I can appreciate kids wanting to help, BUT. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I can appreciate kids wanting to help, BUT.

okie
04-20-2012, 18:46
Almost on a daily basis at Wal Mart I see young kids wanting to be all grown up and help with the grocery shopping, and I understand they have to learn, but they simply will not watch where they are going and what they are doing, they run the shopping cart into people, the shelves and who all knows what. I know they need their education, but they need to get it somewhere other than in public where they do more harm than good. What's the answer:headscratch::dunno:

FPS
04-20-2012, 18:49
What's the answer:headscratch::dunno:

Maybe a mini-Wal Mart??

glockrod
04-20-2012, 18:52
I dont care if lil Johnny knocks over something. It aint mine and it aint my problem. So, have fun Johnny, Okie will pick it up.

Same idea in restaurants when lil Johnny makes a huge mess and the parents just step over it and leave.

Sorry Okie, but it wont get better with the current entitlement train of thought being pumped into kids heads.

Rod

Big House
04-20-2012, 19:19
Maybe a mini-Wal Mart??

Umm excuse me...Smallmart. :tongueout:

tous
04-20-2012, 19:20
Shoot 'em a little.
That'll larn em' and their parents quicker'n anythin' else I kin think of.

On a more sober note, the culture and society are not designed to please children. It is an adult world and until an appropriate age, children are excluded from most activities. Consider, we don't let 8-year-olds drive the family sedan, no? Then it is ill-advised to allow small children to treat a business as a playground.

<--- crabby old carp :fred:

FPS
04-20-2012, 19:22
Umm excuse me...Smallmart. :tongueout:

:rofl:

Louisville Glocker
04-20-2012, 19:27
Chill out.

The kids need to get some "on the job" "real-world" training. I'm not saying let them run wild, but it is completely appropriate to allow them to help push a cart, place items onto a conveyer belt, etc.

Every parent has different teaching styles, discipline methods, etc. Obviously, the kids shouldn't be brought to fine dining if they are disruptive, but if you go to a walmart or a McD's what do you expect?

Humans learn by doing. (I'm an educator by trade, and a parent too). Hands on learning is the BEST way to go by far.

Cheers

Louisville Glocker
04-20-2012, 19:29
:crying:P.S. Okie, did you get run over by a shopping cart today?

okie
04-20-2012, 19:45
:crying:P.S. Okie, did you get run over by a shopping cart today?

Not today I didn't , but I have:faint:

okie
04-20-2012, 19:47
Chill out.

The kids need to get some "on the job" "real-world" training. I'm not saying let them run wild, but it is completely appropriate to allow them to help push a cart, place items onto a conveyer belt, etc.

Every parent has different teaching styles, discipline methods, etc. Obviously, the kids shouldn't be brought to fine dining if they are disruptive, but if you go to a walmart or a McD's what do you expect?

Humans learn by doing. (I'm an educator by trade, and a parent too). Hands on learning is the BEST way to go by far.

Cheers

I know they they need training, but they do more harm than good:shocked::faint:

okie
04-20-2012, 19:48
Shoot 'em a little.

On a more sober note, the culture and society are not designed to please children. It is an adult world and until an appropriate age, children are excluded from most activities. Consider, we don't let 8-year-olds drive the family sedan, no? Then it is ill-advised to allow small children to treat a business as a playground.

That makes a lot of sense, Doug:supergrin:

okie
04-20-2012, 19:49
Maybe a mini-Wal Mart??

Capitol idea my friend:supergrin:

tous
04-20-2012, 19:59
Crabby, old carps always make sense.

:wavey:

Mrs.Cicero
04-20-2012, 20:05
When my kids want to push the cart, I make them follow me, so if they run into anyone, it is their mom, who immediately tells them that since they are not paying enough attention driving the cart to keep from running into me, they must give me back the cart. Then they follow along behind me, sulking. Someday, they'll make it through the store without hitting me when I stop suddenly, but I'm not holding my breath.

Mrs.Cicero

Just_plinking
04-20-2012, 20:10
Hell, at least they are trying to help. Around here the kids just use oranges as basketballs and run around like monkeys.

okie
04-20-2012, 20:15
When my kids want to push the cart, I make them follow me, so if they run into anyone, it is their mom, who immediately tells them that since they are not paying enough attention driving the cart to keep from running into me, they must give me back the cart. Then they follow along behind me, sulking. Someday, they'll make it through the store without hitting me when I stop suddenly, but I'm not holding my breath.

Mrs.Cicero

You are a very wise lady Mrs. C honey:hugs::kiss:

SomeDay
04-20-2012, 20:42
Lol. My 9 year old daughter is a better shopping cart driver than most adults at Walmart!

Braken
04-20-2012, 21:28
Okie, the kids will probably stop doing unruly behavior when they get old enough to get knocked on their butts for it.

That will likely still be 18 years old for legal reasons.

larry_minn
04-20-2012, 22:56
Local stores have "Customer in training" carts for kids. (that are too old for cart that has seats like small car for parents to push)
It has at least one (some two) flags so adults can see the thing. Its small, low, light. Face it. Its the parents who are problem.

silentpoet
04-20-2012, 22:59
I have seen kids climb the shelves. Cart driving is hardly the worst I have seen.

rilkil23
04-21-2012, 00:09
I take my kids on "missions" to keep them busy and me sane. We go look for items on list so they are occupied while my wife does her thing with the cart. I don't get why families wander together and prevent people from being able to navigate around them. Get the hell out of the way so we can all get our crap and get on with our day.

kirgi08
04-21-2012, 00:26
Shoot 'em a little.

Where does Mike figure in your above. :dunno:

Crabby, old carps always make sense.

:wavey:

See above.'08.:tongueout:

aspartz
04-21-2012, 00:34
Chill out.

OJT starts at an appropriate age. You do not let the kid drive the car at 9. Until that age it is not training, it is play. Until the kid is old enough to gain skills don't left them be in charge of anything.

Every parent has different teaching styles, discipline methods, etc.
The problem is that most them are not teaching, they are entertaining the kids.
Obviously, the kids shouldn't be brought to fine dining if they are disruptive, but if you go to a walmart or a McD's what do you expect?I expect not to be run into by kids pushing carts. Even WalMart is not a playground. Kids need to learn that life sometimes has places that they don't get to be a kid.

Humans learn by doing. (I'm an educator by trade, and a parent too). Hands on learning is the BEST way to go by far.They only learn if they are corrected. Most kids are not.

Local stores have "Customer in training" carts for kids. (that are too old for cart that has seats like small car for parents to push)
It has at least one (some two) flags so adults can see the thing. Its small, low, light. Face it. Its the parents who are problem.
What good do the flags do? Why am I supposed to avoid the kids? IF the kid cannot be controlled, leave the kid at home.

ARS

okie
04-21-2012, 04:16
I take my kids on "missions" to keep them busy and me sane. We go look for items on list so they are occupied while my wife does her thing with the cart. I don't get why families wander together and prevent people from being able to navigate around them. Get the hell out of the way so we can all get our crap and get on with our day.

Capitol idea my friend:thumbsup:

okie
04-21-2012, 04:18
OJT starts at an appropriate age. You do not let the kid drive the car at 9. Until that age it is not training, it is play. Until the kid is old enough to gain skills don't left them be in charge of anything.

I expect not to be run into by kids pushing carts. Even WalMart is not a playground. Kids need to learn that life sometimes has places that they don't get to be a kid.

They only learn if they are corrected. Most kids are not.

What good do the flags do? Why am I supposed to avoid the kids? IF the kid cannot be controlled, leave the kid at home.

ARSWell spoken my friend:thumbsup:

larry_minn
04-21-2012, 10:19

I expect not to be run into by kids pushing carts. Even WalMart is not a playground. Kids need to learn that life sometimes has places that they don't get to be a kid.

They only learn if they are corrected. Most kids are not.

ARS

The good the flags do is other shoppers don't TRIP over carts. (or kid pushing it) Guess you didn't notice where not matter what its the PARENTS who matter? Brats are brats. If the parents don't control them....

BTW drive at age 9. Sure. I was driving to town with loads by 13. (with parent in truck) See mom couldn't handle a stick with trailer that well. Good parents are the most important factor.

badge315
04-21-2012, 10:23
Perhaps if Wal-Mart had shopping carts that didn't have 8-sided wheels and constantly pull to one side or the other they'd be easier for a child (or adult) to operate.

Oso
04-21-2012, 17:43
The children aren't the problem. The parents not supervising are the problem. My children, even my 5 year old can push a cart without hitting anyone or anything. When my younger ones are pushing the cart I am always within arms reach to keep any accidents from happening on the rare occasion that one should occur.

Remember, children are the product of their life experiences. If their parents are irresponsible, most likely the children will also be irresponsible.

My observations while at the local Walmart have pretty much convinced me that most of adults could learn a thing or two from my 5 year old when it comes to acting responsible.

true believer
04-21-2012, 18:31
russia!!
:whistling:

OrangeJoe
04-21-2012, 18:44
There is a supermarket chain that has scaled carts with a pole holding up a sign at adult-eye level reading 'Shopper in Training', now that I think about it Wal Mart owns that chain,

Maybe they need to bring it into more of their stores.