M&P Shield 9mm [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : M&P Shield 9mm

JimIsland
04-17-2012, 19:19
Who has one and how do you like it? I had one in my hand today at the LGS and really like the feel of it. As much as I love my G26/G33, this things feels like it would make a great summer time carry. Experiences and/or opinions?

Aahzz
04-17-2012, 19:51
There's a bunch of threads on this so far, settle in and start reading. Here's the range report on mine:
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1415057

Long story short, I'm thinking it's a great little gun and I love mine.

stmcelroy
04-17-2012, 21:49
Love mine.

Carrying it as much as possible, disappears under a t-shirt.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v655/stmcelroy/Kydex%20Holsters/575043_413789978632383_100000041537720_26026233_1350490637_n.jpg

bac1023
04-17-2012, 22:05
Wow, another Shield thread. :faint:

TSAX
04-17-2012, 22:22

You should see how many are on the XD, S&W and M&P sites :supergrin: I think there will be many more threads as more people get their hands on it and do reviews/reports.

:50cal:

GlockFish
04-17-2012, 22:28
What is this M&P "Shield" you speak of?

Folsom_Prison
04-17-2012, 23:39

Like I said in another thread Bac, there should be a sticky.

bac1023
04-18-2012, 05:58
I think there will be many more threads as more people get their hands on it and do reviews/reports.

No doubt

Aahzz
04-18-2012, 08:49
Love mine.

Carrying it as much as possible, disappears under a t-shirt.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v655/stmcelroy/Kydex%20Holsters/575043_413789978632383_100000041537720_26026233_1350490637_n.jpg

That pic increases my excitement for my holster to arrive :)

Rustin
04-18-2012, 10:33
There's a bunch of threads on this so far, settle in and start reading. Here's the range report on mine:
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1415057

Long story short, I'm thinking it's a great little gun and I love mine.

Quick question's. Do you carry? If so do you carry the shield over a pistol you used to carry? If yes, what pistol did you carry and why did you switch?

I have a G26 and I thought I had the perfect CC pistol until the shield came out. I know there were always small 9's out there but the reputation of these pocket rocket's always kept me from getting one. M&P reputation makes me think again. I might wait and get a shield or just sell my 26, :shocked:. I've put alot of thought into it and I think a slimmer gun would hide and carry easier on my slimmer build, but I'm a bit apprehensive about ditching the 26...

Aahzz
04-18-2012, 11:19
Quick question's. Do you carry? If so do you carry the shield over a pistol you used to carry? If yes, what pistol did you carry and why did you switch?

I have a G26 and I thought I had the perfect CC pistol until the shield came out. I know there were always small 9's out there but the reputation of these pocket rocket's always kept me from getting one. M&P reputation makes me think again. I might wait and get a shield or just sell my 26, :shocked:. I've put alot of thought into it and I think a slimmer gun would hide and carry easier on my slimmer build, but I'm a bit apprehensive about ditching the 26...

Quick answers:

Yes, I carry

Yes, I will be carrying the Shield over some other choices, which include a full-size M&P 9 that I got tired of carrying, and a S&W 3913. My most frequent companion is a S&W Bodyguard .380, and I see the Shield accompanying me more frequently, in some cases where only the Bodyguard would have done before. I've been carrying since 1993, and have had a wide variety of carry guns in the past, including a Glock 27, a Glock 19, Glock 26, Glock 21, S&W 6906, full sized 1911, Beretta 92, Sig P239, and Taurus PT111. A couple of Kel-Tecs and a revolver or two as well.

Why the choice of the Shield? I like the way it carries and I like the way it shoots. Most recently I had been carrying the M&P9, and was using off-body carry in a tactical man-purse, and I got tired of it. I've been looking for something compact and easy to carry on a belt or in my pocket. For me, thickness has always been a drawback in my carry guns - especially the 21! So, while looking at options like the Kel-Tec PF-9 or the Beretta Nano, they released the Shield. Given that I am a fan of S&W anyway, it seemed like the ideal pistol at the ideal time, and I love the way it shoots, handles, and carries. Given my past history, we'll see how long it remains as primary carry...

zackwatt
04-18-2012, 11:45

No kidding, wait 'till someone has a problem or defective one... :faint:

Rustin
04-18-2012, 12:23
Thanks Aahzz. I appreciate your input, you have alot of experience with carrying. That is quite a selection of guns you've carried over the years. I have already went from carrying a FS 1911, to Glock 19, to now current EDC Glock 26 in two short years of pistol ownership. (Also an FM detective hi-power I bought and sold but never carried.) I put a great deal of thought into each pistol and found out the hard way what I needed outweighed what I wanted. 1911 was too heavy for all day carry, and the G19 was harder to conceal than the 1911. I've been happy with the G26 so far, but I'm fast learning that it isn't the "no excuses", on-you-all-the-time pistol I thought it would be. The sheild isn't much smaller in overall size, but a quarter in an inch difference in girth is a huge advantage of the shield in my eyes, and a pistol that is concealable, controllable and reliable as the day is long, is the deciding factor for me. Thanks again.

zackwatt
04-18-2012, 12:27
...1911 was too heavy for all day carry...

Ever try an alloy one?

Rustin
04-18-2012, 12:53
Ever try an alloy one?

No I have not. I couldn't really find any good one's around. The springfield lightweight's were appealing to me, but they were had to find locally. My dream carry gun would probably be a lightweight Colt commander, sent off to some legendary gunsmith to be customized, in a milt sparks versa max ii. Although for practical purposes,cost being the main limiting factor,I prefer polymer 9mm's at this time in my life.

zackwatt
04-18-2012, 13:10
No I have not. I couldn't really find any good one's around. The springfield lightweight's were appealing to me, but they were had to find locally. My dream carry gun would probably be a lightweight Colt commander, sent off to some legendary gunsmith to be customized, in a milt sparks versa max ii. Although for practical purposes,cost being the main limiting factor,I prefer polymer 9mm's at this time in my life.

I just picked up a Kimber CDP II for summer IWB carry and I love it! I held the M&P Shield and the Kimber in the store together and they are very close, at least to me.

adamg01
04-18-2012, 13:35
If they shoot as accurately and as relaible as the Walther PPS, they are a great bargain at that price. That is the only thing wrong with the PPS and most Walthers is they are overpriced.

Hoepfully S&W worked all the bugs out and the launch will be smooth. I won't be replacing my PPS but I still like some options and new range reports.

stumpjumper
04-18-2012, 13:44
Just picked mine up today-will go to the range in the morning.

evilspringer
04-18-2012, 14:58
Like I said in another thread Bac, there should be a sticky.

Or maybe its own sub forum

tim12232
04-18-2012, 15:04
just put mine on layaway, should be picked up this friday or monday! Feels great in the hand trigger is pretty good out of the box, and reset is better than other M&P's ive felt. You can click on my name to the left of this post and find my Shield thread, I will have a review here in a few days!

JimIsland
04-18-2012, 15:22
Yeah, yeah.....I should have used the "search button". I just wanted to give you grumpy old bastiches something to whine about!

Thank you to those that responded that actually own one. Now I'll go back in my corner and go read all the "Shield" threads and skip through all the posts from people that don't even own one:tongueout:

Bruce M
04-18-2012, 15:28

Well it is Smith and Wesson's first attempt at a small concealable handgun...:whistling:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cd/Smith_and_Wesson_Model_1.jpg

Southswede
04-18-2012, 16:14
Yeah, yeah.....I should have used the "search button". I just wanted to give you grumpy old bastiches something to whine about!

Thank you to those that responded that actually own one. Now I'll go back in my corner and go read all the "Shield" threads and skip through all the posts from people that don't even own one:tongueout:

I got one Monday. I like it VERY much. Check with ATP. They had one left yesterday for $429.99

Crazy_Horse
04-18-2012, 19:49
I saw one today at my LGS, which is known to rape people on gun prices, they had one left at $499. After i regained consciousness i held it and dry fired it. The trigger felt gritty to me. Have any of you guys who have one noticed this? Maybe its just a fluke. id like to get my hands on another one before i decide if i like it or not. The trigger thing made me think twice about it thats for sure.

Queen Bee
04-18-2012, 19:56

Rustin.. we all know about glocks QC going down the tubes.. if you have a perfectly functioning 26 like i do, don't ever sell it..!

but yes in the summer even the 26 sucks to carry, so im moving down into a Sig 238.. try that out .

JimIsland
04-18-2012, 19:59
I got one Monday. I like it VERY much. Check with ATP. They had one left yesterday for $429.99

Thanks bud....I'll head to ATP tomorrow and see if it's still there.

Southswede
04-18-2012, 20:03
Thanks bud....I'll head to ATP tomorrow and see if it's still there.

I'd call first unless you want to go take a look around. My "guess" is that it is probably sold......

I have to say that I am very happy with this gun!!

TSAX
04-19-2012, 11:53
Or maybe its own sub forum

Dont we already have a S&W sub forum :headscratch:

evilspringer
04-19-2012, 16:05
I was thinking a Shield forum since there are so many threads on the gun

3rdgen40
04-19-2012, 17:04
I picked up a Shield today.Brought it home, cleaned and lubed it,then headed to the gun club.Ran 100 rounds of Independence 115 ball and about 40 rounds of Ranger 127gr +P+ through it,100% flawless performance.Overall, I am very impressed with this pistol.It's accurate, and points well.It's the perfect balance of size,power and capacity.Very well built.S&W did their homework on this one. It's now my favorite EDC.

ETA:My LGS price was $394

faawrenchbndr
04-19-2012, 19:20
So,.....basically it is a sub-compact M&P9? :dunno:

3rdgen40
04-19-2012, 19:30
So,.....basically it is a sub-compact M&P9? :dunno:Kinda, just a lot slimmer.Controls are nearly flush, but easy to use.

Pier23
04-19-2012, 20:15
A compact polymer striker 9 that Smith and Wesson has just released.

GlockFish
04-19-2012, 21:08

A compact polymer striker 9 that Smith and Wesson has just released.

Oh cool! I bet this will really get a lot of people talking.

TSAX
04-20-2012, 00:22
Kinda, just a lot slimmer.Controls are nearly flush, but easy to use.

Yeah, I owned a M&P9c and its about the same height just thinner and slightly shorter in length.

Indy_Guy_77
04-20-2012, 06:07
There's a guy over on my "home" forum that had the flange (on the end) of one side of his guide rod bend...

See this thread for pics: http://ingunowners.com/forums/handguns/209001-s_and_w_m_and_p_shield_9_recoil_spring_problem.html

-J-