Question from troubled Atheist/Agnostic [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Question from troubled Atheist/Agnostic

ubimow
04-16-2012, 04:22
...Nevermind, I don't want dumbass responses like Bren gave. The people here seem to have way to much paranoia and emotional problems for a logical discussion about personal issues.

Bren
04-16-2012, 04:40
Lately, I've been waking up with panic attacks realizing that one day I am going to die and I will cease to exist for all eternity. The fear, despair, and hopelessness that I have been feeling because of this has really taken a toll on me. I feel like nothing in this world matters because its all for nothing anyway. Life is so short and then ...nothing forever.

Why would that cause you stress? You are posting the typical christian lie about what they imagine an atheist should feel, based on their religion. This looks more like a christian spouting the nonsense they make up to comfort themselves and trying to troll up atheists to argue with.

In short, I believe your entire post is false.

ubimow
04-16-2012, 04:48
Why would that cause you stress? You are posting the typical christian lie about what they imagine an atheist should feel, based on their religion. This looks more like a christian spouting the nonsense they make up to comfort themselves and trying to troll up atheists to argue with.

In short, I believe your entire post is false.

Wow, thanks for being an *******. I believe you are a complete and total retard.

And also...why the hell would I be making something like that up? Are you seriously that stupid? Guess I should have known better than think some asshat wouldn't be a ****** for asking a personal question.

BTW, if you looked at my post count and looked at any of my posts you would know I'm not some troll and you wouldn't look like a complete moron.

Gunhaver
04-16-2012, 05:39
Hey, I know how you feel. I mean, I never go to see a movie because they all end. Same with songs. In fact I try to never enjoy anything because it will all end.

Seriously dude, there are some animals that are smart enough to understand their own mortality but not quite smart enough to deal with it and just ride the ride til the wheels fall off. Try not to be one of those animals because I have seen them and they are depressing as hell.

http://0.media.collegehumor.cvcdn.com/10/50/collegehumor.3855ce8af08e2a7cf77c1f95f6f6ee10.jpg

And if that doesn't do it for you then do what I do. Come here around once a day and try to make creationists understand the simplest of concepts. By the end of it all you'll be so damn tired of life on this planet that you'll be happy to go.

Bren
04-16-2012, 05:49
Wow, thanks for being an *******. I believe you are a complete and total retard.

And also...why the hell would I be making something like that up? Are you seriously that stupid? Guess I should have known better than think some asshat wouldn't be a ****** for asking a personal question.

BTW, if you looked at my post count and looked at any of my posts you would know I'm not some troll and you wouldn't look like a complete moron.

Must be the result of your upbringing, then, that you are as simple as your first post makes you seem and your second post confirms. BTW, plenty of trolls and baiters on this forum with more posts than you.

Maybe you have the brain that is predisposed to religious belief, that we hear about in research. Some irrational need to have a supernatural "purpose." Tough luck - you are alive, that's all - someday you will die, that's all. If you are having panic attacks about what an atheist would find comforting (that life just ends) then you aren't an atheist. Quit fooling yourself and pick some religion to "believe" in - any one will do, but you'll always think the one you were raised in is right, so you may as well go back to church.

ArtificialGrape
04-16-2012, 06:39
Any chance that you've seen the Atheist Gone Wild thread (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1415338) and watched the video? It does cause your post to seem quite suspect -- as if the gorilla had a GlockTalk account.

How long have you been agnostic or atheist, and what led you to that?

-ArtificialGrape

eracer
04-16-2012, 06:49
Hey uibimow. Get familiar with quantum physics.

"The Dancing Wu Li Masters," by Gary Zukav, is a great place to start.

Once you begin to comprehend the strange and wonderful truths that science is revealing, you will begin to cast off the fear and guilt that trouble you.

Geko45
04-16-2012, 07:37
Having been a believer for most of my life, when I finally realized it was all a sham, I went through a phase similar to what you describe (although, from the sound of it, not quite as severe). The good news is that it was just a phase and it passes with time. I'm now in a place where I am quite content with life and determined to make the best of the time I have left.

If you have recently become an athiest/agnostic then you are just working through the mental process of incorporating this newly discovered truth into your worldview. It is a jarring and violent mental process to give up a deeply held belief. I equate my experience to others as almost like mourning the "death" of god. First denial, "No, this can't be right!" Then bargaining, "God, if you are there help me understand." Then grief, "Wow, I really am all alone here." And then, finally, acceptance, "I'm going to do the best I can with what limited time I have."

I hope that helps. Life is precious and you only have a limited amount. It's your choice whether to fill it with joy or with misery.

Bren
04-16-2012, 07:55
Having been a believer for most of my life, when I finally realized it was all a sham, I went through a phase similar to what you describe (although, from the sound of it, not quite as severe).

I have never been a believer, so maybe that's why I assumed it was a troll post. If the OP really thinks like that, it is probably too alien for me to understand. The idea of being afraid that there is nothing more after death is as strange and incomprehensible to me as people who are afraid to be in the same house with a gun or people afraid of a picture of a snake...or people who believe invisible, supernatural spirits are responsible for everything that happens.

Geko45
04-16-2012, 08:01
The idea of being afraid that there is nothing more after death is as strange and incomprehensible to me as people who are afraid to be in the same house with a gun ...

Indeed, but the false hope that religion promises is even more insidous than the difficulty in shedding its dogmas and throwing it off. Like the gun control advocate that falsely assumes that gun control laws will protect them from crime only to have their eyes suddenly and violently opened to reality when they become a victim and have no way to defend themselves.

That's the best way I can think of to describe it to you.

Celtic Pride
04-16-2012, 13:35
I am just coming back to this board after some time away. Wow! Some of you guys are tough. The man asks a question that is important to him and you crush him like a child, and others sit by and watch in silence. That is neither Christian nor moral (as you non believers like to hang your hats on)

As a Christian believer on this board I guess I better get ready for an old school whipping. I almost cant wait.

ubimow - You hang in there man. Not all of us here have the great minds and answers to this life that some seem to have. I guess spouting Christian "non sense" will be my downfall on this board too. Oh well, we will see. I miss my old debates with Heretic - a most worthy debator and always a gentleman. He appears to be sadly missed.

Geko45
04-16-2012, 13:41
Wow! Some of you guys are tough.

Hey, I told you that "civil discourse" was a refreshing change of pace here!

:supergrin:

Ubimow, you might have gotten unfairly slammed, but most of the guys here are pretty good. The way you worded your initial post triggered some suspicion (mostly because of the way previous debates here have gone), but hang in there! Another point of view is always welcome.

Celtic Pride
04-16-2012, 13:46
Hey, I told you that "civil discourse" was a refreshing change of pace here!

:wow:

Man, you were not kidding !!!!

I predict I will be in debate with many from your side very soon ;)

IhRedrider
04-16-2012, 18:04
ubimow

Don't listen to the haters who only wish to tear people down. They are children of their father, the great deceiver, and are doing his work. I would say that God is calling to you, quiet your life and listen, he will reveal the truth to you. It may come through people you would never expect. You seem to be an intelligent man and should be able to decipher when a man is trying to control you. Good luck and never stop searching for the truth, it is a lifetime quest. Peace to you.

Lone Wolf8634
04-16-2012, 19:47
Lately, I've been waking up with panic attacks realizing that one day I am going to die and I will cease to exist for all eternity. The fear, despair, and hopelessness that I have been feeling because of this has really taken a toll on me. I feel like nothing in this world matters because its all for nothing anyway. Life is so short and then ...nothing forever.

Ubimow:

You're thinking about this way too much. Everyone dies. Yes, IMO, at that time you will cease to exist.

But here's a different way to look at it.

Remember back before you were born? No? Thats because you didn't exist. What were your cares? Your worries? where was the strife and pain? They were non existent.

As for the good times? Thats what the here and now is for. Enjoy your life, do what makes you happy and make sure you can look yourself in the face.

When the time comes, you'll be ready for the whole thing to be over.

Jackalo626
04-16-2012, 19:54

This is the post of the guy you all are defending LOL:upeyes:

Kingarthurhk
04-17-2012, 05:50

Yes. When someone is going through something and receives a flippant response in return, anger is often a very natural response.

A gentle response typically doesn't bring wrath.

Bren
04-17-2012, 06:01
Yes. When someone is going through something and receives a flippant response in return, anger is often a very natural response.

Then I reckon he should have found a gentler place to post.

Celtic Pride
04-17-2012, 10:44

I never defended his post. I was just surprised by some of the responses he received. Although, now that you mention it, it does seem reasonable for the replies he was given. In my opinion he should not have cursed the man the way he did ....... but then again, he never claimed to be a Christian :cool:

Kingarthurhk
04-17-2012, 12:40
Then I reckon he should have found a gentler place to post.

I guess compassion is an alien trait to some.

Jackalo626
04-17-2012, 16:29

So you are advocating anger when you get an opposing view calling it natural and wanting to bring wrath by your response above. Aren't the guys that say this usually terrorists? Also would your God be very proud of the person cursing their fellow brothers? You know it's wrong but defend away....

Jackalo626
04-17-2012, 16:30
I guess compassion is an alien trait to some.
Compassion for the one who called others names and cursed. Very fair indeed.

Jackalo626
04-17-2012, 16:35
I am not even picking a side and live a peaceful life but am amazed at how guys fight over religion and what someone does and doesn't believe. The part that is humorous to me is the people believing in something more than this earth and being moral are the culprits of name calling and judging (which is one of the main things that a major religion tells you NOT to do).

Tilley
04-17-2012, 21:02
Howdy ubimow!

Don't let these soul-less zombies get you down. They are all led by the nose by their father in hell and can see that you are truly looking for the light of God.

They are afraid to lose you to God.

Fear is a commodity Satan lays on people who are near to the light. Satan whispers in your ear and leads you into a pit of hopelessness.

I have been there, and it stinks.

I can't save you, nor Vic or any of the other good people here. You need to go to a place in private and peace and ask God to come into your life.

You know you are a sinner, me too...and God knows it as well. Confess to God who you are and ask for forgiveness. Ask for HIS peace, not as the world gives, but as He does.

Ask Him into your life. His Promise is this, "All who call upon the name of the Lord will be saved."

Turn your back on the things you already know in your heart to be wrong. He will help you. He already loves you and is waiting at the door of your life to be your Lord and Savior.

Welcome to this forum...and try not to let the zombies get under your skin. After awhile they are quite funny...in a "lookatmeiamgoingtohell" kind of a way.:supergrin:

Tilley
04-17-2012, 21:07
BTW, plenty of trolls and baiters on this forum with more posts than you

Some even have more than 22,000! :rofl:

Jackalo626
04-17-2012, 21:38
Wow the nastiest name calling people here are the so called religious people calling others "zombies" etc. for believing different than them. I think God would be quite dissapointed in your compassion for others views. Oh well I am out of this one and you guys have a nice night religious or not.

Tilley
04-17-2012, 21:47
Wow the nastiest name calling people here are the so called religious people calling others "zombies" etc. for believing different than them. I think God would be quite dissapointed in your compassion for others views. Oh well I am out of this one and you guys have a nice night religious or not.

I don't blame you...these guys are horrible! :dunno:

ArtificialGrape
04-17-2012, 22:26
Ask Him into your life. His Promise is this, "All who call upon the name of the Lord will be saved."

Yeah, but he also says things like, "if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you.", so I would take that with a Lot's wife sized grain of salt. :cool:

-ArtificialGrape

Kingarthurhk
04-18-2012, 05:14
So you are advocating anger when you get an opposing view calling it natural and wanting to bring wrath by your response above. Aren't the guys that say this usually terrorists? Also would your God be very proud of the person cursing their fellow brothers? You know it's wrong but defend away....

No, what I am saying, is when someone is going through something extreme and is then mocked for reaching out, the natural response is anger.

But, I don't expect compassion or understanding from those who are totally self-absorbed.

Had I said such arrogant things to someone in pain, and recieved an angry response I would have felt bad for being cruel.

I guess that is what seperates us.

BlayGlock
04-18-2012, 06:34
Having been a believer for most of my life, when I finally realized it was all a sham, I went through a phase similar to what you describe (although, from the sound of it, not quite as severe). The good news is that it was just a phase and it passes with time. I'm now in a place where I am quite content with life and determined to make the best of the time I have left.

If you have recently become an athiest/agnostic then you are just working through the mental process of incorporating this newly discovered truth into your worldview. It is a jarring and violent mental process to give up a deeply held belief. I equate my experience to others as almost like mourning the "death" of god. First denial, "No, this can't be right!" Then bargaining, "God, if you are there help me understand." Then grief, "Wow, I really am all alone here." And then, finally, acceptance, "I'm going to do the best I can with what limited time I have."

I hope that helps. Life is precious and you only have a limited amount. It's your choice whether to fill it with joy or with misery.

Wow that is an incredible post. Thank you for sharing.

Geko45
04-18-2012, 09:36
Wow that is an incredible post. Thank you for sharing.

Thanks, I hope it didn't fall on deaf ears (for the most part).

Tilley
04-18-2012, 10:09
Thanks, I hope it didn't fall on deaf ears (for the most part).

What you went through was the same things we all go through. If I ask you a question here, I know eventually when you visit here, you will answer me. I ask God, "Lord, do I make a right or a left...but hurry up cuz here comes the intersection..."

...no answer.

Both Christian and atheist has to agree that Mother Teresa was a very righteous person. Yet in her own words, she felt little contact with God. She thought no matter what she did it wasnt good enough. She did not feel the closeness with God she thought she should have, and maybe it was a fault in her faith.

I am sure there were more than a few first century Christians who asked God for help while looking into the mouth of a hungry lion. While love is stronger than fear, fear is more prevalent.

I don't know why you rejected God, but you should reexamine it. God is still there with you, still faithful. You seem like a good guy...a prodigal son?

Ps. While I can understand how you feel, I also know God loves me. When I go through bad times, I know he is with me, and things will work out for my good. It may not be how I want it, but in the long run, it will be good and someday I will understand why things had to go that way. Keep the faith brother.