Michigan lottery winner charged with welfare fraud [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Michigan lottery winner charged with welfare fraud

snerd
04-17-2012, 10:41
The hardcore entitlement mentality........

A 25-year-old woman from Lincoln Park (http://content.usatoday.com/topics/topic/Lincoln+Park), Mich., who continued to collect food stamps after winning the state lottery's $1 million Make Me Rich! game show has been charged with two felonies for welfare fraud, Attorney General Bill Schuette said Tuesday.

Amanda Clayton, whose use of a food stamp bridge card was uncovered earlier this year by WDIV-TV, was to be arraigned Tuesday on charges of failing to inform welfare officials of her winnings or the fact that she was employed for five months in 2011, Schuette said in a joint announcement with Director Maura Corrigan of the Michigan Department of Human Services.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2012-04-17/lottery-winner-welfare-fraud

aircarver
04-17-2012, 10:46
Has Obamao made a statement about this miscarriage of justice yet ? .....:whistling:

snerd
04-17-2012, 11:01
Has Obamao made a statement about this miscarriage of justice yet ? .....:whistling:

I'm sure they were acting stupidly when they charged her. We should have a food stamp summit...... more folks are on them now than at any time in our history. Invite them all for beer and government cheese!

aircarver
04-17-2012, 11:04
.... Invite them all for beer and government cheese!

Make sure Moochelle attends that .... she needs to see how the other 99% lives .....:upeyes:

cowboy1964
04-17-2012, 11:18
I believe her excuse was that her lottery winnings weren't actually "income" so that's why she continued to take the welfare.

Good to see her charged. This kind of crap has to stop, we're broke.

snerd
04-17-2012, 11:21
I believe her excuse was that her lottery winnings weren't actually "income" so that's why she continued to take the welfare.....
She needs a tax refresher. I believe it's considered "unearned income".

evlbruce
04-17-2012, 11:24
Never would have been caught had it not been on the news.

Bren
04-17-2012, 11:47

If he had a daughter on food stamps, she'd look just like Amanda Clayton.:upeyes:

samurairabbi
04-17-2012, 11:59
She needs a tax refresher. I believe it's considered "unearned income".

Perhaps she could call it "investment income". She invested in a ticket, it earned a payoff. If she had waited 6 months before cashing in the ticket, she might have claimed she should pay taxes on it at the long-term capital gains rate!

I am kidding, of course ... or am I?

snerd
04-17-2012, 13:35
..... I am kidding, of course ... or am I?
With the current tax code? It's hard to tell.

CitizenOfDreams
04-17-2012, 13:38
Edit: Bren beat me to it. :rofl: