Garand is a Star on YouTube for a Day! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Garand is a Star on YouTube for a Day!

Amsdorf
04-22-2012, 05:45
So, I uploaded a little video yesterday about shooting the Garand and then suddenly my email box was flooded with notifications of people watching and commenting on my video. I had no idea what was going on, until somebody told me that, for reasons I still don't understand, the video was featured on YouTube's main/home page.

I finally figured out that if I signed out of my YouTube account, I could see the YouTube main/home page, and ... yup ... sure enough: my little video.

It was a hoot yesterday reading the comments, you might get a kick out of them too.

As of this morning, my video is still a featured video on the YouTube main/home page and has been viewed over 100,000 times.

Cool for the Garand and 1903. It is interesting to notice in a good number of comments people have never seen or heard a Garand.

Here's the video, if you want to take a look at it:

http://youtu.be/veBG3YnyL5w?hd=1

sr975j
04-22-2012, 23:15
awesome video. my grandpas got a 1943 or 1944 (cant remember) Springfield M1 Garand. i shot it when i was maybe 8 years old and it hasnt been shot since (im 23 now)....ive been trying to convince him to get it out again.

also, does the Garand need special 30-06 rounds? ive heard the modern stuff is too hot. is this correct?

Amsdorf
04-23-2012, 18:14
Thanks for the comment and for watching.

Modern commercial .30-06 should not be used with a M1 Garand without an adjustable gas plug for it so you do not cause damage to the rifle.

I'd suggest you check out the Civilian Marksmanship Program. They sell Greek surplus .30-06 ammo called HXP. It is the precise form of the .30-06 ammunition made for the Garand in 1938, the Cartridge .30 M2 Ball, which uses a flat-based bullet fired at a higher muzzle velocity (2,805 ft/s) than either of its predecessors.