Unique Trip Preps [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Unique Trip Preps

Kieller
04-18-2012, 11:12
In about a month and a half I will be on a cruise in the British Virgin Islands with my family and 4 family friends for a total of 8 people. The cruise is unique in that it is called a Bareboat Cruise. Essentially it means that we provision the boat and crew it ourselves.

The boat we are renting for the week is a 42' catamaran sailboat. I am not worried about the sailing part of the trip considering my dad and I have been sailing most of our lives. All but one of the islands we are sailing to will be within eyesight of other islands so there won't be any real open water navigation.

My wife and I plan on scuba diving and we are renting all of our equipement minus fins/snorkel/mask which we are bringing. Our group has decided to NOT check any baggage for the entire trip since it only creates headaches.

So here comes the question:

Based on the fact that we are only taking carry-on bags, what prep items would you take?

Since one of my carry-ons is already stuffed with fins/mask/snorkel I am very limited on space. We are purchasing provisions via online and having them delivered to the dock. These will also include basics like suntan lotion.

Items already going:
2 bathing suits
3 T-shirts, 1 long-sleeve T-shirt
2 pair of shorts/socks/undies
Camera and underwater case
M-2 focusable flashlight + spare battery
1 or 2 bandanas
1 hat
1 pair sunglasses
1 phone (turned off for the cruising portion)
Small, 2 cigar case

I'm curious if you guys can think of anything in addition to what I already have listed. The biggest hole IMHO is a good knife. But, with carry-on only I can't bring one. I have thought about mailing one down there but I haven't brought myself to that yet.

The boat comes equiped with all the basic equipment you would need for cruising. Binocs, compass, charts, etc...

DrSticky
04-18-2012, 11:50
Signalling mirror.

550 cord? Might be handy, plus you could rig up a crude hammock if need be.

Sun screen? They charge outrageous prices down there for it. It will have to be smaller than 1 oz, but if you have room in your shave kit it might be a good idea.

Nalgene or similar? Can be filled with fresh drinking water and used for collection from a solar still.

If you have an Android Phone, this might be cool.
http://www.rei.com/product/828146/delorme-inreach-2-way-satellite-communicator-for-android

I was just talking with someone who was saying they do something similar in the BVI once a year with their family. Sounds like fun.

DrSticky
04-18-2012, 11:53
Oh yeah, I carry several of those single dose meds in my nalgene or my shave kit. Imodium for sure and Ibuprofen.

Bushflyr
04-18-2012, 13:49
Get a long sleeved rash guard and/or a lycra dive suit (http://divingduds.com/lycra-skins/). It'll keep you from burning the backs of your knees (the absolute worst) and from getting cut brushing up against coral. And it's easier, faster, and cleaner than gooping your entire body with lotion every time you go snorkeling.

Basic small first aid kit with bandaids, Neosporin, one or two gauze rolls, and super glue. Leave the quickclot at home. Anything major is going to end the trip anyway, so just take the boo-boo kit.

Spydermonkey
04-19-2012, 02:41
I'll second the sunscreen stuff. Sunblock, SPF chapstick, full brim hats, burn aloe, water/gatorade powder/pedialite for heat stroke hydration.

Kieller
04-19-2012, 06:15
Signalling mirror.

550 cord? Might be handy, plus you could rig up a crude hammock if need be.

Sun screen? They charge outrageous prices down there for it. It will have to be smaller than 1 oz, but if you have room in your shave kit it might be a good idea.

Nalgene or similar? Can be filled with fresh drinking water and used for collection from a solar still.

If you have an Android Phone, this might be cool.
http://www.rei.com/product/828146/delorme-inreach-2-way-satellite-communicator-for-android

I was just talking with someone who was saying they do something similar in the BVI once a year with their family. Sounds like fun.

Some good suggestions here. At one time I had thought of putting sunscreen in some small (1oz or whatever they allow) containers. Put one in each of the bags going down there so we could have at least some sunscreen with us.

The mirror isn't a bad idea either. Might be lower on the list of "if it will fit items" but its still a good idea.

The 550 cord will be very redundant with all the rigging on board.

Taking one of my nalgene bottles is a good idea. We are doing some hiking on the islands and having a solid bottle for water will be essential.

I like the phone attachement but the trip is pricey enough without tacking on another $250 + service. I didn't even know they made these so it will be good to keep in mind in the future.

Kieller
04-19-2012, 06:16
Oh yeah, I carry several of those single dose meds in my nalgene or my shave kit. Imodium for sure and Ibuprofen.

Some small dose meds in the nalgene bottle sounds like a winner to me. Maybe some motion sickness stuff for other folks.

Kieller
04-19-2012, 06:17
I'll second the sunscreen stuff. Sunblock, SPF chapstick, full brim hats, burn aloe, water/gatorade powder/pedialite for heat stroke hydration.

Chapstick for sure and I will definitely have a full brimmed hat.

Kieller
04-19-2012, 06:23
Get a long sleeved rash guard and/or a lycra dive suit (http://divingduds.com/lycra-skins/). It'll keep you from burning the backs of your knees (the absolute worst) and from getting cut brushing up against coral. And it's easier, faster, and cleaner than gooping your entire body with lotion every time you go snorkeling.

Basic small first aid kit with bandaids, Neosporin, one or two gauze rolls, and super glue. Leave the quickclot at home. Anything major is going to end the trip anyway, so just take the boo-boo kit.

yep...I have burned pretty bad while snorkeling/diving even with liberal amounts of sunscreen. I will have to look into those Suits a little more.

I'm thinking that my nalgene bottle is going to turn into my mini-first aid/meds bottle. I agree about not worrying about the big inuries since they will be trip-killers.

DrSticky
04-19-2012, 07:38
I'm thinking that my nalgene bottle is going to turn into my mini-first aid/meds bottle. I agree about not worrying about the big inuries since they will be trip-killers.

Yeah we do that with our med preps in it, especially if we are out of country. We each carry gear in a Nalgene with meds in it. We also have a few of those water purifying tablets in it (the ones in foil). Don't know if you need those, because the boat may have desalination.

Although lesson learned, when we flew to Africa the DEET leaked in the container and ruined the preps, so I tend to avoid liquids in the Nalgene. It also kind of dissolved the Nalgene(like took a coating off or something), but it was still functional. Not sure what it would do to the new BPA free Nalgenes.

M1A Shooter
04-19-2012, 13:57
Cold Steel Nightshade series. http://www.coldsteel.com/nightshadeseries.html