My first 1911 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : My first 1911

fendertele87
04-22-2012, 15:57
I paid $400 for this RIA 1911. Everything on it is super tight, nothing loose. Can't wait to shoot it.

Advice before I shoot: would you recommend giving it a good cleaning before I take her out?

jg420
04-22-2012, 16:28
Congrats you just became an owner of an extremely addictive style of firearm. I will usually just take mine out and shoot it without cleaning first, but I am sure others will suggest otherwise. Either way you will love the 1911, I just like to take my gun out and see how it performs right out of the box.

Ruggles
04-22-2012, 16:30
Nice :) Congrats, I predict more in the future for you. I hear great things about ATIs :)

I would lightly lube the slide/frame (where they meet and interact) and then shoot the snot out of it.

Have fun.

TSAX
04-22-2012, 17:20
Id recommend this 1911, for is price $400 a solid 1911

:50cal:

itstime
04-22-2012, 17:24
I shot one out of the box. Worked fine. Still works fine. Great pistol to start off with. You should have no regrets.

bac1023
04-22-2012, 17:58
Congrats on your fist 1911! :cool:

Troubled Gecko
04-22-2012, 18:25
Nice RIA and congrad's,

I always clean a brand new weapon prior to shooting it to make sure theres no debris left behined from fabrication and I remove the extra oil from the inside of the barrel.

All loading is done via magazine, don't drop a rnd in the barrel and let the slide drop! The extractor will have to jump the rear of the casing and in doing so you ruin the extractor tension or may chip/break the extractor hook.

Pay attention to the recoil spring, the opened loop end is at the muzzle end and closed loop at the rear sight end of the weapon.

The slide stop is just that not a slide release. If you don't wan't to wear out the notch in your slide then relase the slide by simply pulling it back with a loaded mag.

Never let the slide slam closed on an empty 1911, ride it closed. The trigger job can be ruined and you needlessly batter the locking lugs of the barrel/slide.

Before reassembly beware of "idiot scratch", happens when you put the slide stop back in the gun if you're not careful. Look on youtube or do a search on the topic. The plunger tube plunger needs to be cleared (use a ball point pen to push it to the side) to snap the slide stop back into place. A corner of a buisness card to protect the finish helps to.

Good luck!

Danimal3805
04-22-2012, 19:02
Congratulations!! Those seem to be great guns for the money!! I'd do at least a field strip before your first outing with it. Then after you get home, DETAIL strip it. Really get to know your 1911. It isn't as scary as you'd think. Youtube helps a LOT:rofl:
I love mine!! Of course mine is the uber-cool "Tactical" model! :rofl::tongueout:

Kegs
04-22-2012, 19:41
I paid $400 for this RIA 1911. Everything on it is super tight, nothing loose. Can't wait to shoot it.

Advice before I shoot: would you recommend giving it a good cleaning before I take her out?

These are great guns! Wow will that trigger feel nice compared to a Glock...

I always recommend a good cleaning before shooting a new gun and a good cleaning after each outing. You never know when you may NEED it - and a clean gun jams less than a dirty one does.

TN.Frank
04-22-2012, 19:41
Clean it, lube it(slide, barrel at the bushing end, little bit down where the hammer is when it cocked back and on the slide stop where it goes into the barrel link) and shoot it. Eventually once you shoot it a bit you can see what you like and what you think you'll want to change. Do a google on 1911 Reliability Tips and Tricks. Certain areas like a bit of polish on em' so they'll run smoother but if you shoot it a lot those areas will polish out on their own eventually. Congrats on the new gun, if you end up liking it you'll be hooked for life. 1911's are almost as bad as black powder firearms, once it gets into your blood that's it, you can never go back.LOL

fendertele87
04-22-2012, 19:51
Thanks guys! I'll definitely give it a good cleaning then before I shoot it. I know some people complain about how much keep up a 1911 is compared to a glock but I like that kinda stuff. Taken apart and cleaning and what not. I can't wait to get this baby going. I've been dry shooting it for a bit. Just getting a good feel for bringing the sights in and the trigger pull.

Is it ok to dry fire a 1911 like it is a glock?

TN.Frank
04-22-2012, 20:26
First thing that I would do when funds allow is to ditch those plain, boring looking grips and get a set of Double Diamonds from CDNN OR if funds really allow get a set of VZ Grips. I really like the DD's I put on my ATI BUT those VZ Grips keep calling my name, may need to break down and buy a set. Lots of guys have posted pics of their pistols with the VZ Grips, they're awesome lookng.

fendertele87
04-22-2012, 21:07
First thing that I would do when funds allow is to ditch those plain, boring looking grips and get a set of Double Diamonds from CDNN OR if funds really allow get a set of VZ Grips. I really like the DD's I put on my ATI BUT those VZ Grips keep calling my name, may need to break down and buy a set. Lots of guys have posted pics of their pistols with the VZ Grips, they're awesome lookng.

Yeah, grips are defiantly on my list.

Folsom_Prison
04-22-2012, 21:11
Congrats!

okie
04-23-2012, 07:25
Many congrats my friend:thumbsup:

Wetrudgeon
04-23-2012, 08:53
In our experience, a good cleaning is prudent. One or more good mags are also indicated. For us, Wilson 47D mags enhanced reliability over the factory mags.

We trudge on.

Camu Mahubah
04-23-2012, 10:09
Thanks guys! I'll definitely give it a good cleaning then before I shoot it. I know some people complain about how much keep up a 1911 is compared to a glock but I like that kinda stuff. Taken apart and cleaning and what not. I can't wait to get this baby going. I've been dry shooting it for a bit. Just getting a good feel for bringing the sights in and the trigger pull.

Is it ok to dry fire a 1911 like it is a glock?

Did you keep your Glock? If so you are well armed.

Yes you can dry fire the 1911...that said snap caps are cheap...

fendertele87
04-23-2012, 10:41
Did you keep your Glock? If so you are well armed.
I actually didn't keep the glock. The grip is just a bit to wide. I'd like to get a g19 for when I start to carry.

gen423mike
04-23-2012, 10:56
very nice! ive heard a lot of good things about RIA...
1911's are a blast to shoot!!

TN.Frank
04-23-2012, 11:33
My ATI really likes these mags, might give em' a try in your RIA.
http://www.topgunsupply.com/check-mate-.45acp-7rd-blue-hybrid-cmf-full-size-1911-magazine.html
Of course a lot of folks like an 8 round mag, CheckMate makes those too, just check around the site a bit and you'll find em'.
I like my DD grips from CDNN but these would really look killer IMHO.
http://vzgrips.com/gun-grips/1911-pistol-grips-1/elite-tactical-carry-2/etc-black-cherry-g10
It's just I have a few other things I wanted to upgrade before I spend any money on another set of grips.

fendertele87
04-23-2012, 14:15
In just about all the cleaning videos I watch I see people using this Ballistol oil. I got a Hoppes .45 cleaning kit for like $13. Did I get screwed in the "you know what"? Just want to make sure I get the right stuff. I heard something about the Hoppes oil can mess with the wood on your grips or something like that.

TN.Frank
04-23-2012, 15:40
I've been using Ballistol for years, love the stuff.
Also, here's what your RIA would look like with the VZ Grips on it that I'd like to get for my ATI.
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w22/MickeyD1/RIALH.jpg
I think it looks totally killer.:cool:

st2012
04-23-2012, 21:13
Looks like a great deal, congrats!

Chewy Montenegro
04-23-2012, 21:34
I have the same gun! Great choice. However, mine has a set of checkered grips for a more positive grip.

fendertele87
04-23-2012, 22:08
I have the same gun! Great choice. However, mine has a set of checkered grips for a more positive grip.

I want some checkered grips.. Just don't have the extra cash just yet.. But I will soon.

sna0403
04-29-2012, 20:14
And one of the most important things-RIAs have a lifetime warranty-mot just the owner but the weapon. The guys in Nevada that do the work here in the States are awesome! That being said: My version of a MS (4") Tactical I carry on and off duty every day.

http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m552/sna0403/th_MyMSTac.jpg (http://s1131.photobucket.com/albums/m552/sna0403/?action=view&current=MyMSTac.jpg)