firmly and bring the web of the hand up under the rear sight. Key thing is to keep the thumb up, where it can hold the cylinder all the way out of the frame to allow for a clean ejection.

Answering your other questions in order:

1. I've found nothing more durable than the HKS in a speedloader, and reliability is the non-negotiable baseline, so that's what I always had on the duty belt when I carried a revolver for the police department. The Safariland and Jetloader are faster, and I use Safariland Comp IIIs in competition. They're reliable enough to trust for the street, but bulkier to carry on the belt.

2. Speedloading is dexterity-intensive, so I strongly recommend carrying them where the dominant hand can reach them. Opposite hip is awkward for most men, but you as a female have more advantages than living seven years longer than us guys. One of those advantages is that the higher pelvis and greater pelvic range of movement lets you reach across the body easier than males, the same reason cross-draw and shoulder holsters often work better for gals than guys. If they're where your right hand can reach them quickly, no problem.

3. The one-handed reload is easier to teach visually than verbally. I'm away from my office at the moment and can't verify, but I believe one-hand-only revolver reloads can be found in my book StressFire, or Gun Digest Book of Combat Handgunnery, both available on Amazon. I've also demonstrated both on Personal Defense TV, older episodes of which should be available on DVD. You can find them via Google. IIRC, one was demonstrated in Season Four and the other, Season Five.

Best wishes,
Mas

NEOH212
04-15-2012, 18:47
Thanks, Mas. I appreciate the info.

I have one more question. Do you have any ideas on who makes the most concealable single of dual speed loader carrier?

I always carry on the belt and never in a purse so carry of ammo off the body isn't a option.

Tanks again! :wavey:

Mas Ayoob
04-15-2012, 20:38
Something that carries 3 on the inner side of the belt and the other three cartridges on the outside always seems to give the best concealment for a speedloader on the belt. Single most concealable (and very fast!) is the wire one designed for HKS loaders like yours by my old friend Ted Blocker. Ted himself is well into a well-earned retirement,but last I knew, Ted Blocker Holsters (might be Ted Blocker Leather) was still making them.

A close second are the flap-over type which still have half the ammo supply on your side of the belt and half over the outside. Safariland and DeSantis have offered them, along with others.

best,
Mas

NEOH212
04-15-2012, 22:33
Thanks Mas. I'll check those out. :wavey:

NEOH212
04-16-2012, 16:47
Mas, I checked out the Ted Blocker website and I think I found what you were talking about. Please check the link here and let me know.

Thanks.

http://www.tedblockerholsters.com/product.cfm?pi=5D8CA196-A397-3B9E-2E30501B95B7FBB3