Carry methods with a pack on? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Carry methods with a pack on?

Lampshade
04-21-2012, 00:41
What are your people's plans for carrying a sidearm if you need to bug out on foot?

Got my pack all together and it certainly would interfere with the usual 3-5 oclock carry.

A thigh rig seems logical but I'd really prefer to stay concealed.

id1otbox
04-21-2012, 00:44
http://www.opticsplanet.net/universal-special-ops-pistol-harness-black.html

can wear it under a jacket if you want to conceal it.

i carry my g20 while backpacking through the woods. Another gt member here recommended this holster to me for backpacking carry. it works great

AK_Stick
04-21-2012, 01:55
pretty much the perfect time for a cross draw holster.

Mount it on the side flap of the pack and call it a day.

cowboy1964
04-21-2012, 14:53
Just a regular IWB or OWB belt holster as long as it's concealed.

BUGs in various locations.

Lampshade
04-21-2012, 15:38

Its a 3 day bag with hip straps.... they'd go right over the firearm. I'm looking for faster access.

Somthing like this... maybe a little cheaper if available.

http://www.thewilderness.com/storepinnacle/index.php?p=product&id=2788&parent=171

quake
04-21-2012, 16:45
That safepacker is handy and works well for 'non-concealed' concealment. I have one (commander size iirc) that fits a G19 and have used it numerous times with no complaints. Even has space for a spare mag - maybe two spares if they were single-stack.

Personally, I went thigh rig for pack-wearing use when I recently made a bunch of changes in my ghb gear. I really don't really like them, but it does let me take my pack (or vest) off & on without having to mess with the gun, and with practice, it's surprisingly useable.

FireForged
04-21-2012, 18:38
a london bridge "tanker' holster in nylon.

Kingarthurhk
04-21-2012, 19:22
http://www.grizzlytuff.com/slideshow/photos.htm

I ordered one of these for my 8 3/8 in .454 Casul with a Leupold FXII mounted on it. About the only way to pack that around is a chest holster.

smokeross
04-22-2012, 02:04
When I am packing out game like moose or caribou, or just carrying a pack, I'm packing a Fourty Four. It is hanging right in front of my wiener. It ain't hitting the pack, and I can easily reach it no matter what. Nothing says you have to pack that pistol on your hip, cowboy. Don't worry about how it looks.

Haldor
04-22-2012, 08:25
For deep cover it is hard to beat a concealed carry jacket. I have two:

A Coronado Leather Jacket for summer/fall use.

http://coronadoleather.com/images/M24964063.jpg

http://coronadoleather.com/files/images/jckt_illus.jpg

A Sig Saur jacket for cold weather. It looks just like a Carhartt jacket except it has two concealed carry pockets. Warmest (and heaviest) jacket I have ever owned.

http://www.shootingillustrated.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/lede1-354x200.jpg

It is very unlikely my CCW would ever be accidentally exposed in these jackets. It would take a pat down to detect it.

If it is really hot weather then I would use an LPC in the pocket with the primary gun in an outside pocket of the backback. It is really unwise to be visibly armed in SHTF situation.

EOTWAWKI? I am carrying my FAL on a sling.

Catshooter
04-22-2012, 17:30

This is a very bad idea in my tiny little mind. Too many times when backpacking there is reason to drop the pack. Now you're unarmed.

Mmm. Not for this kid.

Cat

jeager
04-22-2012, 17:54
With a backpack on, sling something that looks like a mapcase and wear it like one.

RMTactical
04-22-2012, 18:01

Interesting. Not a bad idea IMO.

jbenton
04-22-2012, 22:40
I've used the Wilderness holster while backpacking. Worked great! I secured it to the front of the hip strap. I'd consider it semi-concealed. It didn't "scare the children" we passed, but anyone that knows the first thing about guns would know what it is.

Bravo 1
04-23-2012, 02:41

You have never humped a pack before if you are serious about a IWB anything,,,,,,,

Bilbo Bagins
04-23-2012, 07:25
Ahh Lampshade has found the question that has puzzled me when I go on a multiday hike.

How do you conceal carry a handgun when you have a large backpack with a Hip belt. Sure you can walk around with a drop down pistol rig and your AR in the Mad Max fantasy world, but what if you need to get to point A to Point B on foot in a standard SHTF situation and you want to be an armed "Gray Man"

If your carrying a small handgun, its not that big of a deal. You can still pockey carry if its a mouse gun. You can get a camera case or other pouch and attach it to you waist or shoulder strap.

Service sized pistols and large caliber revolvers get a little tricky. You can always go with a conceal carry vest (like 5.11) and backpack route, but if you are hiking in the summer, you are going to cook in your own juices. Another option some turned me on to are front packs like those like the ribz pack, or the osprey grab bag.

http://www.ribzwear.com/
http://blog.ribzwear.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/RIBZ-odrmag-ad.png
Review showing a full size 1911 with other stuff in Ribz Pack
Ribz Front Pack Review - YouTube

http://www.rei.com/product/782056/osprey-grab-bag-accessory-pocket

http://www.yamareco.com/modules/diary/upimg/5190/8aba3a6fa4a82a51c1a5b3bb361b44de.JPG

sebecman
04-23-2012, 07:33
When I was hiking alot I just used a fanny pack for CC. Doesn't interfere with hip straps of pack.

Dexters
04-23-2012, 08:28
When I was hiking alot I just used a fanny pack for CC. Doesn't interfere with hip straps of pack.

That is probably the best solution I've read so far.

- blends in

- easily assessable

- available everywhere

expatman
04-23-2012, 08:56
I have used three different options.

1) The easiest option would be waist/fanny pack. It fits well in the front and under any waist/hip belt on the pack. I find it to be kind of hot in the summer over the groin however.

2) I have used a Safariland ALS holster with a UBL drop mount. Mounted on a belt at 3 o'clock. Just wear a cover shirt that is long enough to conceal the holster. This allows it to clear the back pack hip belt. It is also what I wear at work to allow my draw to clear my body armor.

3) Go here.....http://www.survivalsheath.com/main/home.htm They make a kydex chest holster that is much more streamlined than the monstrosities that some people suggest. I could never wear some of those huge chest rigs with all the pockets and pouches. Just too much heat retention while hiking. An Air Marshal friend of mine turned me on the Survival Sheath Systems. I use the downward draw version so that I can draw from under a cover garment. I have found this to be the most preferred of the 3 methods outlined.

Lampshade
04-23-2012, 08:56
Another option some turned me on to are front packs like those like the ribz pack, or the osprey grab bag.

I think we might have a winner, since it'll go nicely with my Osprey pack. Not too big and reasonably priced.

The Wilderness Safepacker looks awesome but I can't justify dropping $100 on something like that at the moment.

Thanks for all the other suggestions guys, still gonna look into 'em. Keep 'em coming!

Bilbo Bagins
04-23-2012, 13:20
I think we might have a winner, since it'll go nicely with my Osprey pack. Not too big and reasonably priced.

The Wilderness Safepacker looks awesome but I can't justify dropping $100 on something like that at the moment.

Thanks for all the other suggestions guys, still gonna look into 'em. Keep 'em coming!

I seen them in a dark grey as well. I would just double check to make sure the dimension of the bag will fit what gun you plan on carrying. It may be too small for really big handguns.

I might pull the trigger on that osprey bag or the Ribz pack because of this thread. Thanks for helping me spend my money. :tongueout:

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fanny pack suggestion. I guess you can run it on the either side or in front like Epic Beard Man. I just think the strapps and buckle would be screwed up, and dig in you with the hip belt. I'll don some of my backpacks when I get home and see if it could work.

BR549
05-17-2012, 12:05
Buy a pack with PALS webbing on the hip belt or pack that you can use your warbelt as the pack belt.

Use a holster on the pack belt and another holster for your pants belt when not wearing pack.

Use a quick attach holster to change its location as needed.

auto-5
05-17-2012, 13:10
I use a sling.

Protus
05-18-2012, 05:09
my kelty falcon lets me use the top lid as a chest pack while using the pack. This means i can carry stuff in front-aka sidearm,rifle mags, etc.
Or if i wanted i could mount a holster to the hip pad itself. If t hat doesnt work i have a drop leg.

but if were talking shtf and im on foot with my BOB, it'll be my longarm im carrying not my sidearm.

cyrsequipment
05-18-2012, 07:21
Just use a binocular case.

Amazon.com: Crooked Horn Outfitters Bino Shield Binocular Covers: Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41rehTcoJSL.@@AMEPARAM@@41rehTcoJSL

Hummer
05-18-2012, 12:11
Buy a pack with PALS webbing on the hip belt or pack that you can use your warbelt as the pack belt.
I hike a lot with a pack that has webbing on the waist belt. I've used that for the holster but I prefer mounting on my gun belt because it better supports the weight of the gun. Also, when I take off the pack I want the gun on my body, not on the pack.

It works to slip the pack belt up under the holster.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g292/COHummer/Guns/BianchiPackCarry.jpg

RatDrall
05-18-2012, 12:17
What are your people's plans for carrying a sidearm if you need to bug out on foot?

I wouldn't change anything, and would tailor my 'pack and other bugout gear around what I normally wear.

Got my pack all together and it certainly would interfere with the usual 3-5 oclock carry.

Your bag could be too big, if it interferes with your normal carry methods.

A thigh rig seems logical but I'd really prefer to stay concealed.

Trust your instincts, keep it hidden and low key. Do you really want to carry your sidearm differently than you're used to? Is it worth it to complicate or impede your ability to get at your handgun if you needed it fast?

You might consider going with a smaller backpack. Load it with basic stuff you'd need to survive for a few days. Supplement your basics with luxuries in duffel bags that would go along for the ride if in a vehicle, but that you could do without if you had to. If you don't know how to survive without a gigantic rucksack, there are lightweight backpacking and primitive skills classes all over the country, many free of charge, and a fun way to spend a weekend in the woods. Then you wouldn't need a bag so big that you need a hip belt that messes with your preferred, habitual carry method. Not to mention how much a big, heavy bag would slow you down and get in the way if things got dangerous...

02LimitedX
05-24-2012, 08:44
Ahh Lampshade has found the question that has puzzled me when I go on a multiday hike.

How do you conceal carry a handgun when you have a large backpack with a Hip belt. Sure you can walk around with a drop down pistol rig and your AR in the Mad Max fantasy world, but what if you need to get to point A to Point B on foot in a standard SHTF situation and you want to be an armed "Gray Man"

If your carrying a small handgun, its not that big of a deal. You can still pockey carry if its a mouse gun. You can get a camera case or other pouch and attach it to you waist or shoulder strap.

Service sized pistols and large caliber revolvers get a little tricky. You can always go with a conceal carry vest (like 5.11) and backpack route, but if you are hiking in the summer, you are going to cook in your own juices. Another option some turned me on to are front packs like those like the ribz pack, or the osprey grab bag.

http://www.ribzwear.com/
http://blog.ribzwear.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/RIBZ-odrmag-ad.png
Review showing a full size 1911 with other stuff in Ribz Pack
Ribz Front Pack Review - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHau6LOv6jE)

http://www.rei.com/product/782056/osprey-grab-bag-accessory-pocket

http://www.yamareco.com/modules/diary/upimg/5190/8aba3a6fa4a82a51c1a5b3bb361b44de.JPG

I ordered a Ribz. Great product. Only thing I have to "complain" about is they changed their design from the youtube video you linked. If you look at the picture on their website, it only has 2 zippered pockets on either side. No biggie, just know its not exactly designed the same way now. Still a great idea and great product.

WolfNotSheep
05-24-2012, 11:17
My small bags (true 72 hour bags, designed to support me for three days in the woods with no resupply aside from water) are just that; small bags. When wearing one of them I carry normally, strong-side in a Don Hum 715 IWB holster.

My large bags (BOBs or INCH bags, designed to support me for a week or more without resupply) are still on the small side. The largest bag I routinely use is a medium frame ALICE pack and I dont use the hip belt at all. If my pack is more than 20 pounds then I've started making mistakes before I've even left the house. I still carry IWB with these bags, but I do have drop leg holsters I could use instead. Since all my large bags come with an AK I've pretty much given up on appearing unarmed...

02LimitedX
05-24-2012, 12:18
My small bags (true 72 hour bags, designed to support me for three days in the woods with no resupply aside from water) are just that; small bags. When wearing one of them I carry normally, strong-side in a Don Hum 715 IWB holster.

My large bags (BOBs or INCH bags, designed to support me for a week or more without resupply) are still on the small side. The largest bag I routinely use is a medium frame ALICE pack and I dont use the hip belt at all. If my pack is more than 20 pounds then I've started making mistakes before I've even left the house. I still carry IWB with these bags, but I do have drop leg holsters I could use instead. Since all my large bags come with an AK I've pretty much given up on appearing unarmed...

Doing a little google search, an AK with loaded magazine is about 11.5 lbs. That leaves you 8.5 lbs for a weeks worth of supplies???

Lone Kimono
05-24-2012, 14:37
Doing a little google search, an AK with loaded magazine is about 11.5 lbs. That leaves you 8.5 lbs for a weeks worth of supplies???

I saw that AK weight on Wilki as well, but I don't believe it. They are about 6 or 7 lbs. The magazine would have to be close to the same weight as the gun. If that's right they sure don't feel that heavy.

Protus
05-25-2012, 11:56
I saw that AK weight on Wilki as well, but I don't believe it. They are about 6 or 7 lbs. The magazine would have to be close to the same weight as the gun. If that's right they sure don't feel that heavy.

1.2lbs iirc last i weighed one.
and the rifle sits near the 8-9 mark loaded as well iirc.(dependent on how much junk you got on it)_

SPIN2010
05-25-2012, 12:02

:agree:

Also, if you have the right pack it can fit right in the waist pocket with a velcro mounted internal holster.

I use a leg rig due to the G20 being my woods carry ... just a preference.

Lone Kimono
05-25-2012, 18:09
I'm not looking to be a mall ninja, but rather for practicality with proven effectiveness...how do people in special forces carry a pistol with a pack on? If it works for someone who trains to walk/run for miles and miles with a pack on it would work for my simple hikes into the woods.

02LimitedX
05-25-2012, 20:44
I'm not looking to be a mall ninja, but rather for practicality with proven effectiveness...how do people in special forces carry a pistol with a pack on? If it works for someone who trains to walk/run for miles and miles with a pack on it would work for my simple hikes into the woods.

I was never special forces but I was a grunt in the USMC. Those who carried pistols either had a drop leg holster or one mounted on their plate carrier across their chest.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Lone Kimono
05-25-2012, 20:54
I was never special forces but I was a grunt in the USMC. Those who carried pistols either had a drop leg holster or one mounted on their plate carrier across their chest.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Sorry, I should have said military instead of special forces. You are all experts in my eyes and I'm sure you use mostly the same gear.

expatman
05-25-2012, 23:26
I never used a hip belt on my pack when in the infantry.

Bilbo Bagins
05-30-2012, 07:49
I never used a hip belt on my pack when in the infantry.

What year where you in and what branch?

ALICE Pack = Belt

IIFS Pack = Belt

MOLLE Pack = Belt

I would love to learn about any beltless system out there that can carry a serious load.

BR549
05-30-2012, 08:40
Anything that can restrict the normal function of the muscles in the pelvic girdle should be avoided. Wearing a belt or hipbelt too low presses on the TFLs causing them to fatigue too soon. It also reduces blood flow and can improperly load your frame which will reduce using the muscles that should be "supporting" the weight and moving you.

Dexters
05-30-2012, 08:59
Anything that can restrict the normal function of the muscles in the pelvic girdle should be avoided. Wearing a belt or hipbelt too low presses on the TFLs causing them to fatigue too soon. It also reduces blood flow and can improperly load your frame which will reduce using the muscles that should be "supporting" the weight and moving you.

In other words; if you use something improperly it could be counterproductive/hurt you. Like if you do not practice good gun safety.

Good to know.

A hip belt, WHEN USED PROPERLY, transfers the weight of the pack to the legs allowing for efficient movement of the person.

They also reduce pack sway/instability. And it allow the wearer to "lay back" the pack to increase air flow across the back, when appropriate.

BR549
05-30-2012, 09:08
Yeah...

...Just wear some low-rise jeans/shorts with a semi-tight belt for a 3 mile walk/jog...

.You'll see what I mean about the TFL fatigue.

expatman
05-30-2012, 12:00
What year where you in and what branch?

ALICE Pack = Belt

IIFS Pack = Belt

MOLLE Pack = Belt

I would love to learn about any beltless system out there that can carry a serious load.

I was Airborne Infantry with the 3/325th and 2/504th from 1988 to 1995. I regularly carried rucks anywhere from 40 lbs. up to 100 lbs. Everyone I ever saw in any Infantry unit I ever came across had their hip belt on their rucks buckled back and around the base of the ALICE frame. In fact, we taped them in place that way so they would not work their way lose.

WolfNotSheep
06-05-2012, 13:56
My pack is twenty pounds or under. I do not include my EDC items in that number or any extra weight from whatever else I may be carrying.

Mountain10mm
06-07-2012, 13:12
I'm sure someone already mentioned this, but a shoulder holster works very well. I've spent weeks elk hunting in the Rockies carrying a 30 pound pack, not including a possibly attached bow or rifle, with the same needs/desires as you - quick access to a defensive firearm that is not attached to the pack. (Before someone asks why attach a rifle to the pack…it’s a lot easier to carry it that way when climbing a three-mile long trail, up a mountain at 4:00am – which is outside of hunting hours.) If I have to drop the pack for a stream crossing, bear encounter or "nature call", I'd still have protection. Galco makes several shoulder holsters that carry just about any gun and any size very efficiently. The great thing about shoulder holsters is their comfort and they carry extra magazines/speed loaders too.

A shoulder holster doesn't interfere with pack shoulder straps, hip belt, or chest straps, is not attached to the pack, can be easily concealed with a light vest or any other jacket/flannel shirt, doesn't look "tacticool," keeps the gun protected from the elements (unlike a dropped leg holster), and often accepts several pistols that vary in grip size and barrel length (e.g. glock 20/29). Even without a cover garment, the gun is mostly concealed from your arm, pack, and body. My advice is to get one with wide leather straps, as they spread the load better, and seem to flex and contour more naturally with your body.