Right to "opt out" of municipal trash service?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Right to "opt out" of municipal trash service??

wuvmyglock
04-18-2012, 17:57
The village I reside in took bids for trash service in order for them to generate funds... They will be tacking a $4 per month charge on top of the hauler charge.. Do I have the right to opt out and private contract with another trash service? I don't see how they can force you to use their choice.. :dunno::dunno::dunno:

JBnTX
04-18-2012, 18:43
I don't see how a "private contract with another trash service" is going to save you money?

Wouldn't that cost more?

wuvmyglock
04-18-2012, 19:21
I don't see how a "private contract with another trash service" is going to save you money?

Wouldn't that cost more?

It would be a couple more bucks a month... Just the idea.... A person should have the right to choose... A levy was voted down a few months ago so they have decided to impose a "trash tax".. They have been irresponsible with their cash and this is a way to generate some revenue and keep them from dissolving.. Temporary fix though..

CAcop
04-18-2012, 19:46
Around here you can opt out but you still got to dump it somewhere unless you are in an area allowed to burn, which in Ca is a different topic because of clean air standards. People who opt out are usually making dump runs instead which of course costs money.

Gunnut 45/454
04-18-2012, 19:54
Yep we can op out here but then you have to run it to the dump yourself and with today gas prices it would be three times more then letting them do it! So your SOL!:crying:

aircarver
04-19-2012, 06:30
I lived in a village that didn't have carting service, so we had to hire a private carter .... The only option private carter .... run by a Mafia family .... :alex:

Rabid Rabbit
04-19-2012, 07:30
What will the town charge you in total and what do the local haulers charge? The town rate should be considerably cheaper, if it isn't I'd have a chat with their incompetent procurement person.

Brucev
04-19-2012, 07:49
The village I reside in took bids for trash service in order for them to generate funds... They will be tacking a $4 per month charge on top of the hauler charge.. Do I have the right to opt out and private contract with another trash service? I don't see how they can force you to use their choice.. :dunno::dunno::dunno:

Read the ordinance/law. You have the right to do exactly what the law says you can do. If there is a opt out provision, you have that option. Otherwise, you'll have to pay.

As to generating funds, no govt. can run without cash. Police, fire, schools, trash, traffic, streets/roads, city/county hospital, etc., etc., etc., they all have to pay salaries, fuel, equipment, office cost, etc. No one donates anything to them. Can't expect to have municipal or country services donated to the property owner.

Bren
04-19-2012, 08:10
It would be a couple more bucks a month... Just the idea.... A person should have the right to choose...

Spending more money for the same thing, to spite yourself, seem like the "right to choose foolishly.":upeyes:

On the other hand, nanny-staters like Brucev make me kind of see your point.

cysoto
04-19-2012, 08:29
Do I have the right to opt out and private contract with another trash service?

If you have an HOA managing the properties where you reside, you most probably will find the answer to your question in the community bylaws. I am willing to bet that, if there is an HOA involved, you cannot subcontract outside of their choice.

Brucev
04-19-2012, 20:53
Spending more money for the same thing, to spite yourself, seem like the "right to choose foolishly.":upeyes:

On the other hand, nanny-staters like Brucev make me kind of see your point.

Hum... I thought zombies were only fictional characters in make believe movies.

BORNGEARHEAD
04-19-2012, 22:06
I can understand opting out. In some areas you can burn trash or maybe you only have 1 bag of trash/week and you can dispose of it in the dumpster at work.

Javelin
04-19-2012, 22:09
Just put your trash in someone else's trash can the night before the trash is being picked up....

:whistling:

Cheap skates the lot of you!

:rofl:

czsmithGT
04-19-2012, 22:13
What other municiple services beside trash hauling does your village provide? What is their source of income to provide those services?