Religulous [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Religulous

Bren
04-16-2012, 13:00
Has anybody seen Bill Maher's movie Religulous?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religulous

I avoided it for years because I really, really hate Bill Maher and consider him a left-wing POS on par with Rosie O'Donnel.

however, yesterday I started it on netflix and watched about the first 20 minutes and it is really, really good. It probably won't make religious people happy, but there is good on both sides and even among apparently uneducated folks in a "trucker's chapel," Bill was reasonable and gave credit where it was due. At the point I decided to wait to watch the whole thing when my wife had time to watch it too, he was talkliing to a black televangelist about why Jesus wanted him to sear expensive lizard shoes and a lot of gold (the televangelist's argument, not Maher's). The only guy I saw get mad was one who was angry that Bill asked why it was a good thing to believe without evidence ("faith").

So far, well worth watching for education and entertainment.

Celtic Pride
04-16-2012, 14:29
I avoided it for years because I really, really hate Bill Maher and consider him a left-wing POS on par with Rosie O'Donnel.

The fact that he targets the relatively uneducated and pastors with gold teeth to use as examples of "Christians" tells a great deal of his bias against believers.

I think you would be better served in the long run with your initial impression of Bill Maher. Its much more accurate than what he is attempting to portray as Christianity. Thanks for the comment though ...... it seems we might have something in common after all.

Harper
04-16-2012, 15:14
The fact that he targets the relatively uneducated and pastors with gold teeth to use as examples of "Christians" tells a great deal of his bias against believers.

Yeah, I tried to watch and couldn't. It's clear he's trying to portray religious people as stupid because that's what the main body of his fan base already thinks. He's just selling a product to a certain demographic. Nothing wrong with trying to make a buck but if you're looking for an intellectual discussion you'll have to look somewhere else.

GRIMLET
04-16-2012, 15:17
I liked it.
You don't think he could have an intellectual debate/conversation?
Yes, I do watch Real Time. I also listen to Rush. I find things I agree and disagree with both. Fox news, CNN, MSNBC. I watch all of them.
I also read Aljazeera on my phone. You see stories there nowhere in the mainstream media.

We shouldn't just listen, read or watch things we agree with. Open your mind to new thought for YOU to decide if its for you or not.
Be educated about your opinions.

Celtic Pride
04-16-2012, 16:06
I liked it.

Sure he could. He seems intelligent enough. I do believe that he operates with a liberal agenda, and liberals are not part of the conservative religious right. Thats how he leans. No problem with a man saying what he feels. I just dont typically mesh well with people that share his ideology.

Celtic Pride
04-16-2012, 16:12
I also read Aljazeera on my phone. You see stories there nowhere in the mainstream media.

We shouldn't just listen, read or watch things we agree with. Open your mind to new thought for YOU to decide if its for you or not.

Truthfully, I have not read any Aljazeera or any other muslim news outlets for that matter. Call me narrow minded, but I dont think those media outlets have much to offer me in the way of an unbiased educated opinion. I mean no offense to those of you that choose to listen to Aljazeera, but personally .... my mind doesnt stretch that far open.

GRIMLET
04-16-2012, 16:15
I must have misunderstood your post.

He does have a very left/liberal lean.
Did you know he has mentioned owning a firearm for home self defense?

Everyone is entitled to their own thoughts and faith without ridicule, from either side. Those thoughts and beliefs should not be pushed on others.

GRIMLET
04-16-2012, 16:20
Truthfully, I have not read any Aljazeera or any other muslim news outlets for that matter. Call me narrow minded, but I dont think those media outlets have much to offer me in the way of an unbiased educated opinion. I mean no offense to those of you that choose to listen to Aljazeera, but personally .... my mind doesnt stretch that far open.

You would be surprised how middle of the road it is. No rhetoric at all.
I won't call you narrow minded.
You are not comfortable hearing different views on things.
That's ok.

Altaris
04-16-2012, 17:06
That's ok.

I agree. I used to read it(along with many other news pages), just to try and get all sides. I was always surprised how informative a lot of the stories were compared to Fox/CNN. I haven't read it in a while though, so who knows if it has changed.

As far as Maher goes, I just can't stand him. Sure, most of what he says I totally disagree with since he is an extreme left wing guy, but even the stuff I do agree with him on I can't listen to. He is just such an arrogant condescending dueche bag on how he talks that I just can't take it.... Even on topics I do agree on, like religion and 9/11 being an inside job(which is something he thinks is absurd as well).

Celtic Pride
04-16-2012, 17:24
That's ok.

No, I didnt mean to imply that you called me narrow minded. I said it about myself. I am very conservative on some issues like Christianity for example, but on other issues I am really more of a moderate. With that said, I dont mind opposing views. Thats why I am here. I believe that my views will be in the minority, but I am ok with that. I enjoy respectful debate.

I do believe that "middle of the road" views are a matter of opinion. Depending on your political beliefs, liberal or conservative determines just how wide that road is. My road just isnt built for Aljazeera at this time. I respect the fact that yours is.

GRIMLET
04-16-2012, 18:21
Thanks for the kind words.

Celtic Pride, one of my favorite basketball players is Kevin McHale.

Harper
04-16-2012, 19:40
I liked it.
Yes, I do watch Real Time. I also listen to Rush. I find things I agree and disagree with both. Fox news, CNN, MSNBC. I watch all of them.

I spend more time researching things I disagree with than things I do. Maher probably is capable of an intellectual debate but that's not what Religulous is.

Lone Wolf8634
04-16-2012, 19:52
I avoided it forever. But Netflix has it, and I was bored.

I still can't stand Bill Maher.

Although it was mildly amusing in places.

ArtificialGrape
04-16-2012, 19:55
I find Maher nearly intolerable, and thought that the movie was okay. I have not seen either for awhile, but I found The God Who Wasn't There to be a better movie.

-ArtificialGrape

GRIMLET
04-16-2012, 20:16
I spend more time researching things I disagree.

Edited. Sorry I was rude.

Harper
04-16-2012, 20:45
Edited. Sorry I was rude.

I read it before you edited it. I think you misread my post.

GRIMLET
04-16-2012, 20:54
Perhaps. Sorry for being rude.

janice6
04-16-2012, 20:55
Franken is a comedian too and as intelligent.

fgutie35
04-17-2012, 07:25
Has anybody seen Bill Maher's movie Religulous?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religulous

however, yesterday I started it on netflix and watched about the first 20 minutes and it is really, really good. It probably won't make religious people happy, but there is good on both sides and even among apparently uneducated folks in a "trucker's chapel," Bill was reasonable and gave credit where it was due. At the point I decided to wait to watch the whole thing when my wife had time to watch it too, he was talkliing to a black televangelist about why Jesus wanted him to sear expensive lizard shoes and a lot of gold (the televangelist's argument, not Maher's). The only guy I saw get mad was one who was angry that Bill asked why it was a good thing to believe without evidence ("faith").

So far, well worth watching for education and entertainment.

Buddy, there is a reason why he interviews the gold teeth pastor with the spinning rims, and not a seasoned vatican theologist. Bill know exactly how IGNORAMUS he is when it comes to religion. So he takes on people he feels confident to outsmart. I was watching the other day one of his shows where there was an Atheist guess and not even the atheist would agree with his anti-religion ideas. That in itself should tell you something about the guy. He is just a viscious liberal who uses his mouth to spew hate on those who don't think like him.

eracer
04-17-2012, 07:34
I liked it.

Be educated about your opinions.You are far too sensible for this place. Please save yourself from the large knot on your forehead that will appear soon.

eracer
04-17-2012, 07:36
Buddy, there is a reason why he interviews the gold teeth pastor with the spinning rims, and not a seasoned vatican theologist. Bill know exactly how IGNORAMUS he is when it comes to religion. So he takes on people he feels confident to outsmart. I was watching the other day one of his shows where there was an Atheist guess and not even the atheist would agree with his anti-religion ideas. That in itself should tell you something about the guy. He is just a viscious liberal who uses his mouth to spew hate on those who don't think like him.Dear God, the irony in this post is overwhelming.

lomfs24
04-17-2012, 08:10
I watched the movie and was mildly amused in places. However, my wife watched it with me and it got her started thinking about the ridiculousness of religion which is a plus.

Bren
04-17-2012, 12:29
Dear God, the irony in this post is overwhelming.

Sometimes it goes so far, even I have no response.