Non-food grade plastic bin for storing food [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Non-food grade plastic bin for storing food

glockeglock
04-22-2012, 17:45

bdcochran
04-22-2012, 18:07
When you can go to Lowe's, Home Depot, or the equivalent store and buy a food grade container for about $5, why would you voluntarily assume the risk of the mylar bag failing and chemicals going into the food? Why?

Moreover, no one out here (not having seen you pack your food) can give you an opinion that what you are doing is correct.:upeyes:

glockeglock
04-22-2012, 18:20

Protus
04-26-2012, 16:52
Quick question:

I have vacuum packed long-term storage food in mylar bags. Is it really necessary to store the bagged food in non food-grade storage containers? I ask because I already have two non-food grade plastic tubs that would work quite well for protecting the mylar bags from damage.

Thank you,
GeG

if the non food grade tubs were not holding caustic material( acids, petrol etc) you are g2g. It's the same concept as non food grade buckets that we covered in your last "food " packing thread

SFCSMITH(RET)
04-26-2012, 17:45
I have seen many people use "non food grade" but clean and never held bad stuff buckets before. I do believe that with a mylar liner and sealed, it should be ok..

But since I can go to wallyworld and get used frosting buckets that are food grade for a buck a bucket with lid.. that's how I do it..

This was a $25 morning..

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w88/maypo59/buckets.jpg