Escalation of force? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Escalation of force?

eccho
04-20-2012, 11:43
Here in the state of Iowa, I am a concealed carry holder that has taken a safety class as required by law to obtain a permit. We went over some of the basics in class but I would like to take a more tactical/self defense oriented class later on.

I understand the basic principle that if someone is pointing a gun or knife at you, putting you in a hundred percent clear life or death situation you are in the right should you choose to use deadly force to save your own life.

But I don't entirely understand the appropriate circumstances to declare you have a weapon, draw your weapon, and anything UP to the point where your shooting for your life.

for example if a shady character is following you at night with their hands in their pockets but you haven't seen a knife or gun yet, can you mention you have a weapon while attempting to escape?

My basic understanding is the gun should never come out of the holster unless your life is already in danger.

Mas Ayoob
04-20-2012, 21:47
Unless you know the individual personally to be a criminal, or can prove that you're a mind reader who knows the guy behind you is a "shady character" and specifically targeting you, making what can be construed as a threat involving a firearm is WAY premature at the point you hypothetically describe.

Imminent extreme danger that would be obvious to any reasonable and prudent person within the totality of the circumstances? Draw the gun. But don't pull the trigger until you're certain beyond a reasonable doubt that a potentially lethal attack is beginning or underway.

best,
Mas

eccho
04-22-2012, 08:29
I think i didnt explain properly. Can you give me an example where it is appropriate to draw but not necessary to shoot? My question is is that really a plausible situation?

Mas Ayoob
04-22-2012, 09:47
Just a couple of examples:

A guy in the grip of road rage forces your car to a stop, and steps out holding a baseball bat. Your car has stalled. This would be a time to draw your gun, but it would not be wise to shoot until he approached aggressively.

You find a stranger in your house at night; he does not appear to be armed, but still could be. I would definitely take him at gunpoint, but it is not yet a "shoot" situation.

best,
Mas