Are Springfield GI Champion 1911's good CC handguns? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Are Springfield GI Champion 1911's good CC handguns?

nokestar
04-21-2012, 12:02
I have only owned glocks in my day but due to financial issues, had to part with all of them. I am now back on the market for a CC handgun but I'm considering all options.

I came across the Springfield GI 1911 model and really like the way it looks and feels. My problem is I don't know anything about them. Glocks are so easy to take apart and clean and are obviously reliable. I've read in the past that 1911's need to be babied a bit more and are harder to take apart.

For those that own one of these guns how do you compare them to a Glock and would you choose a gun like this for daily carry?

faawrenchbndr
04-21-2012, 12:26
They are solid, but sights are lacking

nokestar
04-21-2012, 12:31
Can the sights be upgraded?

okie
04-21-2012, 12:55
Can the sights be upgraded?

I believe the front sight is staked in so it would be expensive to replace and the rear sights I'm not sure of. If money is short you may want to look at a Rock island Armory:supergrin:

FLIPPER 348
04-21-2012, 14:26
It is a military side arm, why would you want to CCW such a huge and heavy pistol?

Baba Louie
04-21-2012, 15:28
For those that own one of these guns how do you compare them to a Glock and would you choose a gun like this for daily carry?They are heavier than most glocks I understand, hold very few rounds when compared to most glocks... but you could carry one concealed. I have. Size is OK. There are lighter weight choices out there.

Sights, as noted, are diminuitive in nature (they suck for old eyes), some like the 2 piece guide rod and bull barrel, others, less so.

It is what it is and if you're young and in good shape, have no problems with 2+ pounds of solid steel riding on your hip all day, you'll probably really like it. I like mine. It is now on bedside duty. I carry something a lot lighter.

YMMV

limbkiller
04-21-2012, 16:23
The sights are real small But Colt has the defender w/out sights. I have carried mine at times but have lots of 1911s to choose from. I can't stand Glocks and would never carry one. Revolvers and 1911s are what I carry.

NeverMore1701
04-21-2012, 16:37
It is a military side arm, why would you want to CCW such a huge and heavy pistol?

Because he's comfortable with the platform and shoots it well?

:dunno: