Faced with a Boston NON BELIEVER today [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Faced with a Boston NON BELIEVER today

UneasyRider
04-19-2012, 21:59
My brother and his wife are in town this week and it's great to see them. My other brother who lives nearby mentioned something about the Doomsday Preppers show and my sister in law from Boston just could not believe that anyone would prep for any reason (these two don't know that the rest of us prep).

So I asked her what she would do if she could not buy food at the store since she admitted to only eating fresh food and not stocking anything. Her answer is that it will never happen.

Now when I show them what I have on hand her answer changes to I'll come down here and let you take care of me. Now I know that this is not possible for her do to work, kids and the like so I said so and asked her if she would like to eat if things got bad. No answer, never going to happen, don't want to think about it.

They voted for Obama. They make good money. They want the government to take care of them. When they rented to mormons who prepped she looked like they were touched when she was talking about it.

Tomorrow I show them some technology just for kicks to see what she has to say.

These people are a mess between the ears. How can well off, nice, educated people be so stupid?

Warp
04-19-2012, 22:46
These people are a mess between the ears. How can well off, nice, educated people be so stupid?

They have not personally experienced that which you are telling them is possible. It can be hard for people to accept something that they don't have any actual experience with. Chances are nobody in their inner circle has ever experienced what you are discussing with them, either.

The mainstream media would have you believe that, by and large, it is not possible, and that people like you are "hoarders" who somehow take away from what the rest can have.

I find it ironic that you ask how well educated people can be so stupid. Stupid people can and do get advanced degrees, all the time. I'm sure you know this by now.

ArmoryDoc
04-19-2012, 22:53

I dunno. However it happens they managed to get that Kenyan turd elected. It'll probably happen again this next election. :crying:

cyrsequipment
04-20-2012, 04:01
I have noticed that there are many people like that, they tend to be "successful", at least in their own minds, and they refuse to admit that all they have worked for could evaporate. They have acquired a lifestyle that they find comfortable and think that by doing so it proves their thinking is correct in every way. They cannot fathom that others may have a better idea or realize something that they don't... so they ridicule.

If I were you, I wouldn't waste my time trying to "convince" them of anything. You'll just get frustrated and become the butt of their jokes. Let them stay in their world.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

TangoFoxtrot
04-20-2012, 04:16
My brother and his wife are in town this week and it's great to see them. My other brother who lives nearby mentioned something about the Doomsday Preppers show and my sister in law from Boston just could not believe that anyone would prep for any reason (these two don't know that the rest of us prep).

So I asked her what she would do if she could not buy food at the store since she admitted to only eating fresh food and not stocking anything. Her answer is that it will never happen.

Now when I show them what I have on hand her answer changes to I'll come down here and let you take care of me. Now I know that this is not possible for her do to work, kids and the like so I said so and asked her if she would like to eat if things got bad. No answer, never going to happen, don't want to think about it.

They voted for Obama. They make good money. They want the government to take care of them. When they rented to mormons who prepped she looked like they were touched when she was talking about it.

Tomorrow I show them some technology just for kicks to see what she has to say.

Look your not going to change the fact their both in "it will never happen" land. People like them need to learn things the hard way, and when their bubble breaks they will get slapped in the face hard with reality.

My brother and sister (and their 3 kids 20,18 &13 years) in law are the same way. Not I but my wife told them of our preps. Their comment was the same as your S.I.L's. Oh we will come to your house if it does. ..My reply was no you won't take care of your own family. The only way you'll be allowed here is if you bring a ton of assets with you, which they won't. They are typical freeloaders ( which make good money). So my point is ...operational security. My wife was told never to reveal what we have again!

RED64CJ5
04-20-2012, 06:18
What do you expect?

These people (Massachusetts) are the same ones who run out and buy a loaf of bread and a gallon of milk if the news says a Nor'easter (like a blizzard) is coming. Other than that, just pick up some milk and bread on the way home when you run out. This is engrained in most of these people. I lived with it for eight years as a temporary resident.

mj9mm
04-20-2012, 06:51
Duhhh, they voted for obama, the annointed one:whistling:

sebecman
04-20-2012, 07:55
if i were you, i wouldn't waste my time trying to "convince" them of anything. You'll just get frustrated and become the butt of their jokes. let them stay in their world.

this^^

FireForged
04-20-2012, 08:52
I am not a long term prep person but do keep about 30days of stores at home and BOB/emergency bag in the truck. I know my preps are nothing compared to most here but do feel that "some" preps are simply part of a common sense approach to being a responsible adult. That being said, I dont think there is something "wrong" with someone who chooses not to prep. Its just a risk they accept same as not wearing a seatbelt or having insurance.

DrSticky
04-20-2012, 09:02
Denial ain't just a river in Egypt.

People don't want to think about it. It is a hard pill to swallow to think that you worked your ass off for 60-70 hour weeks for 20 years to make corporate VP, which could be rendered worthless instantly. I see it every day. What is funny is that it doesn't take a nuke to do it either. I have seen it done with a merger.

That is why I tell people Preps aren't all about the end of the world. Prep for what is likely to happen first. As far as starting people to prep(and I only try on family), this is where I start. Are you ready for a snow storm? House Fire? Heating Oil shortage? Extended Power Outage? If they are open you will hear them ask questions, if they aren't they will have excuses.

blk69stang
04-20-2012, 09:30
Here's what you need to do: Take them out four-wheeling.

Step 1, Get a jeep, or an older 4x4 pickup... something capable. Something with a lift kit and mud tires. Get with a local 4x4 club if you need to find someone who can help you out in your plan.

Step 2, go out 'wheeling in the middle of the boonies. I'm talking WAY out. No cell service, no nothing. Take them off the freakin' grid.

Step 3, get stuck/broken. Make it so the vehicle is not going to get you home without help. You will have to walk out / camp out, and you will only have what you have with you. You, with your emergency bag, will be quite comfy with basic food, clothing, and shelter. They will be hungry, cold, miserable, and bug-bitten.

Step 4, the "homily". After you have fixed/unstuck the truck (a day or two later) and returned to civilization, relate to them how the "unthinkable" just DID happen. Relate to them how since you were prepared you weathered it just fine, while they were unprepared and were miserable / at risk (of exposure, starvation, dehydration, etc). Now you just have to tie that in to their everyday lives... Since they are from Massachussetts, you could relate it to a winter storm. Remember the ice storm of '96? What if that happened again, and they either didn't have enough warning to "stock up" just beforehand, or maybe if the storm is much worse than predicted, they would be hosed.

They carry insurance right? Most people think a fire, a car accident, or cancer will "Never Happen", but they carry insurance anyway don't they? Prepping is no different. It is simply "insurance". Most people would say that not carrying homeowner's insurance is foolish, as a total loss of one's home would totally bankrupt them. Well guess what? Dying of starvation / disease / dehydration / civil unrest is worse than being bankrupt. THAT'S why we prep. And to make the argument that there is NO WAY the government won't be there to help them in a disaster is simply ludicrous. Did they miss that entire "Hurricane Katrina" thing? WTF did they think that was, other than a monumental failure of government to do exactly what your friends expect the .gov to do?

If they don't get it after that, just write them off. And if they think they can come to you in a disaster thinking your preps are going to be used to provide for them, make sure they understand that they will be treated like any other lowlife looter that comes trying to steal YOUR insurance policy.

wjv
04-20-2012, 09:51
I would never have told them that I prep.

Let them go on in their own little Obama approved world and don't even try to change their minds.

Bolster
04-20-2012, 09:54
I dunno. However it happens they managed to get that Kenyan turd elected. It'll probably happen again this next election. :crying:

It's not over till it's over. This one hasn't even begun yet. Obama's had months to go negative on Romney; Romney hasn't really begun to fight yet.

According to Dick Morris, Obama has "already lost," based on historical records of whether or not a president with ratings as low as Obama's, can win re-election.

So let's not throw in the towel too soon.

Regards "intelligent people," when they go ideological, they're worse than normal people. All that intelligence gets perverted to support and reinforce their ideological system.

I could give you a long list of brilliant people who were profoundly wrong.

When normal people are wrong, they're just wrong. When brilliant people are wrong, they're spectacularly, grossly, amazingly, mind-numbingly, hanging-from-the-chandeliers wrong.

cowboywannabe
04-20-2012, 09:58
many people who are finacially better off do not want to admit that "it can happen to them" because that would require them to look inside of themselves and see failure, cowardice, ineptitude and other uncomfortable things....

the head in the sand defense is what they rely on.

pugman
04-20-2012, 10:31
there is a song lyric which goes "some people you just can't reach..."

Apply here.

plasticgunz
04-20-2012, 12:51
You already screwed up and showed them your setup.

UneasyRider
04-20-2012, 15:22

It's my brother and his wife, I would share it with them anyway if they could live here in troubled times. I just don't get the total denial that it could happen and the "How could people do that, just save up food and wait for a disaster, it's so ghoulish."

NecoDude
04-20-2012, 16:08
When younger, I've been in snow storms that closed the road to town for 8 days or so. Traded eggs for milk and honey from nearby farms. Had plenty of game in the freezer, that's how we weathered that. We were lucky... Now with my own family, I'm not depending on luck any more for an event like a snowstorm or a $hitstorm...

I know people with Masters Degrees that couldn't pour water out of a boot with the instructions written on the sole...

quake
04-20-2012, 16:55
...to think that you worked your ass off for 60-70 hour weeks for 20 years to make corporate VP, which could be rendered worthless instantly. I see it every day. What is funny is that it doesn't take a nuke to do it either. I have seen it done with a merger.

That is why I tell people Preps aren't all about the end of the world. Prep for what is likely to happen first...
Big +1. Preps are for anything that rocks the family boat; doesn't have to be nukes, mayans, zombies or chicken flu. Could be layoffs, mergers, unexpected deaths, ice storms, whatever.

Mine wasn't "20 years to get to vice-president", it was 9 years to get to where there was only one person in the state above me in the org chart of a multinational corporation. One merger and bam; no job, pension gone, kids & wife still counting on me. I was fortunate that it was in better economic times and didn't become a "critical" situation. In today's economy, it could be a whole other story; and I suspect a more common story as well nowadays.

No zombies, no UN blue helmets, no bio-weapons necessary; a lot of "shtf" is personal in nature.

Don't dismiss the zombie threat off-hand though...

Bolster
04-20-2012, 17:26
Big +1. Preps are for anything that rocks the family boat; doesn't have to be nukes, mayans, zombies or chicken flu. Could be layoffs, mergers, unexpected deaths, ice storms, whatever.

Exactly.

Recently I've been thinking of prepping as "hardening the target." Because that's really what I'm doing. I'm trying to bullet-proof my family.

coastal4974
04-20-2012, 18:25
I would never have told them that I prep.

Let them go on in their own little Obama approved world and don't even try to change their minds.

That right there. Now you'll not only have them invading but all the ones they bring along with them.

You should ask them if it's never going to happen, why is their gubmint telling them to prep?

Bolster
04-20-2012, 21:16
Thinking about this.

I might be a non-believer myself.

I don't really think prepping requires belief or faith.

I don't "believe" something awful is going to happen, but I sure as heck want to be prepared if it does. Same with my car insurance. I don't "believe" I'll be in an accident, but...

ratf51
04-21-2012, 07:55
I know people with Masters Degrees that couldn't pour water out of a boot with the instructions written on the sole...

That, my good sir, is a quote worthy of repetition! Wonderful! :rofl: :wavey:

Phaze5ive
04-21-2012, 14:57
Prepping and gambling are almost the same thing, I say. Do it for fun if you want, but have a firm grip on reality and understand that the chances of some things happening are so small that it's ridiculous to invest so much time, money, and energy into it.

I wonder how many on this board have a month's worth of supply of food and such stashed in their basement, but not even ~$10k somewhere for unemployment, emergencies, etc. What's more likely: a riot that leaves you trapped in the house for weeks or being diagnosed with an expensive illness?

Warp
04-21-2012, 15:05
I wonder how many on this board have a month's worth of supply of food and such stashed in their basement, but not even ~$10k somewhere for unemployment, emergencies, etc. What's more likely: a riot that leaves you trapped in the house for weeks or being diagnosed with an expensive illness?

A months worth of food costs a helluva lot less than $10k, and is useful for things such as unemployment, emergencies, etc.

...if being diagnosed with an expensive illness is your comparison...got health insurance? Or, if you are talking about being able to pay for the treatment out of pocket, then ~$10k probably isn't going to cut it anyway.

Babynine
04-22-2012, 08:18
My Late Grandfather preped for decades, and after he died my cousin bought his farm. First thing they did, was remove the large wood fireplace and the wood stove! This is Wisconsin...who needs an alternitive heat source anyway?

I believe they bought a small genny tho, so everything is all good, no worries....

kirgi08
04-22-2012, 08:44
:faint: :crazy:

TangoFoxtrot
04-22-2012, 15:59
Duhhh, they voted for obama, the annointed one:whistling:

What does that have to do with the topic at hand?:upeyes:

Warp
04-22-2012, 16:08
What does that have to do with the topic at hand?:upeyes:

There does seem to be a correlation between being a democrat, liberal, and/or progressive and refusing to take responsibility for your own survival/preparedness/protection/etc

wildcat455
04-22-2012, 20:21
LOL!

So... There are some on this board who would advocate turning away a BROTHER and a sister in law?

I dunno... I am either ashamed to be here, or feeling "very dirty right now"...Thanks for that.

I guess the world IS in deeper trouble than I originally thought or anticipated!
At least now I know some of this board's family members will make up the Golden Hoard... Should I indiscriminately put them down FOR YOU??? Since at first opposition when the "Chips weren't really down yet" YOU gave up on them, "Passing the buck" to me?

I really don't like the FLAWED logic or reasoning resounding in this thread. (And that IS putting it NICELY.)

So.. Simple question... for those of you that KNOW who they are...Was your advice based on the fact "They aren't YOUR immediate family, so why not tell this guy "GIVE UP"?
HERE is a reason not to: THEY OR SOMEONE LIKE THEM WILL WIND UP AT YOUR DOORSTEP.

I think it's a smart move on UneasyRider's part to "attempt the wake up call.

It does at least 3 things my tiny brain can come up with if they wake up and face "The real world":

1). Ensures they are more of an asset than a liability to UneasyRider.

2). Ensures they are more of an asset than a liability to ALL OF US! (DUH.)

3). Ensures ALL of us can rest easier knowing our immediate family and the immediate family of others like us will not be a threat.

I really do think it's time some here wake up to a whole new concept:

The "Immediate gratification BS is just that. BS". I am willing to wager it took each of you repetitively being exposed to the "Idea" of prepping before you got off your BUTT and did something about it.

ANYTHING worth having does NOT come EASY. Get over it. Find a new approach. DEAL WITH YOUR FAMILY, in the end, THEY ARE ALL YOU GOT... Or DON'T HAVE.
(In simpler terms, they Sho' as hell NOT my FAMILY!!)

UneasyRider, Point your Sister in law toward history for the "It could never happen" argument.

Offer her this quote from (I believe) Thomas Jefferson: "Question with authority the very existence of God Himself."

Maybe that will get her seeking TRUTH.

Enlist a close friend or two of your family members to at LEAST confirm to your family that we live in troubled times... troubled enough to justify them preparing for.

The more different sources they hear it from, the more credible YOU are.. You are FAMILY... (OK Right now you may be KOOKY off your ROCKER family...or a really crazy uncle... I have one of those... this is not helping... sorry... a little comedy.) Due to MEDIA spin on things today, people look for an "outside of family source" to tell them what to do... UNFORTUNATELY the MEDIA PROVIDES those without an opinion or thought a "Perfectly acceptable substitute".

It's really NOT your families fault they can't see the forest for the trees.

TRUST is really the easiest betrayal. Where have we put our trust?

G22Dude
04-22-2012, 21:52
I have family including my wife who even when faced with the possibility of frequent disasters don't want to fully contemplate a SHTF situation. For some people its just hard to go there mentally. I face the reality and live with it on a daily basis. I have to spoon feed them (in laws also) with simple suggestions, such as shouldn't you stock a little water just in case we have a bad storm ect. For myself I am prepping like crazy. The truth is if it all goes south I'll extend myself to my in laws. I couldn't live with myself otherwise.

For Christians in the audience I can think of several Biblical admonisions to be prepared. I am just following up on it and trying to spread the word little by little

sebecman
04-23-2012, 07:23
LOL!

So... There are some on this board who would advocate turning away a BROTHER and a sister in law?

Actually I think most are saying, like I, that they would not try and convince them of something they clearly don't want to do.

That said, I think most everyone would say that they would not turn away their family if they were on the doorstep.

thesurefire
04-23-2012, 09:29

Yes. Everyone has the same info. Everyone started at one point with very little. Everyone got to decide what their priorities were. If its owning two sports cars you cant afford and spending every Christmas in Paris on your credit card, and mine are keeping my loved ones safe and secure, you'll either live happily ever after or you wont. I don't expect you just "give" me your two sports cars in the good times. Why should you expect to get my stuff when times are bad?

Since at first opposition when the "Chips weren't really down yet" YOU gave up on them, "Passing the buck" to me?

I don't advocate giving up, but I wouldn't badgering people about something they dont want to do.

So.. Simple question... for those of you that KNOW who they are...Was your advice based on the fact "They aren't YOUR immediate family, so why not tell this guy "GIVE UP"?

My advice is simple, you cant force someone to do something they don't want to do. Its a waste of time and energy. If they're interested, help, if not, suggest it lightly, even just in passing and then leave it alone. The whole idea that everyone should be responsible for everyone else is what lead us to being a welfare states, and I'm sick of it.

Wanting help is fine, expecting it is utterly ridiculous.

TRUST is really the easiest betrayal. Where have we put our trust?

I put my trust in myself, that's why I prep. Those who consistently want to rely on others are part of the problem, and will continue to be until their mindset changes.

What should you do if you have 10 brothers and sisters? Then its somehow your duty to pull their slack? Add in a wife and 2 kids each. That's 40 people. I don't know about you I just don't have the resources to feed, sleep, arm, and house 40+ people because they wanted to be grasshoppers instead of ants.

2 years of preps for 2 is less than 2 months of preps for 40.

Thankfully most of my kin are on (or at least near) the same page I am.

wildcat455
04-23-2012, 09:44
Ok, that helps me understand. I misunderstood what was being said here. Thanks to you both for the clarification.

I guess it kind of makes sense. You can't make someone do something they don't want to do, right? At least not without alienating yourself. Perhaps gentle encouragement is where it should end.

highfructosecornsyrp
04-24-2012, 08:31
It will never happen. If it does, militias will form, warlords will emerge, and your prepping will mean nothing, you will be over run. Want to prep? Work on your people skills and leadership skills. All the rest is just playtime, like building a fort when you were a kid.

UneasyRider
04-24-2012, 08:48
It will never happen. If it does, militias will form, warlords will emerge, and your prepping will mean nothing, you will be over run. Want to prep? Work on your people skills and leadership skills. All the rest is just playtime, like building a fort when you were a kid.

Having water, food and tools will always be valuable. If you see warlords in the U.S. I think that you are wrong, militias on the other hand exist today, but for the purpose of upholding the laws (including property laws.)

kirgi08
04-24-2012, 10:10

You're wrong.Militant gangs will form in an Urban scenario.They will live as long as their supplies do.In other words rape/loot/pillage.

As ta suburbia,depends on the AO.In Tejas no,in NYC/Boston your screwed.

In the south,good luck,I reckon 70% of firearms owned in the US are located below the Mason/Dixon.The north has killed the 2A,we in the south beg ta differ with that their summation.'08.

thesurefire
04-24-2012, 10:42
I guess it kind of makes sense. You can't make someone do something they don't want to do, right? At least not without alienating yourself. Perhaps gentle encouragement is where it should end.

In the end you just can't make anyone do anything.

I wish people would be more receptive, but I think when you move past gentle encouragement you just end up making people mad. Mad people are less receptive than calm ones.

I try to give suggestions and provide evidence. After that if they still arnt convinced or don't believe it I think its best to just leave it alone.

I've read about more than one person who's had serious rifts with friends/family occur because of prepping. I try to learn from others, and I don't want that to happen to me.

AZson
04-24-2012, 21:27
What's the saying, you can't fix stupid?

chascar
04-25-2012, 16:21
Not everyone in Ma has their head in the sand, but this definately is the Peoples Republic. Unfortunately the cradle of liberty is mostly a cradle now, it shows all over the state but WTSHTF there will be alot of people looking for a hand out and will be SOL unless they have some assets or skills........actually thinking twice they will be alot SOL and also alot of unOCCUPIED area.

Warp
04-25-2012, 18:56
You're wrong.Militant gangs will form in an Urban scenario.They will live as long as their supplies do.In other words rape/loot/pillage.

As ta suburbia,depends on the AO.In Tejas no,in NYC/Boston your screwed.

In the south,good luck,I reckon 70% of firearms owned in the US are located below the Mason/Dixon.The north has killed the 2A,we in the south beg ta differ with that their summation.'08.

Some of the most gun friendly and most heavily armed states are in the northern half.

Also...ROFL at claiming that, for example, Houston will be fine.

Billy10mm
04-26-2012, 08:44
The flip side to the argument against 'well-off' people in this thread is that you preppers are just low-income people who prepare for something that has never happened and is unlikely to happen so you can prove to others how brilliant you are.

I don't prep for Doomsday. I prep for things that are considerably more likely to happen. Retirement, loss of job, home fire, vehicle roll-over, lost wallet, etc.

quake
04-26-2012, 09:12
The flip side to the argument against 'well-off' people in this thread is that you preppers are just low-income people who prepare for something that has never happened and is unlikely to happen so you can prove to others how brilliant you are.
Seems like several huge assumptions; the low-income thing, the something-that-has-never-happened thing, and the doing-it-to-prove-our-brilliance thing all three.

I prep simply because bad situations DO happen. They've happened thru all of human history, in every civilization that's left records. Doesn't have to be nuclear war, bioweapons, or anything global (or even nationwide), or some species-threatening event. It could be (and has been) things as simple as normal weather patterns, freak storms, power outages, completely-localized riots, price increases, the cyclical nature of economies in general; all kinds of small things that can impact me & my family personally, whether thay impact anyone else or not.

I don't prep for Doomsday. I prep for things that are considerably more likely to happen. Retirement, loss of job, home fire, vehicle roll-over, lost wallet, etc.
Do you find it interesting that you start your post with "you preppers", and then follow up with "I prep". If you "prep", you're a "prepper".

No offense meant, I just hope to point out that being a "prepper" need not be a perjorative. Based on pretty much any segment in the history of human existence, it's wholly rational.

UneasyRider
04-26-2012, 09:21
So my sister in law has 2 days worth of food in the house at any given time (they only eat fresh). Would never eat from a can due to BPH? Consider preppers and the like ghoulish for hoarding food so that they can gloat as they eat while other people go hungry. Guns! Guns kill people! ER nurse in a state where guns are only carried by criminals (with a few exceptions).

It's madness I tell you, just madness, but since "that" could never happen here... they don't need to prepare. Unfortunately they could not name a country where it has not happened, including ours.

kirgi08
04-26-2012, 10:13
They'll get what they planned for.'08.

Aceman
04-27-2012, 19:45
Always an interesting topic...some points:

#1 The people of "doomsday" ARE frickin' half-cocked (except for this one guy who I was just amazed by...). If that's your exposure to preps...reasonable attitude. We have had DDP rag threads HERE!

#2 How many people who voted for McCain do i have to show with the same attitude before you acknowledge that it has nothing to do with Obama.

If you think Republican OR Democrat matters - you are dumber than the sis-in-law! :rofl:

#3 as with all things - there is a distribution, a range of behavior. There are the sheeple who simply deny bad things happen, that go on with life. and there focus on that can make them very successful, because they haven't wasted time on something that hasn't happened or isn't likely to happen.

Then there are the nut-job preppers. Life has passed them by because ALL they do is focus on things that are incredibly unlikely to happen (or impossible)

It's all about reason and balance folks - and there are very few with it in any camp. But unless you live in a serious disaster zone...expecting things to go ok is a very reasonable line of thought.

Of course - you mention the best thing: "We'll come to your house"

One way people get successful is that they are selfish. It has a certain self preservation factor. Amazing how the selfish expect from others when they need, but that it doesn't work the other way around.

My favorite answer to that is:

"While you are my family, I have no for better or worse, put the decision on your hands. I chose to spend money on food stores, spend time learning to shoot, etc...You chose to go on vacation to Florida. If something bad happens RIGHT NOW - I have your back.

But after today - you have to make your own choices. So if something happens six months from now, you'll be in Boston and on your own. Good luck with that. And if you choose the new Audi over rice and first aid....well, enjoy that car when the 7/11 is out of fuel."

and let's be real - you'd kick your brother out to FEMA, etc? Harsh...then again, just because he is your brother doesn't mean he isn't a doosh who desparately deserves to be eaten alive by Zombies...

Aceman
04-27-2012, 19:48
So my sister in law has 2 days worth of food in the house at any given time (they only eat fresh). Would never eat from a can due to BPH? Consider preppers and the like ghoulish for hoarding food so that they can gloat as they eat while other people go hungry. Guns! Guns kill people! ER nurse in a state where guns are only carried by criminals (with a few exceptions).

It's madness I tell you, just madness, but since "that" could never happen here... they don't need to prepare. Unfortunately they could not name a country where it has not happened, including ours.

I don't disagree at all...

Still, what bad thing has ever happened in THEIR lives - or yours for that matter?

Still, my favorite quote is "When seconds matter, the police are only minutes away..."

Aceman
04-27-2012, 19:49
There does seem to be a correlation between being a democrat, liberal, and/or progressive and refusing to take responsibility for your own survival/preparedness/protection/etc

No there isn't

UneasyRider
04-27-2012, 20:12
I don't disagree at all...

Still, what bad thing has ever happened in THEIR lives - or yours for that matter?

Still, my favorite quote is "When seconds matter, the police are only minutes away..."

Well there was this time in Central America shortly after I got out of school that kind of sucked... but that's a story for a different thread.

Bolster
04-27-2012, 21:48
No there isn't

It's axiomatic that personal responsibility is much more prevalent on the right that on the left, and preferences for group-based solutions are the opposite. It shows up as a strong effect in virtually every psych panel that looks at these variables. With so much data supporting this difference, how could anybody argue that statement. :dunno:

Cherry picking a couple of counter examples is not a rebuttal of a broad trend.

kirgi08
04-27-2012, 22:16
:goodpost: :agree:

UneasyRider
04-28-2012, 06:55
:goodpost: :agree:

Kirgi did you notice that not only is that an excellent observation but that Bolster use of the english language was scary good! I think that this is the best example of a well written post with good content that I have ever seen.

Nice job Bolster.

Aceman
04-28-2012, 09:26
It's axiomatic that personal responsibility is much more prevalent on the right that on the left, and preferences for group-based solutions are the opposite. It shows up as a strong effect in virtually every psych panel that looks at these variables. With so much data supporting this difference, how could anybody argue that statement. :dunno:

Cherry picking a couple of counter examples is not a rebuttal of a broad trend.

psych panels eh?

You do know I have a PhD in Psychology - right? Attitude towards and actual behavior two WAY different things. :whistling:

(I'm not even going into attitude as predisposition for behavior...)

As i always say though...show me the data. And be careful - I'm I scientist dude: Methodology FIRST. If that's crap, we don't even bother to look at the data. :tongueout:

Aceman
04-28-2012, 09:37
excuse me...let me give the more astute response....

Bolster, you are suggestion that the mere existance of a correlation between attitudes regarding personal behavior and actual actions are sufficient to indicate significant statistical differences actual preparedness behavior.

I posit a hypothesis wherein political affiliation actually has little or no relationship in a significant (beyond chance) way. A conceptual experiment regarding such would be to simply select a random sample or registered republicans and democrats, and then actually interview them regarding their level of preparedness. I suggest the interview because there is obvious social pressure to give socially acceptable anwers to questions about being prepared in case of emergency. we could measure any number of factors, but the key, in my opinion would be the presence of supplies and equipment explicitly purchased and stored for the a "SHTF" type event, so to speak.

I suspect strongly that the number of republicans vs democrats bars would fall very closely in height, and that the percentages would be well within any error estimate you choose to use.

We could also stratify the sample by Socio-economic status, and location (urban/rural) as well as perhaps get feedback on experience in disasters to co-vary that out of the model.

You sure you want to play this game with me? Data talks, BS walks. A survey that shows different attitudinal measures based on political affiliation is BS. Interesting, but so what.

The bottom line is that MOST people are un-prepared, some people are under-prepared, and a few are in a good place. And a few are over-prepared...which is a whole other issue.

I still agree that the bro/sis-in-law is an idiot.

Way stronger correlation between IQ and preparedness I bet, with dumb@$$es generally less so than smarter. And Dumb@$$ cuts across all politics and religions.

Ball is in your court Bolster....You gonna throw down some legit journal articles / studies, or is this "panel" infor from some blog somewhere or a commercial advertising rag?

Aceman
04-28-2012, 09:42
Kirgi did you notice that not only is that an excellent observation but that Bolster use of the english language was scary good! I think that this is the best example of a well written post with good content that I have ever seen.

Nice job Bolster.

And by the way - what Bolster threw down was, as he said, an "Axiom."

Well written, yes. An axiom, however, is a logic tool for making a point without any actual evidence. So, well written yes, but he really made an assertion and provided jack to back it up.

Just so we are clear...

Warp
04-28-2012, 11:05
stuff

Don't believe it? (or trolling for an argument...)

Go open public polls in as many survival/preparedness forums as you can, beginning here.

If you find one with more who select Democrat, let us know.