If You Were God? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : If You Were God?

JBnTX
04-21-2012, 08:05
The Problem:
You are given an island where several tribes live.

By nature and culture, these tribes are exploitative and belligerent.

This results in much suffering on the island, caused by war poverty and prejudice.

They have been living this way for centuries without any sign of improvement.

Your Assignment:
To try to improve this society.

Under no circumstances are the natives of this island to be aware of your presence.

You have the opportunity to play God.
What would you do?

http://www.aish.com/sp/ph/48970646.html

John Rambo
04-21-2012, 08:07
If I'm God, how are you to tell me I have resources and equipment? I would be omnipotent and could do whatever I want to.

Your premise is folly.

steveksux
04-21-2012, 08:09
Save the girl with the biggest breasts. Nuke the rest from orbit. Repopulate. Vigorously.

Randy

JBnTX
04-21-2012, 08:18
I knew atheists couldn't take this seriously, because they'd probably do the exact same thing that God has been doing all along.

You can't improve on perfection.

:rofl:

Geko45
04-21-2012, 08:19
The restriction is abitrary and the reason given for its inclusion is unsupported. It's only there to try and lead you into making decisions similar to those that are ascribed to the judeo-christian god.

Animal Mother
04-21-2012, 09:09
The Problem:

This results in much suffering on the island, caused by war poverty and prejudice.

Your Assignment:

Under no circumstances are the natives of this island to be aware of your presence.

What would you do?

.. God is an observer from a technologically advanced civilization? Wasn't that the plotline of every other episode of both Star Trek and Star Trek: The Next Generation?

John Rambo
04-21-2012, 09:17
God is an observer from a technologically advanced civilization? Wasn't that the plotline of every other episode of both Star Trek and Star Trek: The Next Generation?

"Excuse me...What does GOD need with a starship?"

John Rambo
04-21-2012, 09:18
I knew atheists couldn't take this seriously, because they'd probably do the exact same thing that God has been doing all along.

You can't improve on perfection.

:rofl:

Next time don't post something thats such an obvious farce and you'll get better responses.

JBnTX
04-21-2012, 09:22
Next time don't post something thats such an obvious farce and you'll get better responses.

You're right!
I know better now.:rofl:

Geko45
04-21-2012, 11:21

"You've not answered his question. What does God need with a starship?"

Japle
04-21-2012, 13:24
Since I didn’t create the natives and they aren’t aware of my presence, I’d do what the OT god did with this planet. I’d make up a bunch of arbitrary and contradictory rules, not tell the natives what they were and punish them when they disobeyed me.

The natives are already living a miserable existence and I have no reason to “improve” their society to their benefit. I can “improve” it for my amusement, though.

Nobody said this task couldn’t be assigned to a psychopath.

Guss
04-21-2012, 14:03
It's better than riding an ass into Jerusalem.

Guss
04-21-2012, 14:05
Handle it Old Testament style. Have one part of the population massacre the rest and you're left with a more sustainable population/resource ratio.

AlexHassin
04-21-2012, 14:55
Have all the tribes send a sacrifice of young beautifulwomen to my abode. Any that fail I will go Old testament on them. :)<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Trough reward and punishment I will get all the tribes tofallow and worship me. I would also subliminally advance them technologically. <o:p></o:p>

Once they are allunited in their fear/ love of me, I will push them to a more technologicalstate, have them leave the island and conquer more lands for me. <o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

That is if I don’t get tired first and make it like battleroyal film it and sell it on pay per view. Last tribe standing is the chosen people.<o:p></o:p>

Lone Wolf8634
04-21-2012, 15:46
Subliminally plant suggestions that help them build boats and encourage exploration.

When the island is depopulated, hire a midget and an overacting Spanish man, in white tuxedos, buy a plane to ferry rich losers to the island and use my advanced technology to make their fantasy's come true.

Bren
04-21-2012, 15:49
If I was god, I wonder why insignificant things like these tribes, or even the island, need to exist in the first palce. Then I'd probably lose interest in them.

RWBlue
04-21-2012, 16:53
The Problem:

Your Assignment:

What would you do?

I would give them an outside threat that they can defeat if and only if they join forces.

Or kill off two tribes. leaving one to thrive on the island.

04-21-2012, 18:41
If I was a god I wouldn't do a thing. I mean, why would I bother with such insignificant, flawed, beings? I have other things to do, like ignore prayers.

IhRedrider
04-21-2012, 18:59
For the atheists responding to this thread.

You profess to not believe in God, yet you have an opinion on what you would do if you were God.

So, you must believe in the concept of God, yet you just don't believe in the "current regime". Is this correct, or did I miss it?

Geko45
04-21-2012, 19:28
So, you must believe in the concept of God, yet you just don't believe in the "current regime". Is this correct, or did I miss it?

You missed it. Just maybe, since they can't understand why god wouldn't act rationally given the current state of affairs and do something then they conclude he isn't there.

Next...

04-21-2012, 19:53

You profess to not believe in God, yet you have an opinion on what you would do if you were God.

I don't believe in the easter bunny but I can pretend what I'd do if I were it.

I don't believe in the Greek/Roman/Norse/pagan gods but I can pretend what I'd do if I were them.

I could go on, but I think you can see how that works. So yeah, I guess you missed it - whatever "it" was.

I do like the myth of Krampus, though.

Guss
04-21-2012, 21:34

All accounts of God were written by people who wished they were God. There's never been a god to write anything.

G23Gen4TX
04-22-2012, 02:23
If I was god I'd make everyone the same color and maybe even the same sex.

An island or red head lesbians. Now that's a thought.

Bren
04-22-2012, 03:53

I've seen your posts in a couple of threads now, and they are not very witty, like you seem to think they are. We all know what a "god" is and we even know the difference between the various kinds from various religions. In fact, the atheists show time and again that they know more about the subject than the theists (which may be where the difference lies).

Are you suggesting that we should pretend to be stupid and not know what god is, because we don't believe in him? I know plenty about bigfoot and santa claus, as well.

cowboywannabe
04-22-2012, 04:01
if i were God i would not have created such imperfections, if i made them in my own image that is.

this thread is like the book: Bigfoot, truth or real?

TangoFoxtrot
04-22-2012, 07:51
The Problem:

Your Assignment:

What would you do?

Show them there is something other than the material world, something good. :dunno:

NMG26
04-22-2012, 08:05
The Problem:

Your Assignment:

What would you do?

I'm God? I'd show up on the scene as a holy man. I would preach peace and love. I would start a band and make some good music with some good lyrics. I would never leave. I would always be there, and just come back as a "new man with a peace plan" when people started noticing that I never died. Heck, they could kill me over and over again, but I would just keep preaching peace.

Pretty cool being omnipotent.

Woofie
04-22-2012, 09:48
God is an observer from a technologically advanced civilization? Wasn't that the plotline of every other episode of both Star Trek and Star Trek: The Next Generation?

At least in Star Trek they don't violate the Prime Directive.

04-22-2012, 15:26
At least in Star Trek they don't violate the Prime Directive.

Picard did on several occasions.

Woofie
04-22-2012, 18:56
Picard did on several occasions.

Well a REAL starship captain would never violate the prime directive.:whistling:

IhRedrider
04-22-2012, 19:47
For the atheists who responded to my post,

From what I've read of your posts, you do believe there could be a God. If this is wrong, please explain how you can not believe that there could be a God, yet you can pretend to know what you would do if you were God.

ArtificialGrape
04-22-2012, 19:52
Well a REAL starship captain would never violate the prime directive.:whistling:
Lord Xenu?

We need a Scientologist around here.

-ArtificialGrape

Geko45
04-22-2012, 19:58
If You Were God?

Two words, hookers and blow...

:whistling:

ArtificialGrape
04-22-2012, 20:04

From what I've read of your posts, you do believe there could be a God. If this is wrong, please explain how you can not believe that there could be a God, yet you can pretend to know what you would do if you were God.
While I had not responded to the OP prior to your earlier message (or even now), the answer to your question should be obvious. I can discuss what superhero I would want to be, or what superpower I would want to have without believing that superheroes and superpowers are real. Anybody familiar with the attributes associated with God could choose to answer the hypothetical -- it's playing make-believe.

-ArtificialGrape

Gunhaver
04-22-2012, 20:07

Why this constant lame attempt to trick atheists into realizing they believe in god? Here's a hint, the problem isn't that we haven't thought enough about it. It's that we've thought about it too much.

Lone Wolf8634
04-22-2012, 20:12

You may wish to read that again while keeping in mind that most people do have imaginations.

My imagination made me wanna recreate "Fantasy Island." :supergrin:

Geko45
04-22-2012, 20:59

Because we have the capacity for abstract thought. Novelists can dream up extraordinary tales of impossible happenings. That doesn't mean that they believe what they wrote is real.

janice6
04-22-2012, 21:11
If I was god I'd make everyone the same color and maybe even the same sex.

An island or red head lesbians. Now that's a thought.

It is if you are a lesbian.

Woofie
04-22-2012, 21:36

The same way one can discuss Star Trek even though Spock didn't really die fighting Kahn and get resurrected on the Genesis planet.

Animal Mother
04-22-2012, 22:26
Well a REAL starship captain would never violate the prime directive.:whistling:Here's a real challenge: name a captain who didn't violate the Prime Directive.

04-22-2012, 23:07
Here's a real challenge: name a captain who didn't violate the Prime Directive.http://cdn.babble.com/famecrawler/files/2011/03/capn-crunch.jpg

04-22-2012, 23:19

Check this out;

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Imagination definition

BuckeyePPC
04-23-2012, 06:54
Here's a real challenge: name a captain who didn't violate the Prime Directive.

Capt. Archer because there was no such thing as the Prime Directive when he captained the first Enterprise. :supergrin:

Woofie
04-23-2012, 08:43
Here's a real challenge: name a captain who didn't violate the Prime Directive.

I don't recall April, Pike, Decker, Spock, or Harriman ever violating it.

juggy4711
04-24-2012, 23:00
If I am an omnipresent, omniscient, all powerful God I do whatever I want and it sure as heck wouldn't be create a world were bad things happen to anyone. It would be paradise for all by design. Any other answer and I would be the biggest d-bag in history.

CitizenOfDreams
04-24-2012, 23:27
The tribe leaders who incite war will suddenly die from a mysterious illness. Repeat until all the tribes are ruled by people who prefer cooperation with their neighbors.