What ammo does your .22 AR conversion run on? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What ammo does your .22 AR conversion run on?

njl
04-22-2012, 16:07
I've had a Ceiner .22 conversion for many years, but never put a whole lot of rounds through it. There's a local pin match that allows any center fire pistol, pistol caliber carbine, or rimfire rifle or pistol...and I was thinking of trying it using an AR with the conversion. So, I went to the range today with one of my ARs, the conversion, and a few boxes of ammo to try, along with my Brownells/BDM .22 conversion mags which I also hadn't bothered trying out yet.

First was Federal bulk pack from WalMart. I ran 4 mags (of 10) of that without any trouble. Then I tried Remington Golden Bullet (also WalMart bulk pack). I had trouble with several of the first ones of those not wanting to fully chamber. Then I tried CCI Minimags, and had the same problem. I went back to the Federal, and didn't have any chambering issues, but started having ejection failures. The empty cases would extract, but then get caught up in the conversion bolt instead of ejecting.

I gave the conversion bolt some extra lube before getting started, so I know insufficient lubrication wasn't an issue. I'm guessing the main problem is the chamber needs a good cleaning. I don't think I've ever done more than run a bore snake through it.

blee2112
04-23-2012, 09:27
I have an Advantage Arms conversion. It includes a list of the recommended ammo to use. On that list I'm using Remington Golden Bullets, and it does pretty well. Occasional stovepipes, etc but I think that's just the nature of the beast with .22LR. I'm going to try CCI mini-mags eventually (also on the list).

doublenuthin
04-23-2012, 14:20
I've been running a 36 grain federal in my CMMG. One bobble out of 6 mags so it seems pretty solid for me.

Titurel
04-23-2012, 16:45
I've been shooting Centurion in my Ciener with good results. Its a good choice for semi-autos, definitely a step up from bulk ammo for a little bit more money. I think its worth it to not have to deal with frequent duds and wildly inconsistent loads. Palmetto used to have it, they don't seem to anymore but sportsman's guide does for $25/500.

Cleaning the chamber is a good idea, but that residue/crud gets baked on there and is tough to remove. Just because a patch comes out clean doesn't mean that its all gone. I have used pieces of wood and plastic to scrape it out and sometimes I chuck up a brush in a drill to power it out. Also that yellow lead removing cloth does a good job.