walmart ammo [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : walmart ammo

HunterG23
04-18-2012, 15:45
I'm quite perplexed. I bought some ammo from walmart for target shooting. The guy behind the counter had a box of federal 100 count for around 32 bucks. I asked him if he had any SD rounds and told me they didn't sell SD at walmart. I just did inventory of my ammo, and found that box of federal umc jhp 165 grain with brass casings. Can't for the life of me understand how I got jhp when he said they didn't sell them. Now that I have them, are they decent enough for SD? Or should I just use em up and the range? I use Hornedy critical defense 165 grain JHP and I think I trust them. Thanks in advance.
regards.

Mas Ayoob
04-18-2012, 19:19
I'm quite perplexed. I bought some ammo from walmart for target shooting. The guy behind the counter had a box of federal 100 count for around 32 bucks. I asked him if he had any SD rounds and told me they didn't sell SD at walmart. I just did inventory of my ammo, and found that box of federal umc jhp 165 grain with brass casings. Can't for the life of me understand how I got jhp when he said they didn't sell them. Now that I have them, are they decent enough for SD? Or should I just use em up and the range? I use Hornedy critical defense 165 grain JHP and I think I trust them. Thanks in advance.
regards.

Hunter, please double check the box. "Federal UMC" doesn't compute. Federal ammo is produced by ATK, and UMC is a low-priced generic line produced by Remington.

I haven't personally seen any generic 165 grain .40 JHP ammo; that stuff is normally 180 grain subsonic.

Best bet in a .40 seems to be premium grade ammo, but generic JHP will certainly do in a pinch if that is not available.

best,
Mas

HunterG23
04-18-2012, 19:32
yes, i can't believe i got my wires crossed, its remington umc 180 grn jhp. sorry bout that, i had a lot of ammo to inventory and i didn't remember it correctly lol.

HunterG23
04-21-2012, 13:19
I fired 50 rounds of that JHP and didn't have a single problem. However, the ball ammo, I had 3 mags in a row with one that would not fire. Bad ammo I would think.