Fly problems [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Fly problems

barbedwiresmile
04-21-2012, 17:06
A warm winter couples with the lack of a late freeze means this is already a bad fly year. And it's going to get worse. Some of you may already be experiencing this. Flies are nasty, uncomfortable, and can put young livestock and especially rabbits at risk of flystrike.

Here's three tips for dealing with black fly problems in barns and in/around the house.

1. DIY fly spray. Fill a pot with water. Add two tablespoons each of peppermint oil, cinnamon oil, and sesame oil. Cover and bring to a boil. Let cool and fill up a spray bottle. This stuff will kill flies on contact. And you won't have to worry about getting chemicals in your house, barn, chicken coop, etc.

2. DIY fly traps. These are extremely cheap to make so you can put them all around your house, in your barn, etc. Cut a 2 liter soda bottle about two thirds to the top - right before where the bottle just starts to taper. Fill the bottom a third full of a sugar water mix. Put the top part upside down into the bottom part so you have a funnel facing down. There should be at least an inch between the spout of the bottle and the water level. Cut two holes through the top edge of the trap facing each other (the holes will be through both halves of the bottle). Take a coat hanger and squeeze each end together with a pair of pliers. Insert each end into the holes in the trap and bend up to keep them in place. Now use the hook of the coat hanger to hang it anywhere you have a fly problem. Alternatively, you can use chicken livers or bits of any meat instead of sugar water. If made right and placed strategically, these will fill up with flies quickly. Once full, just throw them away and replace. Or you can dump them out and refill.

3. If you keep chickens, let them free range all over - even around the house. They'll eat larva and bugs all day long. You'll notice a big difference, especially in the mosquito population.

Hope this helps. I know I've got a really bad fly problem this year, especially in the barns.

Bolster
04-21-2012, 18:18
Thanks!!

Can you by chance show me a diagram or photo of #2?

Ruble Noon
04-21-2012, 20:29
A warm winter couples with the lack of a late freeze means this is already a bad fly year. And it's going to get worse. Some of you may already be experiencing this. Flies are nasty, uncomfortable, and can put young livestock and especially rabbits at risk of flystrike.

Here's three tips for dealing with black fly problems in barns and in/around the house.

1. DIY fly spray. Fill a pot with water. Add two tablespoons each of peppermint oil, cinnamon oil, and sesame oil. Cover and bring to a boil. Let cool and fill up a spray bottle. This stuff will kill flies on contact. And you won't have to worry about getting chemicals in your house, barn, chicken coop, etc.

2. DIY fly traps. These are extremely cheap to make so you can put them all around your house, in your barn, etc. Cut a 2 liter soda bottle about two thirds to the top - right before where the bottle just starts to taper. Fill the bottom a third full of a sugar water mix. Put the top part upside down into the bottom part so you have a funnel facing down. There should be at least an inch between the spout of the bottle and the water level. Cut two holes through the top edge of the trap facing each other (the holes will be through both halves of the bottle). Take a coat hanger and squeeze each end together with a pair of pliers. Insert each end into the holes in the trap and bend up to keep them in place. Now use the hook of the coat hanger to hang it anywhere you have a fly problem. Alternatively, you can use chicken livers or bits of any meat instead of sugar water. If made right and placed strategically, these will fill up with flies quickly. Once full, just throw them away and replace. Or you can dump them out and refill.

3. If you keep chickens, let them free range all over - even around the house. They'll eat larva and bugs all day long. You'll notice a big difference, especially in the mosquito population.

Hope this helps. I know I've got a really bad fly problem this year, especially in the barns.

Good info.

I wonder if your fly spray would work as a repellant? I always hated spraying chemicals on my horses.

lawman800
04-21-2012, 23:24
I know what you mean, those flies are playing havoc with my GSD and her ears. I feel horrible watching her dodge the flies all day and even coating her ears with the fly repellent only works so well... thought about just bandaging her ears up but that doesn't do her any good either.

The DIY fly spray is awesome, I always feel bad spraying RAID all over the place.

As far as the bottle goes, do you have an illustration? I get the part about putting the top half of the bottle inverted into the bottom half but the wire hanger part got me a bit confused... not the most engineering qualified person here.

cyrsequipment
04-22-2012, 02:20

?
I'm thinking that a cure involving chickens getting into my house might be worse than the flies. How do you get chicken dung out of a rug?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Stevekozak
04-22-2012, 06:33
Good info.

I wonder if your fly spray would work as a repellant? I always hated spraying chemicals on my horses.
I was wondering this for the same reason!!

barbedwiresmile
04-22-2012, 07:10

?
I'm thinking that a cure involving chickens getting into my house might be worse than the flies. How do you get chicken dung out of a rug?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
:rofl:
I suppose I didn't phrase that properly: around the outside of the house. :)

Regarding requests for pics, I can't post them from my iPad. But I googled "homemade fly trap" and the pics there are of what I'm talking about.

Regarding using the spray as a repellant: haven't tried it. The spray will have a strong (but pleasant) smell. Not sure how dogs or horses would take to it. However, when I use it on areas where flies congregate I notice that even thought it kills them, it doesn't seem to prevent them from coming back. I assume that the while the oils kill them, odor of the oils doesn't repel them.

TangoFoxtrot
04-22-2012, 07:32
I know its only April but the weather in the N.E. U.S has been on the warm side and the flies are already starting to be a PITA. So I going to try this, what the hell.

Babynine
04-22-2012, 08:06
Catnip plants repel mosquitos, and dried lavender flowers can be hung near doors to reduce insects entering your home. The lavender flowers are also supposed to prevent moth damage to wool clothing when hung in a closet.

BORNGEARHEAD
04-22-2012, 09:52
Great info. If I remember right, this will also work with hornets. Just put sugar water in the bottom instead.