(possible) Origin of Life. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : (possible) Origin of Life.

Gunhaver
04-16-2012, 14:57
Seems legit...
The Origin of Life - Abiogenesis - Dr. Jack Szostak - YouTube

Geko45
04-16-2012, 15:17
A very interesting presentation. I've always thought it was foolish to assume that all life must work exactly the way that present day life does.

Gunhaver
04-16-2012, 15:28
Well, I never assumed that a tornado could blow through a scrapyard and assemble a working 747 but a Wright flyer? That's a different story. :supergrin:

Geko45
04-16-2012, 15:32
Well, I never assumed that a tornado could blow through a scrapyard and assemble a working 747 but a Wright flyer? That's a different story. :supergrin:

<--- Or perhaps one of these.

Roering
04-16-2012, 15:54
I do love a good science fiction novel from time to time but the movies and videos never do them justice.

Gunhaver
04-16-2012, 16:42
<--- Or perhaps one of these.

I thought about going there but I know how much you love your plane.

Gunhaver
04-16-2012, 16:56
I do love a good science fiction novel from time to time but the movies and videos never do them justice.

Did you see any fiction in that video? Can you point it out?

Seriously, I'm no chemist but if all that stuff reacts the way they show it in the video them we have a serious Occam's Razor situation.

Gunhaver
04-16-2012, 18:22
This one is pure genius I think and the music is much better. I'm hoping to get some opinions from people smarter than me on these videos. I don't know how accurate they are but if you see anything wrong let me know.

Evolution IS a Blind Watchmaker - YouTube

Lone Wolf8634
04-16-2012, 19:15
Those are really cool, thanks for posting them.

ArtificialGrape
04-16-2012, 19:27
I continue to learn things here. I had you pegged as a fan of straight up fiction -- no science. :cool:

Vic Hays
04-17-2012, 21:36
Did you see any fiction in that video? Can you point it out?

Seriously, I'm no chemist but if all that stuff reacts the way they show it in the video them we have a serious Occam's Razor situation.

Has anyone actually gone beyond the theory to prove any of this in the lab?

Has anyone seen one of these vacuoles increase in complexity and compete with other vacuoles?

Has anyone proven that these things can reproduce themselves?

Even if they could this is not life.

I thought you were into proof and science.

Tilley
04-17-2012, 22:18
1. You can't get blood from a turnip.

2. You can't get good morals from an atheist.

3. You can't get get life from non-life.

Gunhaver
04-17-2012, 22:35
Has anyone actually gone beyond the theory to prove any of this in the lab?

Has anyone seen one of these vacuoles increase in complexity and compete with other vacuoles?

Has anyone proven that these things can reproduce themselves?

Even if they could this is not life

I thought you were into proof and science.

I don't know how tested these theories are but they can be tested which makes them a far cry better than another 'theory' that's been put out there.

Geko45
04-18-2012, 07:16
1. You can't get blood from a turnip.

2. You can't get good morals from an atheist.

3. You can't get get life from non-life.

What? We playing "which of these statements is not like the others?"

GreenDrake
04-18-2012, 07:59

:laughabove:

Vic Hays
04-18-2012, 09:03
I don't know how tested these theories are but they can be tested which makes them a far cry better than another 'theory' that's been put out there.

My biology textbook said they had been tested and life only comes from life. People used to think that life could come from non life until it was tested. Pasteur came up with pasteurization and sterile techniques based on his proven theories.

Gunhaver
04-18-2012, 10:29
My biology textbook said they had been tested and life only comes from life. People used to think that life could come from non life until it was tested. Pasteur came up with pasteurization and sterile techniques based on his proven theories.

Exactly which of those chemical reactions presented in the video does your biology textbook claim is incorrect? Pasture only proved that the conditions inside a sealed container of sterilized food would not produce life. There are many different conditions present in the universe that have not been tested.

Tilley
04-18-2012, 10:59

You can't get life from non-life.

English
04-18-2012, 11:12

When I read the first part of the above I thought you were talking about some creationist biology textbook and then I realised you were just misunderstanding real biology.

Prior to Pasteur almost everyone believed that life in the form of magots spontaneously generated itself on meat and cheese and they knew, I believe, that those maggots turned into various kinds of flies. They also believed that moulds and things that made cold soup go bad and smell bad arose from the same kind of process. Pasteur showed that these ideas about moulds were false and showed with his swan neck flask experiment that these forms of life were not part of air itself but were heavier than air even though they were carried by air.

What Pasteur showed was that a flask of sterilised soup exposed to the air via a swan neck remained sterile not just for weeks but for years. The difference between this and the spontaneous creation of life by successive simple steps in a sterile world is the product of over a billion years and the interaction of billions as many molecules..

The often repeated bleats asking, "Has anyone done this in a lab?" are meaningless blather since we don't have the resources of labs or time to do such a thing. Let us guess at nature having something between a trillion and a trillion trillion times as many chances to produce life from non life as a lab. I can never decide whether those people think they are asking a pertinent question or they really cannot understand the scale on which the first form of life developed. For people who believe the Earth is only some 6,000,000 years old, that snakes and donkeys could talk and that men lived at the same time as dinosaurs, that misunderstanding is not too hard to comprehend.

English

Tilley
04-18-2012, 11:46
This planet was created from inorganic material. Somewhere along the line, amino acids were introduced. The million dollar question is where did they come from.

Gunhaver
04-18-2012, 13:53
This planet was created from inorganic material. Somewhere along the line, amino acids were introduced. The million dollar question is where did they come from.

They formed.

Gunhaver
04-18-2012, 13:54

Maybe a bigger font would make it true?

ArtificialGrape
04-18-2012, 18:45
All the amino acids necessary for life on earth (and many more) have been found on meteorites. Any thoughts on where they came from?

Tilley
04-18-2012, 22:00
All the amino acids necessary for life on earth (and many more) have been found on meteorites. Any thoughts on where they came from?

GOD

according to Gunhaver, this makes me right

muscogee
04-19-2012, 07:06

Why not?