Reliability of 33 round magazines over time? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Reliability of 33 round magazines over time?

eccho
04-18-2012, 17:05
I recently ordered a thirty three round magazine for my glock 19C. I am wondering how reliable these magazines are, and if leaving them fully loaded will dampen their reliability. Note these are Glock Factory mags.

I know storing mags at full capacity is okay, but these are high capacity pistol mags, which aren't as common as say AR-15 mags, and thus don't have the same track record.

Mas Ayoob
04-18-2012, 18:48
I've not seen any problems with them in terms of function, eccho, but I also don't have any experience keeping them fully loaded and monitoring them for long-term spring set. Most long mags are customarily downloaded by a round or two to minimize spring fatigue. This also prevents any lack of flex in the magazine spring from keeping the cartridge stack so rigid that it makes it difficult to insert if the slide is forward during the loading/reloading process.

While some metallurgy school graduates tell us that springs don't lose tension from being kept compressed, anecdotal history shows us that a lot of magazine springs apparently haven't been to metallurgy school and haven't gotten the word.

best,
Mas